View Full Version : Players retiring from International play after this campaign

Crosby87
11/04/2009, 11:45 PM
Don't mean to look past this current deal but was wondering, looking ahead to after the World Cup, who you guys think will stop playing for the team, be it for age or whatever.
Duff, Steven Reid, Robbie Keane, even Given could probably all be gone after this campaign. Finnan for sure, O'Shea probably has another if he feels like it, no? Kilbane is probably gone, and who else?
Assuming Doyle continues to progress, he will need some help. James McCarthy, Stokes, St. Ledger....so am I the only one who thinks after this the shelf is going to be somewhat barren?
I try to follow as closely as possible, even trying to watch the Newcastle game today to scout the Duffer (Ughh remember reading Beowulf in High School? Ughh. Awful, Boring, thats what the game reminded me of...) Surely I am not as up as some of you lads, but It seems we are going to lose pretty much the core of the team, due to them getting up there in age, and with little to replenish them, no? So am I to make sure I get to SA if God Willing they make it as Brazil will be even MORE difficult than this is?
Who's staying, who's replacing who goes, what do you guys say?

NeilMcD
12/04/2009, 12:07 AM
Are you crazy the only people retiring will be Kilbane and Finnan.

The Fly
12/04/2009, 12:18 AM
There's no way Given, Duff, Keane or Reid will retire from international duty after this campaign. Of those, only Given is in his thirties and I envisage him being our No.1 for at least the next four years. If Reid retires from the national side it would be due to his ongoing problems with injuries, which would be understandable.
As for Duff and Keane - only 'old age' will retire them.

Red&White Rover
12/04/2009, 12:23 AM
Don't mean to look past this current deal but was wondering, looking ahead to after the World Cup, who you guys think will stop playing for the team, be it for age or whatever.
Duff, Steven Reid, Robbie Keane, even Given could probably all be gone after this campaign. Finnan for sure, O'Shea probably has another if he feels like it, no? Kilbane is probably gone, and who else?
Assuming Doyle continues to progress, he will need some help. James McCarthy, Stokes, St. Ledger....so am I the only one who thinks after this the shelf is going to be somewhat barren?
I try to follow as closely as possible, even trying to watch the Newcastle game today to scout the Duffer (Ughh remember reading Beowulf in High School? Ughh. Awful, Boring, thats what the game reminded me of...) Surely I am not as up as some of you lads, but It seems we are going to lose pretty much the core of the team, due to them getting up there in age, and with little to replenish them, no? So am I to make sure I get to SA if God Willing they make it as Brazil will be even MORE difficult than this is?

Um.

I just don't know what to say to this.

Crosby87
12/04/2009, 2:04 AM
Are you serious? Im not off the bat here, I mean Keane went to Pool and didnt hang, Duffer never played a part at Chelsea, and now, I have to explain? Im talking FOUR YEARS FROM NOW!!! Come on Boss....

Crosby87
12/04/2009, 2:05 AM
Um.

Im just asking, who is here? you think everyone? Some disagree..........

livehead1
12/04/2009, 3:05 AM
Um.

One too many for me...I had a big essay written out in me head but i've forgot the lot. Be glad of the player's we have!

irishultra
12/04/2009, 4:03 AM
was playing football manager as germany and ireland qualifed for euro 2012. forget the exact ages but ill try to remember

this is how the squad would look providing there was no breakthroughs within next 3 years and then looking ahead to world cup.

(going a bit ot i know)

given-35(4 years on he would be 39 for 2016 world cup and while id say its 60/40 whether he'd be around not, it would be unheard off and really he should/will play at brazil 2014)

foley was 27, perfect age, if seamus coleman or another right back doesnt make right back their own he would be a grand age for 2014 world cup)

Richard Dunne(32-definetly should have two campaigns left in him, and probably will be around for longer although not starting)

O'Shea(31-same as above)

Steven Reid(31) Injuries probably will take a toll but lets hope not, although its inevitable.

Duff(33)- Quality replacement is needed and probably by 2012 he should be backup but anything could happen with duffer. Will need to re-evaluate his career if newcastle go down, really don't know where he'd end up tbh.

Glenn Whelan(28)- Good solid age and only 30 for 2014.

McGeady(26)- He should by my estimations be blossoming into a proper frank ribery style player by then, and then in his prime by world cup 2014 at 28.

Kevin Doyle(28)

Robbie Keane(31) Not retiring anytime soon.

Then some of the player who at the moment we know of but have potential:

Garvan(24)

McCarthy(21)

McCann(24)

Coleman(23)

The Fly
12/04/2009, 4:48 AM
Are you serious? Im not off the bat here, I mean Keane went to Pool and didnt hang, Duffer never played a part at Chelsea, and now, I have to explain? Im talking FOUR YEARS FROM NOW!!! Come on Boss....

Errr..........no, the period you were originally speculating about was that coming after this World Cup campaign. The tournament takes place in the summer of 2010 - that's less than sixteen months away, not four years.
The reason Keane did not succeed at Liverpool was not because of a lack of ability but in the main as a result of the internal 'politics' at Anfield.
Duff did play a part at Chelsea and a significant one at that. He is not the player he was, but in relation to the national side - he is still an important player.

