PDA

View Full Version : Geoghegan, Baker listed among PFAI free agents

A face
20/12/2003, 8:41 PM
Geoghegan, Baker listed among PFAI free agents

Shelbourne strikers Stephen Geoghegan and Dessie Baker have been included on a 22-strong list of free agents announced by the Professional Footballers Association of Ireland (PFAI).

Legendary front man Geoghegan, who will turn 34 next summer, was the top scorer in the Premier Division on four occasions in the 1990s, but he looks set to be on his way out of the club; he and former Manchester United trainee Baker both reached their end of their contracts with Shels when the league season finished at the end of November.

Read more at www.eleven-a-side.com (http://www.eleven-a-side.com/premier/story.asp?newsid=9072)

Shelsman
22/12/2003, 1:47 PM
My guess is that Geoghegan will sign for Longford.

A face
22/12/2003, 2:19 PM
Originally posted by Shelsman
My guess is that Geoghegan will sign for Longford.

Will this be his first time play in a club outside Dublin ??

Dodge
22/12/2003, 2:29 PM
Does Drogheda count?

A face
22/12/2003, 2:34 PM
Originally posted by Dodge
Does Drogheda count?

I suppose it does !! :)

RockofGibraltar
27/12/2003, 3:50 PM
i doubt we wud be after geoghegan as he is 34..we only have 3 decent strikers an 2 of them are old..lavine(33) and francis(31)..so i'd say the manager wil be on the look out for a young striker.. wouldnt mind signing baker..but whats up wit him these days?he used to be deadly

pineapple stu
27/12/2003, 7:20 PM
Baker (Dessie that is) has had a series of knee injuries in recent seasons, though he seems to be pretty much back now. Had a loan spell with us (one game to be exact), and was in and around the Shels team towards the end of the season, but I suppose the team just moved on since then.

Slash/ED
27/12/2003, 8:43 PM
I wish Geogho the best wherever he goes, a true legend, he also made the Ireland squad not so long ago. My guess would be him signing for Dublin City.

As for Dessie, he just wasn't in the plans of the manager and with his brother gone this was on the cards, I haven't a clue where he'll end up.

RockofGibraltar
28/12/2003, 2:40 PM
wudnt mind signin dessie and stickin him up front with shane barrett..with 1 or 2 more top signings i reckon Longford could be in wit a shout for the Championship next season...what ye lads think?

Breifne
02/01/2004, 2:29 PM
Stephen, has been a legend for the last fifteen years in the league, but Dublin City aren't in the business of picking up wandering stars.

City actually mean business, and i think the club feel that signing Stephen would send out the wrong signals. The club don't want any journey men. We tried that with Tony Sheridan, it didn't really work. We have a young squad, buffered with a couple of golden oldies.

We are looking at building a club for the future, not just to survive one year.

pineapple stu
02/01/2004, 4:13 PM
Originally posted by Breifne
Dublin City aren't in the business of picking up wandering stars.

:confused: :confused:

Tony O'Connor?
Robbie Horgan?
Mick O'Byrne?

Maybe more waddling stars rather than wandering stars?!

Breifne
02/01/2004, 4:25 PM
Originally posted by pineapple stu
:confused: :confused:

Tony O'Connor?
Robbie Horgan?
Mick O'Byrne?

Maybe more waddling stars rather than wandering stars?!

What i meant by that was, that the Vikings aren't going to just recruit every big name that pops up in the tabloids. Tony and Robbie were two of the biggest cogs in the Vikings wheel this season, and Mick O'Byrne while not featuring in many games, did prove to be the catalyst for our final championship surge. Those three you mentioned proved their worth, I don't think City would be looking forward to Premier Division football without each of the three individuals contributions this season.

We have just signed two good young strikers in Philip Hughes and Gary O'Neil, put along with Robbie Farrell, Keith Maher & Robbie Collins we don't need another striker for next season, although Glen, Jason or John if your round we will talk to you.