PDA

View Full Version : depressing

irishultra
18/04/2009, 3:39 AM
was just looking up the guy itandje and that incident whenever it was and stumbled across this quote on this irish based website

I
enjoyed the last match v Italy, but have to say club(Liverpool) for me. I think its mainly fans from the league of Ireland who follow(Ireland) them these days an hve not heard about the Prem yet. Ones who are scared of noise and colour.

sorry but im a bit drunk but wtf!!!!!!! i'd say it was trolling if it wasn't a website for barstoolers.

joema
18/04/2009, 3:53 AM
Sorry, what was that?

Take it easy on the beer there lad!:D:p

brianw82
18/04/2009, 4:12 AM
Wooden ladders.

MickNolan
18/04/2009, 12:20 PM
was just looking up the guy itandje and that incident whenever it was and stumbled across this quote on this irish based website

I

sorry but im a bit drunk but wtf!!!!!!! i'd say it was trolling if it wasn't a website for barstoolers.

Could you tell us where you found this... When your sober...

thischarmingman
18/04/2009, 12:21 PM

I

Drunken indignation, the best kind. :)

Hairy Bowsie
18/04/2009, 12:42 PM
I'd say it's from Boards.ie. In a "Club versus Country" thread.

back of the net
18/04/2009, 12:50 PM

I

And hows the head this morning??? A bit sore i would imagine?

Was it the spirits or the shots that made you so depressed??? :D

superfrank
18/04/2009, 2:20 PM
How is it depressing?

It shows they are all gloryhunters, hence the "these days" remark. Do you really care what those tards think?

Torn-Ado
18/04/2009, 2:25 PM
Its trendy to say that you're uninterested in international football these days. It kind of makes people think that they are some sort of super supporter. That guy is obviously clueless.

Rovers1
18/04/2009, 2:33 PM
Its trendy to say that you're uninterested in international football these days. It kind of makes people think that they are some sort of super supporter. That guy is obviously clueless.

Wouldnt say its 'cool'. I have no interest in international football because i sipmly dont give two fcuks.

sligoman
18/04/2009, 2:36 PM
Wouldnt say its 'cool'.Neither did he:confused::p

Torn-Ado
18/04/2009, 2:37 PM
Wouldnt say its 'cool'. I have no interest in international football because i sipmly dont give two fcuks.

Maybe not you but these Liverpool and Man Yoo supporters over here such as that dude probably think its cool.

Rovers1
18/04/2009, 2:37 PM
Neither did he:confused::p

exactly... he did'nt and i wouldnt either ;)

SkStu
18/04/2009, 3:30 PM
Was it the spirits or the shots that made you so depressed??? :D

obviously gin and tonics :( judging by the thread title... ;)

irishultra
18/04/2009, 6:35 PM
eh what the hell? i wasn't that drunk:p

anyway remember lads real football for real fans.:)

the-blue-harp
18/04/2009, 8:02 PM
Maybe a fair share of football fans feel disenfranchised by international football especially in country's like England and Ireland because the players who represent their country's are primma donna's

i would say that there is more prima donnas in the man utd team than the ireland squad!

RoversHead
18/04/2009, 9:22 PM
"Scared of the noise and colour"The last thing Id think of if you asked me about English football is colour. Danny "Dire" wannabe`s maybe.

irishultra
18/04/2009, 11:12 PM
The website is IrishKop, some good threads of a laugh alright. Full of 'us' wes' 'manc scum' 'barcodes'. One thread even makes fun of Manchester Uniteds London fanbase :D Comical stuff.

They seem to hold a certain 'mypost' in high regard, is that the same mypost from here?:p

Sure I was reading on Boards.ie, some lad wrote that Murdoch has ruined football HERE. This is what we're dealing with, I don't know, I think some of our compatriots are away with the birds. Don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Magicme
19/04/2009, 1:30 AM
I hoped this was a thread where I could tell you about real things that make me sad and depressed right now but it turned out to be bout some people not caring bout the league. Poor us.

sullanefc
19/04/2009, 10:14 AM
After reading this thread I had a look at the thread on that site and came across this beauty of a post:

I'm not bothered bout national side either way, never have supported them passionately never will. I will admit however if we qualify for major tournaments i do jump on the bandwagon, however when we get knocked out it doesn't bother me as much as a league defeat. I despise the FAI and all they stand for and cannot commit to giving them money, although I do this anyway know as they took over the eircom league 2 years ago.

If you pose the question of Ireland winning World Cup or Reds winning the League. The answer is simple. Come on Reds!

I know I am fickle jumping on the bandwagon but I'm the same when it comes to Rugby. I don't watch Magners League but I will support Munster in Heineken Cup and Ireland In World Cup's & Six Nations etc.

