PDA

View Full Version : Brian Kerr appointed Faroe Islands manager

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Wangball
06/04/2009, 10:21 AM
Feel free to move this to the World Football thread if I've posted in the wrong place

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/0406/kerrb.html

Love the spelling error

Deckydee
06/04/2009, 10:22 AM
Oh dear :o

ifk101
06/04/2009, 10:27 AM
Good for him.

gustavo
06/04/2009, 10:31 AM
Hope he does well really will be interesting to see how he gets on

Lionel Ritchie
06/04/2009, 10:44 AM
He's a great appointment from their perspective.

He'll hardly manage to make a silk purse out of the sows ear that is their national squad ...but he'll be a huge asset to their youth setup and as a re-organiser (if neccessary) of the structures of football there. There's likely to be a limited amount you can do with a country who's population is about that of Waterford but best of luck to him.

Scram
06/04/2009, 10:55 AM
Huge step up from St. Pats.

Boh_So_Good
06/04/2009, 11:02 AM
He was a really good Ireland manager and was only disliked because he wasn't British enough for the Ole' Ole' Sheeple and RTEngland, but this is a good job as its not the other side of the world and not too much pressure.

Good Luck to him.

Hibs4Ever
06/04/2009, 11:08 AM
He was a really good Ireland manager and was only disliked because he wasn't British enough for the Ole' Ole' Sheeple and RTEngland

Agree 100%

Best of luck to him

pete
06/04/2009, 11:16 AM
He was a really good Ireland manager and was only disliked because he wasn't British enough for the Ole' Ole' Sheeple and RTEngland, but this is a good job as its not the other side of the world and not too much pressure.

+1.

He was a conservative coach which people did not like but we have another one of them now. He was not a great Ireland coach but not a bad one either.

Good to see he is involved in the developed of their association.

Duggie
06/04/2009, 11:18 AM
terrible job to take hes better that that, going nowhere in a job like that. only aim is to see how to keep the score down from game to game. pity but wish him well.

shakermaker1982
06/04/2009, 11:30 AM
Good luck to him. The only way is up for the islanders surely?

Duggie
06/04/2009, 11:40 AM
Good luck to him. The only way is up for the islanders surely?

up to where.....
wonder how much hes getting paid, cant be a great deal i would imagine.

Ringo
06/04/2009, 11:42 AM
whatever it is its too much:rolleyes:

irishultra
06/04/2009, 11:44 AM
a coup on faroe islands part but seriously he's got nothing to work with. imo he should be managing a national teams like Macedonia, Bosnia, Latvia etc where he can do something but with faroes not a chance.

good luck kerr. i wish him the best

Lionel Ritchie
06/04/2009, 11:52 AM
a coup on faroe islands part but seriously he's got nothing to work with. imo he should be managing a national teams like Macedonia, Bosnia, Latvia etc where he can do something but with faroes not a chance.

good luck kerr. i wish him the best

stepping stone? An improbable win or two brings you onto the radar at least.

Duggie
06/04/2009, 11:53 AM
stepping stone? An improbable win or two brings you onto the radar at least.

some hope:rolleyes:

osarusan
06/04/2009, 12:02 PM
He was a really good Ireland manager and was only disliked because he wasn't British enough for the Ole' Ole' Sheeple and RTEngland
Wouldn't agree that he was a 'really good' Ireland manager, but I think once the knives were out for him, he had no chance.

Good luck to him, it is hard to know exactly what he hopes to achieve with the Faroes, but I hope it works out for all concerned.

Wolfie
06/04/2009, 12:06 PM
Whats the odds on us drawing the Faroes in our Euro 2012 qualifying group?

amaccann
06/04/2009, 12:20 PM
A bit of a comedown to be honest, I was always expecting him to go back into LoI management at some point. As people said, I don't think he got a fair crack of the whip as Ireland manager.

Revies pitbull
06/04/2009, 12:27 PM
Think it's a good move for him, agree that he's good enough to manage a latvia or a macedonia squad and I reckon a couple of good draws and a win, however unlikely, with the faroes excuse for a squad would get him that bit of attention...

danonion
06/04/2009, 12:44 PM
He was not a great Ireland manager that's rubbish. He was a bottler and I don't rate him.

elroy
06/04/2009, 1:00 PM
Most successful under age Irish manager ever.

And did a damn sight better with the senior team than stan, left in bad circumstances but I think he had lost the dressing room by the end of this term. His final game at home to the Swiss was one of the most inept and passionless (if there is such a word) Irish performances in a long long time. A win wouldve got us at least a playoff i think and we never looked like it that night, in fact Frei shouldve won the game for the Swiss.

gspain
06/04/2009, 1:04 PM
I really really hope we don't draw them next time round.

