PDA

View Full Version : Predictions for rest of campaign

Bungle
31/03/2009, 12:51 PM
Italy 0 Ireland 0 (tense game but Ireland show guts and heart to eek out a draw)
Bulgaria 1 Ireland 1 (terrible game to watch with Ireland taking an early lead and throwing it away)
Cyprus 1 Ireland 1 (Ireland play awful and throw away a lead)
Ireland 1 Italy 2 (An Italian team already qualified gives chances to some young players. A good game but Ireland are undone on the break)
Ireland 2 Montenegro 1 (Better from Ireland and they just edge a dangerous Montenegran side)

Bulgaria 2 Cyprus 1
bulgaria 2 Georgia 0
Bulgaria 1 Montenegro 1
Bulgaria 1 Ireland 1
Italy 1 Bulgaria 0
Cyprus 1 Bulgaria 1

Ireland into play-offs as other groups are tight and we should avoid being the lowest 2nd place team. Maybe the heart is ruling the head but you have to hope don't you.:)

What do the rest of you think?

Duggie
31/03/2009, 12:58 PM
Italy 0 Ireland 0 (fingers crossed)
Bulgaria 0 Ireland 0 (fingers still crossed)
Cyprus 0 Ireland 1 (should take this one)
Ireland 1 Italy 1 (fingers still crossed)
Ireland 2 Montenegro 0 (goodnight montenegro)

weldoninhio
31/03/2009, 1:08 PM
Italy 0 Ireland 0 (tense game but Ireland show guts and heart to eek out a draw)
Bulgaria 1 Ireland 1 (terrible game to watch with Ireland taking an early lead and throwing it away)
Cyprus 1 Ireland 1 (Ireland play awful and throw away a lead)
Ireland 1 Italy 2 (An Italian team already qualified gives chances to some young players. A good game but Ireland are undone on the break)
Ireland 2 Montenegro 1 (Better from Ireland and they just edge a dangerous Montenegran side)

Bulgaria 2 Cyprus 1
bulgaria 2 Georgia 0
Bulgaria 1 Montenegro 1
Bulgaria 1 Ireland 1
Italy 1 Bulgaria 0
Cyprus 1 Bulgaria 1

Ireland into play-offs as other groups are tight and we should avoid being the lowest 2nd place team. Maybe the heart is ruling the head but you have to hope don't you.:)

What do the rest of you think?

Italy 3 Ireland 0 - media to say it is Irelands worst performance since the Staunton campaign. Midfield completely overrun.

Bulgaria 2 Ireland 1 - Go behind within first 30 mins, claw one back early second half, sit back and eventually get hit with suckerpunch between 75-85th min.

Cyprus 1 Ireland 1 - Robbie Keane penalty, Cyprus to score from long range with help of a deflection.

Ireland 0 Italy 2 - Again Italy prove too strong

Ireland 2 Montenegro 0 - Too little, Too late

With regard Bulgaria, i think they will win their home games, lose to Italy and get something from Cyprus.

CJTheGull
31/03/2009, 1:34 PM
In reality we really needed to beat a weak Bulgaria team to have our destiny in our own hands. To be honest I was so fed up leaving Croke Park on Saturday - every time the team just lets us down and it occured to me that it's like that after every single game we play.

I hate being negitive but really we are quite a poor side and we will proabably finish 3rd by the end of the group - I hope I'm proved wrong but there is absolutely no spark there. :(

Umberside
31/03/2009, 2:54 PM
Italy 0 Ireland 0 (fingers crossed)
Bulgaria 0 Ireland 0 (fingers still crossed)
Cyprus 0 Ireland 1 (should take this one)
Ireland 1 Italy 1 (fingers still crossed)
Ireland 2 Montenegro 0 (goodnight montenegro)

Italy 0-0 Ireland
Bulgaria 2-1 Ireland
Cyprus 1-1 Ireland
Ireland 1-0 Italy
Ireland 2-1 Montenegro

mypost
31/03/2009, 3:08 PM
Italy 0-0 Ireland
Bulgaria 3-0 Ireland
Cyprus 1-2 Ireland
Ireland 1-0 Italy
Ireland 1-0 Montenegro

That will give us 21 points from the campaign, and should be enough for a play-off place, despite the Sofia result.

