PDA

View Full Version : Programme from Bari

Rovers Maniac
07/04/2009, 5:02 PM
Hey lads,

Wondering would anybody have a spare programme from Bari or one they are finished with. I bought 2 programmes but when i got home that night both were gone. Its not for me but a relation of mine who had a very serious operation and i told him i would bring back a programme for him as he used to do when he went away and i was young.

PM if you have one and i will pay your asking price.

Regards,

Thomas

EastTerracer
07/04/2009, 6:15 PM
I saw the "official" programmes on sale around Bari town centre last week but was wondering if they really were genuine or just something put together by a local entrepreneur to make a few yoyos.

Were they any good?

When we went to see the World Cup in the town hall there were some glossy colour programmes for the FAI reception with the Italian FA. I managed to get hold of one of those and decided that would be good enough.

elroy
07/04/2009, 8:05 PM
Hey lads,

Wondering would anybody have a spare programme from Bari or one they are finished with. I bought 2 programmes but when i got home that night both were gone. Its not for me but a relation of mine who had a very serious operation and i told him i would bring back a programme for him as he used to do when he went away and i was young.

PM if you have one and i will pay your asking price.

Regards,

Thomas

http://cgi.ebay.ie/2009-Italy-v-Republic-of-Ireland-VIP-only-programme_W0QQitemZ160326783152QQcmdZViewItemQQptZ UK_Sports_Memorabilia_Football_Programmes_ET?hash= item160326783152&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318

Try that one, its not the english one i saw but that was rubbish anyways, this one looks better.

Conormack
08/04/2009, 5:38 AM
lads the english match programme being sold up around the game was terrible... said official programme but was mostly about ireland and in english so seriously doubt it... anyone see any italian ones being sold around the ground.

gspain
08/04/2009, 11:00 AM
The programme on sale in Bari and outside the ground in english was a Spanish pirate. The seller from Madrid is well known as he does programmes for a lot of British club sides in southern Europe. He may put official programme on it and put a barcode o nthe cover but it is not official. I'm sure he was at Villareal v Arsenal last night and will be in Porto next week with a similiar issue.

The Italian FA official programme was only available to press and VIPs at the game. This is becoming more and more common at games in Europe. This was also the case in Montenegro and the Czech Republic.

EastTerracer
08/04/2009, 12:36 PM
The Italian FA official programme was only available to press and VIPs at the game. This is becoming more and more common at games in Europe. This was also the case in Montenegro and the Czech Republic.

There were a limited number of these floating around the Town Hall for the FAI receiption. I managed to get hold of one - definitely an official production but only 10-12 pages in total. The ebay link posted earlier looks like the genuine article but it was free to the FAI and the press so GBP 10 looks a bit steep.

Rovers Maniac
08/04/2009, 12:49 PM
Ya deffo did not get that one, the one i bought looked to be not the best, will probably purchase that one on Ebay.

magnumpi
08/04/2009, 1:01 PM
i'm always dubious of guys selling programmes outside the ground after paying a few euro to some swiss guy for that free handout in basel first time around!!

a dub came up to me and gave me a can of heineken after pointing out how stupid i had been. legend.

elroy
08/04/2009, 1:02 PM
My friend got the english one and it had general articles on the foundation of football, the history of the WC and a few other useless articles like that. nothing at all specific to the match other than pictures of the players, so i think gspain is on the ball here.

lopez
08/04/2009, 6:11 PM
The programme on sale in Bari and outside the ground in english was a Spanish pirate. The seller from Madrid is well known as he does programmes for a lot of British club sides in southern Europe. He may put official programme on it and put a barcode o nthe cover but it is not official. I'm sure he was at Villareal v Arsenal last night and will be in Porto next week with a similiar issue.

The Italian FA official programme was only available to press and VIPs at the game. This is becoming more and more common at games in Europe. This was also the case in Montenegro and the Czech Republic.Some of these are going for ridiculous prices on ebay. Celtic programmes for instance were about £15 on ebay a few years ago - and they're often three or four of these 'souvenir' kack on sale. They're without doubt normally sh*t. I gave up with the programme issued at the Portugal game in 2000. Although they're not as bad as those pirate copies from Ireland home games in the seventies and eighties. They were hilarious.

