PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Foley

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

SkStu
06/04/2009, 6:58 PM
there doesnt appear from the linked post above that there is a thread for Kevin Foley. I came to post the following article from the independent. He seems to have a great sensible head on him and comes across as a decent guy in this. Really hope his time comes sooner rather than later.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/with-ireland-im-still-just-a-ballboy-1699534.html

Mad Moose
06/04/2009, 7:10 PM
I like Kevin Foley. Seen him a couple of times since joining Wolves and has looked very assured, delivers excellent passes and gets up and down the pitch. He was one of the more sought after players when Luton Town got into financial trouble and made an easy transition to Championship football.

Don't know much about recent progress and performances as to whether he should be in ahead of Mc Shane but seems to be pretty consistent and definetely looking like continuation of a good career.

irishfan86
06/04/2009, 7:14 PM
On Setanta today vs Birmingham if you want to check him out (along with possibly Keogh and Ward?).

eirebhoy
06/04/2009, 7:16 PM
Watching the match so far and by jesus is that a tough league to play in. Pirlo or Xavi would absolutely struggle to have any influence in that match, never mind Potter or Garvan. Not great to watch.

gustavo
06/04/2009, 7:30 PM
shocking tackle by Carsley in that game , deserved red , Iwelumo stretchered off , Andy Keogh brought on

Dr. Ogba
06/04/2009, 7:32 PM
he's looked pretty comfortable on the ball when he's had a chance so far. He is deffo a far better full back than McShane, thought he was actually a lot younger than 24 so its not as if he's too young to be thrown in at the deep end...

irishultra
06/04/2009, 7:54 PM
is fahey playing

Paddy Garcia
06/04/2009, 7:57 PM
Yes he is

tricky_colour
06/04/2009, 9:00 PM
On Setanta today vs Birmingham if you want to check him out (along with possibly Keogh and Ward?).

Don't forget Stephen Carr ;)

Stuttgart88
06/04/2009, 9:07 PM
he's looked pretty comfortable on the ball when he's had a chance so far. He is deffo a far better full back than McShane, thought he was actually a lot younger than 24 so its not as if he's too young to be thrown in at the deep end...I thought he & Jarvis were Wolves' best players by a mile. He looks comfortable on the ball in that position, always hungry for it, generally good with his use of it (bar a couple of misplaced passes late in the game) and looks comfortable with both feet.

He wasn't really tested defensively. He left the ball to Hennessy for the first goal but I think everyone watching was amazed Hennessy didn't claim it. Clearly keeper's ball IMO. In short he looks a proper full back with a full appreciation of what the role requires. Full back is a crucial position for developing play and in this regard he's a street a head of McShane.

What an ugly game though. Foley was one of the only players out there to actually try and play it properly. The game passed Fahey by really. Keogh and Ward were mediocre and Carsley's tackle was a shocker. If Ward didn't give Iwelumo a shout in the first half when he'd have had that headed chance it shows a real lack of footballing brain.

In fairness I think Carsley only had eyes for the ball but he missed it badly and it's always dangerous to go in with your studs high. Absolutely right decision.

tricky_colour
06/04/2009, 10:14 PM
Don't forget Stephen Carr ;)

Well he was on the 10 man winning side.
Sign him up!!

eirebhoy
10/04/2009, 1:50 PM
Wolves v Southampton on Sky sports in a half hour.

Stuttgart88
10/04/2009, 2:56 PM
Great start for Wolves, just what they needed as a nerve racking season end beckons.

I've lost count of the number of very early goals that Wolves' games have featured this season, for or against.

tommy_c12000
10/04/2009, 4:43 PM
Foley had another good game at right back. Commentator said that if u talk to any of the wolves fans about their player of the season, it's Foley, great achievement for a right full back considering he's up against Ebanks-Blake among others

joema
10/04/2009, 5:15 PM
Outstanding today! Quality player, so intelligent when in possession of the ball.

Subbed off to a standing ovation and cries of "One Kevin Foley"... Not bad for a right back...

stiffler
10/04/2009, 5:51 PM
Get him in the team!!!

Paddy Garcia
10/04/2009, 6:24 PM
Outstanding today! Quality player, so intelligent when in possession of the ball.

Subbed off to a standing ovation and cries of "One Kevin Foley"... Not bad for a right back...

Reminds me of when Irwin was at Oldham. The best full back we had by some distance & could not get near the team. Then Man U moved for him & he got called up.

The only difference is that Morris (for all his deficiencies) was a far more accomplished defender than McShane.

tricky_colour
10/04/2009, 10:07 PM
He is about 14th in the Championship Actim index, which high for a fullback.

ArdeeBhoy
30/09/2009, 9:34 AM
Anyone know how he's been playing this season? Or is he out injured/been dropped?

Tried looking online, but can't find the right site!!!

elroy
30/09/2009, 9:39 AM
Anyone know how he's been playing this season? Or is he out injured/been dropped?