All of us show fickelness in sport, just look at our Olympians, who gives a fcuk about them from one Olympics to anpther. Not Me.

Carra is the same when it comes to England side, those who've read his book would be familiar with the fcuk it it's only England text he got from the King Kenny.

Represents all that is wrong with Irish sport fans. Muppet.

pól-dcfc
19/04/2009, 10:58 AM
Represents all that is wrong with Irish sport fans. Muppet.

Indeed. A lack of any degree of formal education by the looks of things. That post is sickening.

bennocelt
19/04/2009, 12:27 PM

likewise, lost interest with all the rubbish from the FAI, but now follow the LOI with a passion so it aint all bad:)
and will be lookin forward to Sligos euro away days in europe!

MickeyEvans
19/04/2009, 12:56 PM
Lads,

the title of this thread is "depressing" but surely it's just as depressing that a certain proportion of LOI fans absolutely obsess about who other Irish people support. They're entitled to follow who they like. That Uruguayan football writer/philosopher Eduardo Galeano wrote "I will watch good football any where I can find it"

The English league holds a natural sway over many people. We're not the only country it happens but it's obviously going to be the most pronounced here because we're such close neighbours, we used to be ruled by them and - being honest - the English league is the centre of gravity of Irish football when it comes to the top level. Not the core and grassroots admittedly.

If we were to take such an insular approach to all our other cultural pursuits, then we'd only listen to Irish music and only watch Irish films. How ludicrous would that be.

I support Rovers but the way some fellow fans are always looking over people's shoulders at what other people are doing is disheartening. I also like Manchester United because, culturally, they've always been there and, let's be honest, when you're five to 11, it's hard not to be seduced by that sort of glamour. The English league also happens to have most of the best players in the world at the minute - whether you like it or not. To not watch that I think would reveal you less of a football man. Because it would reveal you as a partisan instead of a purist.

It's said the mark of genius is to hold two thoughts in your head at the one time. When it comes to just following football in general, I think it's something a certain proportion of LOI fans should keep in mind.

gspain
19/04/2009, 12:57 PM
Is anybody surprised?

MickeyEvans
19/04/2009, 1:02 PM
To be fair...

I must add a caveat to that very last sentence. Many Irish fans who follow English clubs should also do the same and trot on down to their local ground AS WELL as watching their English ball on Saturday and Sunday afternoons.

Although, to be fair, I know a lot of people that follow/play for their local LSL/AUL club every bit as passionately as their English club. That's just as valid as the LOI and I think a reason for the LOI's lack of sway is partly attributable to the strength of the truly amateur game here.

MickeyEvans
19/04/2009, 1:09 PM
No. You miss the point.

Not support. But at least not completely - and bitterly - ignore. And not berate people for doing so.

Certainly I think if you ONLY watch irish football and can't even muster interest in at least World Cups or the Champions League then you're projecting issues you have over patriotism/Irish nationalism onto football support.

sullanefc
19/04/2009, 1:11 PM
Lads,
It's said the mark of genius is to hold two thoughts in your head at the one time.....

Yeah but the guy in the post above doesn't hold any thought in his head.

Most people here watch english football as well as follow LOI. So to call people on here insular is wrong.

The problem is people who follow english football teams ONLY and are dismissive of LOI and the Irish national team. These people choose to follow an english club over their country, yet if we qualify for a world cup, they will be first on the bandwagon.

MickeyEvans
19/04/2009, 1:16 PM
Sullane...

Read my post again. I didn't refer to those that watch both English football and Irish football... I referred to "a proportion" who ONLY watch Irish football. And then in a post a few moments later to those who ONLY watch English football.

It is the constant carping I find depressing though. As if people think they're morally superior because they only watch football inside Ireland.

irishultra
19/04/2009, 1:20 PM
Its not about an 'insual approach' at all. That site in particular is deluded, as they don't just think they are fans of a club but hardcore fans. They are completely ignorant for example making fun of 'the mancs london support' which is irony at its fullest.

I'm a globalist FFS, but I know what football was built on. Being a football supporter isn't about what the best quality is, if it was then we would have one european league with no national leagues. I use Setanta and Sky Sports when I want to watch the big European leagues, Bundesliga, Premier League or La Liga, but in order to live football you support your local team with fellow local people be they be black white green or yellow.

Being a football fan IS NOT about going to see 'the pool' vs 'chelksi' in mcneills with the rest of north kerry's liverpool supporters club.

These are the sort of people who believe everything that Sky Sports tells them, for example check up the best derby in the world thread.

http://www.irishkop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7289

On their Club vs Country thread I said you lot are deluded if you think that supporting Liverpool over England is akin to supporting Liverpool over Ireland, needless to say post was deleted.

They live in a bubble. I'd bet that 90% of them completely ignore their own league.

