PDA

View Full Version : Series 4 Previews

Magicme
26/03/2009, 11:08 AM
Monaghan United -v- Mervue United

This week end sees the arrival of a new team to the 1st. Division – Mervue United. It will be the Galway side first visit to Kingspan Century Park. Like us they are have only amassed just one point from the opening games of the season. They came close to causing a shock on Friday night last when they led Finn Harps one nil at the half time interval; however a mistake with only a few minutes to go allowed Harps back in.

This is the second only meeting between the two sides, Monaghan United were only in their third season in the League of Ireland when they went to Terryland Park in 1988 and came away with a 2-1 victory over Mervue in the 4th. Round of the FAI Cup. Seamie Finnegan (manager of the Ladies side) is the only link of that team left at the club.

This is a must win game for Monaghan United if we are to get our season kick started. In the opening three games we have met probably two of the best sides in the Division in Shelbourne and UCD each of whom would see themselves as promotion material. In both games United showed that they were a match for either of them and would count themselves unfortunate to have been beaten by Shels.

Having been the better side in the opening 20 minutes against UCD they went down by 3-0 in the finish the third goal coming just before the full time whistle. But not many teams will collect points at the ‘Bowl’ this season. For the UCD game United were without the services of Sean Brennan and Aaron Mooney both suspended. Mick Cooke will have learned a lot from these games, the squad would only have been at the stage of getting to know each other and I believe that he is now in a position to put a number of results together.

For Friday nights game Mick should have a full panel. It is a good team as they displayed to the home support against Shelbourne . For our first home game of the season there was a good turn out of supporters and it was great to see some of the older faces back. So hopefully we can have more of the same on Friday for what should be Monaghan United’s first win of the season.

Kick off at Kingspan Century Park at 8.p.m.

Injuries and Suspensions

Suspended : none
Injuries : none

Results of Last fixtures

Div 1 Longford Town 3 3 Monaghan United
Div 1 Monaghan United 0 1 Shelbourne
Div 1 UCD 3 0 Monaghan United

Next 5 Fixtures

Sat Apr 4 Limerick v Monaghan United 7.45.p.m.
Fri Apr 10 Monaghan United v Sporting Fingal 8.p.m.
Sat Apr 18 Waterford United v Monaghan United 7.p.m.
Fri Apr 24 Monaghajn United v Kildare County 8.p.m.

Sat May 2 Athlone Town v Monaghan United 8.p.m.

Managers Quotes

“I was disappointed with the final result at the Belfield Bowl on Friday night. We started well and I felt we controlled the first quarter. Even after they scored the first two goals I believe we were still well in it and if we could avoid conceding a third goal we could get the score back. In the second half we did succeed until the dying minutes in keeping it at 2-0, however with that score line they could sit back and we found it difficult to break them down. In ties like last Friday’s it is important to get the first goal and had we succeeded in doing so when we were dominant in the first quarter, I believe it would have been a totally different game and we could have got a result.
It is great to have two tough fixtures behind us. I have learned a good deal about the squad from both these games between Shelbourne and UCD it showed up both the weaknesses and strengths and can go into the next fixtures in a more positive mood.

First up on Friday are Mervue United, they are new to the 1st. Division and will be out to prove that they merit their place, they will be no push over as they proved against Finn Harps last week end when they were unlucky not to gain their first victory. This will be only the second every meeting of the sides, in 1988 on Valentine’s Day Monaghan United had their first win ever in a FAI Cup match at Terryland Park against Mervue. They have a very astute manager in Johnny Glynn who gained them promotion last year.

I am confident that we can get our season kick started with a good result. I hope we have a good turn out of supporters on Friday.

Congratulations to our No.1 Supporter – James Mc. Caffrey in his win in International Bowling in England and also in being selected as Fermanagh Person of the Month.”

