PDA

View Full Version : Northern Ireland

Pages : [1] 2 3

SkStu
16/04/2009, 5:04 PM
(mods, maybe this can be made a poll?)

I remember watching the 86 World Cup in Mexico - its one of my earliest soccer memories - and I was cheering for Northern Ireland. I really wanted them to do well.

In the event that the North qualified for SA10 and we didnt would the posters here adopt them as their team to cheer on for the tournament? I know there are a few run ins with the nordie foot.ie posters here and i dont agree with a lot of their opinions but i for one would love to see them do well.

Who else here would cheer for them or who would like to see them get thrashed?

NeilMcD
16/04/2009, 5:16 PM
I would not like them do to well purely cause I would be a neutral and I do not think they play attractive football. I would not support us either if I was a neutral as we play dire football to watch. When I am a neutral, entertainment is the only way to go hence why I have supported Spain and Argentina recently

reder
17/04/2009, 8:30 AM
It depends on who they were playing. As a matter of interest, do they ever want us to do well? I always got the impression that we would be the last team they would support.

Norm
17/04/2009, 9:24 AM
I have generally supported England in all tournaments that Ireland have failed to reach, not sure why, just like to see them do well.

Should Northern Ireland qualify and Republic fail, I will definately be following them & England.

Gather round
17/04/2009, 9:35 AM
It depends on who they were playing. As a matter of interest, do they ever want us to do well? I always got the impression that we would be the last team they would support

Can only speak for myself, but at the moment I'd probably support you in any game where you were clearly underdog (say against Argentina, Spain or Brazil).

Leaving aside party politics and rows such Darren Gibson etc., there's a natural, ongoing bigger-smaller brother rivalry. You could equally ask how many RoI fans would support England if you don't make it this time.

osarusan
17/04/2009, 11:57 AM
I'd support them in a lazy way. I'd hope they won, but wouldn't be bothered too much if they lost.

ifk101
17/04/2009, 12:33 PM
As they are technically our C team, I'd wish them well. I don't think they'll qualify but if they do, you'd have to give them a lot of credit.

Lionel Ritchie
17/04/2009, 12:37 PM
I'd support them and always have done. It's a team of Irish lads too after all. Couldn't give a tuppeny feck if some -even many of their support don't reciprocate the goodwill. That's their business and their choice.

If I can get past or avoid the bull-**** that goes with them I try and keep an eye out for England as well and would most certainly support Wales or Scotland in any game.

Standard of football being played is not important to me. I'll root for a kick'n'rush underdog playing a silken skilled "big" team every time.

Predator
17/04/2009, 12:55 PM
I'd watch them play if it was on and I was in the house, but I wouldn't go out of my way to watch. I have never supported them. The Republic has always been my team. In the event that Ireland don't qualify, I usually follow Germany.

osarusan
17/04/2009, 12:59 PM
I'll root for a kick'n'rush underdog playing a silken skilled "big" team every time.
:eek:You'll be supporting Kildare tonight?:eek:

bennocelt
17/04/2009, 1:46 PM
i support any team who plays football in the spirit of the game, no cheating or diving and try its best to win - so i could support england and nor iron!:)

shakermaker1982
17/04/2009, 2:10 PM
I'd support em. Missus is from Tyrone so might not have much of a say in the matter :)

Good luck to them. I hope both nations qualify and we draw them in the group stages!

Shilts
17/04/2009, 2:27 PM
I supported them in the 82 and 86 campaigns. However, after Windsor Park 93 I now support anybody but them. I cheer for everybody against them, Moldova, Slovenia... even England.

I think that they'd be a great draw for us in the playoffs tho' - After the rubby All-Ireland at Croker (Munster v Leinster) we could have a soccer All-Ireland there. :D

Gather round
17/04/2009, 9:31 PM
As they are technically our C team, I'd wish them well. I don't think they'll qualify but if they do, you'd have to give them a lot of credit

Thanks for the good wishes, but I think we'll pass on the kind offer. I'd concentrate on qualifying a bit more often before you invest in a C team.