I think he was a good manager for Ireland. He may well have got us to Germany had John Delaney not being appointed CEO between Autumn 2004 and Spring 2005. Kerr seemed paralysed with fear after that knowing he wasn't Delaney's choice. Then the media paranoia set in.

He would absolutely love to pull one over on us.

eaststand85
06/04/2009, 1:11 PM
Agree with the majority of posts wishing him good luck, agree he probably deserves better but fair dues to him for having the guts to give it a go.

Fester
06/04/2009, 1:21 PM
Wish him all the best!

bennocelt
06/04/2009, 1:36 PM
A bit of a comedown to be honest, I was always expecting him to go back into LoI management at some point. As people said, I don't think he got a fair crack of the whip as Ireland manager.

thats rubbish, was two campaigns not enough?

I like Kerr and hope he can do something with the faroes but he was useless with the senior team - unfortunately

Wangball
06/04/2009, 1:38 PM
He has let himself down of late with some of thie things he's said in the press but in an ideal world he would of been moved somewhere else within the FAI - He'd be perfect for the U21's job - so he is a loss to Irish football

Hope he does well.....

Duggie
06/04/2009, 1:46 PM
those bloody israel results cost him, it could have been all so different for him otherwise. doomed to the faroes now it seems.

OwlsFan
06/04/2009, 1:52 PM

Is that why they dislike Trapp as well because of his Britishness :rolleyes:

"RTEngland" in the form of the panel had the knives out for Jack and Mick as well.

Managers live or die by results no matter where they are from. If Kerr had qualifed us for anything, he would be a hero. He didn't so that was that. Nothing to do with where he was from.

I am not sure how being appointed the manager of one of the worst teams in World football could enhance his career. Staunton went to a job as assistant at Leeds, Kerr to the Faroe Islands. Says it all about the last two managers really.

Drumcondra 69er
06/04/2009, 1:52 PM

Good Luck to him.

Rubbish, I was delighted when he was appointed and really wanted him to suceed given that he'd come through the LOI.

But the fact is he wasn't up to the job and choked when the pressure was on. He had his chance and only managed 3rd and 4th from positions where the groups were winnable (Beat Russia at home and the swiss away for '04 and we'd have topped the group, hold onto leads away and home against Israel and we'd have topped the '06 group). It had fukk all to do with him not being British enough (:rolleyes:) or the RTE panel, his results weren't good enough. Some of the performances in big games, particularly the 2 Swiss games to try and make the play offs at the end of each campaign were as bad as anything Stan managed us to. And, had it not been for Shay Given our humiliation in Cyprus would have come 12 months earlier then it did.

I hope he does well for the Faroes but calling him a 'really good Ireland manager' is deranged.

amaccann
06/04/2009, 2:08 PM
thats rubbish, was two campaigns not enough?

I like Kerr and hope he can do something with the faroes but he was useless with the senior team - unfortunately
Well how many campaigns did McCarthy get? I'm not saying that his is the yardstick, but Kerr seemed to get the bums rush when results didn't go the right way. I seem to recall rumblings from the team that they didn't appreciate his methods of coaching & of course famously the FAI tried to bluff about FIFA rankings being a reason for his sacking. No more than mcCarthy though, it was something of a transitional team Kerr inherited (aren't they all I suppose?)

I can't say I was enamoured with his style of football (I alluded to it after the Bulgaria match in the post-match thread), but I think the knives came out for Kerr, unfairly so.

Royal rover
06/04/2009, 2:14 PM
i think it's awful that people slate Kerr - the guy deserved the job after his achievements with the under-age set up , and delaney replaced him with a world class donkey, i hope he does well

Drumcondra 69er
06/04/2009, 2:17 PM
Well how many campaigns did McCarthy get? I'm not saying that his is the yardstick, but Kerr seemed to get the bums rush when results didn't go the right way. I seem to recall rumblings from the team that they didn't appreciate his methods of coaching & of course famously the FAI tried to bluff about FIFA rankings being a reason for his sacking. No more than mcCarthy though, it was something of a transitional team Kerr inherited (aren't they all I suppose?)

I can't say I was enamoured with his style of football (I alluded to it after the Bulgaria match in the post-match thread), but I think the knives came out for Kerr, unfairly so.