Ezeikial
26/03/2009, 11:16 AM
26th March 2009: ST PATRICK'S ATHLETIC V DUNDALK MATCH PREVIEW
http://dundalkfc.com/images/2009/ChrisTurner_CelticA_810.jpg

Dundalk travel to Richmond Park on Friday night hoping to build on last Friday’s 3-0 win over Drogheda United. St Patrick's Athletic have recovered from their opening day defeat at home to Galway with two wins on the road in Cork and Sligo to reaffirm their position as one of the favourites for the league title.

Team News
Dundalk have no injury worries for the game. Liam Burns was taken off early in the second half against Drogheda as a precaution after taking a slight knock but has trained fully all week.

Simon Kelly returns following a one-match suspension.

There is still no resolution with regards to Michael Collins’ availability. That issue is still with FIFA and Dundalk FC remain hopeful for a positive outcome in the near future.

Sean Connor Comments

“It’s going to be a very tough match. We have everybody fit and Simon Kelly will be pushing for a place back in the side after his suspension. We have worked hard all week but everybody had a spring in their step in training after the win last Friday. We thought we were unlucky not to come out of the Bohs match with some points so the players are keen to show that they are a good side against another one of the top sides in the league. It’s a huge challenge. It is no surprise to me that St Pat’s have bounced back from their defeat by Galway on the opening day. They were not at full strength that day but Jeff has now got two outstanding away victories. I am sure they want to put on a show in front of their home fans. But we will have a very large traveling support and we will be looking to put on a good performance for them also. We didn’t perform in our last away game in Galway so Friday is a great chance for us to put that right and to build on our win last week.”

Chris Turner
“It was a great win last week. To get three points on the board was a big plus for us. We were disappointed not to get anything from the first two games. Now we have St Pats in Richmond Park on Friday night which is going to be very tough. But we are hopeful of getting a result. I am enjoying my football. Last week we played a very attacking formation that allowed myself and George to get forward with Michael Daly doing a great job sitting in front of the defence. Whatever formation the Gaffer puts us in should not matter too much. It’s not formations that wins games – it’s players. We have good players here so if we have good movement and passing it should allow us to get forward. The Pat’s game will be difficult as they have many talented players. We go into every game hoping to win it. We certainly want to get some points out this game and try to get an unbeaten run going. “

Simon Kelly
“I am hoping that I can get into the team obviously. But, to be honest, the lads played so well last week that I will be happy to get a place on the bench. It’s a very solid defence and will be very hard to break into. I am enjoying the step up from First Division football. There is a major difference. Fitness wise the gap is very big. I am benefitting a lot from the full-time training that Sean has introduced. I am much fitter than last year or at any stage in my career. Having played in the First Division for Dundalk since 2003 it’s big games like Friday night at St Pats that excite me. I am sure the fans will be looking forward to it also and hopefully we can give them something to cheer about”.

http://dundalkfc.com/news/090326_Pats.asp

harps1954
26/03/2009, 11:23 AM
Finn Harps v UCD – FAI League of Ireland First Division – Finn Park, Friday 27th March, 2008 – kick-off 8.00pm

by Joe Doherty

Team News: Conor Gethins will line-out for Harps for the 100th time in Friday’s game against top of the table UCD at Finn Park (kick-off 8.00pm). Both sides have made unbeaten starts to the campaign, with the students bringing a 100% record to Finn Park. Harps will be hoping to continue their own run, having already won one and drawn two of their three games to date.

Finn Harps Manager, Paul Hegarty, will have to plan without Marc Brolly as the midfielder suffered torn ankle ligaments in a training session during the week and is expected to be unavailable for the best part of two months. Ian Rossiter (thigh) missed last week’s 1-1 draw with Mervue United, but he should be available for selection on Friday.

Barring any further injuries, Harps will have the same squad at their disposal for the EA Sports League Cup Preliminary Round game against Kildrum Tigers on Monday evening. Even though the Ulster Senior League Champions obtained home advantage in the draw, the game will be played at Finn Park with a 7.45pm kick-off as Kildrum’s Station Road was deemed unsuitable by an FAI Inspection team. Finn Harps are the only League of Ireland side who will play in the Preliminary round.

