PDA

View Full Version : Irish players getting promoted/relegated to/from the EPL.

Pages : [1] 2

Razors left peg
14/04/2009, 5:31 PM
I think Newcastle might survive, have no reason to think it really its just a feeling, but either way Id love to see Duff outta there next season. Id kinda like to see him link up with Robbie at Spurs, I still think hes good enough for a decent club if the right manager can get the best outta them

Stuttgart88
14/04/2009, 5:44 PM
Maik Taylor was sent off yesterday so Doyle may get a short run in the team now.

A mate met Stephen McPhail before Christmas and he says he still hopes for a call up. I don't fancy his chances but I think he was named in the original Portugal training group.

Umberside
14/04/2009, 6:09 PM
West Brom, Newcastle and Stoke are the best teams to go down. Duff will move and I don't expect Whelan would be too affected by being relegated. He's not playing all the time anyway.

irishfan86
14/04/2009, 6:11 PM
West Brom, Newcastle and Stoke are the best teams to go down. Duff will move and I don't expect Whelan would be too affected by being relegated. He's not playing all the time anyway.

Whelan didn't play much at the start of the season, but is now almost always in the starting XI. To say he's not playing all the time is simply inaccurate.

eirebhoy
14/04/2009, 6:53 PM
3 of Stoke's current midfield 4 are Irish (Whelan, Delap and Lawrence have all started the last 5 games, with 3 wins and a draw). Surely you'd rather Middlesbrough go down? :confused:

cestlavie
14/04/2009, 9:44 PM
Mooney at Reading currently on loan with Norwich

rambler14
15/04/2009, 3:56 PM
McPhail is in and out of the Cardiff team these days and lost his captaincy. I wouldn't be very hopeful that he'd still be part of Cardiff's plans if they went up.

He's lost the captaincy due to his lack of discipline in big games and was originally dropped for about 10-12 games but he has come back in to the team in the last month and a half and has been very impressive alongside Joe Ledley who incidently has replaced him as captain and also Gavin Rae has returned tot he team to partner McPhail with Ledley moving to the wing.

superfrank
15/04/2009, 10:44 PM
Does it really matter what division these lads are playing in?

I mean, as long as they're playing football well week in, week out, then it doesn't really matter what division they're playing in.

Also, with the way the team's set up at the mo, I'd say it'd be more beneficial for Irish players to be playing regularly in a Championship side (which is more physical, from what I've seen) than being in and out of a Premiership side.

Stuttgart88
16/04/2009, 12:08 PM
Yeah, but for sake of argument, it's obvious that PcPhail is a more cultured footballer than most in the Championship. So just because that's where he plays shouldn't disqualify him from selection.

I'm largely in aggreement with superfrank, though I'd qualify it by saying that I'm happy enough with our players being at the better Championship clubs and as long as the Irish team isn't dependent on lower division players. At the moment I think we've got a decent mix. Ideally we'd have everyone playing regularly in the PL (or top flight elsewhere - that old chestnut).

wexfordned
16/04/2009, 12:50 PM
Calling the championship "physical" is a nice way of saying its all brawn and no brain. Those aren't the kind of players we want filling out our team.

Do you even watch the Irish team??:confused:

Ireland has a small pool of players to pick from. The majority of which at the moment play in the championship.

At the moment Ireland has only one truly top class player & that is Shay Given. Beyond that you have a few playing regular premiership
football like Duff, Dunne, Keane, O' Shea, Kilbane

You couldn't even name a Irish XI of permiership players playing regular first team football so to rule out championship players is frankly idiotic

superfrank
16/04/2009, 1:19 PM
Nonsense. There's not even two regular Irish goalkeepers.

lionelhutz
16/04/2009, 1:39 PM
For the sake of argument - im going to try put together a current Irish team playing regularly in the Premier League or in a Champs League team (in McGeadys case);

Given

McShane Dunne O'Shea Kilbane

McGeady Whelan Andrews Duff

Keane Folan

Ive highlighted Folan and McShane cause they're not regulars in the Premier League but we've no other options. Maybe Wilson with Portsmouth? Could also put Stephen Reid into 5 man midfield and play Keane on his own up front.

