PDA

View Full Version : Shels away

pineapple stu
07/04/2009, 12:59 PM
An interesting game (I won't call it a vital game because I still don't believe we're good enough to last the whole season at the top).

Shels have won five out of five, just like ourselves, but they've won each game by a single goal and they haven't played anyone particularly decent, waterford aside. Single goal wins over Limerick (who haven't done anywhere near as well as I'd thought they'd do pre-season), Mervue, Monaghan and Wexford show consistency, but nothing to be worried about. Can we get something here?

DmanDmythDledge
07/04/2009, 1:21 PM
Depends how our defence holds out. I think our midfield is good enough to get the better of theirs but I feel the lack of a defensive minded player will see them create as much chances as ourselves. Dineen is defensive mid- maybe he will come in for this. Should be an interesting game- not too sure if I will be able to make it though.

pineapple stu
07/04/2009, 2:01 PM
Our defence should be ok - one freak goal and one sloppy 93rd minute goal is all we've let in. Agree Finn and Bolger (is he back?) isn't the most balanced though. Or Creevy, for that matter. Good enough to take control against the bottom half teams; not sure about those pushing for promotion. Thought is was our problem area against Fingal (they were just too bad to take advantage on the day)

DeNiro
07/04/2009, 3:08 PM
Might go to this on Friday. Any idea how much Shels are charging this season for students?

the_horse
08/04/2009, 6:01 PM
Creevy's gotta start

DmanDmythDledge
08/04/2009, 6:20 PM
Creevy's gotta start
Why? He's hardly set the world alight in the three games that he's played. He's doing fine but if we need a more defensive minded player in midfield he's going to be the one sacraficed (if we are going to stick with 4-4-2).

Poor Student
08/04/2009, 6:50 PM
I don't know if it's the lack of options, not rating the opposition or just his philosophy on how the game is played but Russell has lined up with an attacking midfield pairing in all five games. It will be interesting to see if he lines up with this attacking 4-4-2 in Tolka. I think Mahon was guilty of respecting the opposition a bit too much last season, I'd like to see us go for this one.

HarpoJoyce
09/04/2009, 8:46 PM
Looking forward to this as we are playing well and Shelbourne are starting to get 'cabin fever' in this Division. I missed our last league game, but am delighted with our performaces in the previous four.

Is Rusty still looking for his best eleven? as I see him making the odd change here and there for the next while as he gives other squad players a chance.

DmanDmythDledge
09/04/2009, 8:50 PM
Is Rusty still looking for his best eleven? as I see him making the odd change here and there for the next while as he gives other squad players a chance.
Well our team as been pretty settled so far, most of the changes have been forced apart from bringing Brennan into the line up. Will be interesting to see if Timmy goes into the team- Dave McMillan has been doing quite well.

Aberdonian Stu
10/04/2009, 8:25 AM
Could someone email me the first XI from tonight over the weekend please?

Poor Student
10/04/2009, 12:27 PM
Well our team as been pretty settled so far, most of the changes have been forced apart from bringing Brennan into the line up. Will be interesting to see if Timmy goes into the team- Dave McMillan has been doing quite well.

MacMillan has to start. I think Timmy is a better player but Dave has earned his place in the team.

Raheny Red
10/04/2009, 12:49 PM
Might go to this on Friday. Any idea how much Shels are charging this season for students?

10er.

pineapple stu
10/04/2009, 1:02 PM
MacMillan has to start. I think Timmy is a better player but Dave has earned his place in the team.
Is Timmy match fit? Training's one thing, but a 90 minute match is another.

We've shown we'll keep with a winning team to an extent (keeping Evan on the bench for a couple of games until he made himself impossible to ignore); I'd imagine the same will apply for Timmy.

Schumi
10/04/2009, 10:17 PM
6 out of 6 now. Sounded hairier than the scoreline but this is a serious start to the season.

What was the team by the way?

Dunny
10/04/2009, 10:22 PM
6 out of 6 now. Sounded hairier than the scoreline but this is a serious start to the season.

