PDA

View Full Version : McShane must go!

Pages : [1] 2

the doc
01/04/2009, 8:53 PM
Great result tonight, but only serves to paper over the cracks!

McShane must be taken out of the team, just not upto standard, League 1 player at best who has got moves on the back of being selected by Stan.

On another point,Trapp got out of Jail tonight against 10 men, In reality it's only served to prelong the agony.

irishfan86
01/04/2009, 8:59 PM
No question McShane was probably the worst player on the pitch tonight.

The only worse performance was from the referee, not that I'm complaining!

Foley, a match fit Kelly, or even Carr would be a better option.

I was absolutely mortified when O'Shea went out wide and McShane slotted into the middle.

Jicked
01/04/2009, 9:03 PM
Say the_doc, is there anyone you could recommend as deserving a place in the squad? I'm lost for ideas as to other defenders who could fill in? Anyone at all spring to mind??

You must have been gutted when Robbie's goal went in?

amaccann
01/04/2009, 9:04 PM
The promise has come to nothing. Less than nothing. His presence on the pitch is a big fat liability & even the famous Irish graft works against him as he makes rash challenges (and we saw petulance from him too in the second half & in giving off to Keogh)

zenokelly
01/04/2009, 9:06 PM
Here here. I'd take Kelly or Foley ahead of that excuse for a pro footballer. Interesting to note that Trap had the 2 reserve right backs on the bench, pity he didn't start one of them..

Irish_Praha
01/04/2009, 9:15 PM
Foley needs to play in the friendlies before our next qualifier.
With what we have available McShane probably still deserves a place in the squad but should only be in the starting 11 when we are down to the bare bones. If Finnan comes back, Foley and O'Dea continue their progress and Kelly overcomes his bad patch then he shouldn't have a chance of getting near the team.

centre mid
01/04/2009, 9:17 PM
In fairness to McShane he looked more comfortable when switched to CH, but he is not an option at full back, he needs to have a his man in front of him.

Maroon 7
01/04/2009, 9:18 PM
He's desperately poor alright. At least at FB

Stuttgart88
01/04/2009, 9:18 PM
I think fair play to Trap (and eirebhoy) for making the JOS/McShane switch. Pity we didn't have a natural RB to start with.

OwenGoal
01/04/2009, 9:39 PM
Please tell me that was Mc****e's second yellow card

OwenGoal
01/04/2009, 9:44 PM
Please tell me that was Mc****e's second yellow card

The automatically-generated asterixes replace the S-H-A-N. Like you didn't know.

eirebhoy
01/04/2009, 9:53 PM
He was poor when he had to defend on the ground. He was well above par on the other aspects like passing and heading.

I don't really know who was at fault for the first goal. It's basically down to whether you feel himself or Keogh should have been marking the attacker or the Italian left back. Trap obviously would have told either McShane or Keogh to mark Grosso because he's one of the most attacking full backs in the world.

Overall I thought he had a decent game by his standards in that position (we know he's not a great attacker). He was 2 or 3 times more involved in the first half than Kilbane and I can't remember him misplacing a pass (pass, not cross). He's a weak link at full back though because of his pace, positioning in that position and the fact he's a poor attacker.

I just wish people would judge him seperately at full back and centre half. At one point Dunne missed a header completely. It went by McShane and the Italian had a decent chance but he also missed it. 3 players missed it. 2 Irish. But someone watching it with me puts all the blame on McShane.

Stuttgart88
01/04/2009, 9:58 PM
Keogh's poor control gave Italy possession. From that point on it was McShane's responsibility to guard that corner.

McShane is ok with everything infront of him. Once you start introducing angles he's in trouble. He doesn't like having the ball at feet either so it was clever of Trap to move the two.

eirebhoy
01/04/2009, 10:40 PM
I wonder if Finnan is unavailable for the Bulgaria game how the defence will line up. I think and hope he'll stick with McShane at centre half and O'Shea at right back. With McShane at centre half if he doesn't commit an error he's probably going to be contender for man of the match. At right back you're pretty much guaranteed an error or 2 and he's not going to offer much going forward. It's worth splitting the central defence up if we're going to stick with the same 4 defenders in Bulgaria.

pete
01/04/2009, 10:40 PM
His problem is he can't defend. His positioning is poor & he cannot tackle. He has had his chances. Time to sit on the bench.