MickeyEvans
19/04/2009, 1:21 PM
Like, there's one guy who comes on here... he has "Bohs" in his name in some capacity which probably explains a lot (that's a joke)... and EVERYTHING negative to do with Irish football he seems to relate back to "those *******s who follow English clubs". That sort of thing just makes me shake my head and also isn't helpful to improving Irish football.

MickeyEvans
19/04/2009, 1:24 PM
IrishUltra,

I think, fundamentally, we're in agreement. And yes, people who talk like that are ****s and that's a certain strand of English-club-supporting fans here. But they're no better or worse than a certain strand of LOI fans who constantly carp about everyone else. That's the insularity I dislike.

I must clarify, I didn't mean people on foot.ie in general and I didn't want it to come across like that. I'm one of them FFS!!

MickeyEvans
19/04/2009, 1:26 PM
**** me though..

I did just read through that IrishKop forum and these people are troubled.

Ah one thing you have to remember though... they're all Toxteth and Bootle born-and-bred!!

sullanefc
19/04/2009, 1:34 PM
Like, there's one guy who comes on here... he has "Bohs" in his name in some capacity which probably explains a lot (that's a joke)... and EVERYTHING negative to do with Irish football he seems to relate back to "those *******s who follow English clubs". That sort of thing just makes me shake my head and also isn't helpful to improving Irish football.

You're probably referring to Boh_so_good and the "Identity Crisis FC" thread. Yes it was over the top and it was a jibe at premiership fans, but I think it was more in reaction to everyone in Ireland declaring their undying love for sunderland just because keano was manager. Where are they now eh?

Look it, I think we are on the same lines anyway. I'm watching Spurs V Newcastle at the moment and its a good game. I'm also a spurs fan for my troubles. But I'd much prefer City or Ireland to win a game before a club in london.

But you are right, there are people who take the anti-prem thing too far, but I think most of it is directed at people like those on IrishKop.com and whatever the man u version is.

irishultra
19/04/2009, 1:35 PM
IrishUltra,

I think, fundamentally, we're in agreement. And yes, people who talk like that are ****s and that's a certain strand of English-club-supporting fans here. But they're no better or worse than a certain strand of LOI fans who constantly carp about everyone else. That's the insularity I dislike.

I must clarify, I didn't mean people on foot.ie in general and I didn't want it to come across like that. I'm one of them FFS!!

In fairness, how many people have even commented on this thread? The first few posts were just commenting on my drunkard state.:D

I think some of this animosity from some LOI supporters is born from the fact that we're portrayed by our mainstream media as 'a great sporting nation' 'huge soccer fans' etc. etc., when in reality most are just sheep attracted to the bright lights and glitz across the water.

I for one love English football as a spectacle, but i have no alleigence to it no more than I do for the Bolivian Premier League.

sullanefc
19/04/2009, 1:37 PM
we're portrayed by our mainstream media as 'a great sporting nation' 'huge soccer fans' etc. etc., when in reality most are just sheep attracted to the bright lights and glitz across the water.

Nail on the head. Its not just soccer. Look for munster rugby attendances pre 1995 for more evidence.

MickeyEvans
19/04/2009, 1:39 PM
True...

having actually looked through that irishKop thread I take it all back though!!

That was awful.

Anyway, I'm off to enjoy some sun and perhaps kick a ball myself.

Good luck

Boh_So_Good
19/04/2009, 2:53 PM

There is a bloke who comes on here. His name sounds like a Welsh penis.

That's it really.

Boh_So_Good
19/04/2009, 2:55 PM
You're probably referring to Boh_so_good and the "Identity Crisis FC" thread. Yes it was over the top and it was a jibe at premiership fans, but I think it was more in reaction to everyone in Ireland declaring their undying love for sunderland just because keano was manager. Where are they now eh?

Yes that's all I was saying and I said it brilliantly. It is a shame you had to explain the irony to HarlechVagina but thanks anyways.

thischarmingman
19/04/2009, 6:36 PM
Lads,

the title of this thread is "depressing" but surely it's just as depressing that a certain proportion of LOI fans absolutely obsess about who other Irish people support. They're entitled to follow who they like.

It's hardly an obsession. Most people on this forum care about their clubs, and by extension, the league. And one of the most pressing issues the league faces is the lack of support of their own country's teams by thousands of so-called football fans in this country. They're absolutely entitled to follow who they like, but I'm also entitled to regard them as easily-led, lazy, glory-hunting, hypocritical barstoolers. Which I do. :)

If we were to take such an insular approach to all our other cultural pursuits, then we'd only listen to Irish music and only watch Irish films. How ludicrous would that be.
Music and films aren't tribal though are they? They don't exactly have supporters. They have fans.