I'd support them and always have done. It's a team of Irish lads too after all. Couldn't give a tuppeny feck if some -even many of their support don't reciprocate the goodwill

I'm glad to reciprocate it, but to honest I'd prefer other fans supported us as underdogs, or for flowing sexy football, or some other reason not based on us being next door. I hardly ever support England, and generally wouldn't back Scotland or Wales against a weaker country.

I supported them in the 82 and 86 campaigns. However, after Windsor Park 93 I now support anybody but them. I cheer for everybody against them, Moldova, Slovenia... even England

Come on, it was 16 years ago, time to move on. But if not, have you forgotten that your new buddy England's fans smashed up your stadium a couple of years later?

I think that they'd be a great draw for us in the playoffs tho' - After the rubby All-Ireland at Croker (Munster v Leinster) we could have a soccer All-Ireland there. :D

Sorry to disappoint, but even if we manage second (which would almost certaionly involve winning our first away game against a top-two seeded country since WC 1986), the consensus on the relevant thread here seems to be that FIFA and UEFA will rig the draw to keep France, Germany or any other big boys slumming it, apart from each other.

EalingGreen
17/04/2009, 9:59 PM
As they are technically our C team, I'd wish them well.
After years of your being England's C team, I wouldn't get too sniffy if I were you...:rolleyes:

Sunny Jim
18/04/2009, 9:25 AM
I always wished NI well and would have supported them whoever they were playing (except us, obviously).

However the Neil Lennon saga turned me off them. I personally have no time for Lennon but the way he was treated was disgusting. I couldn't give a toss about them now tbh.

reder
18/04/2009, 1:35 PM
the consensus on the relevant thread here seems to be that FIFA and UEFA will rig the draw to keep France, Germany or any other big boys slumming it, apart from each other.

Id say that there will be warm balls in that pot alright. Probably best if we didnt meet to be honest because all that nonsense about GSTQ in Croke Park would come back and it would probably be 20 times worse given that it is football. It wouldnt probably overshadow the game itself.

I personally, would love to go up to Windsor for an away though. Would love to sample the atmosphere there. Seems top notch for the numbers. Fair play to you for that.

Torn-Ado
18/04/2009, 2:40 PM

I remember watching the 86 World Cup in Mexico - its one of my earliest soccer memories - and I was cheering for Northern Ireland. I really wanted them to do well.

In the event that the North qualified for SA10 and we didnt would the posters here adopt them as their team to cheer on for the tournament? I know there are a few run ins with the nordie foot.ie posters here and i dont agree with a lot of their opinions but i for one would love to see them do well.

The latter.

micls
18/04/2009, 3:58 PM
Every set of IL/Ni fans that we have been involved with in the Setanta have been brilliant. From being treated like kings at Windsor to hosting a huge gang of excellents Glens supporters to the trips to Dungannon, Ports etc have been great experiences.

For that reason more than any other I'd want them to do well, for those fans.

Umberside
18/04/2009, 10:04 PM

Wouldn't really mind how they do. If they win the World Cup, fine, if they lose their three group matches, fine.

Gather round
19/04/2009, 6:46 PM
However the Neil Lennon saga turned me off them. I personally have no time for Lennon but the way he was treated was disgusting. I couldn't give a toss about them now tbh

I can understand that, but hopefully we can convince you that things have changed for the better since?

Probably best if we didnt meet to be honest because all that nonsense about GSTQ in Croke Park would come back and it would probably be 20 times worse given that it is football. It wouldnt probably overshadow the game itself...I personally, would love to go up to Windsor for an away though. Would love to sample the atmosphere there. Seems top notch for the numbers. Fair play to you for that

Thanks. I'll admit to some worry about the next time we're drawn together, and for the game in Dublin in 2011.

