PDA

View Full Version : Longford's worst starting 11

Town Legend
11/04/2009, 12:18 AM
On a thread on the main page about your clubs worst signing. Just thought I'd stick a thread up here on what would be Longford's worst ever starting 11!!! It'd be easy to pick the best starting 11 so this might give yous a few selection headaches with the amount of lack of talent we used to field!!! Can include a few match day subs too if you want!!!!

Here's mine:

GK- Kevin McCormack
RB- Eric Saul
LB- Sean Kelly
CB- Sean Riordan
CB- Ronnie Murphy
RM- Ian Wexler
LM- Damien Gannon
CM- Dave Elebert
CM- Alan Reynolds
ST- Paul Newe
ST- David Lee

Subs:
GK- Barry Malone
DF- Chris Malone (former Blackburn Rovers)
MD- Stefan Buttner
ST- Dean Barrett

Now I'm sure I left out a good few others but their just the ones to spring to mind at the minute!!!:p

Tallanted
11/04/2009, 10:38 AM
alan reynolds?? Love him or hate him he wouldnt come near been in our worst 11

Martinho II
11/04/2009, 4:37 PM
On a thread on the main page about your clubs worst signing. Just thought I'd stick a thread up here on what would be Longford's worst ever starting 11!!! It'd be easy to pick the best starting 11 so this might give yous a few selection headaches with the amount of lack of talent we used to field!!! Can include a few match day subs too if you want!!!!

Here's mine:

GK- Kevin McCormack
RB- Eric Saul
LB- Sean Kelly
CB- Sean Riordan
CB- Ronnie Murphy
RM- Ian Wexler
LM- Damien Gannon
CM- Dave Elebert
CM- Alan Reynolds
ST- Paul Newe
ST- David Lee

Subs:
GK- Barry Malone
DF- Chris Malone (former Blackburn Rovers)
MD- Stefan Buttner
ST- Dean Barrett

Now I'm sure I left out a good few others but their just the ones to spring to mind at the minute!!!:p

damien gannon and dave elebert who did they play for when they were with us? damien gannon i assume was at waterford as well? Chris Malone played with us I remember under Mickey O'Connor.. Theres a few names from the past that you tend to forget.I would put robbie farrell in the first team too.

Iorfa2MaccaJim
12/04/2009, 5:28 PM
Martinho II Wrote : damien gannon i assume was at waterford as well?

Are you getting mixed up with Karl Gannon Martinho ?

Flea
13/04/2009, 1:41 PM
sean riordan and alan reynolds -> worst eleven, I don't think so. There are so many other players, like Savic, Darby, James Farrell, Cronin, and 80% of the current squad haha

Ash
13/04/2009, 1:50 PM
What about Eric Smyth? How was he wit ye? He was shocking with us!

On an unrelated note, is Chucky still on yer books?

Flea
13/04/2009, 1:53 PM
eric molloy was worst than eric smyth!

Longfordian
13/04/2009, 1:59 PM
Eric Molloy for a fella who played with United was shocking. Eric Smith wasn't too bad until he left in a hurry, there were various rumours as to why that was, none of them reflected well on him. No Chucky's not with us this year, don't know what he's up to.

Martinho II
13/04/2009, 6:24 PM
Martinho II Wrote : damien gannon i assume was at waterford as well?

Are you getting mixed up with Karl Gannon Martinho ?

yep maccajim believe you are right there!!:confused:

Ash
13/04/2009, 6:42 PM
Eric Smith wasn't too bad until he left in a hurry, there were various rumours as to why that was, none of them reflected well on him.

What was the story there?