McCarthy inherited a team in far more of a transition then Kerr did, Kerr inherited a team that had just got to the 2nd round of the World Cup and been unfortunate to get knocked out of penalties. Add to that the fact that under McCarthy we never finished outside the top 2 in his 2 campaigns (and were incredibly unlucky not to top the '00 group) whereas Kerr came 3rd and 4th. That comparison that was trotted out about the amount of campaigns McCarthy was given never held water, we were going forward each campaign under him, under Kerr we went backwards (3rd then 4th).

lionelhutz
06/04/2009, 2:29 PM
terrible job to take hes better that that, going nowhere in a job like that. only aim is to see how to keep the score down from game to game. pity but wish him well.

I thought the same. He should have aimed for a middle to lower tier european country if possible - surely he'd be good enough to manage a developing country like Cyprus or one of the eastern european teams

jbyrne
06/04/2009, 2:30 PM
He has let himself down of late with some of thie things he's said in the press

agree, just read his piece over the weekend from the IT last thursday and he was coming out with nonsense like the management have not done enough to get ireland and andy obrien back in the squad and that lesser players are taking their place on the international stage... how many times have these lads to be asked to play for their country brian?

was glad when he got the job but many of his results were not good enough and has since been unable to hide his complete bitterness towards the international set-up in a very blinkered way.

good luck to him with the faroes... if he actually manages to beat the fog and land in the place!

Dr. Ogba
06/04/2009, 2:49 PM

Good Luck to him.

ridiculous post, he was given the job because of the huge public support for him after his successes with the underage teams, and deservedly so.

As for being a "really good Ireland manager"? I have only one word for you....Israel

Would have loved to see him back in our underage setup in some way shape or form (u21 manager maybe?) but after the way he split with the FAI that was never gonna happen.

Good luck to him though, I don't envy the job he has in front of him but hopefully he gets a few decent results with them.

Adrianovic
06/04/2009, 3:02 PM
I am not sure how being appointed the manager of one of the worst teams in World football could enhance his career. Staunton went to a job as assistant at Leeds, Kerr to the Faroe Islands. Says it all about the last two managers really.

I disagree.

The Faroes job is a bit of a queer one to take on the surface, and it is interesting to hear people say a Macedonia or a Latvia would have been a better job - they're right. But, presumably they didn't come calling and the Faroes did, so Brian's taken it.

Bristol City manager Gary Johnson had a spell managing Latvia, which raised some eyebrows at the time, but a couple of good results and bringing players like Marian Pahars through got him a bit of a reputation. He then got into the English leagues, as Kerr said he would like to do after losing the Ireland job.

The Faroes aren't the world of the minnows, and they certainly have battling qualities, if nothing else. Kerr will be a success if he can get them out of the bottom set of seedings for qualification draws, in my eyes.

I don't think it is fair to say that Staunton worked as assistant manager at Leeds because of the repuation he built up as Ireland manager. It helped that he is well known in England, and it certainly helped that his friend Gary McAllister happened to be the one bringing him into the role.

In England, Kerr has no reputation, and I would imagine, few contacts as strong as Stan had. I'm unable to comment on why he didn't get a job back in the League of Ireland as I don't know much about it.

Duggie
06/04/2009, 3:08 PM
i think cork city's owners wanted to bring him in after before doolin took over. he was in talks i believe but didnt go for it. i suppose if you want to get back into football you gotten take whats on offer.

Macy
06/04/2009, 3:36 PM
I wish him the best.

He was doomed once Delaney took over. There's probably an arguement about results, and I doubt anyone would've had much complaint if someone decent had taken over, but then Delaney hand picked Stan. The behaviour of some of the senior players during Kerrs time was a disgrace, especially as it involved actually doing a professional job rather than the couple of days with the lads they craved. They share as much responsibility for that last campaign going out with a whimper as Kerr does.

back of the net
06/04/2009, 4:29 PM
Rubbish, I was delighted when he was appointed and really wanted him to suceed given that he'd come through the LOI.

But the fact is he wasn't up to the job and choked when the pressure was on. He had his chance and only managed 3rd and 4th from positions where the groups were winnable (Beat Russia at home and the swiss away for '04 and we'd have topped the group, hold onto leads away and home against Israel and we'd have topped the '06 group). It had fukk all to do with him not being British enough (:rolleyes:) or the RTE panel, his results weren't good enough. Some of the performances in big games, particularly the 2 Swiss games to try and make the play offs at the end of each campaign were as bad as anything Stan managed us to. And, had it not been for Shay Given our humiliation in Cyprus would have come 12 months earlier then it did.