The atmosphere and thus home advantage at Windsor can be exaggerated a bit. As one of the Cliftonville fans mentioned on another thread, many fans there are a long way from the pitch, and you could actually fit in a GAA pitch :) And although results have been consistently good through the last two series, we only won six matches of 23 in the five previous tournaments.

Wouldn't really mind how they do. If they win the World Cup, fine, if they lose their three group matches, fine

You're very sanguine. How would you feel if, say, Slovenia, Estonia or Latvia won it? Not even a little excited? :)

Den Perry
20/04/2009, 10:53 AM
I supported them in '82 and '86, but after experiences at the Milk Cup and what went on in '93 I would support any other team (even Turkey) ahead of NI. I feel a little guilty towards Gather Round, because you seem a decent sort,but Ealing Green is another reason I would not support NI.

I would definitely support England ahead of NI. I know Gather Round referred to the Landsdowne Rd riots, but that was just a shower of bigots

On the subject of England, any English person I have come into contact with while we have been playing have always supported us (unless we are playing against them!!)

Gather round
20/04/2009, 11:08 AM
I feel a little guilty towards Gather Round, because you seem a decent sort,but Ealing Green is another reason I would not support NI

Thanks mate :) I'm sure you'd get on well with the big man if you met?

I supported them in '82 and '86, but after experiences at the Milk Cup and what went on in '93 I would support any other team (even Turkey) ahead of NI.

I would definitely support England ahead of NI. I know Gather Round referred to the Landsdowne Rd riots, but that was just a shower of bigots

Do you mean the youth team from Cherry Orchard whose B&B got bricked in Coleraine? Obviously upsetting for the people involved, but it seems a wee bit harsh for wishing us to lose against just anyone. Nothing against Turkey btw, I lived there until I was two.

I think there were rather fewer people involved in the Milk Cup thing, than those who kicked it off against England in Lansdowne?

On the subject of England, any English person I have come into contact with while we have been playing have always supported us (unless we are playing against them!!)

Don't want to generalise too much, but I've known many England fans who do that. Although they tend to be shocked when I explain that often their good wishes aren't returned :(

Den Perry
20/04/2009, 12:20 PM
Thanks mate :) I'm sure you'd get on well with the big man if you met?

Do you mean the youth team from Cherry Orchard whose B&B got bricked in Coleraine? Obviously upsetting for the people involved, but it seems a wee bit harsh for wishing us to lose against just anyone. Nothing against Turkey btw, I lived there until I was two.

I think there were rather fewer people involved in the Milk Cup thing, than those who kicked it off against England in Lansdowne?

Don't want to generalise too much, but I've known many England fans who do that. Although they tend to be shocked when I explain that often their good wishes aren't returned :(

No, it was actually with Stella Maris, and nothing as serious as a bricking, it was just the venom and spite displayed against an under 16 team because they were from the South....but hey, I'm probably generalising myself a bit now...no offence intended

EalingGreen
20/04/2009, 12:55 PM
I supported them in '82 and '86, but after experiences at the Milk Cup and what went on in '93 I would support any other team (even Turkey) ahead of NI. I feel a little guilty towards Gather Round, because you seem a decent sort,but Ealing Green is another reason I would not support NI.
Thanks for the recognition, mate! And there was I, imagining I was only a mere "keyboard warrior", of absolutely no importance in the grand scheme of things... :D

So you can ignore a gang of rioters at an actual match at Lansdowne Rd., but not another gang of would-be rioters in a housing estate in Coleraine (i.e. nowhere near a football match)?
I'm afraid you've got me confused there.
Any advice whether I and my fellow NI fans should use being stoned by locals as we exited Landsdowne after our game in 1978, as an excuse to wish the ROI team badly? Or was that just "a shower of bigots", to be ignored? ;)

Den Perry
20/04/2009, 1:15 PM
Thanks for the recognition, mate! And there was I, imagining I was only a mere "keyboard warrior", of absolutely no importance in the grand scheme of things... :D