Harps Assistant Manager James Gallagher on the 1-1 draw with Mervue United last Friday: Conor (Gethins) saved us and popped up right at the death. I thought it was a lost cause but we battled on in the second half after a poor first half, and we got our rewards in the end thanks to a great finish. The defence was caught out of position for their goal, and just before that a cross came into the box from the same area. But for the goal Gavin (Cullen) got a touch and unfortunately it fell to Davd Goldbey who finished well.

James Gallagher on Friday’s game with UCD: UCD are going well this season. Three wins from three is a good start although I think if we had a little bit more about us, especially in Kildare, then people might have been talking about our great start. We’ve not done badly and this is a very young side, who are getting better all the time. I know Mick Russell well and I expect his team to play some neat and attractive football with a good workrate. They might be young, but they have a good few years experience in the Premier Division and we’ll respect that. But with the likes of Conor Gethins, Michael Funston, Shaun McGowan, Gavin Cullen and Marc Mukendi, we have a few players who know this league and the younger lads are getting more familiar with it all the time.”

Previous Meetings:
05-Aug-05 UCD 1 Finn Harps 1 (Premier Division)
05-Nov-05 Finn Harps 1 UCD 2 (Premier Division)
02-Jul-07 UCD 2 Finn Harps 1 (League Cup)
21-Mar-08 Finn Harps 1 UCD 0 (Premier Division)
30-May-08 UCD 1 Finn Harps 0 (Premier Division)
05-Sep-08 Finn Harps 2 UCD 0 (Premier Division)

Form guide (last six league games):
Finn Harps: W-L-W-D-W-D (11 pts)
U.C.D: L-L-L-W-W-W (9 pts)

Finn Harps Goalscorers this season:
Conor Gethins – 2
David McDaid - 1

Finn Harps Results so far this season (Harps goalscorers in brackets):
20th March – Mervue United 1-1 Finn Harps (Gethins)
14th March - Finn Harps 1-0 Longford Town (Gethins)
7th March - Kildare County 1-1 Finn Harps (McDaid)

Youths4Ever
26/03/2009, 12:50 PM
Wexford Youths V Longford Town (http://www.wexfordyouthsfc.ie/longfordpreview091.html)

People links so much easier for people to find what looking for.

sligoman
26/03/2009, 1:00 PM
Galway Vs. Rovers (http://www.sligorovers.com/content/view/729/1/).

Cook: “We’re going through a little spell at the moment where we don’t really look like winning - but football is about working hard and keeping your head down and things can change quickly. I thought we started the game well, but at the minute we don’t look like we’re going to keep a clean sheet and that’s a worry.
“We’re trying different formations at the minute and we’re trying to get the best out of the players we’ve got in the squad. It’s easy to say who is not available and who has left the club but you’ve got to look forward.
We need a result and we have to get one quickly.”

passinginterest
26/03/2009, 1:00 PM
I think links defeat the purpose of the thread. It's nice to have all the previews in one thread rather than having to click external links.

Some people don't like clicking on other clubs sites.

Youths4Ever
26/03/2009, 1:05 PM
I think links defeat the purpose of the thread. It's nice to have all the previews in one thread rather than having to click external links.

Some people don't like clicking on other clubs sites.

I realise not everyone may want to visit club websites but thread becomes very long very quickly and hard to find preview looking for. Also it helps clubs by visiting there websites the more hits a site gets the easier to sell advertising etc

GlasnevinRed
26/03/2009, 1:57 PM
http://www.shelbournefc.ie/news.php?id=1151

Shelbourne v Limerick FC

Shelbourne’s fourth match of the season is at home Limerick FC, who broke all Shelbourne hearts with that 93rd minute goal that consigned the Reds to another year in Division One. The match takes place in Tolka Park on Friday, with an 8pm kick-off.

The Tolka Park outfit go into this game with full points from three games and sharing the top spot in the League Table with UCD, whereas Limerick have a win, a draw and a loss. At this time of the season when teams are still getting used to the opposition, manager Dermot Keely will not allow his charges take anything for granted and will, one would imagine, remind them of that result on November 15th last.