Razors left peg
12/04/2009, 11:38 AM
I could possibly see Steven Reid retiring from international football very soon because of his injuries.It wouldnt be a total shock to me if he didnt play for us again. I really hope not but with his history of injuries his club might put a bit of pressure on him to do it

richieos
12/04/2009, 3:48 PM
i cant really see the likes of keane, duff, dunne, given, o'shea retiring from international football, not any time soon anyway. i reckon as long as they have legs theyl be available for selection, it'll probably just be a case of their careers winding down ala cunningham

irishfan86
13/04/2009, 1:46 AM
Whats this coleman being a future international business. He's not even making the everton reserves.

He just moved over recently- give the lad a break!

As for the thread- I don't even know where to start.

Pundits are unanimous in their condemnation of Robbie's treatment at Liverpool, and based on Robbie's performance since his return to Spurs you can't really argue with that viewpoint.

As for Duff, he was one of Chelsea's best players during Ranieri's tenure, and was perhaps THE star of Mourinho's first Premiership winning season.

Ciaran is right- only Kiely, Kilbane, and Finnan are serious contenders for retirement following this campaign, and as mentioned, Stephen Reid is a possible due to his injury problems.

I get the feeling though that Stephen Reid is proud to play for Ireland, and will want to play for us to "make up for lost time."

His interview from a couple of weeks ago, about using the World Cup as motivation for his recovery tells me all I need to know about his commitment to the cause and his love for playing for Ireland.

eirebhoy
13/04/2009, 2:13 PM
Whats this coleman being a future international business. He's not even making the everton reserves.
Yes he is.

Stuttgart88
13/04/2009, 2:33 PM
I think Ciaran's "he played in the LOI so he can't possibly be any good" thinking has reared its head again here.

I've an open mind having only seen Coleman on TV once, last month against Spain's U21s. He was superb. He certainly looks a prospect

richieos
13/04/2009, 3:04 PM

how can you rule him out of being a future international? did you think keith andrews would be an international this time last year?

Razors left peg
13/04/2009, 4:37 PM
If I had my way Keith Andrews wouldn't be an international, period.

and neither would Glenn Whelan, and yet both managed to do alright against Pirlo and Di Rossi when u said they would have a hope in hell
so u might forgive me if I dont pay any attention to ur opinion of any players

richieos
13/04/2009, 5:17 PM
If I had my way Keith Andrews wouldn't be an international, period.

lucky your not the manager then isn't it!

as_i_say
14/04/2009, 10:17 AM
and neither would Glenn Whelan, and yet both managed to do alright against Pirlo and Di Rossi when u said they would have a hope in hell
so u might forgive me if I dont pay any attention to ur opinion of any players

All credit to the Italians for having only 10 men for 80 minutes. Otherwise....

Razors left peg
14/04/2009, 3:25 PM
All credit to the Italians for having only 10 men for 80 minutes. Otherwise....

we still had to match their midfield

Stuttgart88
15/04/2009, 7:14 AM
Would you have been happier if we'd lost Ciaran? It feels that way from here.

In the 10 minutes Italy "were allowed to play" we weren't playing a totally defensive game. We made a mistake, two probably, in conceding Italy's goal.

Credit where it's due for ultimately breaking down one of the most competent defensive teams going. We nearly did it again a minute later. Buffon made a great save in the first half and Andrews had a decent chance to shoot which he fluffed. It's not as black & white as you think.

Manblue
19/04/2009, 9:33 AM

Hate to break it too ye boys but the man is right.

Dunne is already starting to look jaded, any bit of pace he had is gone and the number of mistakes hes mking is increasing dramatically (if that was even possible)
Duffer is crocked and will be lucky to be playing in two years time (compare him to giggs who is much older and in alot better condition)
Keane will retire after WC provided he scores 2/3 more goals,
Reid cant play now and will be lucky to recover from injury,
Finnan is well washed up,
given i suspect will be there as will o shea

The majority mentioned above arent performing NOW and ye want them in 2 year....this is the future of irish football for ye....quite barren indeed

irishfan86
19/04/2009, 10:12 AM
I'm glad to say with Ireland it is more a case of "your team retires you" and not the other way around.

In recent years, it has only been fringe players who have retired. Okay, Andy O'Brien, Stephen Carr, Dean Kiely, Carsley and Finnan are useful, but not essential at this stage.

As long as Dunne, Given, Keane, O'Shea and Duff are starting for us, I think they'll stick around.

If they drop to the bench I can see them leaving if they feel they're not being appreciated or are embarrassed about a reduced role, but I feel these players will stick around for the Euros.

Stephen Reid is one player who I think we would all forgive if he decided to retire from the national team as the man just can't stay healthy; however, I think he is a popular player, and a key player for us when available, and I certainly don't hope for this outcome.

SilkCut
20/04/2009, 8:59 AM
Duffer never played a part at Chelsea,....

How do people get away with saying stuff like this???? Duff played 81 games in under 3 seasons at Chelsea, bearing in mind he missed most of his first and last season through injury and had Arjen Robben for competition this would suggest he played quite a significant part at Chelsea. Do you not remember how well they played with Robben, Duff and Drogba?? Pundits were wetting themselves at their perfomances, then Duff went and got broken again!!! He scored 10 goals that season including the winner in the league cup final.