So you can ignore a gang of rioters at an actual match at Lansdowne Rd., but not another gang of would-be rioters in a housing estate in Coleraine (i.e. nowhere near a football match)?
I'm afraid you've got me confused there.
Any advice whether I and my fellow NI fans should use being stoned by locals as we exited Landsdowne after our game in 1978, as an excuse to wish the ROI team badly? Or was that just "a shower of bigots", to be ignored? ;)

I doubt very much if it was the "locals" that stoned you. The residents of that area only throw dinner parties and rugby balls...

gspain
20/04/2009, 1:35 PM
I would wish them well and support them although it wouldn't even come close to following us.

I've gone up for a few recent games and the atmosphere is fantastic - well worth a visit.

They don't wish us well btw (in general) and see us as their main rivals. Windsor Park 1993 was blown out of all proportion. I was in the home end that night and couldn't believe the reaction when I got home the following day. There was certainly some disgusting sectarian stuff but i never felt in anyway threatened despite losing it when Alan McLoughlin scored THAT goal. Most of my friends and colleagues in Galway at the time who wouldn't be big football fans reckoned NI would lie down and let us win. This included the 2 guys in the back of my car going up. Many Danes think NI did lie down and let us equalise.

I plan on going to South Africa next year anyway. If we don't make it and they do I'll definitely be taking in some of their games.

Gather round
20/04/2009, 2:01 PM
They don't wish us well btw (in general) and see us as their main rivals

Many Danes think NI did lie down and let us equalise.

I plan on going to South Africa next year anyway. If we don't make it and they do I'll definitely be taking in some of their games

I think our fans' relationship with you is roughly similar to yours with England. A big-little brother thing as I said up thread.

Relax, you have much more chance of seeing your boys in the finals than ours :)

I guess Denmark roll over and give in every time they play Sweden (actually I don't, but it's about as plausible)...

EalingGreen
20/04/2009, 2:43 PM
I doubt very much if it was the "locals" that stoned you. The residents of that area only throw dinner parties and rugby balls...
I didn't think to ask whether they'd come far on the mission to lob stuff at us, strangely enough.

Then again, if I was minded to hold such events against other teams or their supporters, a minor detail like that would hardly put me off doing so.

How about you then, Den? :rolleyes:

Den Perry
21/04/2009, 12:21 PM
I didn't think to ask whether they'd come far on the mission to lob stuff at us, strangely enough.

Then again, if I was minded to hold such events against other teams or their supporters, a minor detail like that would hardly put me off doing so.

How about you then, Den? :rolleyes:

you did refer to them as "locals" in your earlier post my friend

Gather round
21/04/2009, 1:04 PM
you did refer to them as "locals" in your earlier post my friend

Den- I think we can assume Ealing meant 'Dubliners attending the game' rather than 'people who live in millionaire gated communities in Ballsbridge'. Let's not nitpick.

holidaysong
21/04/2009, 1:27 PM
For someone from the South, it depends on how you view the team to be honest:

(a) The NI team represents Irish people who just happen to live in a different political jurisdiction to the one I live in (Irish here could include both RC's and Protestants, like the Irish rugby team does).

(b) The NI team is the national team of those in NI who identify themselves as British (they do after all use GSTQ, the British national anthem).

In case (a) I support the team, in case (b) I don't.

EalingGreen
21/04/2009, 2:59 PM
Den- I think we can assume Ealing meant 'Dubliners attending the game' rather than 'people who live in millionaire gated communities in Ballsbridge'. Let's not nitpick.

Unless Mr. Perry prefers to "nitpick", so as to draw attention from my main point, which he still declines to address.

Namely, he uses a bunch of bigots in a sh1tty NI housing estate abusing some kids from a Dublin schoolboy team, as an excuse not to support the NI football team, despite the fact that this occurred at midnight, was nowhere near any football game and didn't involve any (identifiable) NI football fans.

