PDA

View Full Version : Free entry for everyone to Cork City V Drogs on Tues

septern
03/04/2009, 11:24 AM
i thought we were broke, obviously not................
================================================== ====
Cork City FC take on Drogheda United at Turner’s Cross next Tuesday in what promises to be an exciting League of Ireland Premier Division encounter, and in order to play our part in beating the recession blues The Rebel Army are offering free entry to the game for all supporters.

Speaking to CorkCityFC.ie, Chairman Tom Coughlan said: “We recognise that people are facing tough times at the moment; you only have to look at the papers or turn on the radio or TV to see that people are struggling financially. As a football club which is rooted in the community, we feel an obligation to show some leadership and help to lift some of the doom and gloom and that is why we are offering the people of Cork the chance to come and watch City free of charge on Tuesday.”

Martinho II
03/04/2009, 11:34 AM
Cork City FC take on Drogheda United at Turner’s Cross next Tuesday in what promises to be an exciting League of Ireland Premier Division encounter, and in order to play our part in beating the recession blues The Rebel Army are offering free entry to the game for all supporters.

Speaking to CorkCityFC.ie, Chairman Tom Coughlan said: “We recognise that people are facing tough times at the moment; you only have to look at the papers or turn on the radio or TV to see that people are struggling financially. As a football club which is rooted in the community, we feel an obligation to show some leadership and help to lift some of the doom and gloom and that is why we are offering the people of Cork the chance to come and watch City free of charge on Tuesday.”

are you sure this isnt a april fools joke??

Longfordian
03/04/2009, 11:36 AM
Not sure how much difference it'll make being up against United-Porto in the Champions League. Doesn't seem to make alot of sense unless he's looking to impress somebody by showing them the great crowds Cork get.

Salmon Coloured
03/04/2009, 11:41 AM
Cork V Drogheda, the battle of the funny accents. May the team with the biggest mouth win. Looking like Cork to me.

SeanDrog
03/04/2009, 11:50 AM
IMO a crazy move, even if only 1000 turned up , it still cash in the bank, how many newbies would need to go to this game and then beocme regulars for any form of payback. At first sounds like a great PR job but commercially on a cost benefit platform, it looks a poor decision.

septern
03/04/2009, 11:53 AM
no, its not a joke

its been announced on the official site

http://www.corkcityfc.ie/main.php

maks no sense.
Our only home game this month where people will pay in is v Galway

Dodge
03/04/2009, 11:55 AM
Means cork only have one gate in April

Brave move (or stupid, we'll see)

Longfordian
03/04/2009, 11:56 AM
IMO a crazy move, even if only 1000 turned up , it still cash in the bank, how many newbies would need to go to this game and then beocme regulars for any form of payback. At first sounds like a great PR job but commercially on a cost benefit platform, it looks a poor decision.

Hardly likely to be a goalfest either is it in fairness?. Very strange.

SeanDrog
03/04/2009, 12:42 PM
Hardly likely to be a goalfest either is it in fairness?. Very strange.

a fair point hence if a newbie did go along, a predicted poor crowd (midweek and CL) and potentially a poor game - hardly going to warm them to el.

Dodge
03/04/2009, 12:48 PM
BTW just read that Cork are issuing €10 refunds to any season ticket holders to "compensate them"

Even if I couldn't believe a Cork fan would that stingy to claim the money, what exactly do they hope to acheive?

yiddo
03/04/2009, 1:22 PM
BTW just read that Cork are issuing €10 refunds to any season ticket holders to "compensate them"

Even if I couldn't believe a Cork fan would that stingy to claim the money, what exactly do they hope to acheive?

hook, line and sinker :D:D:D

marinobohs
03/04/2009, 1:26 PM

While it is great to see any initiative that will attract people to the game here, I think this might be taking things too far ! Really hope it works out for City but I am not sure it will.

I think there is a need for all clubs to look at admission prices - especially for less attractive games. bohs are now introducing a tiered "A" and "B" system with reduced entry for "B" games and it will be interesting to monitor how this progresses. "free in" may be taking things too far as people tend to value things based on cost but best of luck to all involved at City as at least it is an effort to boost attendances.

Dodge
03/04/2009, 1:27 PM
fair enough, but wouldn't put it past your fearless leader...

yiddo
03/04/2009, 1:30 PM
fair enough, but wouldn't put it past your fearless leader...

wouldn;t put anything past him ;)

Tis-smeee
03/04/2009, 2:39 PM
Very Brave move hope it goes well , its at least worth a try and I might be tempted to drive down myself , fair play Cork

tiktok
03/04/2009, 2:53 PM
Brave move (or stupid, we'll see)

I'd go with stupid, unless fearless leader has a rich potential buyer lined up and needs a decent crowd to impress [not that one will turn up anyway].

Longfordian
03/04/2009, 2:59 PM
Tommy No need for Bobs.

thischarmingman
03/04/2009, 3:02 PM
If you're going to go to the expense of having free entry into the game would it not be better to have the game on Monday so it doesn't clash with Champions League?

Roo69
03/04/2009, 3:44 PM
Having read the above, i think this is one of the worst things a club in the LOI could do. It totally devalues Cork as a football club and what they have to offer as a product. Even charging a euro entry would have been better. Personally i believe people will see this as Cork pretty much begging people to come and watch there games

thischarmingman
05/04/2009, 5:06 PM

Free entrance? Pah!

http://www.stpatsfc.com/news.php?id=2948

redobit
06/04/2009, 1:30 PM
Theres no such thing as a free lunch.

thischarmingman
06/04/2009, 8:47 PM
Theres no such thing as a free lunch.

It's more an after really, I mean, I'll certainly still be eating something before I go out...

Celdrog
07/04/2009, 9:09 AM
Can't see this achieving anything. Is it true we have to charge at least a tenner for adults?Someone our forum mentioned this. I remeber seeing in the FAI rule book that a match had to have an admission charge made.
It'd be fairly mad if there was a problem with a club trying to do something for the fans, free admission followed by a fine.
Mind you Doolo in the paper yesterday seemed bemused by it.

The word ‘play’ shall be understood to mean engage in a match or competition in which the number of players in each side is more than five and where a charge for admission is made.
http://www.fai.ie/pdf/FAI_Rule_Book.pdf
Mind you this is the only reference I can see to it. It doesn't call out free admsiion specifically, except for FAI members

brendy_éire
07/04/2009, 3:13 PM
Irish News said today that Cork have been told they must charge at least €10 admission.

passinginterest
07/04/2009, 3:18 PM
I remember Mick Wallace had an issue with the FAI from the very beginning as he only wanted to charge €5 into Youths games but the FAI insisted it had to be €10 minimum.

It looks like this is going to be another chapter in the Tom Coughlan is a farce saga.

holidaysong
07/04/2009, 3:28 PM
Last season, Sporting Fingal let everyone in free to their first home league game so it can be done.

Battery Rover
07/04/2009, 3:31 PM
Edited

Longfordian
07/04/2009, 3:35 PM
Yes but this is a league game.

Battery Rover
07/04/2009, 3:36 PM
Yes but this is a league game.

Apologies misunderstood. Edited above