PDA

View Full Version : Replica shirts

shedite
25/03/2009, 1:41 PM
What's peoples thoughts on replica shirts? I was a big fan of them growing up (Fair enough they were expensive but given the amount of time I spent in them, they were a bargain), but they just seem silly on grown ups.

This goes for all shirts (Irish league, premiership, international), but I think once you get past about the age of 18, you shouldn't be wearing them aside from on matchday (either as a supporter or playing 5 a side stuff). Over 18, you can wear them to a match or training, but not with a name on the back. Does anyone else find it creepy seeing another man's name on someone's back?

As for goalkeepers jerseys, I reckon about age 12 is where they should stop.

Bit of a random thread, but am bored at work today and saw a grown man with a "Lampard Chelsea" shirt while out at lunch and it just looked wrong. Any thoughts?

Ash
25/03/2009, 1:56 PM

What if your a goalkeeper and wear a goalkeeper jersey to match/training/5-a-side?
Is that Ok?

Pike B
25/03/2009, 2:00 PM
What's peoples thoughts on replica shirts? I was a big fan of them growing up (Fair enough they were expensive but given the amount of time I spent in them, they were a bargain), but they just seem silly on grown ups.

This goes for all shirts (Irish league, premiership, international), but I think once you get past about the age of 18, you shouldn't be wearing them aside from on matchday (either as a supporter or playing 5 a side stuff). Over 18, you can wear them to a match or training, but not with a name on the back. Does anyone else find it creepy seeing another man's name on someone's back?

Bit of a random thread, but am bored at work today and saw a grown man with a "Lampard Chelsea" shirt while out at lunch and it just looked wrong. Any thoughts?
Disagree entirely. What is wrong with wearing your teams shirt with your favourite players name and number on the back?
I've noticed it's a big deal with blokes in my town aswell, they would wear the shirt, but never get a name on it. It's a load of crap really. Americans are doing it with NFL shirts for decades, and I have several shirts with names on them. I know it bothers some people, but I don't care what they think.
Each to his own etc..

irishultra
26/03/2009, 3:48 PM
well i love my barca jersey with iniesta on the back, and i'm nearly 18, and ill still wear it forever.

seand
27/03/2009, 8:11 AM
Personally, at 33, I'd be embarassed to wear a jersey displaying the name of 'my hero'. And I'd no longer wear a replica jersey in a non-football scenario, though I would have until a couple of years ago.

That said, is wearing a Gerrard or Lampard jersey any sadder than wearing a U2 or Stone Roses concert t-shirt?

Pike B
27/03/2009, 8:28 AM
Personally, at 33, I'd be embarassed to wear a jersey displaying the name of 'my hero'. And I'd no longer wear a replica jersey in a non-football scenario, though I would have until a couple of years ago.

That said, is wearing a Gerrard or Lampard jersey any sadder than wearing a U2 or Stone Roses concert t-shirt?
Nope..

brianw82
29/03/2009, 12:42 AM

The only places to which I'd wear my Rovers jersey are a Rovers match, the gym or while playing footy (these 2 are because it's obviously good for exercising). I just don't like the idea of people gawking at me, trying to make out what team's shirt it is.