Meanwhile, some English people travel with the England support all the way to Dublin for an England international, attend the game with them and proceed to wreck the joint, thereby causing the game to be called off. But that is insufficient excuse for DP to hold any hard feelings against the England football team.

Personally, I don't think it fair automatically to tar any team or its fans on account of the actions of a minority of thugs, especially those entirely unconnected with the team (which was why I quoted my own experience at Lansdowne).

It would appear, however, that Mr. Perry thinks otherwise.

Back to you, Den.

EalingGreen
21/04/2009, 3:18 PM
For someone from the South, it depends on how you view the team to be honest:

(a) The NI team represents Irish people who just happen to live in a different political jurisdiction to the one I live in (Irish here could include both RC's and Protestants, like the Irish rugby team does).

(b) The NI team is the national team of those in NI who identify themselves as British (they do after all use GSTQ, the British national anthem).

In case (a) I support the team, in case (b) I don't.

Hmmm, I wonder how the likes of Sammy Clingan views the team he plays for so forcefully?

For as regards your Scenario (A), he would be quite entitled to play for the team representing the political jurisdiction which you live in, thereby getting round the "problem" of just happening to come from NI.

As for your Scenario (B), I doubt very much whether he "identifies [himself] as British"...;)

Maybe your view from the South is obstructed, so that you cannot see the existence of Scenario (C): Namely that the NI team is made up of people from NI who are happy to represent NI, simply because that is where they come from, irrespective of their own, their teammates' or their supporters' private political allegiances.

P.S. Your analogy with the Ireland rugby team in Scenario (A) overlooks the fact that they use "The Soldiers' Song" and Tricolour as their "national" anthem and flag, despite some of the Ireland team being "British" rather than "Irish" - at least when it comes to such identifying political symbols etc. Perhaps the next time you look to the North, you might see more clearly if you use both eyes, not just one?

SkStu
21/04/2009, 3:20 PM
out of interest EG, and apologies if you have already answered this, would you be shouting for the Republic of Ireland team at South Africa in the event NI didnt make it?

EalingGreen
21/04/2009, 3:47 PM
out of interest EG, and apologies if you have already answered this, would you be shouting for the Republic of Ireland team at South Africa in the event NI didnt make it?
No, not since the FAI unilaterally reneged, after 50 years of happy operation, on the Gentlemens' Agreement* with the IFA, whereby both Associations pledged not to pick players from the "others" jurisdiction.
Which is not the same as saying I wouldn't be pleased on a personal basis for the Republic's fans, who seem to me to be amongst the best on the international scene.

This btw is somewhat different from an earlier World Cup experience in Italia 90. I went out to watch that tournament along with two Scottish mates, becoming an "unofficial" member of the Tartan Army along the way.
Then when the Jocks exited the tournament predictably early(!), I decided to stay on when they went back home.
Being a Spurs fan living in London, I might have followed England from this stage (I went to Bologna for their game with Belgium), but tbh there was so much hassle with hooliganism etc, that I had no appetite for it.
Meanwhile, I was very struck by a minor incident where I saw two guys from NI who just happened to be in my hotel, go up to a group of ROI fans and congratulate them on qualifying for the 2nd Phase.
After that small act of sportsmanship, I decided to tag along with the ROI fans, having a whale of a time in the process. Indeed, I actually got to attend the Romania game in Genoa, which was a mighty occasion, before my funds finally ran out and I had to return home.
So it's nothing personal (you bunch of cnuts! :D)

* - An Agreement which ironically was requested by the FAI :rolleyes:

holidaysong
21/04/2009, 3:53 PM
Maybe your view from the South is obstructed, so that you cannot see the existence of Scenario (C): Namely that the NI team is made up of people from NI who are happy to represent NI, simply because that is where they come from, irrespective of their own, their teammates' or their supporters' private political allegiances.