Closed Account 2
31/03/2009, 3:57 PM
Italy 2-0 Ireland
Bulgaria 0-0 Ireland
Cyprus 1-2 Ireland
Ireland 0-1 Italy
Ireland 1-0 Montenegro

I think Bulgaria will drop points against Georgia and Cyprus in their remaining fixtures, I think we can still finish second simply because we are in a tight group with a lot of average teams of the same ability as us and so far, with 3 wins and 2 draws mathematically we've done reasonably well. I fear we might end up being the worst runners up though and even if we were not we'd need a huge crystal of luck to beat a play off opponent.

Here are the team's we'd be likely to face in a play off:

Denmark, Sweden or Portugal (probably Sweden)
Greece, Switzerland or Israel
any from group 3 except Dan Marino
Russia or Germany
Bosnia, Turkey or Belgium
Croatia or Ukraine
France or Lithuania
Iceland, Macedonia or Scotland

It will be tricky whatever happens.

mypost
31/03/2009, 4:17 PM
Bulgaria 2 Ireland 1 - Go behind within first 30 mins, claw one back early second half, sit back and eventually get hit with suckerpunch between 75-85th min.

Uncannily similiar to last time.

It seems the consensus is we'll get something out in Bulgaria. :rolleyes: They don't seem to have factored in the fact, we've always lost in Bulgaria, they'll have Berbatov back, it'll be extremely hot, very hostile, and our players will be tired after a long season.

To me, it will be our hardest game in the group, which is reflected in the score prediction.

weldoninhio
31/03/2009, 4:20 PM
Uncannily similiar to last time.

It seems the consensus is we'll get something out in Bulgaria. :rolleyes: They don't seem to have factored in the fact, we've always lost in Bulgaria, they'll have Berbatov back, it'll be extremely hot, very hostile, and our players will be tired after a long season.

To me, it will be our hardest game in the group, which is reflected in the score prediction.

And how do you explain the 4 points we take off Italy in your score prediction??

paul_oshea
31/03/2009, 4:22 PM
starting from the game against bulgaria we could end up with 3 points from these 3 games i.e. our next 2 and the game last saturday, bulgaria could end up on 5, not including the game in hand over us, which would then bring them to within 2 points of us. scary stuff, but at least we would only have cyprus away then though.

mypost
31/03/2009, 4:26 PM
And how do you explain the 4 points we take off Italy in your score prediction??

As predicted.

Those two games will be the most boring of the campaign.

weldoninhio
31/03/2009, 4:32 PM
As predicted.

Those two games will be the most boring of the campaign.

There is no way, unless Messi, Aguero and Dani Alves unearth irish ancestry and FIFA change the rules to let them play for us, that we will take 4 points from those games.

lionelhutz
31/03/2009, 4:48 PM
Italy 0 - 0 Ireland

Bulgaria 2 - 0 Ireland

Cyprus 0 - 1 Ireland

Ireland 1 - 1 Italy

Ireland 1 - 0 Montenegro

This would give us 19 points, which would probably leave us in second - Bulgaria to lose in Italy and draw away to Cyprus

It might leave us vulnerable to being worst second place though

mypost
31/03/2009, 4:56 PM
There is no way, unless Messi, Aguero and Dani Alves unearth irish ancestry and FIFA change the rules to let them play for us, that we will take 4 points from those games.

I remember similiar dire forecasts in 1990 and 1994, yet both games finished 1-0.

Ireland and Italy play the same way, and are not designed to attack. Both bosses know each other's tactics inside out. Trap will park the bus tomorrow night, and is easily capable of getting a point. At home, I fancy us to nick one, and then survive the rearguard reaction. Somehow.

weldoninhio
31/03/2009, 5:13 PM
I remember similiar dire forecasts in 1990 and 1994, yet both games finished 1-0.

