PDA

View Full Version : Upcoming Downtimes

dahamsta
09/06/2001, 2:44 PM
phootball.com will be offline for a short while later today, while I try and fix the problem with spacing in posts with quotes.

This requires me to take the webserver down completely for a few minutes while I promote a new binary to the live environment. If there aren't any problems, it should only be down for a minute or two; if there are, it could be a little longer while I debug and, if necessary, re-enable the old binary.

The site will also be taken offline late tomorrow evening while I migrate the site to a new domain name and test it. This downtime will last for about ten minutes or so, and the webserver will be left running. You'll be redirected to the new domain name when I'm finished.

adam

dahamsta
09/06/2001, 4:45 PM
Well, the first one didn't work anyway... :)

adam

James
14/06/2001, 1:10 PM
whats going on with site getting progressively slower, as more users log on:confused: :confused: :confused:

dahamsta
14/06/2001, 1:34 PM
It's not down to users - if you watch the yokey down the bottom of the screen, you'll see that there's never more than ten or twenty users online at the same time. The problem is with the database server, it seems to be misconfigured on this machine. I'm working on it at the moment, which is why the site disappeared off the net a couple of times over the last few days, when I had to reboot the machine to clear up some processes I couldn't kill.

I'm going looking for seed capital for the site shortly, and if I'm successful I'll be buying a machine specifically for this site and co-locating it in Ireland. I have a few names in mind and I'm quite confident I'll get the funding we'll need to get the core of the site off the ground.

adam

James
14/06/2001, 1:47 PM
what kind of Db server r u using:confused:

Neil
14/06/2001, 2:43 PM
Did the clocks go forward an hour?

joe
14/06/2001, 2:56 PM
just wondering the same myself- are we on Latvian time now or something?

James
14/06/2001, 3:00 PM
yea special feature for the couple of weeks that are in it:D :D
make the metal people's spies that are undoubtedly scouring the sight for weaknesses on City's defence ( Daly hoof + Dereck Hoof ...ooop given the game away there :D ), feel more @ home. pity latvian time isnt an hour ahead though..it's more isnt it?

dahamsta
14/06/2001, 3:08 PM
Sorry, forgot to reset the time - again - after the reboot. James, the database server is MySQL. Everyone else - shouldn't all this be in Moderators/Administrators, or Development, or even Off-Topic.

Grumpy

Neil
14/06/2001, 3:10 PM
yep, it's an hour and a half...

joe
14/06/2001, 3:10 PM
i think it's 2 hours, maybe 3, but who ever left fact get in the way of a good joke, or even a poor one?

Neil
14/06/2001, 3:16 PM
Two fish in a tank. One says to the other....

"C'mere, do you know how to drive this thing or what?"

:D

joe
14/06/2001, 3:22 PM
Originally posted by adam
Everyone else - shouldn't all this be in Moderators/Administrators, or Development, or even Off-Topic.

Grumpy

you're the moderator - why don't you move it?

dahamsta
14/06/2001, 3:30 PM
Because, uh, I'm busy[1]? Anyway, you're an Administrator, so you can move it too!

Hey, like the way the time screwup inserted my post correctly in the right place? These forums are psychic as well as everything else! :)

adam

[1] Ok, because I couldn't be arsed, ok?