PDA

View Full Version : Out-dated licensing laws

Ringo
09/04/2009, 1:57 PM
Its holy Thursday & i've been to the off licence twice & still feel like i won't have enough drink.:o. its really time the law was changed.

soccerc
09/04/2009, 1:59 PM
Its holy Thursday & i've been to the off licence twice & still feel like i won't have enough drink.:o. its really time the law was changed.

No, then Good Friday would be like any other day. It's the challenge to get all the beer in the world into the gaff when in reality you only drink a half of it but you buy it just in case!!!!

bennocelt
09/04/2009, 2:11 PM
does anyone know if the bars in the train station/airport are open?

doesn't matter anyway - can always get beers in China Town in Parnell Street;)

First
09/04/2009, 2:29 PM
Lads , out of curiosity would people have a drink everyday and would it be much of an ordeal to go one day without a drink.

superfrank
09/04/2009, 2:34 PM
Lads , out of curiosity would people have a drink everyday and would it be much of an ordeal to go one day without a drink.
I used to be in that camp but the fact is why shouldn't you be allowed to buy drink for one day of the year?

What's so special about that one day that means you can't do something that 364 days of the year is legal, i.e. buy alcohol.

It's not about being a drink-obsessed country, it's about having the right to buy drink.

Sheridan
09/04/2009, 2:34 PM
I think it's an absolutely pathetic reflection of Irish society that one alcohol-free day per year leaves the populace licking the drains of the local boozer in case someone emptied slops down them.

Mr A
09/04/2009, 2:35 PM
It's the principle of the thing. Some c**t in a dress who spouts nonsense for a living shouldn't be able to dictate when we can have a drink.

Sheridan
09/04/2009, 2:40 PM
Like hell it is, it's an alcohol dependency thing for 90% of the people who complain about it.

NeilMcD
09/04/2009, 2:41 PM
I think the fact its a Friday and lots of people are off too makes it worse. If it was a Tuesday and you had to work, it would not make a difference.

anto1208
09/04/2009, 2:48 PM
This is the 3rd thread on this good friday thing !! Pubs are shut for 1 day get over it there is more to life than going to a pub.

No one is complaining about the 4 day weekend we get because of a religous holiday ye are all quite happy to sit back and take the days off no moaning about the churches influence there !!!. If you feel that strongly about it go to work friday and monday in protest.

Macy
09/04/2009, 2:48 PM
Actually, Fridays are usually the only day I do drink. No fascist* is going to tell me when I can or can't drink, so if the weather is nice we'll be having a BBQ (burgers, sausages etc) with the the family who are all off work too. If not we'll be in one of the houses.

There should be no licencing laws at all - it should be up to the pub or off licence to decide when they want to open.

*Ok, ok, they're not fascist, they just dress in black and tell people what to do.

No one is complaining about the 4 day weekend we get because of a religous holiday ye are all quite happy to take that yet ye freak out because the pubs are shut saying the church shouldnt have that kind of influence if you feel that strongly about it go to work friday and monday in protest.
Actually easter is a pagan festival, hijacked by Christians. I like to celibrate the spring equinox with beer and meat. Think of that when you tuck into your easter egg (both them and easter bunnies are pagan traditions).

Mr A
09/04/2009, 2:50 PM
A lot of people don't get a four day weekend and will only be off on Monday for the bank holiday.

passinginterest
09/04/2009, 3:03 PM
Some of us get a 5 day weekend. :D

It should be promoted as national no alcohol day (I was going to say alcohol free day but that might give the wrong impression), that way people can't complain about the religious aspect. Personally I think it's appaling that people have such a problem not drinking for one day, that said I don't believe in denying them the right to buy alcohol either. If anything the way it is at the moment encourages binge drinking, the off licences would be devastated if it was abolished seeing as the Thursday is their second busiest day of the year.

bennocelt
09/04/2009, 3:11 PM
for me its just a case of going to one of the football matches - i do like to have a few beers before a game to get into the spirit of it all:)

Ringo
09/04/2009, 4:22 PM
I think it's an absolutely pathetic reflection of Irish society that one alcohol-free day per year leaves the populace licking the drains of the local boozer in case someone emptied slops down them.

You don't drink all week & look forward to a few at the weekend. I'm working tomoorrow. I might drink , i might not, but i'd like to have the choice.

First
09/04/2009, 7:17 PM
It's the principle of the thing. Some c**t in a dress who spouts nonsense for a living shouldn't be able to dictate when we can have a drink.

I don't see how it's the housewives fault

rebelarmyexile
13/04/2009, 8:07 PM
Is it that difficult to give up 2 days a year? It is a sign of respect, and as a Christian nation, it is justified.

John83
13/04/2009, 8:33 PM
Is it that difficult to give up 2 days a year? It is a sign of respect, and as a Christian nation, it is justified.
Why is it imposed on non-Christians? Practising Catholics are hardly an overwhelming majority any more. Perhaps restaurants shouldn't be allowed sell meat on Good Friday either?

pineapple stu
14/04/2009, 8:57 AM
Is it that difficult to give up 2 days a year?
It's not necessarily about drinking. I wouldn't particularly mind if pubs were open and didn't serve drink. Like it or not, pubs are a focal point of Irish social life; closing them means closing social life for a day.

I got into town for the Shels game on Friday at a bit after 6; kick off was 8. I would normally head into a pub for a bite to eat and to have a meeting point with the others heading in. Probably a pint too, but I could manage without that. Instead, I found myself wandering aimlessly around for an hour before heading into the game 45 minutes before kick off. Afterwards, I headed straight home, when I'd usually head into the pub to discuss the match with friends. That's my main gripe with the ruling.

Those who use pubs solely as a place to get p!ssed go out and cause the Thursday to be the busiest day of the year, and it has no effect on them. Those who use pubs as once a week social venues are being told to go home early to bed, there's a good boy. People who come out with the "can we not as a nation manage one day without getting hammered" are missing the point.

Dodge
14/04/2009, 9:14 AM
As a general trend, licensing laws have got more draconian so its unlikely to be opened up. As Macy pointed out I'd like to see the laws completely opened up so that pubs and clubs could shut when they wanted and off licenses could sell when they wanted. For a country as dependent on tourism as ourselves, we need to cater to as many people as possible.

Oh and I really only have a drink around LOI football, so this isn't my crusade to be allowed drink all day...

Lionel Ritchie
14/04/2009, 9:45 AM
It should be promoted as national no alcohol day (I was going to say alcohol free day but that might give the wrong impression), that way people can't complain about the religious aspect. Personally I think it's appaling that people have such a problem not drinking for one day, that said I don't believe in denying them the right to buy alcohol either. ...There is some merit in this. It also permits the basic right to opt out that people do with national no smoking day and the blind ignorant indifference that's shown to car free day.

If anything the way it is at the moment encourages binge drinking, the off licences would be devastated if it was abolished seeing as the Thursday is their second busiest day of the year. no small amount of truth here too.

Is it that difficult to give up 2 days a year? It is a sign of respect, and as a Christian nation, it is justified. We're not a Christian nation. We're a nation with a large block of Christians living in it ...many of them a la carte or non-practicing.

But either way this is no more a christian nation for having lots of christians than it is a cow nation for having lots of cows.

dahamsta
14/04/2009, 11:54 AM
While the Christian stuff is a valid point, it's a different debate. Move it to a new thread if you want to discuss it outside the specific context of this thread please.

jebus
15/04/2009, 1:50 AM
Licensing laws in this country need to be completely overhauled.

I'd be in favour of leaving clubs, pubs and off licenses close whenever they want but surely even those absolute failures of human beings in government can see that something simple like pubs at 11 on a weekday is a disaster as this leads people to go on to a nightclub and stay drinking til 2 when by simply allowing them to have another pint or two in a pub would probably have satisfied them.

