PDA

View Full Version : If Bohemians did a BATE/Famagusta.....

Pages : [1] 2

irishultra
22/04/2009, 9:41 AM
how do you think it would change the make up of the league? would it lead to a gap widening between Bohs and the rest especially in this economic climate?

LeixlipRed
22/04/2009, 9:49 AM
They might just break even more like.

irishultra
22/04/2009, 9:52 AM
thats what i was thinking.

Mr A
22/04/2009, 10:01 AM
I think it's quite clear that Bohs WILL do a BATE/Famagusta.

After all, it says they're going to increase their European activities in their accounts, so it must be true.

Dyl10
22/04/2009, 10:11 AM
A better question is, what happens if Bohs don't do a BATE/Famagusta?

Mr A
22/04/2009, 10:13 AM

No it isn't. You clearly haven't read their accounts.

Or at least the bit where it says that they're going to expand their European activities.

WoodquayBoy
22/04/2009, 10:18 AM

Or at least the bit where it says that they're going to expand their European activities.
That could just mean they are going on a foreign holiday this year, or are introducing a Mediterranean diet

A face
22/04/2009, 10:22 AM
how do you think it would change the make up of the league? would it lead to a gap widening between Bohs and the rest especially in this economic climate?

What does 'doing a BATE/Famagusta' mean?

Hibs4Ever
22/04/2009, 10:23 AM
What does 'doing a BATE/Famagusta' mean?

I assume CL group stages

placid casual
22/04/2009, 10:32 AM

and an even better questions is...
what happens if bohs fans dont get their heads outta their holes??:eek::rolleyes:

passerrby
22/04/2009, 12:58 PM

a much better question is whats a BATE/famagusta.

SunderlandBohs
22/04/2009, 1:12 PM
I'd be glad if we did it just to clear our debts nevermind widening the gap.:o

Guts&Glory
22/04/2009, 1:26 PM

......and clearly you havent read the part in their accounts where it outlines the debt of the club and the restructuring of the clubs finances that had to be done.

Just because they say they are going to expand their European activities does not equate to a given that they will be successful in qualifying for the group stages of the CL.

Let them fire ahead trying to get to the CL Group Stages, rack up more debt and run themselvs out of business altogether.

The fact that they see their perceived out of their current plight of financial trouble is to plough more money into a black hole should surely ring alarm bells for their supporters.

If anyone points to the value of the ground that no one wants to buy as a bankable asset they are totally deluding themselves.

In case ye havent noticed there is a fair number of spare apartments, houses and shopping centre units available without any prospective buyer thinking Dalymount would be a runner for such a development.

Oh that and most of the developers are now technically bankrupt.

As placid casual says about Bohs fans having their heads up their arses (and anyone lese who thniks they have a point) - unless they take them outta there the club will be gone sooner than they think.

Sam_Heggy
22/04/2009, 1:29 PM

After all, it says they're going to increase their European activities in their accounts, so it must be true.

Aidan, did you just miss the Urban Myth thread.

Dodge
22/04/2009, 2:00 PM
......and clearly you havent read the part in their accounts where it outlines the debt of the club and the restructuring of the clubs finances that had to be done.

:eek: WOW

Why so negative? What have Bohs board done wriong in the past 2/3 years that could possibly lead you to believe that they'd be wrong about this?

Guitd
22/04/2009, 2:04 PM

the do what other clubs have done last year ---go into examinership and pay everyone the owe 6c in the euro and everything will be ok again:):D:D

Mr A
22/04/2009, 2:13 PM

Ack. Now you're just being cynical.

Larry 'da' Wyse
22/04/2009, 2:24 PM

Maybe the accounts were referring to the €100,000 recently received from Wolves. :D

pól-dcfc
22/04/2009, 2:36 PM
Maybe the accounts were referring to the €100,000 recently received from Wolves. :D

So what does that leave the debt at?

Dodge
22/04/2009, 2:51 PM
∞ -100,000 I believe

SkStu
22/04/2009, 2:53 PM
debts r bad, mmmkay?

pineapple stu
22/04/2009, 3:15 PM
Is Mr A just thanking everyone on this thread?!

brianw82
22/04/2009, 3:15 PM
debts r bad, mmmkay?

Not necessarily. If it's a reasonable amount, and the club's finances can handle the repayments, there's no problem with being forever in debt.

However, that's rarely ever the case. The debt just keeps on piling up.

dcfcsteve
22/04/2009, 3:30 PM
and an even better questions is...
what happens if bohs fans dont get their heads outta each other's holes??:eek::rolleyes:

Isn't that what doing a BATE involves......?

pineapple stu
22/04/2009, 3:33 PM
Can I have a button to thank someone for thanking me?

SkStu
22/04/2009, 3:34 PM
your work is certainly underappreciated Stu.

redobit
22/04/2009, 3:36 PM
Let them fire ahead trying to get to the CL Group Stages, rack up more debt and run themselvs out of business altogether.

The fact that they see their perceived out of their current plight of financial trouble is to plough more money into a black hole should surely ring alarm bells for their supporters.

Exactly, the worst thing that they could do at this stage is throw good money after bad.

When you are sick you got to take your medicine sooner or later.

Dodge
22/04/2009, 3:40 PM
Exactly, the worst thing that they could do at this stage is throw good money after bad.

When you are sick you got to take your medicine sooner or later.

What are you a woman? Its been scientifically proven, by MEN, that ignoring pretty much all diseases causes them to go away sooner or later

Dalymountrower
22/04/2009, 3:40 PM
Not necessarily. If it's a reasonable amount, and the club's finances can handle the repayments, there's no problem with being forever in debt.

However, that's rarely ever the case. The debt just keeps on piling up.

