PDA

View Full Version : loisoccer@maths.tcd.ie

razor
15/04/2009, 12:05 PM
Found a lash of old emails from the mid 90's that I had sent and received to the mailing list above.

Does anyone remember this?
Does anyone know who ran it?

I do remember that Eugene C Montague ran the prediction competition.

Any help appreciated.

dcfc_1928
15/04/2009, 12:07 PM
I'm guessing that it was Julian Canny - given the maths.tcd.ie address.

Sheridan
15/04/2009, 12:09 PM
I think one of the old mailing lists was revived briefly about five years ago, got the shock of my life when I saw it in my inbox. Could you post some random messages up, razor? Always fun to see how much/little things have moved on.

dcfc_1928
15/04/2009, 12:11 PM
Sorry - I should have said, I do remember both very well. The days before web forums :D

Wasn't Eugene based in the US? University of Pennsylvania IIRC?

blackholesun
15/04/2009, 12:17 PM
I'm guessing that it was Julian Canny - given the maths.tcd.ie address.

No, it was a fella called Thomas Bridge IIRC.

He was a Bray Wanderers fan who setup the first ever Irish soccer page on the web, hosted on one of the trinity servers, it listed the various clubs in the league. The first ever Irish soccer team page was an unofficial Shamrock Rovers website hosted by the NUIM Maths dept a few months later.

bhs

razor
15/04/2009, 12:33 PM
No, it was a fella called Thomas BridgeThats the fella, all coming back to me now.

Wasn't Eugene based in the US? University of Pennsylvania IIRC?He was, and a Shamrock Rovers fan I think.

dcfc_1928
15/04/2009, 12:39 PM
Ah yes - that name rings a bell now alright.

Nice one :D

He was a Bray Wanderers fan who setup the first ever Irish soccer page on the web, hosted on one of the trinity servers, it listed the various clubs in the league. The first ever Irish soccer team page was an unofficial Shamrock Rovers website hosted by the NUIM Maths dept a few months later.

bhs

soccerc
15/04/2009, 12:47 PM

bhs

I would tend to disagree, Thomas was one of the pioneers.

First was on an old compuserve account which was a before www browsers were common, and was a text only service and not very accessible unless visitors had compuserve dial up accounts (£29.99) or access to PostGEM, a forerunner of IOL

The introduction of GIFs allowed limited images but was cumbersome

First club website was St Francis in 1 August 95 season some months before the Rovers one

soccerc
15/04/2009, 12:49 PM

bhs

First was on an old compuserve account which was a before www browsers were common, and was a text only service and not very accessible unless visitors had compuserve dial up accounts (£29.99 amonth fee plus dial up charges via a 2400 modem with terminal services) or access to PostGEM, a forerunner of IOL

The introduction of GIFs allowed limited images but was cumbersome

First club website was St Francis in 1 August 95 season some months before the Rovers one

razor
15/04/2009, 12:55 PM
Below is a match report from an Inter League game played in Cobh in April 1996.

LOI 0-1 Konica League Of Wales
Some Welsh fella after about 10 minutes

Went down to Cobh last night.
Nothing better to do, although I'm sure I could have found something. The
game was far from a classic, about as far as you could possibly get.
The Welsh 11 looked like a prison side and played and tackled like a prison
side.
The LOI Team could have been an under 21 side.
The goal was crap, after 10 minutes a quick free kick on the edge of the
area was played across the box,
some welsh fella, free shot on goal, keeper had no chance.

That was all there was to talk about really except for the psycho scouser
in midfield for the Taffs who thought he was Cantona with the collar up but
really he was like Vinny Jones. Can't remember his name but he plays for
Caernarfon Town. He went around kicking people etc and Pat Kelly was
probably afraid of him.
The front two Mark Reid and Mick O'Byrne got no change up front and It
wasn't until the last ten minutes when Beckett came on and O'Byrne dropped
back behind the front two that We looked like scoring.
Our Gareth had a free kick well saved by the keeper who also made a
brilliant point blank save from Mark Reid in the last minute.
The Shamrocks fan beside me was very disappointed with Derek Treacy's
performance and it wasn't until the substitution was made and he went to
right full did he see any ball.
The attendance was about 50-80 people and I'd say most of them were welsh.
The team was

1. Michael Dempsey (Bohemians)
2. Colin Tresson (Drogheda Utd)
3. Gareth Cronin (Cork City)
4. Terry Palmer (UCD)
5. Stephen Napier (Dundalk)
6. Peter Hutton (Derry City)
7. Jason Colwell (UCD)
8. Derek Treacy (Shamrock Rovers)
9. Mark Reid (Shamrock Rovers)
10. Mick O'Byrne (UCD)
11. Brian Byrne (Dundalk)

12. Gary Beckett (Derry City) for Tresson

Can't wait for next years Inter League Game.

