PDA

View Full Version : FAI Cup dates 2009

Rory H
31/03/2009, 5:50 PM
Any idea what dates the second and third rounds are on??

Battery Rover
31/03/2009, 6:17 PM
3rd Round is the week ending 14th June.

Dont see a date on my fixture list for the second round.

It must be all non and A league teams before the third round

Rory H
31/03/2009, 6:32 PM
Thanks a lot. Do you know the 4th round so?

Dunny
31/03/2009, 6:34 PM
Thanks a lot. Do you know the 4th round so?

Week ending August 16th.

Black and White
02/04/2009, 7:09 PM
RDS again I would think!

TheBoss
02/04/2009, 10:49 PM
When is the preliminary/first round ?

Dunny
02/04/2009, 10:53 PM
When is the preliminary/first round ?

Can't find a date for it. Maybe email the FAI.

TheBoss
02/04/2009, 10:55 PM
I have sent them quite a few email over the last months and quite rarely get a response for simple queries.

Dunny
02/04/2009, 11:01 PM
Nothing new there so, don't even know who is in the first round, Douglas Hall? Castlebar Celtic? etc.

TheBoss
02/04/2009, 11:25 PM
This is the list I have at the moment, can not be 100% sure though:

JUNIORS (4)
Iorras Aonthaithe (Erris United) (MAFL)
Ballymun United (D-AUL)
Clonmel Town (TSDL)
St Peters Athlone (CCFL)

INTERMEDIATES (15)
Fanad United (USL)
Newtown Rangers (LSL)
Kildrum Tigers (USL)
Rockmount (MSL)
Mayfield United (MSL)
Carrigaline United (MSL)
Blarney United (MSL)
Ringmahon Rangers (MSL)
St. Mary’s (MSL)
Malahide United (LSL)
Crumlin United (LSL)
Arklow Town (LSL)
Bluebell United (LSL)
Cherry Orchard (LSL)
Glenmore Dundrum (LSL)

'A' CHAMPIONSHIP (6)
Castlebar Celtic
Cobh Ramblers
FC Carlow
Salthill Devon
Tralee Dynamos
Tullamore Town

DmanDmythDledge
05/04/2009, 6:07 PM
UCD's intermediate team is in the 1st round of the FAI Cup. I think the format for qualifying has changed from last season.

sullanefc
05/04/2009, 6:25 PM
UCD's intermediate team is in the 1st round of the FAI Cup. I think the format for qualifying has changed from last season.

Surely a club can't have two teams in the same competition?? :confused:

DmanDmythDledge
05/04/2009, 6:48 PM
Surely a club can't have two teams in the same competition?? :confused:
Why not? It's our third team. Players can't be played on both teams so I don't see the problem.

sullanefc
05/04/2009, 6:58 PM
Why not? It's our third team. Players can't be played on both teams so I don't see the problem.

Its open to corruption. What if the two teams are drawn against each other? Its wrong.

pineapple stu
06/04/2009, 12:30 PM
They're separate clubs, essentially. Home Farm played Home Farm Everton a few years back; no-one complained. Players can't play for both teams. No issues with it at all. If we're drawn against each other, I'd imagine (hope!) our first team would beat our third team. And so what?

(Although the FAI did ban us before we told them to cop on; making the rules up as usual)

TheBoss
06/04/2009, 10:40 PM
http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4173

Row Z
07/04/2009, 8:09 AM
can anyone shed any light on why some intermediate teams and juniors have to play first round match's? and some are automatically into the 2nd round??? seems like a strange one....

pineapple stu
07/04/2009, 10:18 AM
There's 20 non-league teams qualify for the Cup proper. They all play each other, so ten progress which, added to the 22 league teams, gives 32 teams and a proper knock out.

When the A League teams got added in last year, that meant there were more teams to be knocked out. So say there's eight A League teams (haven't counted), you'd then have 28 in the (old) First Round, leaving 36 in the Second Round, which you can't have.

So byes are issues - I assume randomly, though I think the A teams are guaranteed to go through - to bring the number of teams in the Second Round down to 20.

prince20
07/04/2009, 10:38 AM
There's 20 non-league teams qualify for the Cup proper. They all play each other, so ten progress which, added to the 22 league teams, gives 32 teams and a proper knock out.

When the A League teams got added in last year, that meant there were more teams to be knocked out. So say there's eight A League teams (haven't counted), you'd then have 28 in the (old) First Round, leaving 36 in the Second Round, which you can't have.

So byes are issues - I assume randomly, though I think the A teams are guaranteed to go through - to bring the number of teams in the Second Round down to 20.

You were almost there with your analysis Stu except that its the luck of the draw as to who goes straight into the second round. Some of the A division clubs have been drawn in the first round which was made yesterday whilst some were lucky and have gone straight into round 2.