Whats a sensible post doing in this wind-up thread? We really need to aim for the debt-free/ european success-free model thats a logical consequence of the FAI`s restraint of trade 65% "cap".

Any club trying to emulate Bate would need to hook up with the Russian Mafia for joint money laundering ventures as they did . It didn`t work for Shels though when they cosied up to the Monk and his associates some years ago.

Longfordian
22/04/2009, 3:43 PM
Hmm so you're saying Shels were involved in money laundering some years ago?. Interesting theory, not sure I'd put it up here though.

Dalymountrower
22/04/2009, 3:54 PM
No not Shelbourne f.c. as is presently constituted, the reference is to a former (now deceased) Director, who formerly had complete control over the club and who engaged in highly questionable activities with individuals known to the Gardai. These activities necessitated an ongoing presence at the time
in the Tolka bars of Special Branch and Criminal Assets Bureau officers.

No suggestion that anyone now associated with the club engaged then or since in those questionable activities.

SunderlandBohs
22/04/2009, 3:58 PM
It didn`t work for Shels though when they cosied up to the Monk and his associates some years ago.
Wasn't The Monk mean't to involved with us as well? When Roddy collins was around?

SkStu
22/04/2009, 4:00 PM
No not Shelbourne f.c. as is presently constituted, the reference is to a former (now deceased) Director, who formerly had complete control over the club and who engaged in highly questionable activities with individuals known to the Gardai. These activities necessitated an ongoing presence at the time

No suggestion that anyone now associated with the club engaged then or since in those questionable activities.

dont worry, you cant defame the deceased. It was Ollie Byrne, convicted cigarette smuggler.

Longfordian
22/04/2009, 4:07 PM

Yeah I had heard stories about how he'd borrowed money from shady characters over the years to be paid back in some vague shape or form in the future. Then when he took ill there were a few looking to know where they stood. So go the stories anyway.

passerrby
22/04/2009, 4:27 PM
if ollie shafted some dublins crim then he can only go up in my estimation ..taken from currupt criminals and given to the .........criminally insane.

irishultra
22/04/2009, 6:29 PM
if celtic were playing manchester united and bohemians were playing AEK athens at dalymount on the same nigh, which game do ya suppose RTE would show?

Umberside
22/04/2009, 6:32 PM
if celtic were playing manchester united and bohemians were playing AEK athens at dalymount on the same nigh, which game do ya suppose RTE would show?

Celtic v Man Utd unless the FAI put pressure on them to show the Bohs game.

pól-dcfc
22/04/2009, 6:36 PM

Definitely the Bohs game.

I think they would love to show the Celtic v Manchester United one, but they would be under far to much pressure to have that sort of brass neck.

BohDiddley
22/04/2009, 6:37 PM
if celtic were playing manchester united and bohemians were playing AEK athens at dalymount on the same nigh
That'd be some gate all right.

Umberside
22/04/2009, 6:40 PM
That'd be some gate all right.

If the match really was played, it would have to move to the RDS or even Lansdowne Road? Bohs would/could get an even bigger gate.

irishultra
22/04/2009, 6:41 PM

I think they would love to show the Celtic v Manchester United one, but they would be under far to much pressure to have that sort of brass neck.

Could ya imagine Bill O'Herlihly, John Giles, Graham Souness and Dunphy sitting on at their table talking about a league of ireland side? i wonder would dunphy or giles know any of the players. giles i think probaly has a bubble around the island of britian, and everywhere outside of that is blocked from his mental state.

TonyD
22/04/2009, 7:56 PM

Don't bet on it. I'd never underestimate the brass neck of RTE. And who would put them under pressure ? Man U fan John The Laney and his stooges ? I doubt it. Has there ever been a Man U Champions League game that RTE didn't show live? RTE 2 = MUTV.

Oh, and back to the original topic, the chances of Bohs (or any other Irish club) making the group stages is still very much a pipe dream.

pól-dcfc
22/04/2009, 8:10 PM
the chances of Bohs (or any other Irish club) making the group stages is still very much a pipe dream.

Of course. It won't happen for years yet, if ever.

Guts&Glory
22/04/2009, 8:26 PM
Wasn't The Monk mean't to involved with us as well? When Roddy collins was around?

Ah come on he was only trying to drum up business for his Hummer Limo service..........wasn't he??!!! :)

Derry
22/04/2009, 8:28 PM
Ollie Byrne is deceased, so i think it is disgraceful some of the comments on here.

pól-dcfc
22/04/2009, 8:29 PM
Ollie Byrne is deceased, so i think it is disgraceful some of the comments on here.

Wind your neck in. I don't think anything that is untrue has been said on the thread. Just because the man is dead doesn't make him a saint.

Dyl10
22/04/2009, 9:19 PM

Hitler's dead?
I suppose I better not speak negatively of him either... :rolleyes:

MariborKev
22/04/2009, 9:30 PM
Of course. It won't happen for years yet, if ever.

With the new structure and every increasing qualifying rounds,I fear the ship has sailed.

John83
22/04/2009, 10:04 PM
Hitler's dead?
I suppose I better not speak negatively of him either... :rolleyes:
One was a megalomaniacal dictator who burned millions in the pursuit of an empty dream of running rampant in Europe, the other ruled Nazi Germany...

pól-dcfc
22/04/2009, 10:22 PM
With the new structure and every increasing qualifying rounds,I fear the ship has sailed.

Yeah initially I thought that the new structure would be a boon for small nations, and give us a realistic chance of qualifying. However, it's not gonna help us.

The only way I can see it (well in the next 20 years anyway) is if there is a massive shock in world football. Like clubs going bust left right and centre (highly unlikely), or someone who is very progressive and wants to even out football's inequalities takes over at FIFA and UEFA and changes the rules again (equally unlikely).

Europa League is something we should be pushing towards.