Tried looking online, but can't find the right site!!!

Im fairly sure he played in the Carling cup last week but the reviews of him werent exactly great.

Junior
30/09/2009, 10:54 AM
Im fairly sure he played in the Carling cup last week but the reviews of him werent exactly great.

Yeah he played against Man U in the Carling Cup but didnt feature in the couple of league games that Ive seen of Wolves. Cant see he did anything of note against Man U.

Manc Irish Wolf
30/09/2009, 12:00 PM
Out injured since the start of he season - with Man U being his first (reserve) game back from injury. Was on the bench on Sunday and should be back in the squad in no time when he is up to full fitness.

elroy
18/09/2010, 2:47 PM
Wake up and take notice Mr Trappatoni. Kevin Foley playing very well for Wolves and instrumental in their goal, super cross.

Ward also playing well.

Junior
20/09/2010, 10:35 AM
Wake up and take notice Mr Trappatoni. Kevin Foley playing very well for Wolves and instrumental in their goal, super cross.

Ward also playing well.

A post at 4:45 might not quite have read the same.....

elroy
20/09/2010, 12:17 PM
A post at 4:45 might not quite have read the same.....

Perhaps, a poor mistimed challenge by Ward but aside from that he did play well.

Manc Irish Wolf
12/11/2010, 2:26 PM
A special mention needs to be given to Kevin Foley who has been in exceptional form in our last 6 games - very promising given that we have played Arsenal, Chelsea, Man City and Man U twice within them - in which he was head and shoulders the best player on the pitch against Chelsea and Man City.

Foley has made the position his own this season is the absence of Zubar (who is a very good attacking ex-Marseilles Right Back) and it appears that his stint in midfield last season has done him the world of good, as his possession football has improved immeasurably and he no longer looks for the long ball up the line (which in fairness he used to hit with accuracy) but is coming inside and working well with some decent triangles up the line between the right sided centre midfielder (Henry/Edwards) and winger (Hunt/Jarvis).

His calmness, well timed tackling and good possession are beginning to make him the closest thing that we (Wolves and Ireland) have had to Irwin for a long time and it is literally getting to the point where if he does not get a chance in that position shortly, Trap seriously needs to be questioned for his scouting of the players available to him.

Foley and Coleman on the right wing has the making's of a great partnership with the mix of defensive/attacking capabilities, which in style is reminiscent of the Kelly/McAteer partnership of 94. Alternatively, he has been linking up well with Hunty on that flank, which may also lend an additional advantage on the International stage. Irrespective, it is the perfect opportunity to shore up the centre with O'Shea and Dunne as a more experienced due in the middle.

Special praise has been mentioned on Molineux Mix with some comments below:

http://www.molineuxmix.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=54647

Just think he deserves a mention. His form recently has easily matched that of Jarvis imo, abliet less spectacularly. He is proving what a top player he is at right back. I`m sure certain posters on here said he wasnt good enough to play right back in the premier league.

'Mr 7 out of 10' is showing exactly what we knew he was capable of. In fact - last season, 3 players who were sensational in the Championship didn't do as well as I'd expected - Foley, SEB and Kites. Obviously, Kites is not having a good time of it right now, but SEB and Foley have improved immeasurably this season so far, and have shown me that they are both capable of playing at this level.

Foley is a quality player, I like Zubar but he's not as good as Foley.

I'm in love with him. He is so good.

personally thought he looked suprisingly out of his depth at the start of this season, but foley's season form turned around from that sensational performance at wigan in early october

Agree with OP, he's been outstanding in the last six games.

Zubar with his pace & overlap offer us more going forward but he is prone to the occassional lapse in concentration on our own half & for me Foley is more assured defensively. Both very good players but (assuming both on form) I would give Foley the nod as we need his qualities defensively.

Same here. Like Mancienne i think he's always one step ahead. Always looking for the ball. Very unphased, seems to love the pressure.

paul_oshea
12/11/2010, 2:58 PM
Manc having seen a few games of wolves lately, ive been very unimpressed with fletcher, also the centre pairing of defense dont mark up tight from set pieces and in general seem to leave big gaps in the middle. I would see this as their weakest area at the moment, which is obviously detrimental in terms of goals conceded(and they have conceded a fair bit in their last 5 or so games). Also the defensive side of the midfield seems poor and not great at moving/getting up the pitch quick enough or able get up full stop? 2/3 or 3/4 up the pitch (if want to call it that area) seems to be the strongest area, with doyle, jarvis, hunt and foley(going forward) all playing very well. Is craddock back from injury? Would you agree with this in general?

Still though to stay up they need to concede less, and sorting out the CBs is imperative.

I think some posters have noted the point re:Trap, not least in relation to Foley.

Sullivinho
12/11/2010, 3:28 PM
Great report there Manc. I share your enthusiasm. Foley's consistency does invite comparison to Mr. Reliable himself.