I hope he does well for the Faroes but calling him a 'really good Ireland manager' is deranged.

agree 100% - he was not up to the senior job - but like every1 else , i wish the man well

Uncle_Joe
06/04/2009, 4:29 PM
Good Luck to Kerr,
Ive always believed that he was unfortunate not to do better with us than he did. I was happy with everything he did but in the end the players just were not playing for him. Says more about the players than him IMO.

Razors left peg
06/04/2009, 4:31 PM
Good Luck to Kerr,
Ive always believed that he was unfortunate not to do better with us than he did. I was happy with everything he did but in the end the players just were not playing for him. Says more about the players than him IMO.

A managers job is to get the players to play for him.... he failed badly

back of the net
06/04/2009, 4:31 PM
McCarthy inherited a team in far more of a transition then Kerr did, Kerr inherited a team that had just got to the 2nd round of the World Cup and been unfortunate to get knocked out of penalties. Add to that the fact that under McCarthy we never finished outside the top 2 in his 2 campaigns (and were incredibly unlucky not to top the '00 group) whereas Kerr came 3rd and 4th. That comparison that was trotted out about the amount of campaigns McCarthy was given never held water, we were going forward each campaign under him, under Kerr we went backwards (3rd then 4th).

and i 100% agree with that as well

Stuttgart88
06/04/2009, 4:43 PM
I always like to see Irish guys succeed in football. Good luck.

He didn't work out as manager, partly through bad luck but mainly beacuse he didn't keep the dressing room and results when they counted were poor. By the end of his last campaign it was obvious he'd run his course.

For those slating Trap for leaving out Andy Reid and others, people have to remember that Kerr regularly left out Steven Reid and Richard Dunne. His work ethic during his tenure was fantastic though and it's a shame given how much he did for the FAI over the years that his relationship with them led to no possibility of a lesser role than national team manager. As suggested above, I'd bite your hand off if you offered him as the U21 manager.

Stuttgart88
06/04/2009, 4:43 PM
and i 100% agree with that as wellMe too.

Razors left peg
06/04/2009, 5:50 PM
I always like to see Irish guys succeed in football. Good luck.

He didn't work out as manager, partly through bad luck but mainly beacuse he didn't keep the dressing room and results when they counted were poor. By the end of his last campaign it was obvious he'd run his course.

For those slating Trap for leaving out Andy Reid and others, people have to remember that Kerr regularly left out Steven Reid and Richard Dunne. His work ethic during his tenure was fantastic though and it's a shame given how much he did for the FAI over the years that his relationship with them led to no possibility of a lesser role than national team manager. As suggested above, I'd bite your hand off if you offered him as the U21 manager.

That was something I really did admire him for. I remember watching a Man Utd reserves game on MUTV one night and Kerr was there,Paddy Crerand commented that he was regularly seen up and down the country checking out his players on any night of the week in any weather. There was no player he wasnt aware of from the ages of 15 upwards Id say.
I do think it was a shame that he became so bitter after his sacking as manager because he was definately an asset to football in this country but because of his bitterness could never work with the FAI again in any capacity.I fully believe the top job was step too far for him and I regard his tenure are a failure but I wish him well in the Faroes job and hope it leads to something bigger for him.

eirebhoy
06/04/2009, 6:38 PM
I don't know what standards people are judging Kerr by if they're calling him a bad manager. Let's put it this way. The way we played in the 2006 campaign is how I'd expect a Sven Goran Erikson team to play. £4m Sven vs £50k Kerr.

If anything the Faroes are probably getting the biggest bargain in world football.

geysir
06/04/2009, 6:53 PM
I'd agree about the bargain bit, especially if he manages to get them a good discount on blank dvds in bulk.
I hope that puts an end to his whiny IT column, then I wont be forced to read it anymore.
He cuts an altogether different personality when he is positive and forgets about his chips for 10 minutes..

NeilMcD
06/04/2009, 6:59 PM
Who is forcing you to read it.

amaccann
06/04/2009, 7:01 PM

Fair point, though from what I remember, Kerr found himself knee deep in what was then the still-hot Saipan issue. So just on that alone it made the team "transitional", post-Keane if you will.

I think what Kerr asked of his players is not 100% away from what Trap is currently doing now & while Trap's getting away with murder and no small amount of luck, Kerr's campaign basically fell over because of not one, but two comebacks by Israel.

Looking at that 2006 Group 4 table right now, were those Israeli draws the wins they should have been (in part thanks to our late goal concession hoodoo), we would have topped the table :(

I'm not trying to totally defend Kerr here - like I said his team played boring football - but he didn't deserve to be as pilloried as he is.