PDA

View Full Version : Your club's worst signing?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

brianw82
10/04/2009, 11:12 AM
Who's the worst player that you've seen your club sign? I'm talking about a real disappointment here. Someone your team's manager waxed lyrical about, yet could hardly pull off a 5-yard pass.

holidaysong
10/04/2009, 11:21 AM
Keith Dunne.

eelmonster
10/04/2009, 11:23 AM
Keith Dunne.

No worse than Elden de Getrouwe. We've had some stinkers.

Red&White Rover
10/04/2009, 11:27 AM
Who's the worst player that you've seen your club sign? I'm talking about a real disappointment here. Someone your team's manager waxed lyrical about, yet could hardly pull off a 5-yard pass.

Well for that bit alone, It must "Nigerian U-21 Striker, We're just keeping him warm for Celtic" Choice Aisien..

sligofan4ever
10/04/2009, 11:32 AM
Well for that bit alone, It must "Nigerian U-21 Striker, We're just keeping him warm for Celtic" Choice Aisien..

He was a disaster, but he stilled scored a quality goal against Drogheda the season he was here :D.

Our worst would have to be someone Rob McDonald brought in, Kevin Julian maybe ?

pineapple stu
10/04/2009, 11:37 AM
Paul Doolin. Good when he played, but he was reponsible for so many bad signings that it seems only fair to sum them all up into him.

As a random example, I think Greg O'Dowd has a league winner's medal. I have no idea how.

Dodge
10/04/2009, 11:39 AM
Joe O'Cearuill

Irish international 7/8 months before we signed him. Ended up playing about 15 games last season de to various injuries as after 2/3 weeks it was obvious he wasn't first choice material. he did have one great game in Elfsborg though (at right back)

Michael Keane is up there too, and Gary McPhee might get a look in too as Eamon Collins raved so hard about him

Rovers1
10/04/2009, 11:50 AM
Joe O'Cearuill

Saw him a few times last season, thought he was very over-rated.

For me, theres only one Darren Jack..:(

Ash
10/04/2009, 12:04 PM
From a good few seasons ago ...
Glen Fitzpatrick, Alan McNevin & Shane Harte spring to mind ... pure muck on the pitch but I was often assured that they were class in training :o

More recently...
The wonderfully goal-shy star striker ... Paul McTiernan

Battery Rover
10/04/2009, 12:09 PM
From a good few seasons ago ...
Glen Fitzpatrick, Alan McNevin & Shane Harte spring to mind ... pure muck on the pitch but I was often assured that they were class in training :o

More recently...
The wonderfully goal-shy star striker ... Paul McTiernan

Can we add to that Darren Young, Colm Heffernan, the headless winger Gavin Doyle

pineapple stu
10/04/2009, 12:09 PM
From a good few seasons ago ...Alan McNevin
Really? Got back to playing CM01/02 when it was made available as a free download; McNevin's quality in that. So's David Ward though, among others.

Rovers1
10/04/2009, 12:10 PM
more recently...
The wonderfully goal-shy star striker ... Paul mctiernan

blasphemy!!

holidaysong
10/04/2009, 12:12 PM
So's David Ward though, among others.

He really is. Irish caps and everything. :eek:

brianw82
10/04/2009, 12:12 PM
blasphemy!!

I'm sure he scores a few in training. :D

srfc1928
10/04/2009, 12:15 PM
Weve signed a lot of bad players as has every club but the
Worst signing in recent years was Paul Brown,
because we actually paid a transfer fee for him.
He was absolutely rubbish.
Sean Connor was raving about him for months beforehand.

LeixlipRed
10/04/2009, 12:18 PM
Too many to mention but a relevant and recent one was Kyle Moran. Absolute muck and he get's a game for Pats now :eek:

Longfordian
10/04/2009, 12:19 PM
God, I don't know where to start. Sinisa Savic would have to be up there. Looked class in a trial game, we signed him on pretty big money and he was absolutely useless. Memorably spent one game in Tolka snogging the face off his girlfriend all game at the back of the stand. He also wanted crowds to be photoshopped into pictures of him in action for the Under 21s so he could put them on his official website.

Mr A
10/04/2009, 12:29 PM
Gary Beckett. Sums up last season- overpaid, injured 90% of the time and dung the rest.

fionnsci
10/04/2009, 12:30 PM
Not a Drogheda fan but the Senagalese striker they had last year was a disappointment.

Sheridan
10/04/2009, 12:30 PM
Pierre Ennis. God, he was shocking. As was Effin' Ekoku, but at least he had the excuse of being eight million years old.