On the suspension front, Darren Meenan is once again available for selection having missed two weeks because of yellow cards received last season, while David McGill sits this one out, serving the second of his two week, again for misdemeanours last season.

The only person missing through injury is Stephen Quigley, who is still suffering from a calf injury picked up against Monaghan United two weeks ago.

Form
League: WWW
All: WLWDWWLWWW

Previous Results between the sides:

April 25:- Limerick 0 – 3 Shelbourne
July 11:- Shelbourne 0 – 2 Limerick
Sep 12:- Limerick 1 – 2 Shelbourne
Nov 15:- Shelbourne 1 – 1 Limerick

April 27:- Shelbourne 1 -1 Limerick
June 29:- Limerick 3 – 2 Shelbourne
Sep 01:- Shelbourne 4 – 0 Limerick
Nov 02 :- Limerick 2 – 1 Shelbourne

gufc2000
26/03/2009, 3:51 PM
Match Previews
Scene set for first Connacht derby of season

Thursday, 26 March 2009
Fans attending Galway United’s televised clash with Sligo Rovers on Friday night have been asked to arrive early for the first Connacht derby of the season as a big crowd is expected at Terryland Park.
And supporters have been asked to note the earlier kick-off time of 7.35pm to facilitate RTE’s live coverage of the game.
Galway United boss Ian Foster has no new injury concerns as his side bids to maintain their unbeaten start of the season.
United will be without skipper Jay O’Shea who is on duty the with Republic of Ireland U-21 side, while vice-captain John Russell is continuing his recovery from injury and will be back in action soon.

Martinho II
26/03/2009, 5:43 PM
www.ltfc.ie

Wexford Youths Preview
Today, 12:29PM

A first win of the season after a 4-0 trouncing of Kildare County but nobody in the Longford Town squad is getting carried away, least of all manager Alan Gough.

“It's our third game of the season, our second home game and too early to be getting carried away,” Gough told ltfc.ie, “but I really felt it had been coming. We had the draw at home to Monaghan and were unlucky to lose against Finn Harps so things have been coming together. That defeat in Ballybofey really galvanized the team.

“We've been together 11 weeks, though it was just the third game and the lads are starting to gel together. I've been delighted with lads all along and while it's nice to win, we've had to park it and worry about the next game. The players have been very professional in that regard.

“People have to remember we have a very young squad, with the exception of Brendan Murphy, Ray Kenny and Jim Sheridan, and I'm extremely happy with the way it's coming together. There's no point in getting carried away with results just yet.

“We'll have good days and we'll have bad days, but the important thing is we all stick together. I was delighted with the way the supporters got behind the team last weekend. There will be positives and negatives this season, hopefully there will be more positives than negatives,” continued the manager, who admitted that lessons were learned following the collapse of a three-goal lead against Monaghan.

“We hope to learn lessons from every game but certainly the Monaghan game taught us something. There was no need for a team talk at half time. We knew what the situation was and that Kildare would come right back at us. But Jim scored again and that finished it off as a contest more or less.

Friday night sees the Town travel to Ferrycarrig Park to take on winless Wexford Youths, another tough assignment according to the boss.

“There are no easy games in this League. Wexford have started reasonably slowly but we had them watched last week and they played very well against Sporting Fingal, who are certainly one of the stronger sides in the division. They have some very good players and Mick Wallace will have them very well organised.”

While eager to stay focused, Gough did admit that last Saturday night at Flancare Park was a memorable occasion.

“I rarely disclose what is said in a dressing room, but I told the players after the game that it was a special moment for me. Whether I'm in the game until next week for for another 30 years I'll always remember my first win as a manager. I said in the programme notes that leading the team out for the first time against Monaghan was a real honour and I meant it, but that result and performance will stay with me forever.”

Alan Gough was speaking to Eamonn Donohoe

Paddyfield
26/03/2009, 9:28 PM
The game in Terryland is the Battle of the Scousers because both managers (Cook and Foster) are from Liverpool.

