PDA

View Full Version : Dublin Suggestions

Junior
27/03/2009, 2:13 PM
If you had half a day spare in Dublin, what would be your top suggestions for something to do in order to keep you out of the pub!!

Something a little bit different.....cheers for any pearls of wisdom.....

passinginterest
27/03/2009, 2:15 PM
Loads of good museums and galleries if that floats your boat.

joe_barry80
27/03/2009, 2:15 PM
Guinness Brewery Tour :D

Go down to Howth do the Howth head walk starting at the Sutton end and finish up in the harbour with fish & chips in Beshoffs

Magicme
27/03/2009, 2:42 PM
Hit the shops. I'm female, its what I was born to do.

tetsujin1979
27/03/2009, 3:19 PM
Kilmainham Jail, well worth a visit
Phoenix Park - Papal cross, Aras, deer, etc

Weatherman
27/03/2009, 3:26 PM
Go to the body exibition in the ambassador. highly recommened and very intresting. its only going to be around for so long too so go soon!

thischarmingman
27/03/2009, 3:42 PM
Kilmainham Jail is one of the best museum/historical sites I've visited, it's superb what they've done there considering how it was left to ruin for decades, as well as being of great historical significance. You get a guided tour and get to see the actual prisoners where many famous, and not so famous, Irishmen were incercerated. Then afterwards have a pint in Donoughue's.

If you want something truly different- go see the mummified bodies at St. Michams on Church Street. The church itself is fairly ordinary, barring an organ that might have been played by Handel, but get the rather odd caretaker to take you below the church into the crypt where you'll get to see creepy old stacks of coffins in family burial chambers and well preserved remains dating back 400-500 years. Then afterwards have a pint in Sin E.

Dublin Castle is pretty interesting as the former seat of English power in Ireland. Get a tour of the main building then have a wander around the Chester Beatty gallery, admire all the Oriental and Islamic art and have a breather at the garden on the roof. Don't visit the Tax Museum but check out the Chapel Royal, which regularly shares screen space on TV with Jonathan Ryes Meyers in The The Tudors. Then afterwards have a pint in the Lord Edward.

Guinness brewery is fairly good but from what I remember there's about 7 floors to go through before you get the pint at the admittedly breathtaking bar at the top of the tower. It's a bit overrated. When you've seen your third manufacturing process you'll be wondering where the lift is though. The 360 degree view from the top and the section dealing with Guinness advertising make it worthwhile. Then afterwards have a pint in The Clock.

The National Gallery is free into and I guarantee is better then you would first think it would. I think it's a nice place just to walk into and have a wander around away from the noise of central Dublin. Don't try to see everything, just wander aimlessly- it's the best way, and check out the area dedicated to Irish artists. You can combine it with a picnic and a walk in Merrion Square or have a stroll around nearby Trinity College- check out the Book of Kells by all means but make sure you see and go into the Geography building before you leave (ask a friendly passing student and they'll point it out to you.) and have a picnic in the adjoining rose garden. Then afterwards have a pint in Cafe en Seine. Try not to grimace when they hand you the bill.

I'll try and add more when I have more time. :)

Junior
27/03/2009, 4:14 PM
Thats brilliant cheers comrades...keep them coming.

Charmingman - I said to keep me outta the pub - Ill be steamin after all that!!

thischarmingman
27/03/2009, 4:21 PM
Thats brilliant cheers comrades...keep them coming.

Charmingman - I said to keep me outta the pub - Ill be steamin after all that!!

I know but there's so many great pubs to check out as well!

alidiei
27/03/2009, 6:14 PM
If you had half a day spare in Dublin, what would be your top suggestions for something to do in order to keep you out of the pub!!

Something a little bit different.....cheers for any pearls of wisdom.....
go see the spike kid...:D:D:D

oscar
27/03/2009, 6:28 PM
get an earlier flight/train/bus

Wangball
27/03/2009, 9:25 PM
National Gallery is great, also the Bodies exhibit in the Ambassador is also well worth a look but my favourite is down Collins Barracks, so much interesting stuff down there

Ceirtlis
27/03/2009, 11:39 PM
Has anyone ever gone down the Four Courts for a look at whatever case is on on a given day. I always thought that could be interesting, but it is probably boring.

drummerboy
28/03/2009, 8:57 AM
First time ever in the Four Courts was when I was called for witness duty. There were 3 murder trials on at the time. My number was called but the defence lawyer objected to me. I hung around for a couple of day and watched the proceedings. Fascinating. Couldn't believe the callousness of some of the perpetrators (sp) who were all found guilty in the end.

Anyway back on topic anyone can walk in and watch whats goingon.

Billsthoughts
28/03/2009, 9:50 AM
on phoenix park you can rent bikes there for the day...then I would recommend cylcing all the way down the canal to through baggot stree and eventually you get to the sea...
speaking of the canal I love the paddy kavangh statue there..possibly one of my favs.
also cool is the church at the end of st anne street.and dublin castle I think is well worth a visit...
for the little magic me in your life you could bring her up to the designer market up behind the turks head....some cool stuff up there
georges arcade is also well worth a mooch and if ya need some food market bar does nice value for moneyish food..

Magicme
28/03/2009, 12:22 PM
God I forgot how much I love Dublin.

I used to work in Dublinia and it is an interesting place if you want to learn about the beginning of Dublin. If its a nice afternoon grab some chips from Burdocks near Jury's Inn and sit in the garden of Christchurch Cathedral or the little park at the front of Dublin Castle and enjoy them.

Agree that Collins Barracks is great, my kids particularly love it.

When I was in College I used to mitch off some days and head to the Four Courts and watch proceedings. Brill way to pass the afternoon esp if you have an interest in law.

Paddyfield
28/03/2009, 10:11 PM
Anytme I'm away from home, I like to take the tour of a local soccer stadium. The Nou Camp tour is the best that I've been to. In Barcelona, we got to sit in a directors box, visit the dressing rooms, soak up the history of the club in a multi-lingual video, take photos of the 90,000 seated arena and buy merchandise

I wonder is there a similar tour of Richmond Park?

drummerboy
29/03/2009, 10:17 AM
Anytme I'm away from home, I like to take the tour of a local soccer stadium. The Nou Camp tour is the best that I've been to. In Barcelona, we got to sit in a directors box, visit the dressing rooms, soak up the history of the club in a multi-lingual video, take photos of the 90,000 seated arena and buy merchandise

I wonder is there a similar tour of Richmond Park?

You could always take in the Croke Park Tour. And soon the new Lansdowne Tour.

hula4
31/03/2009, 2:27 AM
Has anyone ever gone down the Four Courts for a look at whatever case is on on a given day. I always thought that could be interesting, but it is probably boring.

the district courts would be very boring, very boring.

the circuit courts would be interesting enough if you were able to take in a trial.

the special criminal court would be the one to go to, would be murder trials etc