Colbert Report
01/04/2009, 10:46 PM
In fairness, he did get forward quite a bit. He actually was playing right wing for a few minutes in the first half. I'm just watching the game again. Hunt's Ray Houghton impression was class.

McShane is not up to it, but don't think Trap doesn't know this. He's a centre back, not a full back, and that is quite clear after tonight. Until we have a better option at RB, like Finnan, or a fully fit an unretired Stephen Carr, he'll keep getting picked.

What is the deal with Carr? Surely he wouldn't turn down the chance to play in the World Cup would he?

kingdomkerry
01/04/2009, 10:53 PM
Good move by trap to but mcshane out of harms way. He got destroyed in the first half and got caught out several times.

The Legend
01/04/2009, 10:54 PM
What is the deal with Carr? Surely he wouldn't turn down the chance to play in the World Cup would he?

He probably would, he's a miserable 'ol b*stard!

noddy102
01/04/2009, 10:54 PM
Mc**** OUT!

Uncle_Joe
01/04/2009, 10:58 PM
I was absolutely mortified when O'Shea went out wide and McShane slotted into the middle

Seemed like the right call to me tbh. O'Shea gives more going forward and despite McShane's drawbacks, he and Dunne would always be expected to cope with 1 Italian forward

tetsujin1979
01/04/2009, 11:00 PM
It's hard to call who was more at fault for the Italy goal. McShane is clearly tracking his marker, who drags him out of position. Keogh lets his man free on the overlap. Should Keogh track his man, or stay with the player in possession? Should McShane stay in position, or track his marker?

fergalr
01/04/2009, 11:00 PM
Rediculous thread. Call yourself a supporter?

noddy102
01/04/2009, 11:02 PM
Rediculous thread. Call yourself a supporter?

What is wrong with wanting a player so poor to be dropped, especially when there is talent like Foley available. Give the man a chance against Nigeria.

fergalr
01/04/2009, 11:08 PM
Fine - then post a thread called "give Foley a run against Nigeria".

SwanVsDalton
01/04/2009, 11:22 PM
McShane was poor tonight. Regardless of who was at fault for the goal, Grosso destroyed him during the entire first half. Even after Italy had essentially stopped attacking and were merely lobbing balls over the top of McShane's head to Grosso who was simply running in tramlines. Grosso's a great attacking left back but come on - it's full back 101 to defend those situations and he got it wrong repeatedly.

But he did fairly well in the second like much of the team. He's a liability though. Stephen Kelly had a stinker against Georgia but he's a much more natural - and talented - full back. Poor form or no Kelly would have shackled Grosso at least a little bit.

And even more crucially Kelly is a proper attacking outlet. McShane was game for getting forward but the last time he seen a decent cross was at mass. Thankfully Trap spotted it and switched O'Shea, a slight attacking improvement.

tetsujin1979
01/04/2009, 11:26 PM
Grosso was completely negated by Stephen Hunt in the second half, he clearly didn't know how to handle the Reading winger

Maroon 7
01/04/2009, 11:29 PM
It's hard to call who was more at fault for the Italy goal. McShane is clearly tracking his marker, who drags him out of position. Keogh lets his man free on the overlap. Should Keogh track his man, or stay with the player in possession? Should McShane stay in position, or track his marker?

Only one choice to make. The player he was tracking was running away from goal. Grosso was running in behind him. At that stage he had to leave the player and track Grosso who was the immediate threat.

That said Keogh should never have let Grosso run free like that but McShane was guilty of player watching.

tetsujin1979
01/04/2009, 11:38 PM
Only one choice to make. The player he was tracking was running away from goal. Grosso was running in behind him. At that stage he had to leave the player and track Grosso who was the immediate threat.
So, McShane leaves Brighi (who is making a run to the corner of the penalty area) to watch Grosso. Since Grosso is being watched by McShane. Brighi receives the ball and crosses/shoots from the edge of the area. McShane gets criticism for tracking the obvious decoy Grosso, when Brighi is clearly a greater goalscoring threat

eirebhoy
01/04/2009, 11:42 PM
tbh the only reason we even think of blaming McShane for Grosso getting into that position is because McShane is the right back. But as you say McShane was marking their left midfielder Brighi. He can't stop marking him in that position until the pass is made. Grosso is the left back. It's up to Keogh to cover for Grosso's run forward in this situation.