Sheridan
15/04/2009, 1:04 PM
All of them went on to have decent careers in the league. Mark Reid doesn't ring a bell, though.

blackholesun
15/04/2009, 1:06 PM

First was on an old compuserve account which was a before www browsers were common, and was a text only service and not very accessible unless visitors had compuserve dial up accounts (£29.99 amonth fee plus dial up charges via a 2400 modem with terminal services) or access to PostGEM, a forerunner of IOL

Anything that didnt start with http: and end with .html on a webserver running http doesnt count as the web as we know it in my opinion, this sounds more a bulletin board account thingy.

???

How come Thomas Bridge's page or the cern index didnt have a link to it?

Another bulletin board account?

bhs

dcfc_1928
15/04/2009, 1:06 PM
I think he played for Sligo Rovers rather than Shamrock Rovers

All of them went on to have decent careers in the league. Mark Reid doesn't ring a bell, though.

pineapple stu
15/04/2009, 1:19 PM
He was with Shamrock Rovers alright.

Was involved in one of the most bizarre subs in the league, if memory serves. Waterford had two lads - Steve Brown was one - stuck in traffic coming down from Dublin for a match. They rang ahead and told the manager they'd be pushing kick off, so the manager decided to start with ten men and bring Brown on when he arrived. After five minutes, Waterford subbed on Reid for no-one. When Brown arrived, the ref wouldn't let him on anyway, saying he hadn't been in the ground at kick off. Think Reid was subbed off later.

soccerc
15/04/2009, 1:24 PM
Anything that didnt start with http: and end with .html on a webserver running http doesnt count as the web as we know it in my opinion, this sounds more a bulletin board account thingy.

???

How come Thomas Bridge's page or the cern index didnt have a link to it?

Another bulletin board account?

bhs

It was not bbs but html based, it as I said was only accessible via compuserve.

IIRC there were a few html codes <B> <BR> <TR> and <TD>

As for why it's not listed I dunno as at that time there was very little linking.

There was a link on the St Francis one to a US based site run by a relation of Nicky Brugos.

dcfc_1928
15/04/2009, 1:37 PM
This thread got me doing some googling.

A few of these old LOI sites are still live:

Sligo: http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Stadium/2448/
Bohs: http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Stadium/3592/

Whole loada links here:

http://members.tripod.com/~Akilduff/blues/links.html

Dodge
15/04/2009, 1:40 PM
The days when people used their real names on sites, and their work e-mail :D

Sheridan
15/04/2009, 1:43 PM
In the old Usenet days, people used to post their home addresses and phone numbers in their sigs!

stann
15/04/2009, 1:44 PM
He was with Shamrock Rovers alright.

Was involved in one of the most bizarre subs in the league, if memory serves. Waterford had two lads - Steve Brown was one - stuck in traffic coming down from Dublin for a match. They rang ahead and told the manager they'd be pushing kick off, so the manager decided to start with ten men and bring Brown on when he arrived. After five minutes, Waterford subbed on Reid for no-one. When Brown arrived, the ref wouldn't let him on anyway, saying he hadn't been in the ground at kick off. Think Reid was subbed off later.

From what I recall the game was v Sligo during the Sheephead era, and there were two English lads who regularly flew in for games, and Karl Gannon drove them down each time. All three (maybe Joe Keith was the third? Don't remember it being Big Dom) were thus late for the match.
The manager decided Brown was going to start late so we began with ten men, then word got to the bench (presumably when the ref saw us lined up with only ten :D) that none of the three latecomers would be allowed play, even as subs, so Reid was subbed on in Brown's (empty) place after a few minutes.
The fans went cracked but it turned out the ref was right, at the time at least, rules may have changed since. The reason we went mad was that it had happened against Longford the season before that a couple of their players were 15 minutes late but allowed on when they arrived.

Oh, and Thomas Bridge, feck me that is a blast from the past!
We had a mention of Eugene's prediction league not so long ago on here, and I think he was from University of Pennsylvania alright.