Barron, Boyle,Evan McMillan, Shortall, Matthews, Creevy, Mulhall, Finn, Reilly, David McMillan, Kilduff

Subs:Leahy, McMahon, Ward, Brennan and Dineen.

bennocelt
11/04/2009, 7:00 AM

no way - from the off you could see UCD would win this - they were set up better.

Thought the central mid were excellent and the right wing was awesome - number 10, and the right winger:)

Shels played better in the second half - but you can see that UCD are going to coast this league

Schumi
11/04/2009, 9:33 AM
no way - from the off you could see UCD would win this - they were set up better.

Thought the central mid were excellent and the right wing was awesome - number 10, and the right winger:)

Shels played better in the second half - but you can see that UCD are going to coast this league

Good to hear, I was going on some rather pessimistic updates at 2-0and 2-1.

Poor Student
11/04/2009, 10:06 AM
Four goals and three red cards, in terms of entertainment it was all you could ask for. Thoroughly enjoyed that game. It was very surreal to be dominating Shels in Tolka in a place that so often so us outclassed and defeated. In the first half Shels had the majority of the ball but did very little with it. Keely sent them out to rough us up and it backfired in the end. What time we had on the ball in the first half we made far better use of it.

From what I could make of the first goal (I was at the opposite end of the pitch) MacMillan was put through and he and Kilduff were two on one with the keeper. Instead of squaring it for the easy tap in Dave struck a lovely finish. It oozed of confidence. The second goal Finn recived the ball and pace and under pressure for a Shels player in the middle but still managed to touch it onto Reilly 15 or 20 yards to his right. Reilly burned the Shels full back and belted in a near post finish. His second goal was very similar, done his marker, drove into the box and cracked it in at the near post.

The second half was very strange. Shels pulled one back almost immediately and you felt the momentum was going to swing their way. That said, we did seem to come to life again after they scored and Creevy forced a great save from their keeper from the edge of the box. McGill's sending off took the sting out of them though. Some accounts say our player kicked out at him on the ground. Whatever happened he gave our lad a few digs and had to see red. It seemed indicative of the aggressive style that Shels had last night. Reilly got his second shortly after that and from then on we strolled. Kilduff hit the post from a move that would have been our equivalent of Carlos Alberto's goal for Brazil in 1970, a sublime team passing move. Their second red was for a second bookable offence and I couldn't see Shorty's red properly but it was also a second yellow.

This was our sternest test this season. Unlike Fingal this Shelbourne side played like a team who wanted to fight and win and that was the largest crowd we will play against this season in the league. The consensus on Shelsweb seems to be that we are a class above them. One lad said we were the best team they've played since 'Sheligation'. We have to play a weakened team against Tullamore on Tuesday and ensure we take advanatge against Wexford on Friday as Shels and Fingal face off.

pineapple stu
11/04/2009, 2:27 PM

Shels played better in the second half
Have to disagree with this. Early on, Shels hassled us all the time on the ball. We gave it away stupidly - loose passes, were caught in possession, skied clearances and what have you. Then Shels realised we were very shaky under the high ball and started sending them in regularly enough. We were fortunate (or good, depending) enough to score two of our three first-half chances. That said, for all our shakiness at the back, Shels didn't make Ger Barron do anything; I think that wastefulness was criminal on their part.

Second half, once they scored after 60 seconds, they sat back and let us back into the game. If they had kept the pace up, we'd have cracked - we couldn't keep the high ball out for another 44 minutes. Then they had the lad sent off and fell to pieces. We could have had a couple more - Killer hit the post and headed wide of an open goal for example.

Finn took the absolute, unmerciful mick. And not the exhibitionist kind of p!ss taking - he knew exactly what he was doing, and would only go past three players for a reason; he'd play a through ball if it was the right time to do it. Worth the entrance fee alone (someone on the Shels forum described him as a "genius at this level"). One of thes best performances for UCD I've ever seen.