Obviously a bit of blame can be put on McShane for allowing Grosso get the pass for the goal.

The incident:
http://www.zshare.net/video/5805590105cf6ecb/

I actually have a feeling Keogh is playing some sort of offside trap on line with McShane, forgetting there's defenders behind them. Just inexperience.

noddy102
01/04/2009, 11:46 PM
So if we excuse Mc**** for the goal, cane we excuse him for the other handful of incidents where they got in behind him on the left wing during the first half?

Was it just coincidental that Trap moved him to centre half for O'Shea?

If you guys think you can put McShane's inability to position himself properly down to a simple error of tracking back by Keogh then you have serious issues that need dealing with. MC**** IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH. Squad player without a doubt, but he is a liability when we need to rely on him.

Colbert Report
02/04/2009, 1:09 AM
how ****ed off would you be if you were mcshane? he was having a great year with hull, starting almost all their matches. he hasn't played a minute of premiership football since january 27. why did sunderland recall him? i'm assuming because they feared relegation and wanted hull to drop points and ultimately join them in the relegation fight? doesn't make any sense.

OwlsFan
02/04/2009, 8:29 AM
McShane can not be in two positions at the same time. The video clearly shows him tracking his own man while Keogh lets his man make the run in to the penalty area. McShane actually gets back to Grosso but doesn't stop the cross but who was supposed to be marking the scorer? Man of the Match Dunne ? No mention of this.

Fantastic display by the team against the world champions on their own patch. Great result and almost a win. Oh, if only that last chance had gone in.

macdermesser
02/04/2009, 8:49 AM
He probably would, he's a miserable 'ol b*stard!

saw him in Jury's before the Bulgaria game .. saw Keith Fahey too at the bar. Impressed that they made the effort to come over and watch the game and that they are fans too at the end of the day.

the doc
02/04/2009, 9:17 AM
McShane was poor tonight. Regardless of who was at fault for the goal, Grosso destroyed him during the entire first half. Even after Italy had essentially stopped attacking and were merely lobbing balls over the top of McShane's head to Grosso who was simply running in tramlines. Grosso's a great attacking left back but come on - it's full back 101 to defend those situations and he got it wrong repeatedly.

But he did fairly well in the second like much of the team. He's a liability though. Stephen Kelly had a stinker against Georgia but he's a much more natural - and talented - full back. Poor form or no Kelly would have shackled Grosso at least a little bit.

And even more crucially Kelly is a proper attacking outlet. McShane was game for getting forward but the last time he seen a decent cross was at mass. Thankfully Trap spotted it and switched O'Shea, a slight attacking improvement.

So how many games has it took Clap Trapp to finally realise McShane isn't good enough!
How the hell does he keep getting picked?

We need a manger that is proactive not reactive!

jmurphyc
02/04/2009, 11:06 AM
Wasn't it Keogh that actually gave away silly possession to start the move for the Italians? I haven't seen a full replay but that's what I initially thought. If that's the case then Keogh would be to blame for it more so than McShane.

Stuttgart88
02/04/2009, 11:33 AM
McShane can not be in two positions at the same time. The video clearly shows him tracking his own man while Keogh lets his man make the run in to the penalty area. McShane actually gets back to Grosso but doesn't stop the cross but who was supposed to be marking the scorer? Man of the Match Dunne ? No mention of this.

Fantastic display by the team against the world champions on their own patch. Great result and almost a win. Oh, if only that last chance had gone in.
Fair enough. To me it looked like McShane was culpable but at very least Keogh gave the ball away far to cheaply. I wouldn't blame Dunne, it was a good cross ball. One of my favourite types of goal to watch.

I wa delighted last night, this morning I'm feeling "if only".

dublinred
02/04/2009, 11:47 AM
Say the_doc, is there anyone you could recommend as deserving a place in the squad? I'm lost for ideas as to other defenders who could fill in? Anyone at all spring to mind??

You must have been gutted when Robbie's goal went in?

Would recommend Seamus Coleman he is on the verge of a breakthrough to the first team squad at Everton if he can get a few first team games before the end of the season defo would consider him, he will be the next long term fullback for Ireland , another option would be to move mcgeady back there.