Sheridan
10/04/2009, 12:33 PM
Not a Drogheda fan but the Senagalese striker they had last year was a disappointment.
Thiam got a lot of stick because he was awkward-looking and foreign, but after he slow start he showed what he was capable of. With a decent run of games I reckon he could have taken the league by storm.

LeixlipRed
10/04/2009, 12:33 PM
Pierre Ennis. God, he was shocking..

Ah Pierre, know him well. Played against him many, many times. An absolute **** of the highest order so was fantastic when he impressed in his stint at Dublin City :)

SwanVsDalton
10/04/2009, 12:38 PM
Where to start? So many...the Fenlon period alone had half a dozen clunkers. Jamie Hughes, Lee Molyneaux, Craig Taggart, Michael McHugh, Robbie Hedderman, Luther Blissett jees there's loads.

But the overall winner has to be John Paul McBride. Nightmare from start to finish, couldn't kick a ball and didn't want to try.

Weatherman
10/04/2009, 12:39 PM
Glen brien springs to mind along with gary smyth!! gary smyth actually tripped himself up one time when one on one with a keeper!!

GlasnevinRed
10/04/2009, 12:44 PM
Liam Kearney was shocking for us aswell. And James Keddy last year.

Celdrog
10/04/2009, 1:00 PM
Paul Doolin.:rolleyes:Predictable at least:D

I say our worst was Stuey Byrne due to his dressing room antics. Completely destabilised the team.

Mind you Pedro da Lima in the early 70s purely for on field hype.
Or Peter Barnes in the 80s. At least his kit never got dirty as he did bugger all

Mr Maroon
10/04/2009, 1:01 PM
Jesper Jorgensen, Mark Leech, Dimitri Brinias... there's been a few!

pineapple stu
10/04/2009, 1:04 PM
Predictable at least
But youz've seen the light now at least. ;)

Mark Leech, Dimitri Brinias... there's been a few!
Makes me laugh when I think of the reaction I got at the time when I told yez they'd be rubbish. :)

KR's Post
10/04/2009, 1:13 PM
Glen brien springs to mind along with gary smyth!! gary smyth actually tripped himself up one time when one on one with a keeper!!

Spot on chap. Glen Brien, worst ever!

Poor Student
10/04/2009, 1:16 PM
For me it was Paul Whitmarsh, a plus thirty year old English striker, signed by Pete Mahon from the LSL from Belgrove I think. He scored a winner on his debut against Shamorck Rovers in the League Cup but at all other times he was just so off the pace of the LOI Premier Division. He just wasn't up to the standard. He quickly faded back into the obscurity from whence he came.

Krstic
10/04/2009, 1:16 PM
Where to start? So many...the Fenlon period alone had half a dozen clunkers. Jamie Hughes, Lee Molyneaux, Craig Taggart, Michael McHugh, Robbie Hedderman, Luther Blissett jees there's loads.

But the overall winner has to be John Paul McBride. Nightmare from start to finish, couldn't kick a ball and didn't want to try.

That's because he broke his leg during his one and only trial game did he not?

ramblersnb1
10/04/2009, 1:17 PM
Bryan McCarthy times two

we signed the first from Cork City the season we got promoted was supposedly lethal in training yet couldn't finish a light brunch never mind a dinner during games and then last season the centre back from Bohs who had supposedly interested Portsmouth ya right was afraid of his life of a high ball.

Dodge
10/04/2009, 1:24 PM
:rolleyes:Predictable at least:D

I say our worst was Stuey Byrne due to his dressing room antics. Completely destabilised the team.

In all fairness he was terrific in your league winning side. Also some here are just mentioning crap players, rather than players that came with a bit of hype and turned out to be crap

Kildare Lad
10/04/2009, 1:29 PM
For us it could be Gareth Christie, came over from Celtic with a few underage caps and turned out to be completely useless and overweight. Scored a cracker of a free kick once but that was about the only thing he done worth mentioning.

mrtndvn
10/04/2009, 1:33 PM
Anyone of Pat Fenlons signings could win it for Derry. A real genius in the transfer market that guy.

PartySaint
10/04/2009, 1:34 PM
Michael Keane is up there too,

In fairness dodge keane wasnt a bad player he just never lost the weight, pity really he had potential

Dodge
Anyone of Pat Fenlons signings could win it for Derry. A real genius in the transfer market that guy.

yeah, probably only has 3/4 league titles as a manager now

JC_GUFC
Hard to know if he was any good or not but we were waiting months for Llewellyn Riley, the captain of Barbados to join.