SkStu
13/11/2010, 3:34 PM
scores a very tidy goal today. Poor display overall from Wolves though. McCarthy must be under serious pressure after today.

AlaskaFox
13/11/2010, 4:36 PM
3-2 isn't so bad. Doubt he'll go just yet. They'll give him time to turn it around.

Colbert Report
13/11/2010, 5:02 PM
Mick McCarthy on the way out? Never. He could lose the next ten matches and not get the sack.

tricky_colour
13/11/2010, 5:38 PM
I think their previous 4 league fixtures were against the top 4, Chelsea, Man U, Man City, and Arsenal.
There have some relatively easier ones coming up.

Stuttgart88
14/11/2010, 1:15 PM
They've actually played well and fully deserved something from United and Arsenal. Maybe they're a bit like Ireland - not streetwise enough. I reckon they've lost about ten points already this season from carelessness or sheer bad luck. They need to buy a dominant CB I think.

elroy
15/11/2010, 8:32 PM
Manc, whats your thoughts on Doyler so far this season?? Doesnt seem to be happening for him so far. Maybe he just needs one to go in for him.

paul_oshea
15/11/2010, 9:25 PM
They've actually played well and fully deserved something from United and Arsenal. Maybe they're a bit like Ireland - not streetwise enough. I reckon they've lost about ten points already this season from carelessness or sheer bad luck. They need to buy a dominant CB I think.

Ya i had something written on my linux OS, and for some reason i cant post to here when on it, anyway ive watched there last 4 games, and they are very poor down the centre, their marking is very slack. Its not down to bad luck, just been poor and ward was defintely at fault for 2 goals. But in general the marking from set pieces is terrible, surprising cos always thought under us, even with the likes of obrien/breen and a very inconsistent richard dunne we still looked strong from set pieces when mick was in charge. I think they need 2 CBs...what about ledger? i reckon he would need someone more experienced.

Doyle is playing very well, getting very few easy chances on goal, was unlucky not to score the last day or against arsenal as he played really well. i really hope they get a win in the next game, they will be in a serious bad way if they dont, and we have so many players tehre i dont want to see them going down. Mick buy a CB in january, possibly 2.

drummerboy
16/11/2010, 7:53 AM
Foley deserves a start for Ireland tomorrow night. Hopefully Trap will play him behind Coleman.

elroy
16/11/2010, 8:28 AM
Foley deserves a start for Ireland tomorrow night. Hopefully Trap will play him behind Coleman.

Hear hear, Foley has been in the squad several times with little of no joy. Considering he is a regular in the PL, deserves the start on wed.

SkStu
27/11/2010, 3:13 PM
another goal for Foley this season.

Wolves goal: Advantage hosts. Matt Jarvis sees his shot punched away by Craig Gordon but Kevin Foley follows up and buries the ball inside the far post. Top finish. That will also warm up boss Mick McCarthy.

Colbert Report
27/11/2010, 3:52 PM
Kevin Doyle just set up the winner for Wolves, great result for them, 3-2. Huge three points.

Sullivinho
27/11/2010, 3:55 PM
Massive three points. Foley and Hunt on the scoresheet. Very pleased for Mick and co.

tommy_c12000
27/11/2010, 10:12 PM
Just watched Foley on Match of the Day. The more I see of him the more he impresses me. Definitely deserves a chance at proving himself as Ireland first choice right back

tricky_colour
27/11/2010, 11:57 PM
It was a good strike for someone I presume is right footed.

tetsujin1979
28/11/2010, 1:35 AM
was captain for the game as well

both RTE and BBC made the mistake of saying it was his first Premiership goal, which actually came 2 weeks ago against Bolton

paul_oshea
04/12/2010, 7:13 PM
Lads i mentioned a while ago that unless wolves sort out their defence they are in seroius trouble. Mick must see this. 3 goals a game is a joke, they are going to go down unless he brings in some players in january.

Charlie Darwin
05/12/2010, 1:37 AM
From what I saw, Foley was the only one who wasn't culpable for any of the goals. Ward was non-existent for the third goal. The centre half pairing looks dreadful any time I see it.

seanfhear
05/12/2010, 8:08 AM
Its almost as if Wolves are playing without centrebacks. Unless Wolves find a sugar daddy and buy two good centre backs in January they are doomed. Mick will be lucky to survive that long.

Is it his fault or the chairmans that Wolves do not have centre backs capable of playing at premier league level.

drummerboy
05/12/2010, 9:25 AM
Ward has been playing left side of midfield in the last few games.

paul_oshea
05/12/2010, 10:09 AM
Is zubar left back since he came back

OwlsFan
06/01/2011, 8:53 AM
Playing midfield again last night. No sign of Ward. Is he injured or dropped?

tetsujin1979
06/01/2011, 9:30 AM
Playing midfield again last night. No sign of Ward. Is he injured or dropped?
he was on the bench, came on for Doyle after 70 minutes