PDA

View Full Version : RTÉ Champions League junkets

Sheridan
16/04/2009, 12:33 PM
These are really beginning to annoy me, given the supposed budgetary constraints at the organisation. Why is it necessary for RTÉ to send not one, nor two, but three commentary staff across Europe for these games? Since they're only interested in and only ever broadcast British sides' games, and since the likes of Darragh Maloney have zero knowledge to impart, why have a commentary team at the venue at all? They could do it just as well/badly over the broadcast footage.

Not only that, but the likes of Ray Houghton, John Giles and Trevor Steven are brought over from Brtain at RTÉ's expense on a weekly basis. Crisis? What crisis?

pete
16/04/2009, 1:30 PM
Do they send commentators to the highlights games?

I remember a few years ago they cut back the Premier Legaue highlights budget so now all commentary done from RTE studios.

OwlsFan
16/04/2009, 1:36 PM
I suspect the viewing figures and consequent advertising revenue justifies it for these particular programmes. We certainly don't need 4muppets in the studio. Sky and ITV have at max 3and sometimes only 2.

Emmet7
16/04/2009, 1:42 PM
I think sending commentators abroad to big Champions League games does help with the atmosphere of the game.

Champions league matches, especially ones involving English teams are well watched by viewers, maybe 500,000 or more.

It is unfortunate most of the pundits such as Trevor Stephen, Giles, Souness, Houghtan etc are abroad and have to be flown in, but what can we do.

Generally the RTE punditry is good, better and more incisive than the other channels but they do take risks as well, sometimes go over the top and sometimes they get it wrong as well. They aren' t infallable that's for sure, Giles included. All they are offering as ex-pros is an educated guess, more educated than the rest of us.

NeilMcD
16/04/2009, 1:43 PM
Jesus lads, RTE are entitled to do whatever they like with a show like the Champions league as the thing pays for itself. The reaction of the numbskulls in a recession is cut cut cut. I for one am glad that they provide their own analysis and their own commentary for these games. Also if they cut for a profitable show like the Champions League what would do do for a show like MNS or the live League of Ireland games that actually make a loss.

NeilMcD
16/04/2009, 1:45 PM
I suspect the viewing figures and consequent advertising revenue justifies it for these particular programmes. We certainly don't need 4muppets in the studio. Sky and ITV have at max 3and sometimes only 2.

I do not think that ITV and Sky are the benchmark for good broadcasting. RTE are very good at covering live sport. Anybody that I know who visits Ireland and sees our rugby coverage or football coverage cannot get over the level of analysis and the quality of it. I do not agree with everything these guys say but compared to Robbie Earle Jaimie Redknapp and Andy Townsend there is no comparison.

pete
16/04/2009, 1:48 PM
Champions league matches, especially ones involving English teams are well watched by viewers, maybe 500,000 or more.

In the interest of accurate debate, the Quarter Final 1st legs drew 300k viewers each.

Sheridan
16/04/2009, 1:50 PM
It is unfortunate most of the pundits such as Trevor Stephen, Giles, Souness, Houghtan etc are abroad and have to be flown in, but what can we do.
Not fly them in?

NeilMcD, you do realise that MNS's budget is probably the smallest for any RTÉ show ever broadcast in primetime? They'd axe it in a moment if it wasn't for pressure from the FAI.

As for this old canard about RTÉ's panellists being the best on TV, they know nothing about all bar four of the teams in the competition and attempt to cover their ignorance with bluster and controversy. There's about nothing enlightening about it.

NeilMcD
16/04/2009, 1:54 PM
Not fly them in?

NeilMcD, you do realise that MNS's budget is probably the smallest for any RTÉ show ever broadcast in primetime? They'd axe it in a moment if it wasn't for pressure from the FAI.

As for this old canard about RTÉ's panellists being the best on TV, they know nothing about all bar four of the teams in the competition and attempt to cover their ignorance with bluster and controversy. There's about nothing enlightening about it.

I know its pretty small but the point I am making is that to use an expression I have heard a good bit of late, MNS does not wash its own face and the Champions League does. THe facts are that the Champions League coverage in fact pays for the MNS coverage.

thesilverfox
16/04/2009, 1:55 PM
Giles is flown in???? Didnt even know he lived in england. Sure he was based around Dublin.

passinginterest
16/04/2009, 2:35 PM
Giles is flown in???? Didnt even know he lived in england. Sure he was based around Dublin.

He used to get the boat. Drives an old Rover, saw him a few times when I used to work down in Dublin port.

As has been pointed out Champions League coverage pays for itself so no real issue with sending commentary teams to games or flying in pundits.

