PDA

View Full Version : Sligo Rovers 0 - 0 Bohemians

Bigone57
18/04/2009, 8:54 PM
Sligo Rovers 0 - 0 Bohemians FC

dong
18/04/2009, 10:13 PM
One point. Thanks! We'll take it. Wasn't at the game so can't comment any more than that. Ship seems to have been steadied now.
Good game, crowd etc? Any outstanding performers on the night?

Umberside
18/04/2009, 10:14 PM
One point. Thanks! We'll take it. Wasn't at the game so can't comment any more than that. Ship seems to have been steadied now.

Cretaro was magnificent. Ndo is starting to fade after a bright start this year.

sligofan4ever
18/04/2009, 11:05 PM
Good performance tonight, gotta be happy to grab a point as well as a clean sheet against Bohs. I'd say Gavin Peers was our MOTM, made so many crucial tackles, Raff and Boco were very good too never gave up and tried to create something whenever they got the ball.

Doe's anyone know how bad Conor O' Grady's injury was ?

beepbeep
18/04/2009, 11:15 PM
Cretaro was magnificent. Ndo is starting to fade after a bright start this year.

EH? Ndo was excellent for bohs tonight. As was peers for rovers. Good game for a 0-0.

Umberside
18/04/2009, 11:31 PM
EH? Ndo was excellent for bohs tonight. As was peers for rovers. Good game for a 0-0.

I still think he was better against Dundalk and Shams.

prodsc
19/04/2009, 12:13 AM
Just had a long post lost..so..

Ist half much better team

Conor going off made RR work harder ,Torps worked his ass off but was a bit off pace with timing..

Danny V had a good game but Gavin P was 9.5/

srfc1928
19/04/2009, 9:29 AM
Decent game of football.
Rovers played particulary well in the first half.
Boco had a couple of good chances with headers.
O'Grady went off just before half time and we really struggled after that.
Bohs were much better 2nd half without creating too many clear cut chances.
Peers was excellent. Everyone played well.
Hope O'Grady is ok cause were really struggling for numbers now.

Attendance wise, very good,
new stand was completely full including benches at the back,
A couple of hundred behind each goals and about 200 - 300 in the jinks

Well done to Strand Celtic, they really got behind the team and added to the atmosphere

Only1Rovers
19/04/2009, 11:10 AM
O'Grady came off with what seemed to be a dead leg. Nothing pulled or strained.

It was great to see the team bust a gut. Danny V epitomises this. He made a few mistakes put you couldn't fault him. My only issue is with Morrison's attitude. I'd question how much he wants to be at the club. No tackle in him and is unwilling to challenge for a ball. I'd start Cash before him everytime.

And Gavin Peers is a legend!!!

The Midget Gem
19/04/2009, 11:18 AM
Morrison needs to work harder.
We got overrun in midfield when Torpey came of for OGrady. Looked like we would win it before that.
Good result would have taken it before the match.
Need to beat Drogs now.

Red&White Rover
19/04/2009, 11:36 AM
Without Peersy we'd be so lost. Him and O'Grady really are the heart of the team.

Peersy has to be the most under-rated player in the league.

Good performance, wasn't the greatest match but a good point all the same and definetely a lot more postives than negatives. If we play like that for the rest of the season we'll be flying.

SligoBrewer
19/04/2009, 12:02 PM
He doesn't look to be 100% fit, but he adds so much to the team when hes on. The little through balls to Raf or Boco that we need to score goals are gonna come from him and Doherty/Cash, not from the centre.

We got overrun in midfield when Torpey came of for OGrady. Looked like we would win it before that.

Yeah, but that was due to Torpey's lack of physical presence, not his skill. It'll come to him don't worry.