Eight points clear of fourth now; third was my optimistic target at the start of the season! Shels and Fingal are both good enough to beat us, I think, if they learn from those two games. Are Wexford and Mervue good enough to beat us though? Or Tullamore? How long can this run seriously go on for?

One final interesting stat which will be in the match report (online tomorrow evening) - three home games: 2, 3 and 4 goals scored respectively. Three away games: 1, 2 and 3 goals scored respectively. This team is getting better by the week. Kids with confidence are dangerous. I'm going to enjoy this season!

bennocelt
12/04/2009, 11:48 AM
Have to disagree with this. Early on, Shels hassled us all the time on the ball. We gave it away stupidly - loose passes, were caught in possession, skied clearances and what have you. Then Shels realised we were very shaky under the high ball and started sending them in regularly enough. We were fortunate (or good, depending) enough to score two of our three first-half chances. That said, for all our shakiness at the back, Shels didn't make Ger Barron do anything; I think that wastefulness was criminal on their part.

Second half, once they scored after 60 seconds, they sat back and let us back into the game. If they had kept the pace up, we'd have cracked - we couldn't keep the high ball out for another 44 minutes. Then they had the lad sent off and fell to pieces. We could have had a couple more - Killer hit the post and headed wide of an open goal for example.

Finn took the absolute, unmerciful mick. And not the exhibitionist kind of p!ss taking - he knew exactly what he was doing, and would only go past three players for a reason; he'd play a through ball if it was the right time to do it. Worth the entrance fee alone (someone on the Shels forum described him as a "genius at this level"). One of thes best performances for UCD I've ever seen.

Eight points clear of fourth now; third was my optimistic target at the start of the season! Shels and Fingal are both good enough to beat us, I think, if they learn from those two games. Are Wexford and Mervue good enough to beat us though? Or Tullamore? How long can this run seriously go on for?

One final interesting stat which will be in the match report (online tomorrow evening) - three home games: 2, 3 and 4 goals scored respectively. Three away games: 1, 2 and 3 goals scored respectively. This team is getting better by the week. Kids with confidence are dangerous. I'm going to enjoy this season!

Yeah def agree that UCD looked very dodgy with crosses and the high balls - but looking at it from my end UCd passed it around well and I knew they would win from the way they were set up - lovely passers of the ball etc

by the way was at athlone - longford last nite and although UCD should beat them both well - Longford are also good in the air, but have no strikers and athlone are muck! will be backing heavy on UCD when they play athlone:)

pineapple stu
12/04/2009, 3:48 PM
Match report up now (http://www.ucdsoccer.com/index.php?a=235).

the_horse
12/04/2009, 7:17 PM
Kilduff should've got at least one, he's some what off form

HarpoJoyce
13/04/2009, 4:48 PM
Kilduff should've got at least one, he's some what off form

Yes, I hope he's patient enough untilit returns.

On a similiar point, did Kilduff and McMillan's reputation aid Reilly for the second goal. The defenders appeared to stay central and allow 'Rocco' to close in on goal. It was a lovely shot. Low and hard, let the 'keeper ty and deal with it.

pineapple stu
13/04/2009, 5:10 PM
Rocco's first was deflected, some Shels fans are saying. If they were in the Lego stand, they'd have had a much better view of it, and it'd explain why it went in too.

colmanthesaint
13/04/2009, 9:46 PM
Rocco's first was deflected, some Shels fans are saying. If they were in the Lego stand, they'd have had a much better view of it, and it'd explain why it went in too.

Rocco's shot definitely deflected off McGill of Shels.

Matthews was taken off with a hip injury too btw, nothing serious though.

Colie
15/04/2009, 9:03 PM
Some match. Both strikers looked the business. Don't think Ronan Finn'll see out the season with UCD I'm afraid. Class act. Get him in the Ireland team instead of Steve Ireland & we'll be grand.

lefty
16/04/2009, 5:37 PM
An enjoyable match for someone who hasnt been to one in a while. Best part of the night though had to be harpo and his confetti. I found that bloody hilarious. Good night well spent and not a single can was drank by me at the game