Longfordian
13/04/2009, 7:14 PM
Just rumours about his personal life and what he may or may not have got up to in Longford and with Longford people. Can't really go into too much more detail as I have no idea how true the stories are. He just didn't turn up for training one week and never contacted anyone again. Last heard of playing Leinster Senior League I believe

L.T.F.C.
13/04/2009, 7:42 PM
Paul Keegan, dave freeman, wrexlar, dean barrett,

Town Legend
14/04/2009, 8:26 PM
sean riordan and alan reynolds -> worst eleven, I don't think so. There are so many other players, like Savic, Darby, James Farrell, Cronin, and 80% of the current squad haha

Thats the reason I'm asking for other peoples imput!!! As Marty says you forget about a lot of players from down the years. Riordan from what I remember never really excelled so thats why I put him in because of those reasons and also because I could'nt remember any of our other bad centre halves. As for Reynolds he jumped ship after a year, nearly got us relegated up in Finn Park because of his stupidity and also because he's lets just say not a nice person!!!;)

Elebert played centre midfield I think in O'Connors first year and Damien Gannon was from Athlone. He also played when O'Connor was manager. Scored I think against Wayside in the 2nd replay but thst about all he did!!!

Town Legend
14/04/2009, 8:27 PM
Oh and the Chris Malone I selected was the former Blackburn Rovers player who played a couple of games in Kenny's first year but yeah there is also the former Athlone Town Chris Malone!!!:p

Martinho II
15/04/2009, 12:42 PM
Oh and the Chris Malone I selected was the former Blackburn Rovers player who played a couple of games in Kenny's first year but yeah there is also the former Athlone Town Chris Malone!!!:p

the chris malone you mentioned is that not the same person?? after chris malone left us he went to athlone town!!!:)

Town Legend
15/04/2009, 7:34 PM
the chris malone you mentioned is that not the same person?? after chris malone left us he went to athlone town!!!:)

No he's a different Chris Malone!! After Mickey O'Connor left all that squad was released when Kenny came in. Kenny signed this other Chris Malone who was released by Blackburn. He played right back just as his 'Twin'!!! He only lasted a few games before been released or left on his own accord. He was at Blackburn the same time Shay Given was there cos I have a picture of that seasons Blackburn team which my sis bought for me for Christmas thinking I supported them which I didn't!!!! So that was a great present!!!:rolleyes:

howsyourtouch
16/04/2009, 4:44 AM
jelly keenan...says it all really

Tallanted
16/04/2009, 9:06 AM
the 11 that started the clash of the fans worth a mention too!

Martinho II
16/04/2009, 10:07 AM
No he's a different Chris Malone!! After Mickey O'Connor left all that squad was released when Kenny came in. Kenny signed this other Chris Malone who was released by Blackburn. He played right back just as his 'Twin'!!! He only lasted a few games before been released or left on his own accord. He was at Blackburn the same time Shay Given was there cos I have a picture of that seasons Blackburn team which my sis bought for me for Christmas thinking I supported them which I didn't!!!! So that was a great present!!!:rolleyes:

so the other chris malone ( of athlone town) played the season before around 96-97 season is that right town legend??

Town Legend
16/04/2009, 4:29 PM
Yeah he stayed for 2 seasons I think while O'Connor was in charge whereas the other lad did a Niall Byrne - came back from England thinking he'd be a star, did nothing and left after a couple of games.

Flea
22/04/2009, 9:20 AM
the 11 that started the clash of the fans worth a mention too!

what was the clash of the fans?

Martinho II
22/04/2009, 12:52 PM
longford town fc supporters v athlone town supporters flea!:D

atfconline
22/04/2009, 1:06 PM
longford town fc supporters v athlone town supporters flea!:D

A 7 - 0 humiliation you mean! :D

Martinho II
22/04/2009, 1:25 PM
A 7 - 0 humiliation you mean! :D

for ye atfconline not us:D

Massop 10
22/04/2009, 2:01 PM
We'll turn that result around next time !!! Don't worry :)

Martinho II
22/04/2009, 2:22 PM
We'll turn that result around next time !!! Don't worry :)

massop10 is playin a lot more football these days with longford celtic...watch out atfc!
:D

Salmon Coloured
22/04/2009, 4:13 PM
Hopefully ill get to play this next time too. I can bring organisation to our system & also will be a frontrunner for player to most likely smell of his own wee.