To not watch that I think would reveal you less of a football man. Because it would reveal you as a partisan instead of a purist.

It's said the mark of genius is to hold two thoughts in your head at the one time. When it comes to just following football in general, I think it's something a certain proportion of LOI fans should keep in mind.

A partisan instead of a purist? Since when have football fans been purists? Surely football is about the passion, the support and the pursuit of victory? Otherwise why not just cut the Premiership down to 8 clubs and do away with every other club in England and Ireland, sure all us football fans care about is a team that plays 'good' football. :rolleyes: And why should we have 'two thoughts in our head?' By all means admire Arsenal's passing, Manchester United's dominance or Chelsea's resiliance, but why do you have to ''support'' them as well as your local team? Surely the feeling you get when your local team does well trumps these anyway?

I'm honestly not trying to have a go, but how can any football fan say something like, "it would reveal you as a partisan instead of a purist?" It just so completely misses the point of being a football fan.

It is the constant carping I find depressing though. As if people think they're morally superior because they only watch football inside Ireland.

Spot on. We are. You (not you personally btw) can travel twice a year to see Celtic play, you can watch every United game in the pub or you can buy all the Liverpool merchandise you can afford, but you are less a football supporter than those of us who make the journey to see our local sides play week in and week out either instead of or as well as watching the Premiership. It's as simple as that. Call it arrogance, call it insularity, or call it moral superiority if you want but it's the truth.

irishultra
19/04/2009, 7:17 PM
any chance of a barstool thread sticky to report if you witnessed or heard any benal barstool sayings. :D I could basically link to the whole of Irishkop as a starter.

just to say, the thing i hate is people dismissing and ignoring the league, ok so you realise you don't have the personality to sing for an entire game or stand up for one but for feck sake would ya ever just show some interest and stop being so pathetic with this plastic devotion for non-irish(more often than not english) clubs.

on irishkop one thread talks about ath.madrid fans, and some plastic talks about how he exchanged merchandise with an athletico fan, i asked would the Ath. Madrid fan not find it slightly odd that he was swapping shirts with a person not from liverpool whether they be from Oslo, Kerry or Beijing? got no straight reply to that one.

imagine bohs or something met liverpool in the champions league next season and you were outside a pub in dublin city and some guy from cork or dublin comes up to you asking to swap your jersey for his liverpool one. you'd be fairly confused right? i know i would

MickeyEvans
20/04/2009, 12:09 AM
Ah, I was desperately hungover/still drunk when I wrote that diatribe earlier and evidently in some sort of heal-the-world mood.

I stand by some points, not all.

And I've now actually looked through that IrishKop thing... those people are indeed jokes.

For the record though, I am probably different to most football fans here in that I do consider myself a 'football fan' first and am not all too partisan. I realise too many of you I am as such a lily-livered freak too weak to commit the proper range of emotions that go with truly partisan support. You're probably right.

stamullendrog
20/04/2009, 12:03 PM
im a member of irishkop and theres a good % of league of ireland fans on it.i dont see a problem with people investing there time in an english team when they go to their local LOI team too.and i wouldnt mind the devotion to mypost on there hes lmore clubs than tiger woods!!

Boh_So_Good
20/04/2009, 12:31 PM
Ah, I was desperately hungover/still drunk when I wrote that diatribe earlier and evidently in some sort of heal-the-world mood.

You are still a Welsh Penis though.

Ceirtlis
20/04/2009, 12:36 PM
enjoyed the last match v Italy, but have to say club(Liverpool) for me. I think its mainly fans from the league of Ireland who follow(Ireland) them these days an hve not heard about the Prem yet. Ones who are scared of noise and colour.

This is just a rehash of something he heard over in England i would say just substitute League of Ireland for lower league clubs and Ireland for England. It is well known that the Liverpool fans dont really follow their national team.

JackeenRebel
20/04/2009, 1:08 PM
This is just a rehash of something he heard over in England i would say just substitute League of Ireland for lower league clubs and Ireland for England. It is well known that the Liverpool fans dont really follow their national team.

I disagree; Im a Liverpool fan and Ive only missed approx 5 Ireland home games since 93

corkharps
20/04/2009, 1:25 PM
Almost 3 full pages of rubbish and no sign of DCFC Steve???????:eek:

stamullendrog
20/04/2009, 1:31 PM
I disagree; Im a Liverpool fan and Ive only missed approx 5 Ireland home games since 93

its very common among the local support hence the chant were not english we are scouse

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-r_i1_kAyVQ

irishultra
20/04/2009, 2:26 PM
hahah nice chant, have to say i like liverpool people, never found them anything like any irish people i knew though.

love this quote :

Watching football in HD>>>>>>>>>>Watching pixelated junk that passes for 'digital' quality.