PDA

View Full Version : Shels Game

Lamper.sffc
14/04/2009, 10:25 AM
Cant wait for this one. Unbeaten against shels except for a silly game in a silly cup when they won on penalties.

Hopefully a good crowd and match.

Fingal Fan
15/04/2009, 6:28 PM
Im looking forward to the game but I dont expect it to be pretty . Unless we score early this could end up with Shels 10 men behind the ball looking for a 0-0 . However , I think we're just a better side than them and should win the game .

Lamper.sffc
15/04/2009, 7:23 PM
I hope they come to play, but like yourself I feel they will defend and look to snatch one on the break. We will have to be patient and play the ball about better than we have so far at home. Our small pitch may suite shels from a defensive point of view. Id say shels will be happy if they come away from this game with their 2 point gap still intact.

TheFingallian
17/04/2009, 5:27 PM
I think they are coming with attack in their minds following the game against Dundalk. Could be a high scoring game. Not too much wind and no rainfall during the match.

GalwayRed
17/04/2009, 11:05 PM
The game never really got going tonight. I thought we were unlucky to have Bistos goal chalked off. Might be wrong but from where I was I didnt see anything wrong in the build up. I expected more from Fingal to be honest. The goal was superb without a doubt a great bit of play but after that it was just a case of sitting back and running down the clock. We definitly didnt come looking for a draw but I think it probably wouldve been a fairer result. I thought Fingal edged the first half and missed a couple of great oppurtunities but I thought we were better in the second half. Overall neither team played great and Id expect us both to get better over the season. Shame about the result but fair play on the win.

Lamper.sffc
18/04/2009, 12:41 AM
First 15 to 20 minutes where fairly even although i do think we where the side trying to play football. As the first half wore on we started to pass the ball around quite nicely. The goal was pure class, great stuff from kirby (my man of the match) Another good finish from Zayed. We finished the half the better side. I had hoped we would go on in to finish the job in the second half but it never quite worked out that way. It seemed we where more worried about conceding the equalizer than going on to win the game by one or two more. This allowed shels back into the game. Yous had much more possesion and pressure on us in the second half without really creating much. We defended quite well. Yous did have that chance right at the end. Who was it that missed it? Couldnt make him out. All in all I think we deserved it. We always looked the more likely to score even in the second half while for the most part shels where happy to lump the ball forward and hope you fowards could get in behind us or pick a few bits and pieces. Shels never really looked like scoring.
Great result for us and UCD lost as well. Good night for fingal

Fair play to shels for the great away support. 1492 was the official attendance. Thats the most we have ever had at Morton.

GalwayRed
18/04/2009, 10:26 AM
I agree with you about Kirby, he had a great game and there were time where he just walked past our players. My man of the match too.
It was Paddy Madden who missed the chance at the end that youre reffering to I think. Shame, i wouldnt have wanted the ball to fall to any other player then Madden in that position either because hes quality.
Bistos goal never should have been disallowed, I have no idea what the ref saw in that decision but I hear hes apologised to Bisto since. Very frustrating when stuff like this happens.
Anyway, on to Athlone next and hopefully getting back to winning ways.

Lamper.sffc
18/04/2009, 12:07 PM
I agree with you about Kirby, he had a great game and there were time where he just walked past our players. My man of the match too.
It was Paddy Madden who missed the chance at the end that youre reffering to I think. Shame, i wouldnt have wanted the ball to fall to any other player then Madden in that position either because hes quality.
Bistos goal never should have been disallowed, I have no idea what the ref saw in that decision but I hear hes apologised to Bisto since. Very frustrating when stuff like this happens.
Anyway, on to Athlone next and hopefully getting back to winning ways.

Actually didnt see the disallowed goal. My mate was saying something to me when yous scored it. I heard the same thing about the ref apologising. These things happen im afraid. This league has a long way to go yet. Many more twists and turns.

Fingal Fan
18/04/2009, 2:02 PM
Great win but the game on the whole disapointing . I think we had the quality to go and win the game comforably but not the ambition . When you see Robbie Doyle back defending corners you know you've settled for the one .
Agree that the Shels goal looked legit but in the 2nd half all Shels could do was bang the ball long into the box and hope for a lucky break . That or a set piece was the only way they were going to score .
One other thing - for a game that I thought was played in a good spirit there was a huge amount of yellow cards . I counted 4 for Shels and 3 for us . Totally unnecessary and overfussy refereeing .
Great crowd on the night made for a good atmosphere but both teams better than they showed last nght .