Predator
16/04/2009, 3:03 PM
I wonder if some young fringe players at the bigger clubs, (like Gibson at United for example) will make it into the regular first-team set-up, or will they look elsewhere for regular football. I read somewhere that Gibson was content at United, but in reality, he'd need to be playing more first-team football if he is to further his development. It would help at least.

tetsujin1979
16/04/2009, 3:16 PM
Also you could comfortably name two starting XI's of Irish players playing regularly in the top tier.
Knock yourself out: http://www.chatsoccer.net/irishabroad/competitionDetails.xquery

WexCar
16/04/2009, 6:27 PM
Team A

Given
McShane O'Shea Dunne Kilbane
Duff Andrews Whelan McGeady
Keane Folan

Team B

Kiely (not a regular but had to put someone here!)
S.Kelly Andy O Brien Delap
Lawerence Delap Gibson Andy Reid Treacy
Ireland
D.Murphy

Others not included: Finnan, S.Reid, Flood, Sheridan, O'Dea

:confused::)

richieos
16/04/2009, 6:52 PM
Team A

Given
Keane Folan

Team B

Ireland
D.Murphy

in team B, you have delap twice..and treacy,s.kelly,d.murphy,gibson and andy reid arent exactly regulars either, they're all in and out of their teams

edit - same goes for mcshane and folan.

SilkCut
17/04/2009, 2:57 AM
Team A

Given
Keane Folan

Team B

Ireland
D.Murphy

Eh Delap twice as already pointed out, but didn't O'Brien retire and have you convinced ******** to play for his country again???

Razors left peg
17/04/2009, 5:47 AM
in team B, you have delap twice..and treacy,s.kelly,d.murphy,gibson and andy reid arent exactly regulars either, they're all in and out of their teams

edit - same goes for mcshane and folan.

Reid is a regular more or less, and Treacy was at stages this season

irishfan86
17/04/2009, 6:06 AM
Reid is a regular more or less, and Treacy was at stages this season

Reid has been an almost ever present since Sbragia's appointment, but it would be a stretch to call Treacy a regular- he is very much in and out of Blackburn's team, but he is regularly in the squad.

wexfordned
17/04/2009, 10:55 AM
Team A

Given
Keane Folan

Team B

Ireland
D.Murphy

Andy O'Brien has retired from international football.
Darren Gibson is only a regular in the carling cup reserve/kids team
Stephen Ireland ?
Stephen Kelly has played 3 games for stoke (only started 1)

tricky_colour
18/04/2009, 3:59 PM
Lawrance scored for Stoke so that puts them safe I would think.
Sunderland also won.
Newcastle would be seem to be chasing Hull and Blackburn to escape relegation
They have to make up 4 points but they have a game in hand against Tottenham away tomorrow, they could do with a win.

Oh and Wolves promoted!

SkStu
18/04/2009, 3:59 PM
Stoke Blackburn was the live game here today. Stoke are pretty close to guaranteeing their survival.

Whelan was outstanding today and (i would say) was better overall than Liam Lawrence who was superb but won man of the match. Delap was a little quieter than usual and Kelly was solid but unspectacular.

Andrews for Blackburn is not a premiership quality player based on that performance. Schoolboy errors of holding on to the ball too long, was directly at fault for the Stoke goal giving the ball away with a sloppy pass near his own box. Pretty unimpressive.

Superhoops
18/04/2009, 4:05 PM
Lawrance scored for Stoke so that puts them safe I would think.
Sunderland also won.
Newcastle would be seem to be chasing Hull and Blackburn to escape relegation
They have to make up 4 points but they have a game in hand against Tottenham away tomorrow, they could do with a win.

Oh and Wolves promoted!

Andy Reid setting up the goal for Cisse. Surely Reid must be back in the squad for Bulgaria.

tricky_colour
18/04/2009, 5:37 PM
Just noticed Middlesbrough can escape too, that would not be very desirable.
Anyway I stole this list from someone else, relegation run-ins:-
(points and games need adjusting as were 2 games out of date)

Bolton Wanderers - Played 30 Points 34

A v Portsmouth
H v Aston Villa
A v Wigan
H v Sunderland
H v Hull
A v Man City

Hull City - Played 30 Points 33

A v Sunderland
H v Liverpool
A v Aston Villa
H v Stoke
A v Bolton
H v Man Utd

Sunderland - Played 30 Points 32

H v Hull City
A v West Bromich Albion
H v Everton
A v Bolton
A v Portsmouth
H v Chelsea

Portsmouth - Played 29 Points 32

A v Man Utd
A v Newcastle
H v Arsenal
A v Blackburn
H v Sunderland
A v Wigan

Stoke City - Played 30 Points 32

A v Fulham
H v West Ham
A v Hull
H v Wigan
A v Arsenal

Blackburn Rovers - Played 30 Points 31

A v Stoke
H v Wigan
A v Man City
H v Portsmouth
A v Chelsea
H v West Brom

Newcastle United - Played 30 Points 29

A v Tottenham
H v Portsmouth
A v Liverpool
H v Middlesbrough
H v Fulham
A v Aston Villa

Middlesbrough - Played 30 Points 27

H v Fulham
A v Arsenal
H v Man Utd
A v Newcastle
H v Aston Villa
A v West Ham

Irish_Praha
18/04/2009, 5:44 PM
Overall shaping up to be a very positive promotion / relegation switch from an Irish perspective!