DeLorean
16/04/2009, 3:15 PM
I also enjoy the RTE coverage. Not only the Champions Lge but also come World Cup and European Championship time in paricular. I would take Sheridan's point that they are only knowlegable about the few English teams. Giles says it straight out when he doesn't know anything about certain teams/players but analyse's a game very well on it's own merits. Dunphy on the other hand pretends he's a student of Spanish soccer when it's obvious he hasn't a clue, just rattles off a couple of household names and says they're bad at the back.

irishultra
16/04/2009, 5:10 PM
i find rte rubbish generally, for example the over analysation of english teams in the champions league but actually i found the coverage pretty good recently.

however i cant wait for the time again when only one english team qualifies from group stages and they are forced to show other teams in the knockout round.

NeilMcD
16/04/2009, 5:15 PM
i find rte rubbish generally, for example the over analysation of english teams in the champions league but actually i found the coverage pretty good recently.

however i cant wait for the time again when only one english team qualifies from group stages and they are forced to show other teams in the knockout round.

If you wanna watch other teams, Sky have all the coverage for that or the Internet also streams every game. As I said the viewing figures for Chamions league funds programmes like MNS. This would not happen if they showe Barcelona V Bayern or Sporting Lisbon V InterMilan.

OwlsFan
17/04/2009, 9:35 AM
I do not think that ITV and Sky are the benchmark for good broadcasting. RTE are very good at covering live sport. Anybody that I know who visits Ireland and sees our rugby coverage or football coverage cannot get over the level of analysis and the quality of it. I do not agree with everything these guys say but compared to Robbie Earle Jaimie Redknapp and Andy Townsend there is no comparison.

I think you're confusing football analysis with waffle. Would you prefer to watch Andy if he just spouted any old rubbish that comes in to his head for the sake of being controversial and if they got in some old cynical codger who repeats himself ad nauseum as he tugs at his jacket and a compere who laughs at everything they say? Obviously you would.

NeilMcD
17/04/2009, 11:49 AM
I think you're confusing football analysis with waffle. Would you prefer to watch Andy if he just spouted any old rubbish that comes in to his head for the sake of being controversial and if they got in some old cynical codger who repeats himself ad nauseum as he tugs at his jacket and a compere who laughs at everything they say? Obviously you would.

Where is that strawman again, ahh there he is Owls Fan just constructed him.

JC_GUFC
19/04/2009, 7:11 PM

RTE is not the best but at least they generally call the game as it is (after it's over anyway) it's also a bit of craic but the aforementioned analyists on ITV are terrible. Jamie Redknapp hasn't a clue either, the sad thing is that the average barstooler hangs on every word of the Sky "analysis team"

I was in France during the week and although there was no analysis of the Liverpool game the commentary team was brilliant - for every attack the co-commentator was shouting over the commentator - great craic!

DeLorean
20/04/2009, 11:22 AM
Would you prefer to watch Andy if he just spouted any old rubbish that comes in to his head for the sake of being controversial

Andy Grays analysis consists of stating the obvious, getting it completely wrong and having access to information and passing it off as his own. He see's a player warming up that we don't and suggests what the manager might do on that basis, leaving out the bit where he can actually see him warming up of course!! when United played Villa a couple of wks back he said that it was a huge game for United- if they win the match they MIGHT go on to win the Championship but if they don't, he's not so sure. This being said for the most part he doesn't really annoy me for some reason, I do enjoy Craig Burley though, generally gets it right without stating the obvious. He really hates referees, funny!!

NeilMcD
20/04/2009, 11:31 AM
I think he was talking about Andy Townsend.

NeilMcD
20/04/2009, 11:34 AM
Andy Grays analysis consists of stating the obvious, getting it completely wrong and having access to information and passing it off as his own. He see's a player warming up that we don't and suggests what the manager might do on that basis, leaving out the bit where he can actually see him warming up of course!! when United played Villa a couple of wks back he said that it was a huge game for United- if they win the match they MIGHT go on to win the Championship but if they don't, he's not so sure. This being said for the most part he doesn't really annoy me for some reason, I'd take him over Lou Macari any day, that man makes me want to end it all!!! I do enjoy Craig Burley though, generally gets it right without stating the obvious. He really hates referees, funny!!

Yeah Lou Marcar has had a hard time with his sons death etc and it does seem to effect his commentary etc. I remember him losing the plot one time over Drogba listening to his IPOD on the bench. He said he would sell him straight away for that. Anyway I think this link will provide a bit of background to it.

http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/spectrum/Only-a-game-Lou-Macari.4370697.jp

OwlsFan
20/04/2009, 11:38 AM
He really hates referees, funny!!

All ex-players hate referees. Comes with the territory I suppose.

DeLorean
20/04/2009, 11:38 AM
I think he was talking about Andy Townsend.

Oh right

Yeah Lou Marcar has had a hard time with his sons death etc and it does seem to effect his commentary etc. I remember him losing the plot one time over Drogba listening to his IPOD on the bench. He said he would sell him straight away for that. Anyway I think this link will provide a bit of background to it.

http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/spectrum/Only-a-game-Lou-Macari.4370697.jp

Wasn't aware of that, I take it back