Ireland and Italy play the same way, and are not designed to attack. Both bosses know each other's tactics inside out. Trap will park the bus tomorrow night, and is easily capable of getting a point. At home, I fancy us to nick one, and then survive the rearguard reaction. Somehow.

Unless you have a time machine or have cyrogenically frozen Paul McGrath/Roy Keane/Ray Houghton or players of their quality and are going to premier them tomorrow in Traps XI instead of McShane/Glenn Whelan/Stephen Hunt, i think you are wrong.

And i will have no problem coming in here tomorrow night after the game and saying i told you so.

DmanDmythDledge
31/03/2009, 5:15 PM
Lose all the away games and Italy at home, draw last game. That's only if Trap doesn't change things.

cobra
31/03/2009, 7:17 PM
Bulgaria 1 - 1 Cyprus
Italy 2 - 0 Ireland
Georgia 2 - 0 Montenegro
Cyprus 2 - 0 Montenegro
Bulgaria 1 - 1 Ireland
Cyprus 1 - 1 Ireland
Bulgaria 2 - 0 Montenegro
Georgia 1 - 1 Italy
Italy 0 - 0 Bulgaria
Montenegro 1 - 2 Cyprus
Cyprus 2 - 1 Bulgaria
Montenegro 2 - 2 Georgia
Ireland 0 - 1 Italy
Ireland 2 - 0 Montenegro
Bulgaria 2 - 0 Georgia
Italy 1 - 0 Cyprus

Italy - 24
Ireland - 16
Cyprus - 15
Bulgaria - 13
Georgia - 7
Montenegro - 3

John83
31/03/2009, 7:30 PM
Lose all the away games and Italy at home, draw last game. That's only if Trap doesn't change things.
Dman, if we get just one point in the remaining games, I'll eat my hat. And I don't even own a hat.

Pike B
31/03/2009, 7:33 PM
Italy 1-0 Ireland
Bulgaria 1-0 Ireland
Cyprus 1-2 Ireland
Ireland 1-1 Italy
Ireland 3-0 Montenegro

richieos
31/03/2009, 7:45 PM
Italy 0 Ireland 0
Bulgaria 1 Ireland 1
Cyprus 1 Ireland 3
Ireland 1 Italy 1
Ireland 2 Montenegro 1

Bulgaria 2 Cyprus 2
bulgaria 2 Georgia 0
Bulgaria 1 Montenegro 1
Bulgaria 1 Ireland 1
Italy 2 Bulgaria 0
Cyprus 1 Bulgaria 1

that would leave bulgaria on 14 points, and ireland on 20 and into a playoff
i can see this happening purely because we have duff, s.reid and finnan to come back into the team before this campaign is over

paul_oshea
31/03/2009, 10:17 PM
Dman, if we get just one point in the remaining games, I'll eat my hat. And I don't even own a hat.

so you will buy a hat and then eat it?

tetsujin1979
31/03/2009, 10:39 PM
One point in 5 games? I'll take that bet

stojkovic
31/03/2009, 10:48 PM
Italy 0 Ireland 0
Bulgaria 2 Cyprus 2

I think Cyprus might do us a favour tomorrow night aswell.

John83
31/03/2009, 11:22 PM
so you will buy a hat and then eat it?
Yes.

Probably a chocolate hat, to drown my sorrows in, well, chocolate, but nevertheless...

http://www.cocoawest.com/images/Jo%27s%20Hat%20DSC03923.jpg

Exactly.

mypost
01/04/2009, 4:02 AM
And i will have no problem coming in here tomorrow night after the game and saying i told you so.

Italy have won 1 game in 5 convincingly, last Saturday. They had to rely on an injury time steal in Cyprus, despite the fact they were playing part-timers. Are we part-timers? :confused:

cobra
01/04/2009, 7:23 AM
I think Cyprus might do us a favour tomorrow night aswell.