Very positive apart from Reading. There's no way they are going to get automatic promotion now and their form hasn't been good at all in the last few months. I would worry for them in the playoffs. They might not even finish in the top 6, although with only 2-3 games left they do have a 3 point lead and a game in hand on the two teams just outside of the playoffs.

If Birmingham hold onto 2nd I would tip Sheff UTD, the form team at the moment, to get through the play-offs. Then again Burnley have proven themselves to be a good cup side this season.

If Reading don't get promoted where will that leave Doyle and S. Hunt?
I think S. Hunt would find it easier to get a team in the Premiership when you look at his assists but who's going to take a chance on Doyle and offer the type of money Reading would be asking for? He might have to stay there another season and hopr they get promoted or he has a better season. The other Hunt and Long would stay in the championship with Reading.

irishfan86
19/04/2009, 7:25 AM
Liam Lawrence was fantastic against Blackburn. Hopefully he gets a run in this Nigeria friendly and moves up the pecking order as an option for the right wing position.

Not sure if he's better than McGeady, but he need to at least be our second choice right winger ahead of the likes of Keogh (may be a forward option for us at some point but is never a winger).

Irish_Praha
19/04/2009, 7:47 AM
Liam Lawrence was fantastic against Blackburn. Hopefully he gets a run in this Nigeria friendly and moves up the pecking order as an option for the right wing position.

Not sure if he's better than McGeady, but he need to at least be our second choice right winger ahead of the likes of Keogh (may be a forward option for us at some point but is never a winger).

Totally agree. If the likes of Keogh can make it into the starting 11 as a winger then this guy deserves at least a place in the squad. He's very physical, tall direct and strong. Exactly what we will need to ruffle some Italian feathers in the home game. If Duff and McGeady were both out of form or injured I could see Lawrence and Hunt giving the Italians a horrible time on the wings.

The Legend
20/04/2009, 5:18 PM
always thought Lawrence deserved a spot ahead of the likes of Liam Miller.

Stuttgart88
20/04/2009, 5:24 PM
Absolutely agree.

Square pegs should go in square holes.

I really hope he makes the Nigeria squad so Trap can get a look at him. Very good set piece taker and he's got a physical edge to his game.

Was he ever selected for an early Trap squad or a B squad? I know he was unavailable through injury a lot but I just want an idea of whether he's even been in Trap's radar (or Brady's / Givens' / Tardelli's....).

irishultra
20/04/2009, 5:27 PM
the thing is doyle, hunt etc. are hardly gonna become better players by just randomly getting promoted. i'd love to to see how fahey would perform in the english top division.

The Legend
20/04/2009, 5:50 PM
the thing is doyle, hunt etc. are hardly gonna become better players by just randomly getting promoted. i'd love to to see how fahey would perform in the english top division.

I disagree, playing every week against top opposition does make you a better player.

tetsujin1979
20/04/2009, 7:54 PM
Was he ever selected for an early Trap squad or a B squad?Was in the squad for Nottingham Forest, had to pull out with an injury

Scram
23/04/2009, 9:05 AM
Johnathan Douglas has some chance of making the Championship! Alan Sheehan also (but may have been there already if he stayed with Leicester) Currently on loan from Leeds to Crewe :(

holidaysong
03/05/2009, 12:34 PM
Final day in the Championship today. Fahey, Carsley and Carr start for Birmingham. Long and S. Hunt start for Reading.

Birmingham 1-0 Reading. Fahey with the goal. If it stays like that he's just scored the goal to put them up into the Premiership.

NeilMcD
03/05/2009, 12:43 PM
Lets check out a thing called filmon.com. perfect reception of Sky Sports. .

NeilMcD
03/05/2009, 1:02 PM
Final day in the Championship today. Fahey, Carsley and Carr start for Birmingham. Long and S. Hunt start for Reading.

Birmingham 1-0 Reading. Fahey with the goal. If it stays like that he's just scored the goal to put them up into the Premiership.

YOu forgot Jay Tabb also.

NeilMcD
03/05/2009, 1:54 PM
St. Ledger just scored for Preston. They could be in the play offs ahead of Mc Phail's Cardiff. Burnley look comfortable to go to the play offs possibly to play Reading.

tetsujin1979
03/05/2009, 3:04 PM
Wolves and Birmingham promoted autmoatically
Sheffield United, Reading, Burnley and Preston into the play-offs, Cardiff miss out on goals scored

holidaysong
04/05/2009, 1:23 PM
YOu forgot Jay Tabb also.

I thought he was English. I see he has u-21 caps for us though. :)

Razors left peg
04/05/2009, 4:09 PM
I thought he was English. I see he has u-21 caps for us though. :)
he was in the senior squad at least once under Staunton too as far as I can remember

paul_oshea
04/05/2009, 4:49 PM
Lets check out a thing called filmon.com. perfect reception of Sky Sports. .

is that free?!

