PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy McGeough sacked

eoinh
11/12/2003, 6:13 PM
What a bunch of idiots to do that.

could also mean John Frost is coming to city

Manager and captain want chance to stay on
By Pat Murray

FOLLOWING yet another extraordinary day at the RSC manager Jimmy McGeough and club captain John Frost appealed for the chance for the current side to remain together for the new season which will kick off in March.

Chairman Gerry O'Brien refused to comment on the future of the club or indeed the future of the players. Speaking seconds after the full time whistle John Frost gave his views on the past season.

“We did well all season and we were hoping to get a result here today because we put in a lot of effort all season and it would have been nice to win but it was not to be but we are not to unhappy.

“We piled on the pressure in the second half but Derry defended very well and fair dues to them.

“We are all looking forward to a rest now but in three or four weeks time we will be ready to rock and roll again and get stuck into pre-season training.

Hopefully the squad will be allowed stay together because we have something very good going here. “Maybe we will have to add a player or two to the squad but I firmly believe we are good enough to make a bold bid for Europe.

“If we are to achieve that aim we will need the backing of more fans coming through the turnstiles and the financial backing of people who are prepared to put money into the club because money does not grow on trees in the League of Ireland.”

John Frost has been linked with clubs like Shamrock Rovers and Cork City during the past few weeks but it was clear from his after match comments that he wants to remain on with his beloved Blues.

NO TEARS BUT EMOTIONAL

Not for the first time this season Jimmy McGeough was hugged and kissed by a large number of supporters.

Posters with the wording ‘Jimmy Must Stay’ were held aloft by supporters of both clubs which was truly amazing.

The scenes after the match brought back memories of the Bohemians game at the RSC when it looked at the time that Jimmy McGeough was on his way out of the club.

The little Belfast born man was once again overcome with the response he received from the fans.

“In one way I wish the season was only starting because the passion and spirit of the players is better now than it was some months ago.

“The players and the supporters are wearing me down with their love, and it is at times just too much to take. Even now as we talk the Derry supporters are mingling with the Waterford supporters and chanting my name.

“It's amazing, truly amazing. I feel I have been split down the middle but make no mistake about it my job is to re-build the glory days here in Waterford.

“I came back from America to do that and I intend to do just that given the chance. With everyone pulling together we will do just that believe me.'' When I asked him if he thought he would get the chance to bring the club back to the top Jimmy McGeough said “I sincerely hope so.

If I don’t get that chance I will be bitterly disappointed, as indeed will the supporters. “As John Frost said we have something good going here right now and we must be allowed to keep it going. If we are not given the chance a golden opportunity will have been lost.

“If it all falls apart we may never get the good times back, never,” concluded a highly charged and emotional Jimmy McGeough.

At the time of writing it was suggested that a mediator may be brought in to try and resolve the breakdown in communications between the manager and the chairman. Watch this space.

wablue
11/12/2003, 7:05 PM
BUNCH? WHAT THE **** DO YOU MEAN? THERE'S ONLY 1 DOING THE STUPID **** AND THATS GER O BRIEN.

C UN T OF THE SEASON GOES TO: GER O BRIEN
FOR ****ING ON ALL HIS CLUB SUPPORTERS

tiktok
11/12/2003, 9:03 PM
absolutely disgraceful sacking.

liamon
12/12/2003, 10:35 AM
Won the first division and a decent first year in the top flight.
Backed by the supporters and players.
What more do you want from your manager?

Who would want that job now?

Wouldn't be surprised to see a few players leave after that.

Still, Alan Reynolds should fit into such a club very well. ;)

niamh
12/12/2003, 12:27 PM
That news was a bit of a surprise! What more do you want from a club in their first season up? They did alright, they survived when many people had them pegged as relegation fodder.

pete
12/12/2003, 1:14 PM
I dunno who is in or out of contract but looks like open season on the Waterford squad.

Dunno anything about what happening behind the scenes but promotion followed by mid table in the 10 team premier ain't half bad.

A face
16/12/2003, 12:33 AM
Waterford fans gather in protest

Around 300 fans of Waterford United have come together in an official alliance in order to protest against the decision of the club’s board to remove team manager Jimmy McGeough from his duties during the week.

McGeough was dismissed on Thursday evening, despite leading the club to the First Division championship and to a highly creditable sixth place in their first season in the top flight in his two full seasons in charge.

Speculation had been growing over the latter part of the season that his days in charge were numbered, and a new management structure was put in place back in September which saw Giles Cheevers and Richard O’Connor join McGeough in a triumvir charged with looking after team affairs.

Read more at www.eleven-a-side.com (http://www.eleven-a-side.com/premier/story.asp?newsid=8987)

Forzza_Sticky
08/01/2004, 6:25 PM
Originally posted by pete
I dunno who is in or out of contract but looks like open season on the Waterford squad.