P.S. Your analogy with the Ireland rugby team in Scenario (A) overlooks the fact that they use "The Soldiers' Song" and Tricolour as their "national" anthem and flag, despite some of the Ireland team being "British" rather than "Irish" - at least when it comes to such identifying political symbols etc. Perhaps the next time you look to the North, you might see more clearly if you use both eyes, not just one?

For someone from the South though, scenario (c) won't really have an effect on whether they support the NI team or not. Indeed, I'm not denying that scenario (c) exists. However, I wasn't arguing for viewing the NI team as either (a) or (b), instead I was suggesting that whether someone from the South likes to see the NI team do well or likes to see them crash and burn will probably have a lot to do with their interpretation of who/what the team represents.

I don't see why the flag and anthem of the rugby team are relevant for my analogy. The analogy here had to do with scenario (a) whereby someone from the South might regard the NI players as being 'Irish' (RC & Protestant Irish). Likewise, many (if not all) Southern supporters of the rugby team would view the 15 rugby players as 'Irish' even though one or two probably only consider themselves 'Irish' when on a rugby field.

SkStu
21/04/2009, 4:19 PM
No, not since the FAI unilaterally reneged, after 50 years of happy operation, on the Gentlemens' Agreement* with the IFA, whereby both Associations pledged not to pick players from the "others" jurisdiction.
Which is not the same as saying I wouldn't be pleased on a personal basis for the Republic's fans, who seem to me to be amongst the best on the international scene.

This btw is somewhat different from an earlier World Cup experience in Italia 90. I went out to watch that tournament along with two Scottish mates, becoming an "unofficial" member of the Tartan Army along the way.
Then when the Jocks exited the tournament predictably early(!), I decided to stay on when they went back home.
Being a Spurs fan living in London, I might have followed England from this stage (I went to Bologna for their game with Belgium), but tbh there was so much hassle with hooliganism etc, that I had no appetite for it.
Meanwhile, I was very struck by a minor incident where I saw two guys from NI who just happened to be in my hotel, go up to a group of ROI fans and congratulate them on qualifying for the 2nd Phase.
After that small act of sportsmanship, I decided to tag along with the ROI fans, having a whale of a time in the process. Indeed, I actually got to attend the Romania game in Genoa, which was a mighty occasion, before my funds finally ran out and I had to return home.
So it's nothing personal (you bunch of cnuts! :D)

* - An Agreement which ironically was requested by the FAI :rolleyes:

from that it sounds to me like you would (just not out loud) ;)

EalingGreen
21/04/2009, 4:29 PM
For someone from the South though, scenario (c) won't really have an effect on whether they support the NI team or not. Indeed, I'm not denying that scenario (c) exists. However, I wasn't arguing for viewing the NI team as either (a) or (b), instead I was suggesting that whether someone from the South likes to see the NI team do well or likes to see them crash and burn will probably have a lot to do with their interpretation of who/what the team represents.
Fair enough.

I don't see why the flag and anthem of the rugby team are relevant for my analogy. Er, it was you who raised the topic of the Ireland rugby team and anthem etc...;)

The analogy here had to do with scenario (a) whereby someone from the South might regard the NI players as being 'Irish' (RC & Protestant Irish). Likewise, many (if not all) Southern supporters of the rugby team would view the 15 rugby players as 'Irish' even though one or two probably only consider themselves 'Irish' when on a rugby field.I think I see what you're saying i.e. that someone from the South may either consider supporting NI out of a feeling of fellow "Irishness" or, conversely, decline to do so because he/she sees us as being a "British" team.
The point I am trying to get across is that I would prefer it if people from the Republic viewed the NI team without applying any political identity to it, instead simply regarding us as the football team of their closest neighbours.

