31/03/2009, 9:26 PM
Goalless draws in 2008/2009:

English Premier League: 34
Ligue 1: 31
Eredivisie: 15
Serie A: 14
La Liga: 13
Bundesliga: 12

Mind you, the five-year average for Ligue 1 shows that 12.9% of games end 0-0. Sacre bleu! :eek:

Pike B
31/03/2009, 9:29 PM

Mind you, the five-year average for Ligue 1 shows that 12.9% of games end 0-0. Sacre bleu! :eek:
After watching my first game last Saturday, I have to say the under 8's league in Limerick is up there.. :D:D
We had 8 up front at one stage for God's sake, 8!!

irishultra
31/03/2009, 11:08 PM

thats because all other leagues dont know how to defend...said to me by some fat spoofer in a liverpool jersey

Bluebeard
01/04/2009, 9:57 AM
I didn't get the sarcasam until I opened the thread. I had been wondering alright why someone would put a thread about the League of Ireland First Division in World Football.

OwlsFan
22/04/2009, 8:59 AM
Not a bad game last night. Of course the Sky team almost had canaries about it and ignored many of the dross games we've seen.

eamo1
22/04/2009, 10:10 AM
Theres sooooooo many bad games in that league.MOTD dont sugar coat a game when showing highlights and will say it was a bad game.The premierships head cheerleader though Sky Sports will try paint even the worst game up to be "an intriguing contest":rolleyes:.Sky did pay over 1bn to be head cheerleader though so i guess they have to.

Junior
22/04/2009, 10:46 AM
I always remember an article in a Man Utd fanzine (Red Issue I think ) many many years ago probably not long after SKY started coverage.

THE THINGS THEY NEVER SAID........

Richard Keys - "Well Guys this is a bit of a dull affair isnt it?"

Mildly amusing at the time, with cheerleaders and fireworks etc. 100% accurate with hindsight!

Who'd have though that 15 years on its even worse than it ever was in those early years - this guy just has a permenant hardon for the EPL and wants us all to know it.

DeLorean
22/04/2009, 11:07 AM
The guys doing the matches for Sky on Gillette Soccer Saturday seem to call it as it is, both in the studio and at the grounds. It's seems to be just the games they're covering live that they go easy on.

Stuttgart88
22/04/2009, 3:11 PM
Martin Tyler at last night's 4-4 at Anfield: "They just don't have games like this in the rest of the world. No wonder the world's broadcasters are queing up to cover the English league".

brianw82
22/04/2009, 3:17 PM
Martin Tyler at last night's 4-4 at Anfield: "They just don't have games like this in the rest of the world. No wonder the world's broadcasters are queing up to cover the English league".

*cough* Bundesliga *cough*

Hmm, should get that cough seen to.

EalingGreen
22/04/2009, 3:34 PM
There is no doubt that the EPL is the subject of vast amounts of hype from Broadcasters and Press etc as to its quality and excitement.

That said, there has to be some explanation for the interest it receives from all over the world, to a greater extent than other Leagues.

And imo one of the explanations must be its attacking playing style - just as e.g. Serie A is known for its tactical expertise, or La Liga for its high technical skills levels.

Indeed, much of the commentary by the Continental Press after the recent Champions League Quarter Finals acknowledged this. I can't find the article summarising this which prompted me to post this, but the following spiel on the UEFA website does seem to bear this out.

http://www1.uefa.com/competitions/ucl/talkfootball/blogs/newsid=820396.html

It is hardly coincidence (imo) that of the 10 "Most Exciting" CL Knock-Out games since 1999, seven featured an English team, with two of those being an all-English affair.

Remember, too, that we get to see (are bombarded with?) virtually every EPL game i.e. the dross as well as the gems. Whereas, those Continental games selected for transmission in the UK/ROI tend more often to be the "big" games i.e. rarely the Spanish or Italian equivalent of Bolton vs Wigan, for instance!

P.S. Richard Keys is cringemaking at times, it must be said...

Mr Maroon
22/04/2009, 4:07 PM
rarely the Spanish or Italian equivalent of Bolton vs Wigan, for instance!

We don't get any Italian football on British or Irish TV. :mad:

dfx-
22/04/2009, 4:32 PM

Didn't watch Villareal 4-4 Atletico Madrid then. Goal in the first minute, goal in the 85th minute and six inbetween. There was even a drought of 22 minutes once :eek:

Or Atletico Madrid 4-3 Barcelona

Or indeed Atletico Madrid 3-2 Villareal

Red&White Rover
22/04/2009, 4:39 PM

I hate when I hear them hype up the league like that. Glad I wasn't the only one that noticed it.

