PDA

View Full Version : Mascots

longfordjames
26/03/2009, 6:00 PM
Just people are talking about this in that fingal thread.We had one a few times?Who else has one?

pól-dcfc
26/03/2009, 6:14 PM
We've got one. And some cheerleaders.

Absolute waste of time. I'll probably get pillored by other Derry fans for saying this, but the mascot is woeful, and I can't see how it appeals to even children. Most of the wains in the Brandy are happier shouting dogs abuse at the players than waving to the mascot.

The cheerleaders are a total joke as well. I normally stand right in front of where they perform, and they just get in the road. The dances are hillariously bad too. We already have several heads who lead the cheers, so we don't need a bunch of jailbait* wee girls jumping around with pom-poms.

*I wouldn't by the way.

longfordjames
26/03/2009, 6:20 PM
What is the mascot?

sligoman
26/03/2009, 6:28 PM
Ours is Benny(after Benbulben) the bull

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/70/Sligo_rovers_mascotte.jpg

Dunny
26/03/2009, 6:42 PM
Lily The Panda

http://www.dundalkfc.com/images/Gallery/Marshes/Marshes3_810.JPG

pól-dcfc
26/03/2009, 7:04 PM
What is the mascot?

It's a tiger. Called "Our Mucker".

See, we wear stripes, and tigers have stripes. It should be a giant candy cane, or just some walls. Stationary walls. Called Jerry Smalls the Derry Walls.

Sam_Heggy
26/03/2009, 7:10 PM
We just ran a competition with local schools in which the kids drew their mascots and the winning class got season tickets to Harps.
The winner was announced at our recent United legends game.

Its a Collie dog (strange as I would have thought Derry would have had a dog as their mascot and not us), I suppose it plays on the fact its a sheep dog so.......................

Paddywhackspurs
26/03/2009, 8:55 PM
Leo the Lion....... A Legend

http://www.limerickfc.ie/Fanzone/lightbox/index.html

gufc2000
26/03/2009, 9:03 PM
Terryland Tiger has been absent for a while but will be making his comeback for the Bohs game on April 7th

BobtheDrog
26/03/2009, 10:14 PM
a lion, possibly called leo aswell. not sure if he's aound this year tho

dcfcsteve
26/03/2009, 11:03 PM
It's a tiger. Called "Our Mucker".

See, we wear stripes, and tigers have stripes. It should be a giant candy cane, or just some walls. Stationary walls. Called Jerry Smalls the Derry Walls.

As re my post on the other thread - it harks back to a BBC1 NI documentary about the club in 1986 called 'The Candystriped Tiger'

dcfcsteve
26/03/2009, 11:05 PM
We've got one. And some cheerleaders.

Absolute waste of time. I'll probably get pillored by other Derry fans for saying this, but the mascot is woeful, and I can't see how it appeals to even children. Most of the wains in the Brandy are happier shouting dogs abuse at the players than waving to the mascot.

The cheerleaders are a total joke as well. I normally stand right in front of where they perform, and they just get in the road. The dances are hillariously bad too. We already have several heads who lead the cheers, so we don't need a bunch of jailbait* wee girls jumping around with pom-poms.

*I wouldn't by the way.

Agree our cheerleaders aren't up to much.

The Bohs tabloid cheerleaders, on the other hand......:eek:

Magicme
27/03/2009, 10:10 AM
Mons have a Football head as a mascot. We dont have a name for him at the mo. He goes down really well with the kids and when he was in the St Patrick's day parade in Monaghan he got a great reaction.

I would have been one who was against the idea of mascots originally but small children especially love them.

http://www.loi.ie/index.php/clubs/first-division/monaghan-united/latest-news/355-mons-participate-in-st-patricks-day-parade

Ash
27/03/2009, 10:16 AM
We have a "Leo The Lion" too ... as a lion make up part of our crest.
Think someone puked in the head though so we didnt have a voulenter for a while!!!

All clean again now so should have someone lined up for the season

Longfordian
27/03/2009, 10:23 AM
Interesting form of protest at some of your displays.

Jofspring
27/03/2009, 10:27 AM
so how many leo the lions are there in irish football.....3...4...mybe more.

Mad Moose
27/03/2009, 8:26 PM
Leo the Lion....... A Legend

http://www.limerickfc.ie/Fanzone/lightbox/index.html

I don't think I ended up looking at the mascot so much as yer wan he's got with him. Then I noticed her attempt at kicking the ball. She seems to be struggling until I notice the reason why.She's kicked the mat. Not a bad pair of legs though.

Blue-Army
28/03/2009, 12:41 AM
Barney and Homer Simpson were Blues Mascots a few years back!

davidatrb
28/03/2009, 1:26 PM
Barney and Homer Simpson were Blues Mascots a few years back!

Steve Capail is a Horse.

Dodge
28/03/2009, 2:32 PM
We have one called Paddy the Panther. Looks a bit weird.

Used to have one called "Supersaint the Bear"

Oh and Bord na Mona became our sponsors in 1990, we had Pete Briquette as a mascot too :D

I don't mind them. They're not there for me and if a few kids like them, fair enough

christo
29/03/2009, 2:32 AM
Steve Capail is a Horse.

I think what dave is trying to say here is that Kildare had a moscot about two seasons ago called Steve Capail, who was a horse

longfordjames
29/03/2009, 12:09 PM
where is stevie capall now?

Magicme
29/03/2009, 3:08 PM
Put out to stud?

superfrank
29/03/2009, 4:09 PM
Rocky the Seagull. He's crap at penos.

Roo69
30/03/2009, 3:12 PM

:D I remember some smart arse fan shouting at the bear to give Pat DOlan his jersey back a few years ago when they were standing beside each other, the place cracked up :D

stann
30/03/2009, 6:52 PM

:D
I remember that, quite a bizarre non-sequitur. Or just some lazy, lazy people involved in naming him.

For our lot, Barney and Homer Simpson weren't mascots in the normal sense, just some blokes poncing about in big suits. Oh, hold on...

Point is they were just the costumes that crowd had to hand, they could just as easily have been two different characters.
Try as I might I can't recall us ever having a proper mascot.

pete
30/03/2009, 9:58 PM
Oh and Bord na Mona became our sponsors in 1990, we had Pete Briquette as a mascot too.

Best name ever :cool:

Dundalk mascot looks like Sexual Harassment Panda. :D

http://www.belch.com/img/sexpanda.gif

Can't remember what ours is called. Some sort of Echo (Evening Newspaper) bear... We did have a green 'thing' before also.

The Lilywhites
30/03/2009, 10:18 PM
We have one called Paddy the Panther. Looks a bit weird.

Who was on duty last Friday? Looked like a bear :confused: