PDA

View Full Version : Keane to return to play for Cobh

jay1
09/04/2009, 10:09 AM
Not Really happening but would it be a good idea if retired or retiring Irish Barclays Premiership Players came back and did a year or so playing for a Domestic club. would this give the Irish league(league of Ireland or whatever) a boost and maybe even increase attendances at matches and the profile?????? I know there was a few clubs i think in Norway that have done this but I think it would be great.

anyone!:)

bellavistaman
09/04/2009, 10:17 AM
Manager would be better. Imagine the players who would want to play for us!! Publicity would be superb But **** that all we want is his money!!

irishultra
09/04/2009, 10:27 AM
Manager would be better. Imagine the players who would want to play for us!! Publicity would be superb But **** that all we want is his money!!

i was reading duff might come back but they have been brainwashed since they were little about the promised land, now they have made it they see no reason to return

adamd164
09/04/2009, 10:52 AM
You'd think "Keano" might have dipped into his very deep pockets to help Cobh out with in the last few months. Would hardly have killed him to give something.

Shilts
09/04/2009, 1:44 PM
You'd think "Keano" might have dipped into his very deep pockets to help Cobh out with in the last few months. Would hardly have killed him to give something.

I think Keano has helped Cobh a lot over the years bringin teams over to play etc. When do the handouts stop? I think Roy can hold his head up on this point.

bellavistaman
09/04/2009, 2:21 PM
Ya he has been superb to us over the years!! No complaints, we cant expect no mor of the man, but if ever he's looking for a charity to dip 500k we'll always be here!!

garyderry
09/04/2009, 2:33 PM
David Kelly played for us for a season and was a huge influence,
really depends on the player and the club, we have some disasters too,

Boh_So_Good
09/04/2009, 2:37 PM
would this give the Irish league a boost

You are on the wrong forum and Cohb do not play in the Irish League.

WoodquayBoy
09/04/2009, 3:22 PM
Frank Worthington and Luther Blisset spring to mind!

Sheridan
09/04/2009, 3:31 PM
I remember him missing an absolute sitter in the cup final.

gufc2000
09/04/2009, 3:45 PM
Wasn't Richard Dunne on about spending a season with Shamrock Rovers before he retired

Dunny
09/04/2009, 3:47 PM
Wasn't Richard Dunne on about spending a season with Shamrock Rovers before he retired

Thought that was Duff?

passinginterest
09/04/2009, 3:49 PM

He's mentioned it as has Duff. Although Duff's comment was along the lines that he could see himself "pottering around the League of Ireland in his 40's", not exactly what people are looking for in returning players.

Paddyfield
09/04/2009, 8:38 PM
When I read the title of the thread, I thought you were referring to the legendary Pascal Keane.

Bummer!

dcfcsteve
09/04/2009, 9:31 PM
There is a philosophical theory that if you stand in the one spot for long enough, every person you know will walk past you at some point.

The foot.ie equivalent appears to be that if you're a member on this forum for long enough, every single possible arguement/opinion will crop up at some point.

In the case of topics like this - on quite a few occasions....

osarusan
09/04/2009, 11:46 PM
The foot.ie equivalent appears to be that if you're a member on this forum for long enough, every single possible arguement/opinion will crop up at some point.

At some point?? More like within a week.

As an aside, has anybody ever considered the possibility of some kind of All-Ireland League, maybe comprising some of the best clubs from both the LOI and the IL?

I'd be interested to read any scenarios regarding which clubs people would see fit to select, or how people would structure the whole league.

Emmet7
10/04/2009, 12:29 PM
Football is a short career...you really need to earn as much as possible while pysically fit and able to run and play.

If you are earning 50,000 a week playing for an English club in your last year or 1000 a week for an Irish club, which would you choose?

You'd earn 2 million in your last season in England. it makes no sense to come play in the League of Ireland and so it will never happen other than if you are not a top player.

pól-dcfc
10/04/2009, 12:46 PM
at some point?? More like within a week.

As an aside, has anybody ever considered the possibility of some kind of all-ireland league, maybe comprising some of the best clubs from both the loi and the il?

I'd be interested to read any scenarios regarding which clubs people would see fit to select, or how people would structure the whole league.

potm :d

crc
10/04/2009, 1:02 PM
as an aside, has anybody ever considered the possibility of some kind of all-ireland league, maybe comprising some of the best clubs from both the loi and the il?
lol :D