And another thing, I have criticized Richie Ryan before, but last night he shone when O'Grady went off. The amount of times he cleaned up pressure and relieved us by finding a nice pass for Raff to hold up the ball was unreal.
He just was superb.

dong
19/04/2009, 12:11 PM
Good result would have taken it before the match.
Need to beat Drogs now.
Thanks for that. The one thing I like about Morrison though is that he has that bit of guile we lack. I certainly don't think Cash comes close to him in this regard and his work rate has also been questionable this season. Again, wasn't at the game so don't know how lazy he actually was.
If we can beat Drogs it's a decent first series of games for us. It is a banana skin of a fixture though!!!:eek:

SligoBrewer
19/04/2009, 1:10 PM
Cash comes close to him in this regard and his work rate has also been questionable this season

:eek::eek::eek:

srfc1928
19/04/2009, 1:12 PM
It is a banana skin of a fixture though!!!:eek:
couldnt agree more.
Drogheda arent as bad as the 2 points they have on the board.
They have some really decent players,
and are due a result at some stage or another,
altough hopefully not against us.
playing drogs brings its own pressures,
if we win "sure its only drogheda" if we loose,
well we should have beatin them etc
it'll be a really tough test

showgies
19/04/2009, 1:49 PM
We did more than just compete in the first half, we certainly looked the team most likely to score. Most of the showgrounds thought we had scored with Morrison's free kick, it had Murphy beaten, how did it stay out? The O'Grady injury did affect us and I agree with the comment that it wasn't Torpey's ability that was the difference it was his strength and presence, particularily against Deegan.

Peers was simply immence, he cut out danger so many times.

You could tell that their back line were worried about Raf and Boco. I have never seen so many clearances being put out for a throw, playing it safe. However, we didn't really look like penetrating the back four in the second half.

A real confidence boosting performance.

sligoman
19/04/2009, 2:22 PM
A draw was a fair result. We were better in the first half but Bohs were in the 2nd half.

I'm beginning to lose patience with Doherty, he can't beat a man & never tackles. So frustrating to watch him. Apart from that, it was a decent performance. The defence, while still dodgy, seems to be improving. I was told Mauro's out for another 8 weeks so we'll be stuck with this defence for a while yet.

Red&White Rover
19/04/2009, 2:23 PM
Also have to say I thought Bohs tactics were awful.

Mainly the hacking by their players. They put in a few woeful woeful challenges.

Rovers1
19/04/2009, 2:34 PM
Very happy with that result last night. Everyone played well, bar Doherty who just doesnt seem to have the hunger the rest do. McGuiness and Oman did'nt know what to do with Raf and Rommy, Ventre was very solid, Peers was my MOTM though, saved us on more 3 or 4 occasions. No reason why we cant beat Drogs and Shamrock. Thought Torpey did well when he came on too.

Red Star
19/04/2009, 3:00 PM
Also have to say I thought Bohs tactics were awful.

Mainly the hacking by their players. They put in a few woeful woeful challenges.

What was the story with Bohs team taking ages to come out of the tunnel at the start of the game? Was it mind games they were playing?

Only1Rovers
19/04/2009, 4:00 PM
we should beat Drogs, they're missing 6 or 7 players including Joxer Kelly at the moment, don't know when he's back.

Morrison wasn't even jumping when challenging for balls in the air last night.

Rovers fan
19/04/2009, 4:22 PM
Many have already said but Peers was class. He never seems to get the plaudits,yet he is the one who holds us together at the back imo. Made one absolutely crucial tackle in the second half that would probably have led to a goal and made a number of other important interventions. He won a lot of headers too and Crowe and Byrne did very little in general. The back 4 withstood the second half pressure well, and bohs didn't really create much.

Obviously O'Grady going off was the turning point. For the first 30/35 minutes we were making bits of them and could have gone on and won it if O'Grady didn't get injured. Murphy made one of the best saves I've seen in the LOI from Boco's header. I was certain it was in but what a reflex save.

Morrison doesn't work the hardest but he can still turn a game,and has something that cash and doherty lack. I dunno why Cook always takes him off(like he did with Anto Murphy last season).

All in all, a good crowd and a good point. Hopefully we can get a win against drogs but it won't be easy.