Revies pitbull
02/04/2009, 11:58 AM
Hear hear, McShane was a waste of space last night..Liked the look of Folan as an attacking option though...

Jicked
02/04/2009, 12:32 PM
Would recommend Seamus Coleman he is on the verge of a breakthrough to the first team squad at Everton if he can get a few first team games before the end of the season defo would consider him, he will be the next long term fullback for Ireland , another option would be to move mcgeady back there.

Well the point I was making was that the_doc only started this thread for one reason, to champion Mr St Ledger yet a-f**king-gain.

Coleman's not yet ready to play such a key position, I do like him having seen him often in the LoI, but we really have to stop talking about throwing in players with no experience in to big games or big situations. And putting McGeady in to right back is also a no-go.

The Fly
02/04/2009, 1:37 PM

Sweet Jesus - that's one of most ridiculous suggestions I've 'heard' in a long time!

RoversHead
02/04/2009, 4:10 PM
How mc shane makes a living playing football is beyond me we have better defenders in loi ,he gets roasted every time he plays premiership or international

Razors left peg
02/04/2009, 4:15 PM
Im not a big fan of McShane.... but this thing of calling him Mc****e as some people have started doing is disgraceful.... This website hasnt become The Sun newspaper overnight has it???

TheRealMuller
02/04/2009, 5:16 PM
i am just wondering how did some scout ever think McShane would ever make it as a man utd player???

Dun Laoire
02/04/2009, 5:23 PM
Im not a big fan of McShane.... but this thing of calling him Mc****e as some people have started doing is disgraceful.... This website hasnt become The Sun newspaper overnight has it???

Totally agree. The guy is playing for his country with pride and can hold his head high as far as i'm concerned. What do people expect? Should he say "No I'm not good enough, pick someone else" when he gets selected? If you get called up to play, you play.

irishfan86
02/04/2009, 6:26 PM
i am just wondering how did some scout ever think McShane would ever make it as a man utd player???

As a centre-half I think he can be decent. And he bagged a lot of goals off set pieces in youth level...if you can score off set pieces and you're anyway decent teams will give you every chance to succeed.

carloz
02/04/2009, 6:32 PM
Christ lads some of you are going over board. Yes he is very very limited and is really not up to this level. But the lads gives blood and sweat and 110% effort. There is no need for the abuse of him

irishultra
02/04/2009, 6:46 PM
Well the point I was making was that the_doc only started this thread for one reason, to champion Mr St Ledger yet a-f**king-gain.

Coleman's not yet ready to play such a key position, I do like him having seen him often in the LoI, but we really have to stop talking about throwing in players with no experience in to big games or big situations. And putting McGeady in to right back is also a no-go.

coleman should have been in the squad for the friendlies whe n he was playing for sligo

tetsujin1979
02/04/2009, 7:17 PM
I saw him play against Switzerland for the U-21's and he was fantastic, the standout defender in the back four. The only other defender I remember from that night was Marcos Painter, he was ignoring everything he was being told to do and was playing his own game.
Ferguson said that McShane was a better defender at 19 than O'Shea was at the same time.

The Bunk
02/04/2009, 7:46 PM
I saw him play against Switzerland for the U-21's and he was fantastic, the standout defender in the back four. The only other defender I remember from that night was Marcos Painter, he was ignoring everything he was being told to do and was playing his own game.
Ferguson said that McShane was a better defender at 19 than O'Shea was at the same time.

The second half of last nights game was a perfect example of McShane. When Italy resorted to booting the ball up field, he was very capable of clearing the ball and challenging for every header, as he does give it 110% (like every other irish player). But his technical ability and general awareness is extremely poor, which was evident when Italy were pushing for a goal. He was out of his depth against the Lyon full-back (even when double teaming against him with Koegh). He is not good enough for international football, or any top league, and never will be unfortunately!

Before the match, Dunphy said that our biggest problems are Grosso, and our own right side: Keogh and McShane! How right he was

Den Perry
02/04/2009, 8:49 PM
Totally agree. The guy is playing for his country with pride and can hold his head high as far as i'm concerned. What do people expect? Should he say "No I'm not good enough, pick someone else" when he gets selected? If you get called up to play, you play.

I'm not his biggest fan(in fact in no way would i start him) but some of the abuse is a bit much. However, people are entitled to their opinions