To be honest I would be more worried about Cyprus than Bulgaria

Straightstory
01/04/2009, 8:23 AM
Italy have won 1 game in 5 convincingly, last Saturday. They had to rely on an injury time steal in Cyprus, despite the fact they were playing part-timers. Are we part-timers? :confused:

I don't know why you have the strange idea that Cyprus are part timers.

backstothewall
01/04/2009, 5:26 PM
I predict that following a 0-0 draw in Dublin, it will all come down to the second leg of a play off in Belfast. Following a Kyle Lafferty goal, Glenn Whelan will equalise. That combined with a Spanish victory over Denmark in Seville will see us through.

Seriously though, I do have a felling that karma is sending us towards a playoff with the 6 counties.

tetsujin1979
01/04/2009, 10:50 PM
Yes.

Probably a chocolate hat, to drown my sorrows in, well, chocolate, but nevertheless...

http://www.cocoawest.com/images/Jo%27s%20Hat%20DSC03923.jpg

Exactly.
I want one hat. Eaten. Video evidence.
Your choice of dressing.

Colbert Report
01/04/2009, 11:00 PM
Ireland 1-2 Bulgaria
Cyprus 1-1 Ireland
Ireland 0-0 Italy
Ireland 3-1 Montenegro

Bulgaria 2-1 Ireland
Bulgaria 2-0 Montenegro
Italy 2-0 Bulgaria
Cyprus 1-2 Bulgaria
Bulgaria 4-0 Georgia

This would leave us on 17 points, Bulgaria on 19. The match in Bulgaria on June 6 is vitally important. A draw would do handily for us.

We simply cannot lose away to Bulgaria or Cyprus. I'd take a draw in each of those matches right now. I have a sinking feeling we're going to end up as the ninth best runner-up, because although Montenegro are the bottom seed in our group, they're good enough to be a fourth seed normally.

kingdomkerry
01/04/2009, 11:07 PM
I think we'll beat bulgaria away

Kingdom
01/04/2009, 11:38 PM
I predict that following a 0-0 draw in Dublin, it will all come down to the second leg of a play off in Belfast. Following a Kyle Lafferty goal, Glenn Whelan will equalise. That combined with a Spanish victory over Denmark in Seville will see us through.

Seriously though, I do have a felling that karma is sending us towards a playoff with the 6 counties.

I've been thinking the exact same thing. Provided of course we both don't go through as winners.

Footballs brilliant isn't it!

mypost
02/04/2009, 2:28 AM
Trap will park the bus tomorrow night, and is easily capable of getting a point.

i think you are wrong.

Ou est tu?? :confused::D

Deckydee
02/04/2009, 7:13 AM
Italy 0 Ireland 0
Bulgaria 1 Ireland 1
Cyprus 1 Ireland 3
Ireland 1 Italy 1
Ireland 2 Montenegro 1

Bulgaria 2 Cyprus 2
bulgaria 2 Georgia 0
Bulgaria 1 Montenegro 1
Bulgaria 1 Ireland 1
Italy 2 Bulgaria 0
Cyprus 1 Bulgaria 1

that would leave bulgaria on 14 points, and ireland on 20 and into a playoff
i can see this happening purely because we have duff, s.reid and finnan to come back into the team before this campaign is over

Does anyone have a timescale here???

culloty82
02/04/2009, 7:34 AM
Bulgaria 1-1 Ireland (like Saturday, we throw away the lead)
Cyprus 1-2 Ireland
Ireland 1-1 Italy (get off to a dream start, but can't hang on)
Ireland 1-0 Montenegro

With Bulgaria winning all their games, except for a draw in Italy, we pip them for the play-off by 20 points to 18. Wind up in a tricky tie against the North, rather than the dream draw of Bosnia.