EalingGreen
21/04/2009, 4:35 PM
from that it sounds to me like you would (just not out loud) ;)
I don't mind stating publicly that I would like to support the ROI team in the given circumstances, were it not for the double-dealing of the FAI directly impinging upon my own team's prospects.
That loud enough for you? :D

Poor Student
21/04/2009, 4:56 PM
I don't mind stating publicly that I would like to support the ROI team in the given circumstances, were it not for the double-dealing of the FAI directly impinging upon my own team's prospects.
That loud enough for you? :D

You wouldn't be the first person to support the ROI team in spite of the FAI.;)

To paraphrase Mo from the Simpsons, I wish Northern Ireland well in that I wish them no specific harm. Personally, I'm still hoping Slovenia can qualify from the group.

brendy_éire
21/04/2009, 5:30 PM
The point I am trying to get across is that I would prefer it if people from the Republic viewed the NI team without applying any political identity to it, instead simply regarding us as the football team of their closest neighbours.

But it's always going to be difficult not to view the NI team with an attached political identity when the existance of that entity is questioned.

Personally, I used to actively support the north, maybe even more so than the south.
I despise Celtic, but the Lennon thing turned me very much against the NI team, to the extent that I wanted them to get thrashed in every game they played.

Recently I've gone to a few NI games with the intention of supporting NI (although I refuse to go into the stand for GSTQ), but find myself wanting them to lose, and being disappointed when they win.

I guess I'd like to think I'm in the (a) catergory, as they're a team of Irishmen, but I think I'm actually in catergory (b) in that I fail to associate myself with the team in any real way. It just doesn't feel like 'my' team, whilst it does feel like 'my' team when I'm at a southern game.

geysir
21/04/2009, 5:59 PM
I'd have no problem wishing them well as in get a result against any other team and getting through their group to the last 16. It's only natural. Whatever díckheads are in the IFA wouldn't bother me in the least.
It was great to watch their progress in the 82WC.

EalingGreen
21/04/2009, 7:10 PM
You wouldn't be the first person to support the ROI team in spite of the FAI.;)

I support NI in spite of the IFA. I cannot support ROI because of the FAI. The distinction is important. ;)

ifk101
21/04/2009, 7:24 PM
I support NI in spite of the IFA. I cannot support ROI because of the FAI. The distinction is important. ;)

I suppose the FAI's one saving grace is that it's not the most incompetent football association in existence.

EalingGreen
21/04/2009, 7:29 PM
But it's always going to be difficult not to view the NI team with an attached political identity when the existance of that entity is questioned.

Difficult for some people, not difficult for other people, not relevant for yet more people.
I accept that it is important to you, as is your right. But in the end, it is only important to you because you make it so.

Personally, I used to actively support the north, maybe even more so than the south.
I despise Celtic, but the Lennon thing turned me very much against the NI team, to the extent that I wanted them to get thrashed in every game they played.

Exactly which aspect(s) of the Lennon thing was it which caused you to change your views so much? Were you at the Norway game where he was booed? Or any of the subsequent games he played for NI? (Genuine questions, btw)

Recently I've gone to a few NI games with the intention of supporting NI (although I refuse to go into the stand for GSTQ), but find myself wanting them to lose, and being disappointed when they win.

If I've got this correct, before the game you want NI to win, but by the end you want them to lose. What is it that transpires in between which accounts for this transformation?
And re GSTQ, I'm no fan of it being played at our games, either (I find it's a good time to visit the bog - no queue - for a last-minute slash, as it happens).
However, when I used to attend Ireland rugby games at Lansdowne, my attitude to The Soldiers Song was always: "Stand Up, Shut Up, Now Enjoy the bloody Game!" (That is, I refused to let it be important to me)

I guess I'd like to think I'm in the (a) catergory, as they're a team of Irishmen, but I think I'm actually in catergory (b) in that I fail to associate myself with the team in any real way. It just doesn't feel like 'my' team, whilst it does feel like 'my' team when I'm at a southern game.
Obviously I regret that you cannot feel able to join the GAWA, but it's a free world; imo people may choose which football team they support, for whatever reason, or none.

