PDA

View Full Version : Dinner Dance Rant- Feel free to crucify me.

L.T.F.C.
13/04/2009, 8:05 PM
hello.
I had the bad luck and misfortune to be at this happening last week because i cannot call it a dinner, a dance or otherwise. why was it at the start of the year? if it was at the of the season, the player of the season etc awards could have been given out. The whole night was just a cocktail of errors, one of which i have never seen before. The venue was probably the best and it was still mediocre! The soup that we were dished out was a disgrace. It was like all the sh!t that wasn't used during the day fuɔked into a bowl of tap water. the ham in the turkey and ham was like denny packet ham that you'd put into your sandwiches. the water at the table was like they scooped it from the swimming pool. The music was the worst heard since dot. there was no one dancing except for a few girls every once in a while. then during the night connellan gets up and rams these jerseys and pictures and footballs down our throats in an auction. after all the people that were there, these are the people that go out every week and pay their way into the games, get shafted on the night and then have to sit through an auction? the club should have given these long-time supporters a proper meal, a proper band and no auction. another thing, that got me the most. apart from all the crap throughout the night, the chairman, and all the board members or commitee members or whatever they're called didn't even bring their wives and/or girlfriends. i thought that was what was done at dinner dances.
how can every gaa club in the county have a successful dinner dance, where tickets cannot be got, but the LTFC cannot.

Longfordian
13/04/2009, 8:18 PM
It's been at the start of the year for the past three or four years. I was there and didn't see much wrong with the food but fair enough that's your opinion. The music, again fair enough but you know what you're getting, it's never been good. Nobody forced you into buying anything at the auction, it was a valuable fund raiser and those that did buy things did so because they wanted to help the club which was the whole purpose of the night, not entertainment. Why on earth did it matter to you if the committee members did or didn't bring their girlfriends or wives?!. That's a bizarre reason for criticism.

RonnieB
13/04/2009, 8:37 PM
Why shouldnt there be an auction? Crucify? Waste of nails tbh. Good nails to keep people over a certain mass hung from a cross cost a lot of money. No wire nails for that task I tells ya.

Tallanted
13/04/2009, 8:39 PM
another gaa fan lookin for a moan. Delete

L.T.F.C.
13/04/2009, 8:55 PM
It's been at the start of the year for the past three or four years. I was there and didn't see much wrong with the food but fair enough that's your opinion. The music, again fair enough but you know what you're getting, it's never been good. Nobody forced you into buying anything at the auction, it was a valuable fund raiser and those that did buy things did so because they wanted to help the club which was the whole purpose of the night, not entertainment. Why on earth did it matter to you if the committee members did or didn't bring their girlfriends or wives?!. That's a bizarre reason for criticism.

Why shouldnt there be an auction? Crucify? Waste of nails tbh. Good nails to keep people over a certain mass hung from a cross cost a lot of money. No wire nails for that task I tells ya.

another gaa fan lookin for a moan. Delete

c'mon man, i'm a student and i can cook better than that and believe me, i cannot cook. i was all for the auction but you seen the way he went around to every table, ramming each thing down everyones neck. and that picture that they had had nothing got to do with football.
what are you talking about Longfordian? not entertainment? why the attempt at music and all that course it was for entertainment. even less people would have went if the ticket said that the night was not meant to be entertaining.

gaa fan? thats a good never heard that one before! can't remember the last time i played gaelic or watched a match!

Tallanted
13/04/2009, 8:58 PM
c'mon man, i'm a student
Apologies it all makes sense now

Longfordian
13/04/2009, 9:07 PM
Well ok, the primary goal was not entertainment, it was a fundraiser. It's been the same venue with similar food and similar music for the past few years and nobody felt shortchanged given that until this year it was very well attended. There wasn't as much notice given this year either which didn't help numbers wise but 120 tickets were sold all the same. €30 isn't an awful lot either in fairness. The price of a few pints once a year isn't outrageous as a goodwill gesture even if you didn't really enjoy it. They auctioned off what they were donated, there were some very good items there in fairness and it was all going to the club.

Tallanted
13/04/2009, 9:17 PM
I believe kings of leon were lined up to play but due to other commitments couldn't be present. The O2 arena was also booked out that night so the slashers offered there club as a replacement.

L.T.F.C.
13/04/2009, 11:00 PM
Apologies it all makes sense now
what does that mean then?

L.T.F.C.
13/04/2009, 11:05 PM
Well ok, the primary goal was not entertainment, it was a fundraiser. It's been the same venue with similar food and similar music for the past few years and nobody felt shortchanged given that until this year it was very well attended. There wasn't as much notice given this year either which didn't help numbers wise but 120 tickets were sold all the same. €30 isn't an awful lot either in fairness. The price of a few pints once a year isn't outrageous as a goodwill gesture even if you didn't really enjoy it. They auctioned off what they were donated, there were some very good items there in fairness and it was all going to the club.
i'm not worried about the money, and i would have gladly paid more, but i did expect edible food, and proper music. like they played irelands call, a rugby song twice.
70 people were there. take last year for example. 170 people were there, paul mcgrath was the guest. that was the effort that was made. the U-16 had just won the league and i don't think that one player was at it. not one senior player was at it because they had a game. alan gough had to leave too. like it was a total shambles.

Longfordian
13/04/2009, 11:22 PM
Paul McGrath cost about €2,000 or something ridiculous last year. The music wasn't great but I'd imagine they did it for little or nothing. The same people did the food as last year and the previous years and I personally didn't notice anything wrong with it though I didn't have the turkey and ham admittedly. Alan Gough had a match in Waterford the next day in fairness he was doing well to be there at all. It could have been better organised alright. I only knew it was on when I got a text about it on the Tuesday or Wednesday and I'd imagine a few others were the same. I just don't see why it's such a big deal to be honest.

fitzpatrick10
14/04/2009, 12:32 AM
the whole so called dinner dance was really badly organised.why was it on the night before a match. its the longford town dinner dance and not one player was at it. also i think it would be better off having it at the end of the year.

i agree with L.T.F.C i also expected good food and good music.

a im sure im not the only one who wont be at it next year

Tallanted
14/04/2009, 6:34 AM
For 30euro im not sure what was expected, its been the same now for couple years, smae venue same band same food same people at it. It is to raise much needed funds for the game. Only difference was there wasnt a high profile special guest. Someone always finds somthin to give out about its quite borin having to listen to it. Alot of people are workin their asses off in the club at their own expense. Reading this forum they are probably wondering why they bother at all. The dinner dance could of been free entry and certain people would still not bother turnin up. Its about supportin the club in tough times, get over it.

Keen2win
14/04/2009, 10:40 AM
the whole so called dinner dance was really badly organised.why was it on the night before a match. its the longford town dinner dance and not one player was at it. also i think it would be better off having it at the end of the year.

i agree with L.T.F.C i also expected good food and good music.

a im sure im not the only one who wont be at it next year

Are you a student too, fitzpatrick10?
I wouldn't want to go to the school you went to, thats for sure!:D

Martinho II
15/04/2009, 12:44 PM
i hadnt really any problem with the dinner dance. I am not giving too much of a opinion on this but all I will say is that the auction was a bit of a laugh! and I got vip tickets for the ireland italy match in croke park and its for a good cause too!!

Tallanted
15/04/2009, 12:53 PM
an auction is an auction if you dont like what you see then you dont bid. No one was forced into biddin on anything.

howsyourtouch
16/04/2009, 4:52 AM
Are you a student too, fitzpatrick10?
I wouldn't want to go to the school you went to, thats for sure!:D

please dont lump all us students together...some of us have smarts...:p