And shutting clubs at 2.30 on a Saturday night has led to many house parties where drinking goes on til 7 or 8 in the morning, when had people been allowed stay in a club or pub they probably would have gotten tired of it around about 3.30 or 4 and gone home.

Personal experience I know, but this is what I've found to happen under the licensing laws

micls
15/04/2009, 1:53 AM
And shutting clubs at 2.30 on a Saturday night has led to many house parties where drinking goes on til 7 or 8 in the morning, when had people been allowed stay in a club or pub they probably would have gotten tired of it around about 3.30 or 4 and gone home.

Personal experience I know, but this is what I've found to happen under the licensing laws

It also causes far more trouble in the streets. You have every drunk person in the city centre dumped onto the streets at the same time, queuing for taxis etc, rather than leaving them wander off home at their own time

pete
15/04/2009, 10:37 AM
I was driving down the country Friday evening & it was a glimse into what this country would look like without pubs. Streets were deserved with no traffic & 10pm looked like 4am on a normal weekend day. Bit of a 28 days moment... :p

anto1208
16/04/2009, 11:29 AM
Licensing laws in this country need to be completely overhauled.

I'd be in favour of leaving clubs, pubs and off licenses close whenever they want but surely even those absolute failures of human beings in government can see that something simple like pubs at 11 on a weekday is a disaster as this leads people to go on to a nightclub and stay drinking til 2 when by simply allowing them to have another pint or two in a pub would probably have satisfied them.

In theory that makes sense looking at it from the perpective of a reasonable person but you also have to factor in that Irish people are in large a bunch of retards. Its hard enough to deal with drunk people now never mind if there was endless drinking. If irish people drank their limit and went home there wouldnt be a problem but they dont.

The only way it would work is if they impossed 3 very strict laws(at least).

1. Pubs & clubs are not alloud to have or serve drunk people. similar to how it is in Oz.

2. A fine of 3 grand for getting so twisted you end up in A&E split open covered in sick swinging digs at the nurses. 1 of those fines would sort you out pretty quickly not this consequence-less binge drinking lifestyle we have.

3. You must have 70% seating for your capacity. This would remove the new super pubs where they take out all the seats pump up the music so people cant sit and talk so they end up standing & swamping drinks. Then when they are full of alco pops and aftershock they are all horsed out on the road at 2 30 to get cabs or chips or just looking for trouble.

Lionel Ritchie
16/04/2009, 12:53 PM
1 is law here already Anto we just don't enforce it.

2 & 3 make great sense and would make it more difficult for a publican to reasonably deny his obligations under 1.

I think we also need to limit the capacity and spread of the supepubs as well. They are embedded now though and are a most unwelcome development in many respects.

pete
16/04/2009, 1:25 PM
I think we also need to limit the capacity and spread of the superpubs as well.

What is a superpub? I could guess but not exactly sure.

superfrank
16/04/2009, 1:26 PM
I assume something like Messrs or Dorans in Dublin.

pete
16/04/2009, 1:28 PM
I assume something like Messrs or Dorans in Dublin.

What is so wrong with them? Surely there is a certain demand for that type of pub - generally younger customers.

superfrank
16/04/2009, 2:05 PM
Well, it wasn't my argument but I'd say the problem with them is the sheer numbers they can pack in there. In Messrs, you can't move for the amount of chairs around the place.

pete
16/04/2009, 2:11 PM
The state should stay away from telling us when we can drinking & otherwise. We already have a situation where pub licences restrict the market & drive up prices. Recently they changed the closing times in their effort to assist the Vintner special interest groups.

Subject to planning laws there is no reason to stop 24 pub opening times. Make drunks pay their bill for A&E & fine those drunk & disorderly in public. If you can drink without impacting on others you should be allowed to do so.