Rovers Maniac
19/04/2009, 4:48 PM
Decent game of football for 0-0, played all the ball in the first half abd should have been a goal up by the half. Say what you like about him O'Grady but when it went off it was a totally different game. Thought Peers was superb and great to see a decent crowd.

SligoBrewer
19/04/2009, 4:53 PM
I'm beginning to lose patience with Doherty, he can't beat a man & never tackles.

He put in two inch perfect crosses for Rommy in the first half, and looked lively imo. If Rommy had put in one of those (which he was very unlucky not to), we'd all be singing Doherty's praises.

srfc1928
19/04/2009, 10:02 PM
I was told Mauro's out for another 8 weeks so we'll be stuck with this defence for a while yet.
Was told pretty much the same (6 weeks) massive blow.
The thing about Mauro is apart from his defensive ability hes so effective at the other end for set pieces.
Most of our corners at the moment have to be taken short and work on an angle to get the ball in because we have no aerial threat.
How many goals did he get last season btw ?

sligoman
19/04/2009, 10:17 PM
How many goals did he get last season btw ?Five afaik.

dublinred
20/04/2009, 8:19 AM
What was the story with Bohs team taking ages to come out of the tunnel at the start of the game? Was it mind games they were playing?

They were nervous , there not used to playing in front of so many people.

Mayo Red
20/04/2009, 9:42 AM
Good result, would have taken the point beforehand but thought we could even have nicked the win. Everyone gave their all in fairness. Bohs came into it more without really threatening a great deal when O'Grady had to go off, cos Torpey wasn't physically big enough to mix it in the centre of the park but he gave it everything aswell and has good touches. Thought Morrison was decent too, don't necessarily think he's lazy either, he might not make the crunching tackles but that's not what he's there for, he has great feet and has the guile and ability to beat an opponent and play in the final ball, good freekicks too. Bohemians were very poor overall I thought, big physical team, didn't play great football and seemed more interested in kicking lumps out of our lads! As everyone else has said, nice to see a big crowd out and such a good atmosphere!

Redie
20/04/2009, 10:10 AM
In many ways it was an even better performance than the Derry game. Our back five looked very composed and confident and totally in control, probably for the first time this season. That is three consecutive very positive performances; all we need to work on now is finding the back of the net.

O'Grady was having his best game of the season and as everyone has already said Peers was once again awesome. He seems to be getting a bit of recognition at last as well as The Sun gave him man of the match and put him in their 'Team of the Week'.

By the way is it just me or does Peers and Carlos Tevez look very much alike?

Mayo Red
20/04/2009, 11:07 AM
According to The Star the attendance was 1500, don't know where they got their information from but definately wide of the mark.:confused: Just an estimate but I'd put it at around 2200 or so myself!

Sligobabe87
20/04/2009, 11:33 AM
Hey people.. Im new to this page but still a fan of football, even though Im a girl! HAHA
I havent watched the match on Saturday... unfortunately but I will the next time when its a home game! :)

avvenalaf
20/04/2009, 12:43 PM
According to The Star the attendance was 1500, don't know where they got their information from but definately wide of the mark.:confused: Just an estimate but I'd put it at around 2200 or so myself!

The 1500 excludes season ticket holders.

Rovers Maniac
20/04/2009, 12:47 PM
I would not pass much heed to the Star's crowds. Was in Richmond Park a few years ago Star announced a crowd of 2,000 Pats released their figures only 900 at the game.

O'Grady was a major loss soley for his presence in the middle of midfield.

redobit
20/04/2009, 1:31 PM
Can anybody that was in the Jinks Avenue stand tell us more why their scumbags lost it

Sean South
20/04/2009, 2:42 PM
Can anybody that was in the Jinks Avenue stand tell us more why their scumbags lost it

Their toys fell out of their pram

Mayo Red
20/04/2009, 3:21 PM
The 1500 excludes season ticket holders.

Bit of a daft way of measuring the attendance though!

sligoman
20/04/2009, 7:25 PM
Couple of Bohs fans on their forum mention that we, and some of our players, celebrated like we had just won the Champions League. I didn't notice that:confused:. They must not be used to cheering their team.