EalingGreen
21/04/2009, 7:33 PM
I suppose the FAI's one saving grace is that it's not the most incompetent football association in existence.
Hmmm, not sure. I could have sworn you were ahead of us in the FIFA Incompetence Rankings? (It certainly wasn't the other FIFA Rankings...;))

ifk101
21/04/2009, 7:54 PM
Hmmm, not sure. I could have sworn you were ahead of us in the FIFA Incompetence Rankings?

You should be "supportive" of the FAI in that case ;)

(It certainly wasn't the other FIFA Rankings...;))

Enjoy your month in the sun EG. Milk it for all it's worth :D.

Gather round
21/04/2009, 10:59 PM
I was suggesting that whether someone from the South likes to see the NI team do well or likes to see them crash and burn will probably have a lot to do with their interpretation of who/what the team represents

As Ealing says, there's another (likely quite large) category of fans in the Republic: those who will treat NI broadly like any other team from Iceland to Istanbul, and not be that bothered about whose politics they represent? To be honest, it's this category I feel most comfortable with. The problem is that it can be a small step from 'support them because they're an Irish team' to 'let's have just one Irish team'...

Likewise, many (if not all) Southern supporters of the rugby team would view the 15 rugby players as 'Irish' even though one or two probably only consider themselves 'Irish' when on a rugby field

Any player who has grown up and played schools, club, provincial rugby in NI almost certainly considers himself Irish. Perhaps British as well, the two aren't mutually exclusive :)

To paraphrase Mo from the Simpsons, I wish Northern Ireland well in that I wish them no specific harm. Personally, I'm still hoping Slovenia can qualify from the group

Still a real possibility: if everyone beats SMR twice and all other eight remaining games are home wins, Slovenia would have 11 points- level with the Czechs, and ahead of us and Poland on 10.

Recently I've gone to a few NI games with the intention of supporting NI (although I refuse to go into the stand for GSTQ), but find myself wanting them to lose, and being disappointed when they win

I'm a bit puzzled by this. Why do you want them to lose? Something that happened during the games? What makes you change your mind each time?

As for GSTQ, I would just ignore it, like many of us do.

I suppose the FAI's one saving grace is that it's not the most incompetent football association in existence

Aye, like Hitler and Stalin's saving grace was not murdering as many people as Mao? Not much of a recommendation, that.

brendy_éire
22/04/2009, 7:49 AM
Difficult for some people, not difficult for other people, not relevant for yet more people.
I accept that it is important to you, as is your right. But in the end, it is only important to you because you make it so.

True, but it's probably important for millions like me.

Exactly which aspect(s) of the Lennon thing was it which caused you to change your views so much? Were you at the Norway game where he was booed? Or any of the subsequent games he played for NI? (Genuine questions, btw)

No, wasn't at the game or subsequent ones where he played. I do realise it was the work of a few, but I thought we were past that. It maybe annoyed me more than it didn't matter what his religion was to these people, it was because he played for Celtic (also annoys me that Boruc got so much attention the other week). It was a minority, but a big enough minority to make me feel alienated from the NI team. (BTW, I'm aware of the Celtic-fest that sometimes surrounds southern games, which is why I'm reluctant to travel to away games)

If I've got this correct, before the game you want NI to win, but by the end you want them to lose. What is it that transpires in between which accounts for this transformation?

I'm a bit puzzled by this. Why do you want them to lose? Something that happened during the games? What makes you change your mind each time?

I think it's a heart v head thing. I can sit here now and say that I want the north to qualify for the next WC, but come the next match I'm watching, I won't really. I will want them to lose.
I don't know what it is that stops me from supporting them. I'd guess that things I that I feel negatively about generally (NI flag*, the Windsor/Linfield connection, anthem, people cheering when the scores are announced and the south are losing, down to little things like people using the word 'Ulster' instead of 'NI') are associated with NI matches, and this can make me feel somewhat alienated from, and not entirely a part of, what NI team represents.

Maybe how I feel will change someday. Maybe not. But I'll keep trying.

(* I am aware that this is not realistically going to change, and it doesn't actually bother me that it's used at NI matches)