NeilMcD
04/05/2009, 6:26 PM
Yeah but Sky Sports seems to have drop out of their list today. Watched the Heineken Cup and The Reading Birmingham game on it yesterday and it was pefect for both. HD quality on my laptop

paul_oshea
04/05/2009, 8:43 PM
fair play neil. I noticed its not there my connection speed mustn't be good enough as its only letting me select medium quality which is good but not perfect

dr_peepee
05/05/2009, 7:40 AM
Wolves and Birmingham promoted autmoatically
Sheffield United, Reading, Burnley and Preston into the play-offs, Cardiff miss out on goals scored

Of the four in the playoffs I'd be happy for any of them to go up.... I do think though that Doyle and Hunt will be in the premiership next year regardless. Plus I reckon if Reading go up it will be another case of one step forward two steps back for Long. So for that reason alone, I hope Reading just miss out. The two lads move on anyway. And Long gets a 20 goal season as first choice in the Championship.

Stuttgart88
05/05/2009, 12:16 PM
It's probably between the Blades and Preston for me. I agree that Hunt & Doyle will probably get moves away and the Championship won't be a bad place for Long to spend a year as a first choice. Jay Tabb doesn't seem to have done enough since moving to Reading to suggest he could contend in the Premiership. Kelly would be more likely to feature in Championship. Will Mooney be recalled?

I think Stephen Quinn could do well next year but as JJOT is only on loan I'm not sure we should factor him into the equation. I doubt Paddy Kenny will ever play for us again yet he's hjad a great season again. No harm having a keeper play week in week out in the EPL though.

I think St. Ledger could be next season's "new player" for us - maybe a bit late for the international campaign - and I'd love to see Elliott play in the EPL again against the odds. Nolan, like JJOT, is only on loan so I'm not factoring him in.

Umberside
05/05/2009, 1:36 PM
I read in the Irish Examiner that John O'Flynn was a possible transfer target for Roy Keane & Ipswich as Barnet are looking to sell him. By next year he could be playing in the Premier League. The chances are that if he moves to Ipswich he will nearly always be on the bench but it would still be a huge step for him and another LOI player who "made it" in England.

dr_peepee
05/05/2009, 2:08 PM
Nolan, like JJOT, is only on loan so I'm not factoring him in.

Was that not confirmed as a full move after innitially going on loan????...

Umberside
05/05/2009, 2:15 PM
Was that not confirmed as a full move after innitially going on loan????...

Yeah he signed a three-year contract at Deepdale in January.

Stuttgart88
05/05/2009, 8:52 PM
OK, well then Preston for me probably.

the doc
06/05/2009, 5:20 PM
Preston NE 2 - 1 QPR

Sunday 3rd May 2009 - 15:00 (League)

Difficult to sum up the emotions that we are feeling right now, but the facts of the matter are that we are in the end of season lottery and in my opinion we are in with a more than even chance of making progress. It was a breathtaking afternoon at Deepdale, but one in which we fought very hard and which in the end saw Alan Irvine's Proud Preston make their way through to the play offs and deny the well fancied Cardiff City their place in the last four.

North End started the game very well and the confidence of the home supporters had seemed to be justified when Jon Parkin saw a loose goal kick from the QPR keeper put the home defence under pressure. Parkin stepped up to the mark and won the ball and then slotted a great shot across the six yard box and into the far corner of the net. Half time and it was Preston who were deservedly in the lead and were looking to Sheffield Wednesday or Bristol City to do them a favour.

North End came out a little more nervous in the second half and the visitors started to dictate the play. Anyone who thought QPR had come just to make the numbers up were sadly mistaken when ex North Ender Patrick Agyemang equalised for the visitors in the second half.There then followed a period of play in which both sides looked edgy.

Suddenly news came through through that Sheffield Wednesday had taken the lead against Cardiff. The atmosphere on the ground went up several octaves. North End were just a goal away from glory.

The Deepdale faithful started singing "we only need one goal" and sure enough it came when a long throw from Jon Parkin found the Preston talisman Sean St Ledger, and the hero of Deepdale headed home to put North End in the lead.

The last fifteen minutes were almost unbearable as we tried to stop the Rangers attack as well as keeping one eye out for the events at Hillsborough.

Incredibly we held on and the Owls did their bit in front of 35,000 at Hillsborough. Deepdale went beserk and North End had taken their place in the end of season shoot out to the delight of an 18,000+ crowd at Deepdale.

Goodness knows what will happen over next weekend but North End, and Alan Irvine in particular deserve a massive amount of credit as the Deepdale bandwagon rolls on to what might yet be a glorious finale.

Source: Preston Supporters Group