Schumi
26/03/2009, 10:40 PM
http://ucdsoccer.com/index.php?a=225

UCD go to Finn Park tomorrow with a 100 percent winning record, thanks in part to four goals in three games from Ciaran Kilduff. "He's made a positive contribution to the side," said UCD manager Martin Russell. "I'm happy with how all of the team is playing and we're going to try and keep it going."

Ciaran Nangle is a slight doubt for UCD's trip to Finn Harps on Friday. Nangle picked up a knock in a reserve game during the week. Greg Bolger is also slightly doubtful as he continues to recover from injury. The last week saw John Dineen return to training following an injury.

Despite the strong start, Russell knows his charges face a tough challenge on Friday. "They're [Finn Harps] unbeatean at the moment. We'll be going up there respectful of them but also trying to concentrate on our strengths," said the UCD manager.

KildareFan
27/03/2009, 10:11 AM
Kildare County v Sporting Fingal

http://www.kildarecountyfc.com/?p=1007

Thomas Donnelly

Talented Irish under 18 international Orrin Farrell is in the Kildare County squad for the first time this season as manager Thomas Donnelly prepares for the visit of Sporting Fingal on Friday night at Station Road (KO 7.30).

Edenderry youngster Farrell broke into the Kildare team at the back end of last season and went on to make eight appearances. He clearly caught the eye of Irish under 18 manager Sean McCaffrey and he won three under 18 international caps at the Limoges tournament in France last October.

However, a broken collarbone slowed the 17 year olds progress causing him to miss most of pre-season but he is back in contention for his first appearance of the season.

Also included in tonight’s squad are new signings Noel Byrne and Benny Langan. Both were part of Coill Dubh’s team that progressed to the quarter final stage of the LFA Junior Cup before eventually losing on penalties to St. Kevin’s Boys last Sunday.

Although both players only joined in training this week, “Cooper” will have no problem in throwing them in for their debut against Sporting.

“Once there are no problems with their registration, both players will be in the squad for tonight’s game,” said the County boss on Thursday evening.

There isn’t such good news on Dave O’Riordan - pictured left - who will again miss out tonight as well as long term absentees David O’Connell, Trevor Bowers and John Flynn. Colin Murray is also facing a couple of weeks on the sidelines although Matty Byrne came through last week’s game against Longford unscathed.

Donnelly is expecting a tough game against big spending Sporting, “They are the most talented squad in the league and I think they could easily hold their own in the Premier Division. All we can do is go out and try to be as hard to break down as we can and then try to be creative when we have the ball and hopefully we won’t give away any poor goals like we have done in the last couple of weeks.”

County found themselves three goals down in the opening 22 minutes last week against Longford Town and Donnelly stressed the importance of keeping things tight early on, “We want to keep things as tight as we can for as long as we can. As long as it’s nil all or even if concede the first goal and there is only one in it then we are in with a shout. They are a full time outfit so it’s hard to compete when we are only training a couple of nights a week. They are full of experienced, quality players and we have mainly young lads still learning at this level but we’ll go out and try to make things difficult for them.”

The two teams have met on four previous occasions and Kildare County are still searching for their first win against Liam Buckley’s team. Sporting Fingal won two of those games last season and the other two ended in a draw but since then Sporting have become a full time outfit and have drafted in top class players like Eamon Zayed, Stephen Paisley and Gary O’Neill. Having such players, it’s no surprise that they are the bookies odds on favourites to win the First Division league title this season.

This undoubtedly will be one of Kildare’s toughest games of the season and they will need all the support they can get. Once again, please note that this weekend’s game takes place on Friday night because of the Irish international on Saturday and kick off at Station Road is at 7.30pm.
Strengthened

County’s record against Sporting Fingal- Click on score to match report

Total 4 0 2 2 3 - 7 -4
Date Comp. H / A / N Final score Stadium Attendance
24.10.2008 Division 1 A 0 - 2 Santry Stadium
22.08.2008 Division 1 H 1 - 1 Station Road
19.06.2008 Division 1 A 2 - 2 Morton Stadium 250
11.04.2008 Division 1 H 0 - 2 Station Road