Can anything be done to have a copy of the 'VIP' programme given a massive run? Maybe the FAI could underright the issue with four extra pages of extra advertising included, or by selling the thing in the Irish end. No need for it in English. Most people just want a souvenir and are prepared to pay the same as at home games, for the genuine thing.

magnumpi
09/04/2009, 8:22 AM
speaking of programmes, did anyone notice that the one for the bulgaria game didn't even have the group table in?
amateur.

gspain
09/04/2009, 9:02 AM
Some of these are going for ridiculous prices on ebay. Celtic programmes for instance were about £15 on ebay a few years ago - and they're often three or four of these 'souvenir' kack on sale. They're without doubt normally sh*t. I gave up with the programme issued at the Portugal game in 2000. Although they're not as bad as those pirate copies from Ireland home games in the seventies and eighties. They were hilarious.

Can anything be done to have a copy of the 'VIP' programme given a massive run? Maybe the FAI could underright the issue with four extra pages of extra advertising included, or by selling the thing in the Irish end. No need for it in English. Most people just want a souvenir and are prepared to pay the same as at home games, for the genuine thing.

The FAI used to do their own issue for away games. It was sold in newsagents and sometimes at the games. In Seville in 1992 the spanish had a free programme in the home end and the FAI were selling in the away end. The official Spanish free programme is very hard to get now.

For Portugal 1995 the FAI had a programme and there was a different orange A4 issue on sale in Dublin airport marked official and seemingly in Portuguese but all English inside. The guy selling it gave me a story that they had got permission from the Portuguese FA. It was total rubbish of course and the Portuguese had their own programme.

The "Spanish pirate" appeared in Lisbon in 2000 and was very poor as you say. It has got better but I imagine the same generic content is in all his programmes.

Rare Irish aways in the modern era include

Turkey 1990
Turkey 1991
Spain 1992
Portugal 1995 (official A5 issue)
Yugoslavia 1998
Croatia 1998 (only 200 printed)
Macedonia 1999
Andorra 2001 (most left behind in Andorra)
Iran 2001
Albania 2003
France 2004 (VIP only official issue - free jour de stade was no problem)

No programmes in Gyor 91, Tirana 93 or Mainz 08. Note a guy in Belarus did a programme 2 months after the Georgia game to sell on ebay.

DeLorean
09/04/2009, 9:12 AM
I bought 2 of those English version (pirate?) ones near the square alright. They were €5 each I think. I handed your man €50 and he gave me back a €20 a three €10's the dumbass, feel kind of vindicated for not pointing it out!!! I also got the Italian version as I had a poke around the stadium once the Italian fans had cleared.

DeLorean
09/04/2009, 9:14 AM
No programmes in Gyor 91, Tirana 93 or Mainz 08. Note a guy in Belarus did a programme 2 months after the Georgia game to sell on ebay.

I'm sure I was was just blind but I didn't manage to get my hands on any from the Slovakia/Czech trip either.

gspain
09/04/2009, 10:13 AM
I'm sure I was was just blind but I didn't manage to get my hands on any from the Slovakia/Czech trip either.

Both issued. Slovakia was on general sale but only from the huts which sold tickets outside the ground. This is quite common in Eastern Europe. Romania and Hungary also operate that system.

The Czech one was VIP only.

DeLorean
09/04/2009, 10:16 AM
The Czech one was VIP only.

What way does VIP work exactly?

gspain
09/04/2009, 11:12 AM
What way does VIP work exactly?

I think it was UEFA who introduced a rule a few years back that each country must issue a programme for competitive games.

Now there is no tradition of programme producing in many European countries. Many countries do not consider it to be worthwhile to produce and sell an official programme. Therefore they just do enough for the VIPs (incl the UEFA delegate) and press. Sometimes the press don't even get them.

lopez
09/04/2009, 11:17 AM
For Portugal 1995 the FAI had a programme and there was a different orange A4 issue on sale in Dublin airport marked official and seemingly in Portuguese but all English inside. The guy selling it gave me a story that they had got permission from the Portuguese FA. It was total rubbish of course and the Portuguese had their own programme.That 'programme' is one of the hardest to get on ebay. I've got the official A5 one, but I had the orange one and gave it to a mate thinking there would be no problem picking another up. The RISSC had around 100 copies, and it seemed to be everywhere that night. I've seen only one on ebay in the last nine years and that went for over £50. Like you said, it was cr*p.

I don't like the FAI doing programmes for away games. It should be the local FA. However, if they are doing a run of 200 for VIPs, it is going to be a lot more cost effective doing a run for 2000 programmes if one sheet with four pages of lucrative advertising were inserted, or that the programmes were sold for a couple of euro. I don't mind spending 10 to 20 squids, as I'm a collector, but that's beside the point.

lopez
09/04/2009, 11:29 AM
I think it was UEFA who introduced a rule a few years back that each country must issue a programme for competitive games.