I think he'd been signed in the summer but his first game was in Turner's Cross in October.

It was ****ing with rain and freezing cold. He pretty much stood it the same spot for the whole game and was taken off after an hour and never played again claiming he was homesick!

Ger Crossley - ex Celtic and had been called up to the Irish squad was also a disaster.

osarusan
10/04/2009, 1:37 PM
Kenny Clements (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenny_Clements) - came over as a player-manager.....got settled in Limerick and everything....but was on his way back home very soon afterwards.

mrtndvn
10/04/2009, 1:42 PM
yeah, probably only has 3/4 league titles as a manager now

Ya and pretty soon it will be 3/4 clubs that he's ruined as well!

MariborKev
10/04/2009, 1:43 PM
Too many to mention but a relevant and recent one was Kyle Moran. Absolute muck and he get's a game for Pats now :eek:

Pure pedantry here, but it was actually us that signed him.

We then merely loaned him to you lot, whilst still paying his wages. Thanks Pat:rolleyes:

Alan Moore- £100k contract, played three games.

Rovers Maniac
10/04/2009, 1:43 PM
We had some real shockers over the years including some loacal lads but the worst i have seen is Kevin Jullian. He was not even a footballer, i seen him being eaten alive in training sessions by Jason McCartney who could not get near the Monaghan team. As soon as the window opened Cook had him out the door, and went to other club, all very bizarre his first and last football club.

MariborKev
10/04/2009, 1:47 PM
That's because he broke his leg during his one and only trial game did he not?

Naw,

JP signed and all from Aarhus. I mind him scoring a penalty away to Pats, we ended up losing 4-1.

I remember us signing a fella Sheppard in the 00/01 season. Absolutely brock.

Tony Boyle's(Donegal GAA star) brother, James. I only remember how bad he was as a wayward shot from 20 yards in the Showgrounds managed to knock me over(thereby losing the bags of chips I was carrying).

This thread has the potential to be a classic.

Blue Bear
10/04/2009, 1:57 PM
Mc Cartney wasn't too bad for us, although after the injury against Dundalk, he hasn't done much in general. Ian Mc Clusky has to be our worst ever player, signed from Shels, haven't a clue where he is now.....

sligofan4ever
10/04/2009, 2:07 PM
I never seen James Merdith play for us, appearently he signed a professional contract with Derby County in 2005 but joined us in 2007, heard he wasn't good enough for us. Doe's anyone who seen him play for us think he was a bad player or someone who just wouldn't have made it here ?

CuanaD
10/04/2009, 2:10 PM
God, I don't know where to start. Sinisa Savic would have to be up there. Looked class in a trial game, we signed him on pretty big money and he was absolutely useless. Memorably spent one game in Tolka snogging the face off his girlfriend all game at the back of the stand. He also wanted crowds to be photoshopped into pictures of him in action for the Under 21s so he could put them on his official website.Just to clear this up-
was it you or him was snogging his girlfriend?
;)

Rovers fan
10/04/2009, 2:11 PM
Really? Got back to playing CM01/02 when it was made available as a free download; McNevin's quality in that. So's David Ward though, among others.

Yeah he's unreal in 00/01 aswell

joeSoap
10/04/2009, 2:13 PM
Jamie Nolan, followed by Danny Drew, followed by Anton Mannering

Mr A
10/04/2009, 2:52 PM
James Mulligan. Apparently he was the business at Harps but was a disaster for us. One of the most fustrating players ever seen at the cross

He started very slowly for Harps as well but ended up being very good.

I remember us playing away to UCD and I was F-ing and blinding about spending so much on a striker who couldn't score.

It was only towards the end of the game that someone tapped me on the shoulder and pointed out that I was about 2 yards away from his father and a couple of brothers.

Far from being embarrassed I maintain that this constructive criticism was vital in his return to form and eventual success at Harps. :)

gspain
10/04/2009, 3:00 PM
Kenny Clements (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenny_Clements) - came over as a player-manager.....got settled in Limerick and everything....but was on his way back home very soon afterwards.

Yah with a big payoff. Clearly not cutout for management.

We also got a centre forward from Man Utd (well their reserves) - John McDermott in 1979. He played a few goals, couldn't hit a barn door from 10 feet and disappeared into obscurity.

You could give a mention to Billy Hamilton too. He was a great player and decent manager however he just pipped another former NI International to the post in 1986 - Martin O'Neill. We had some really good players then and O'Neill could well have won the league or at least a cup for us. I'm sure Martin often looks back thinking what he could have achieved if only he'd done a better interview with Pat Grace. :D