PDA

View Full Version : Northern Ireland Alcohol

shedite
03/04/2009, 9:32 AM
We're havin a do over Easter and have a drinks budget of about €300. We reckon it'll go a lot further in the North so thinkin of driving there tomorrow to stock up. Where is the best place to buy alcohol, and how much is it liekly to cost? We're driving from Dublin. Newry seems the obvious spot but from the sounds of things that is packed each Saturday so think we may go on to Banbridge.

We'd be looking for about 400 bottles of beer and 10 bottles of liqour. At presetn Tesco and the likes usually do a 20 bottles for €20 of Bud or Carlsberg each weekend, and a bottle of liqour is about €28. How much cheaper is it in the North? Any reccomendations on where to go?

Magicme
03/04/2009, 9:46 AM
There is an off licence in Middletown, Armagh, just about 3 miles from Monaghan that does some great offers. Not 100% on what you would get for your money though.

Personally though I would go to Asda in Enniskillen as that is amazing value. I got a litre of Malibu there for £12 not so long ago and they do things like 3 bottles of wine for £10. Usually they have good deals on beer too and even though its their cheapass vodka it is nice and usually a litre around £9.00.

jinxy lilywhite
03/04/2009, 10:18 AM
My local O'Neills Costcutter is just on the border and does great offers and a great euro sterling rate. Take the exit at Junction 17 (Dundalk) on the M1 and then take a left to head for Castleblaney. Carry on down that road for 10 miles and it on the left hand side when you cross the border(the signs to signify the change from Km to Miles signifies the border).
if your not happy with the selection carry on further down to Culloville ,another 3m, and McAleavey's is a bigger off licence and more selection. Personally i find O'Neills better. Crossmaglen isn't far away and has a pretty good selection too.

Magicme
03/04/2009, 10:26 AM
Oh yeah forgot about O'neills. My friends family from Castleblayney got all their christmas booze there.

OwlsFan
06/04/2009, 4:42 PM
That's your second thread about alcohol, shedite. Are you fond of the stuff?

holidaysong
07/04/2009, 12:06 PM
O'Neills is indeed the place to go. Made two trips there in the 5 days I was home for Christmas.. :o

shedite
09/04/2009, 11:22 AM
Second thread bout alcohol? Think I posted one last year too bout Good Friday - suppose it's one of the few times a year I get 4 days off so fancy doing something with it.

Anyway, for those interested, went to some town bout 10 minutes beyond Newry. Found a Tesco. Pricew were..

15x440ml cans of Carlsberg for £6.
15x330ml bottles of Carlsberg Export for £6
8 bottle of Corona for £7
Litre bottle of Vodka for £14.

Reckon we spent about £150 for and got what would have cost about €400 in Tesco Dublin. Good day out! And another good day soon drinking it :)

holidaysong
10/04/2009, 11:22 AM
It must have been Banbridge you were in.