Closed Account 2
02/04/2009, 9:25 AM
Bulgaria 1-1 Ireland (like Saturday, we throw away the lead)
Cyprus 1-2 Ireland
Ireland 1-1 Italy (get off to a dream start, but can't hang on)
Ireland 1-0 Montenegro

With Bulgaria winning all their games, except for a draw in Italy, we pip them for the play-off by 20 points to 18. Wind up in a tricky tie against the North, rather than the dream draw of Bosnia.

I wouldnt want to play Bosnia in a play off. They have a myriad of skillfull players (Ibisevic, Muslimovic, Berberovic, Edin Dzeko) who have shone in the Bundesliga for the last few seasons. They have a plethora of attacking players who can really hurt teams. They play most of their games in Sarajevo or Zenica and both stadiums have a white hot atmosphere on match day.

I think Spain will win that group but Bosnia could well pip the Turks to second place (they've still to play Turkey at home), the Bosnians have effectivly knocked out Belgium beating them home and away in the last few days. I think Spain won't win the match in Bosnia at the end of the campaign. Of the current occupants of 2nd places I'd fear Russia and Bosnia the most.

Duggie
02/04/2009, 9:34 AM
its to tricky to predict, there will be a few twists and turns yet. i still think we can top the group. fck the play - offs.

SkStu
02/04/2009, 2:33 PM
saw the Bosnian highlights from both games against Belgium - we do NOT want to face Bosnia. Dzeko looks a bit special.

Bungle
02/04/2009, 7:10 PM
i would hate to face bosnia, russia or serbia (France in that group possibly). There are a number of weakish teams out there and alot of groups where the points difference is low so if we can take about 6 points more from the group we should be okay.

Stuttgart88
02/04/2009, 8:11 PM
its to tricky to predict, there will be a few twists and turns yet. i still think we can top the group. fck the play - offs.I hope you're right.

We can look back at some lucky breaks we've got in this campaign but by the same token -McGeady's miss & the certain penalty denied in Monty, McGeady & Doyle's misses at home to Bulgaria, Keane's late chance last night...

I just feel we're leaving a bit too much out there to win the group. We need to be more clinical.

The Bunk
02/04/2009, 8:53 PM
its to tricky to predict, there will be a few twists and turns yet. i still think we can top the group. fck the play - offs.

I Agree! For me it is all depending on player fitness, if we are injury free then we can win the group. It's either 1st or 2nd, that's the situation here. We will not finish 3rd

John83
03/04/2009, 2:13 AM
I want one hat. Eaten. Video evidence.
Your choice of dressing.
We already have the point. We'd have to lose all of the remaining games for me to have to go hat shopping. I'm confident.

endabob1
03/04/2009, 7:15 AM
Ireland 1-2 Bulgaria
Cyprus 1-1 Ireland
Ireland 0-0 Italy
Ireland 3-1 Montenegro

Bulgaria 2-1 Ireland
Bulgaria 2-0 Montenegro
Italy 2-0 Bulgaria
Cyprus 1-2 Bulgaria
Bulgaria 4-0 Georgia

This would leave us on 17 points, Bulgaria on 19. The match in Bulgaria on June 6 is vitally important. A draw would do handily for us.

We simply cannot lose away to Bulgaria or Cyprus. I'd take a draw in each of those matches right now. I have a sinking feeling we're going to end up as the ninth best runner-up, because although Montenegro are the bottom seed in our group, they're good enough to be a fourth seed normally.

That's the crux, I did some best case/worst case scenarios and basically I think if we get 2 draws from those we'll get 2nd, with 17/18 points depending on the Italy game, where I think a draw would be another good result.
Whether that will be enough for us not to be the bottom 2nd place team remains to be seen.

mypost
03/04/2009, 7:32 AM
Ou est tu?? :confused::D

Hiding... :rolleyes:

Stuttgart88
03/04/2009, 6:13 PM
This group is actually shaping up to be like the Euro 88 qualification group.

3 uninspiring home perfomances (two 0-0s and a 2-1 win from behind against Luxembourg) before a classic home win and performance against our main rival.