Now there is no tradition of programme producing in many European countries. Many countries do not consider it to be worthwhile to produce and sell an official programme. Therefore they just do enough for the VIPs (incl the UEFA delegate) and press. Sometimes the press don't even get them.There were a standard programme style that was issued in the nineties for all CL games, but that idea sort of went out the window.

Free programmes have been a feature in Spain and I believe in Italy for probably 20 years. Sold matchday programmes are different. So these are always advert heavy, and aren't filled with cr*p about the ladies team or what a youth team player uses as toilet paper. For the visitor they are a good souvenir. I do tend to see loads being left around the stadium and no one would probably bother if you picked up a whole bundle and walked off.

Getting back to the idea of home FA proper official programmes, what about free ones being left on a table just past the entrances of the Irish (or indeed every) section? Four major advertisers- e.g. Fiat, Peroni, Gillette and D&G (for the more fashion conscious of the golfing brigade) are all official partners of the Italian national team - is all I reckon you need to cover the cost.

gspain
09/04/2009, 12:56 PM
That 'programme' is one of the hardest to get on ebay. I've got the official A5 one, but I had the orange one and gave it to a mate thinking there would be no problem picking another up. The RISSC had around 100 copies, and it seemed to be everywhere that night. I've seen only one on ebay in the last nine years and that went for over £50. Like you said, it was cr*p.

The orange one was readily available on the night but it did pour rain all night so maybe many were destroyed. It doesn't appear now as you say. I've never seen the offical A5 one anywhere for sale. I asked at the security cordon and kept persisting until a senior policeman went and got it for me. In 2000 the official A4 issue was available from the media centre if you just went in and asked. The U21 official programme from 1995 was very easy to get as they brought us in the VIP entrance in Leiria and left us take whatever we wanted of the free programmes.

I like your idea but not sure how practical it is. Italy used to give away their programme to the fans and switched to VIP only. For Scotland it was available. For Wales enterprising local vendors got the VIP only one and sold them to the Welsh fans from their stalls. When Northern Ireland went to San Marino the local scarf sellers grabbed all the free programmes and gave them to you if you bought a scarf.

If anything countries are going to other way. Romania, Czech, Italy, Spain & France all used to sell/give away programmes and are now VIP only. There may well be others.

lopez
09/04/2009, 2:25 PM
If anything countries are going to other way. Romania, Czech, Italy, Spain & France all used to sell/give away programmes and are now VIP only. There may well be others.Probably the FAs think that with these entrepreneaurs - like the bloke from Madrid - moving in, why bother.

newrynyuk
09/04/2009, 3:21 PM
Getting back to the idea of home FA proper official programmes, what about free ones being left on a table just past the entrances of the Irish (or indeed every) section? Four major advertisers- e.g. Fiat, Peroni, Gillette and D&G (for the more fashion conscious of the golfing brigade) are all official partners of the Italian national team - is all I reckon you need to cover the cost.

Isn't this what happened in Bari? In the away end, two boxes of the Italian official programme with no cover price were left by the drinks kiosk and everyone just helped themselves to bundles of them. They were long gone by the time I found out about them, but managed to get a few for the local police.

Incidently, anyone look through the free match preview newpaper given away in the tourist offices? The English was obviously translated from the original Italian. It said Italian coach Marcello Lippi’s new reign “was in the hands of less well-endowed players". Hmm...

lopez
09/04/2009, 4:05 PM
Isn't this what happened in Bari? In the away end, two boxes of the Italian official programme with no cover price were left by the drinks kiosk and everyone just helped themselves to bundles of them. They were long gone by the time I found out about them, but managed to get a few for the local police.

Incidently, anyone look through the free match preview newpaper given away in the tourist offices? The English was obviously translated from the original Italian. It said Italian coach Marcello Lippi’s new reign “was in the hands of less well-endowed players". Hmm...Probably now on sale on ebay. Agreed that more order needed. Was going to suggest handed out by the turnstile operator, but then that might mean that delays will be longer getting in.

Schumi
09/04/2009, 4:16 PM
Incidently, anyone look through the free match preview newpaper given away in the tourist offices? The English was obviously translated from the original Italian. It said Italian coach Marcello Lippi’s new reign “was in the hands of less well-endowed players". Hmm...

The picture of the typical Irish house was my favourite bit. :D