Larry 'da' Wyse
15/04/2009, 3:11 PM
Gas! Forgot all about this. Julian Canny was on the list too I remember. Slave to Galway.
Ultimate blast from the past.

Sheridan
15/04/2009, 3:56 PM
By the way, I started a thread on this topic almost exactly a year ago, some good stuff came up: http://foot.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=87922

Joe Strummer
15/04/2009, 4:02 PM
Here is the man himself
http://conservativehome.blogs.com/platform/2006/10/thomas_bridge_i.html

He went to the same school as me. was a year or two below but was a complete fruitcake :D

Rovers1
15/04/2009, 4:33 PM
I think he played for Sligo Rovers rather than Shamrock Rovers

Think your thinking of Nicky Reid

thesilverfox
15/04/2009, 5:48 PM
nicky reid was a midfielder but we def have a mark reid up front

blackholesun
15/04/2009, 6:26 PM

SRFC @ NUIM was Feb 1995 :D

http://www.iasfbo.inaf.it/extras/Services/Local/WhatsNew/95/whats-new-9503.html

bhs

blackholesun
15/04/2009, 6:45 PM
nicky reid was a midfielder but we def have a mark reid up front

Mark Reid was a striker who was over at Stoke IIRC and signed for Sligo.
Originally from Neilstown in Dublin, he later moved from Sligo to Rovers and scored a few goals for the Hoops.

bhs

Keen2win
15/04/2009, 7:17 PM
Some decent links here http://www.stmarksrangers.50megs.com/photo4.html

JC_GUFC
20/04/2009, 10:36 AM
Gas! Forgot all about this. Julian Canny was on the list too I remember. Slave to Galway.
Ultimate blast from the past.

I'm still here!! :D

When I was out in Bray a few weeks ago I had a quick look to see if I could spot Thomas. He was also a Southend United fan.

LeixlipRed
20/04/2009, 12:11 PM
SRFC @ NUIM was Feb 1995 :D

http://www.iasfbo.inaf.it/extras/Services/Local/WhatsNew/95/whats-new-9503.html

bhs

Any idea who ran this out in NUIM? I work in the Maths Dept there and would be curious to know.

JC_GUFC
20/04/2009, 12:43 PM
Pretty sure that would've been Paul Thomas.

showgies
20/04/2009, 1:50 PM
Mark Reid was a striker who was over at Stoke IIRC and signed for Sligo.
Originally from Neilstown in Dublin, he later moved from Sligo to Rovers and scored a few goals for the Hoops.

bhs

Including a bullet header on his return to the showgrounds :mad:

He is wearing Number 9 in this clip;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BozQwys3XZc&feature=channel_page

the-blue-harp
20/04/2009, 3:08 PM
Some decent links here http://www.stmarksrangers.50megs.com/photo4.html

tullyvinney rovers had a website...made my day!:D

Dodge
20/04/2009, 7:48 PM
Pretty sure that would've been Paul Thomas.

It was

Gareth
20/04/2009, 8:07 PM
A Shels web presence was started around those times too.

Dodge
20/04/2009, 10:10 PM
A Shels web presence was started around those times too.

yeah, most started around that time.

Gareth
20/04/2009, 10:26 PM
yeah, most started around that time.

It was a good time. :) the olde shels chat page was a long list of links, I still have it somewhere. you were dodge back then too yeah? or did you go by a different name?

MariborKev
20/04/2009, 10:53 PM
We got the internet at home for the Christmas of 94/95.:eek:

Gareth
21/04/2009, 7:24 AM
We got the internet at home for the Christmas of 94/95.:eek:

We got it a little later. 28.8k modem, size of an a4 foolscap, roughly 3 inches thick. All text. I remember getting Mosiac. Awesome stuff :).

Dodge
21/04/2009, 10:24 AM
It was a good time. :) the olde shels chat page was a long list of links, I still have it somewhere. you were dodge back then too yeah? or did you go by a different name?

Nope. Set up a Pats website with my real name in 1996 (only had internet in college). Kept it going for a few years.

blackholesun
21/04/2009, 8:22 PM
Used to telnet to cern for a few weeks before mosaic was installed on the college system. I remember the first image I downloaded was a photo of Area51 / Groom Lake taken from a nearby hillside. Left the pic downloading, went off for lunch and came back and it had finished downloading :)

bhs