Rovers Maniac
20/04/2009, 7:28 PM
Ah sure what if they did, did not show there anyway, sure are they not the 'big club' :D

dong
20/04/2009, 8:27 PM
I read on it as well that their bus was stoned leaving the town.

Red Star
20/04/2009, 9:19 PM
Didn't hear but two Bohs fans got arrested for been D&D on the train to Sligo

avvenalaf
21/04/2009, 12:13 AM

Yeah, well they wouldn't be used to quality spiff.

Bigone57
21/04/2009, 12:52 AM
Hey people.. Im new to this page but still a fan of football, even though Im a girl! HAHA
I havent watched the match on Saturday... unfortunately but I will the next time when its a home game! :)

Wellcome nice to see a new face even if you are a girl LOL ;)

Mayo Red
21/04/2009, 8:35 AM
Wellcome nice to see a new face even if you are a girl LOL ;)

Shameless flirt!!:D

Bigone57
22/04/2009, 1:32 AM
Shameless flirt!!:D

Cant blame me for trying it gets very lonely on the terraces some times.LOL:D

Rovers1
22/04/2009, 9:31 AM

Those 9 year olds with scarves from the town are dangerous alright:rolleyes:

Rovers1
23/04/2009, 8:33 PM
Anyone read the Mail today? Rommy was supposed to have racial abuse aimed at him last Saturday night. Did'nt read the piece myself, a friend told me about it.

srfc1928
24/04/2009, 11:34 AM
The Showgrounds pitch has improved immensely since the start of the season, much like the team, and it was refreshing that
for once Pat fenlon did'nt focus his negativity on our 'Farmers Field' in his post match coments.

I came across this piece in the Sligo Champion a couple of weeks ago,
maybe they might have a few cuttings left over and bring them back home to the Showgrounds !

A Sligoman's sports construction company has landed a multi-million dollar contract to design and install soccer pitches for the 2010 African Championships (COCAN)
SIS (Irl) Ltd, whose Chief Executive Officer is Sligo native, George Mullan, will install a total of fifteen natural grass pitches for the tournament which will be held in Angola in two years time.
Mr. Mullan signed the contract for the deal with the Angolian Ministry of Public Construction in Luanda last week.
The project will begin in May with all pitches completed by the end of July. SIS will take twentytwo employees, split into three teams to Angola to carry out work on the projects. All of the stadium venues in Luanda, Bengula, Lubango and Cabinda will have SIS pitches, as will the training centres and nursery pitches.
Mr. Mullan spent three weeks visiting the venues and reviewing the plans with Daniel Ribeiro of GeoDesenho, a Portuguese company.
SIS presented an unique proposal for the championships, not only to design and build but also to maintain the pitches through the growing period and to the end of the tournament.
"Rather than just building the pitches, we wanted to take ownership of the pitches through to the end of the tournament," explained Mr. Mullan. "This allows COCAN to focus on the tournament without concerns over the pitches"
He said the project opened up a new market for SIS in Africa and Angola in particular.
SIS has designated and constructed sports surfaces throughout Europe and for some of Europe's leading clubs, including Manchester United, Real Madrid, Glasgow Celtic, Rangers, Ajax and Benfica.
They also carried out the pitch installation in Moscow for the UEFA Champions League Cup final, the fourth time they installed a pitch for the final.
Natural turf is grown by SIS specifically to order for individual pitches and sports stadiums on farms in the UK, Portugal and Germany.
- LEO GRAY

http://www.sligochampion.ie/news/sligo-company-wins-contract-to-install-grass-pitches-for-african-finals-1711255.html

red bellied
24/04/2009, 11:42 AM
Dont know if this through or not but Mullen is supposed to have approached Rovers before offering to re-lay the pitch for cost price but they turned him down.

forza rovers
24/04/2009, 2:19 PM
Dont know if this through or not but Mullen is supposed to have approached Rovers before offering to re-lay the pitch for cost price but they turned him down.200k for it to be done