Dunno anything about what happening behind the scenes but promotion followed by mid table in the 10 team premier ain't half bad. Waterford United Manager Jimmy McGeough (Who still has a contract untill end of June 2004) has called for a high court injunction on Waterford United stopping the club from appointing a new manager untill the present crisis in the club is finally resolved.

Forzza_Sticky
08/01/2004, 6:31 PM
Originally posted by A face
Waterford fans gather in protest

Around 300 fans of Waterford United have come together in an official alliance in order to protest against the decision of the club’s board to remove team manager Jimmy McGeough from his duties during the week.

McGeough was dismissed on Thursday evening, despite leading the club to the First Division championship and to a highly creditable sixth place in their first season in the top flight in his two full seasons in charge.

Speculation had been growing over the latter part of the season that his days in charge were numbered, and a new management structure was put in place back in September which saw Giles Cheevers and Richard O’Connor join McGeough in a triumvir charged with looking after team affairs.

Read more at www.eleven-a-side.com (http://www.eleven-a-side.com/premier/story.asp?newsid=8987) up to to-day Jan 8th 2004 the Waterford united action group aka "Forzza United" have had 5 meetings with supporters and on Thursday 15th Jan they have invited as many share holders to attend a meeting with supporters.

Forzza_Sticky
08/01/2004, 6:33 PM
Originally posted by wablue
BUNCH? WHAT THE **** DO YOU MEAN? THERE'S ONLY 1 DOING THE STUPID **** AND THATS GER O BRIEN.

C UN T OF THE SEASON GOES TO: GER O BRIEN
FOR ****ING ON ALL HIS CLUB SUPPORTERS
I can understand the anger and frustration your having too.

Forzza_Sticky
08/01/2004, 6:39 PM
Originally posted by eoinh
What a bunch of idiots to do that.

could also mean John Frost is coming to city

Manager and captain want chance to stay on
By Pat Murray

FOLLOWING yet another extraordinary day at the RSC manager Jimmy McGeough and club captain John Frost appealed for the chance for the current side to remain together for the new season which will kick off in March.

Chairman Gerry O'Brien refused to comment on the future of the club or indeed the future of the players. Speaking seconds after the full time whistle John Frost gave his views on the past season.

“We did well all season and we were hoping to get a result here today because we put in a lot of effort all season and it would have been nice to win but it was not to be but we are not to unhappy.

“We piled on the pressure in the second half but Derry defended very well and fair dues to them.

“We are all looking forward to a rest now but in three or four weeks time we will be ready to rock and roll again and get stuck into pre-season training.

Hopefully the squad will be allowed stay together because we have something very good going here. “Maybe we will have to add a player or two to the squad but I firmly believe we are good enough to make a bold bid for Europe.

“If we are to achieve that aim we will need the backing of more fans coming through the turnstiles and the financial backing of people who are prepared to put money into the club because money does not grow on trees in the League of Ireland.”

John Frost has been linked with clubs like Shamrock Rovers and Cork City during the past few weeks but it was clear from his after match comments that he wants to remain on with his beloved Blues.

NO TEARS BUT EMOTIONAL

Not for the first time this season Jimmy McGeough was hugged and kissed by a large number of supporters.

Posters with the wording ‘Jimmy Must Stay’ were held aloft by supporters of both clubs which was truly amazing.

The scenes after the match brought back memories of the Bohemians game at the RSC when it looked at the time that Jimmy McGeough was on his way out of the club.

The little Belfast born man was once again overcome with the response he received from the fans.

“In one way I wish the season was only starting because the passion and spirit of the players is better now than it was some months ago.

“The players and the supporters are wearing me down with their love, and it is at times just too much to take. Even now as we talk the Derry supporters are mingling with the Waterford supporters and chanting my name.

“It's amazing, truly amazing. I feel I have been split down the middle but make no mistake about it my job is to re-build the glory days here in Waterford.

“I came back from America to do that and I intend to do just that given the chance. With everyone pulling together we will do just that believe me.'' When I asked him if he thought he would get the chance to bring the club back to the top Jimmy McGeough said “I sincerely hope so.

If I don’t get that chance I will be bitterly disappointed, as indeed will the supporters. “As John Frost said we have something good going here right now and we must be allowed to keep it going. If we are not given the chance a golden opportunity will have been lost.

“If it all falls apart we may never get the good times back, never,” concluded a highly charged and emotional Jimmy McGeough.

At the time of writing it was suggested that a mediator may be brought in to try and resolve the breakdown in communications between the manager and the chairman. Watch this space. I agree 100% and only Jimmy McGeogh could have got 2 sets of fans to chant together which is a very very very rare thing to happen in Soccer Worldwide these days.

Martinho II
08/01/2004, 7:20 PM
If Jimmy goes(and hopefully not) what is going to happen with next season? That Ger O Brien is a bloody disgrace and if nothing is done to resolve the situation, dont be suprised to see a walkout en masse to support the manager and Waterford to go down.

Strangely enough, it reminds me of the time we sacked Martin Lawlor a few days before the 2002/03 started so I know where ye are coming from.

JIMMY MUST STAY!