It's a good league, by my god Sky sicken my hole, with their "Everything is great great GREAT!" philosophy.

eamo1
22/04/2009, 5:47 PM
I seen this documentary before which analysed the EPL as a business.A huge factor in its success is its credibility as reguards match fixing etc.Either theres no fixing going on or else they are doing a dam good job hiding it.Anyway,sponsors etc fled from Italian football and so did the fans too after some scandals.If a scandal ever broke about match fixing in the EPL the "product" would be in serious s*it.One could argue match fixing has been going on for years,at most man utd games:D.

OwlsFan
23/04/2009, 7:30 AM
The guys doing the matches for Sky on Gillette Soccer Saturday seem to call it as it is, both in the studio and at the grounds. It's seems to be just the games they're covering live that they go easy on.

Not sure I agree with that. While I enjoy the programme, Chris Kamara (Kami) says just about everything is "unbelievable" or "incredible" and the guys in the studio are primed to shout if there is any sort of incident in their game. Jeff Stelling is a great front man but he too can go ott on occasions and not just when talking about Hartlepool ;)

DeLorean
23/04/2009, 9:42 AM
Not sure I agree with that. While I enjoy the programme, Chris Kamara (Kami) says just about everything is "unbelievable" or "incredible" and the guys in the studio are primed to shout if there is any sort of incident in their game. Jeff Stelling is a great front man but he too can go ott on occasions and not just when talking about Hartlepool ;)

Ya Karama's just off his game though!! the rest of the guys ie. Merson, Chalrie Nicholas, Matt Le Tiss, etc. often give out about the game they got because it's rubbish.

jmurphyc
23/04/2009, 3:45 PM
Ya Karama's just off his game though!! the rest of the guys ie. Merson, Chalrie Nicholas, Matt Le Tiss, etc. often give out about the game they got because it's rubbish.

I doubt they'd give out about them so much if Sky were televising those particular games though.

DeLorean
23/04/2009, 3:56 PM

I doubt they'd give out about them so much if Sky were televising those particular games though.

Agreed

Junior
23/04/2009, 9:43 PM
I seen this documentary before which analysed the EPL as a business.A huge factor in its success is its credibility as reguards match fixing etc.Either theres no fixing going on or else they are doing a dam good job hiding it.Anyway,sponsors etc fled from Italian football and so did the fans too after some scandals.If a scandal ever broke about match fixing in the EPL the "product" would be in serious s*it.One could argue match fixing has been going on for years,at most man utd games:D.

Fair point, despite Grobbelaars and Hans Segers best efforts in the early years...........

Armando
24/04/2009, 6:11 PM

....meanwhile, at the exact same time on one of Skys other sports channels Real Madrid beat Getafe 3-2 in the most remarkable match I've seen all season - it had everything! Madrid trailing 1-2 late on. Guti scores a sublime free kick to make it 2-2, then in a moment of madness Pepe assaulted a couple of Getafe players giving away a peno in the process. Which of course was saved by Casillas (btw worst peno ever!). Deep in injury time 10 man Madrid score the winner courtesy of Higuain, an absolute rocket into the top corner. FANTASTIC STUFF:)

WexCar
24/04/2009, 8:17 PM
....meanwhile, at the exact same time on one of Skys other sports channels Real Madrid beat Getafe 3-2 in the most remarkable match I've seen all season - it had everything! Madrid trailing 1-2 late on. Guti scores a sublime free kick to make it 2-2, then in a moment of madness Pepe assaulted a couple of Getafe players giving away a peno in the process. Which of course was saved by Casillas (btw worst peno ever!). Deep in injury time 10 man Madrid score the winner courtesy of Higuain, an absolute rocket into the top corner. FANTASTIC STUFF:)

Pepe given 10 match ban for that

sky sports (http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11827_5233779,00.html)

DeLorean
24/04/2009, 8:19 PM
Pepe given 10 match ban for tat

sky sports (http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11827_5233779,00.html)

He actually got off pretty light so. Most mental sending off I've seen in ages.

Stuttgart88
25/04/2009, 2:31 PM
....meanwhile, at the exact same time on one of Skys other sports channels Real Madrid beat Getafe 3-2 in the most remarkable match I've seen all season - it had everything! Madrid trailing 1-2 late on. Guti scores a sublime free kick to make it 2-2, then in a moment of madness Pepe assaulted a couple of Getafe players giving away a peno in the process. Which of course was saved by Casillas (btw worst peno ever!). Deep in injury time 10 man Madrid score the winner courtesy of Higuain, an absolute rocket into the top corner. FANTASTIC STUFF:)saw it on youtube, geat stuff.

Of course the EPL is one of the most compelling leagues in the world but for Tyler to talk in such absolute terms is nonsense. I was thinking when he said it of the recent Madrid derby on SKY which was thrilling end to end high tempo stuff.

In fairness the atmosphere at Anfield was amazing but Anfield is a special place. OT was like morgue the following night and other countries like Gemany & Spain have really good fan culture too.