PDA

View Full Version : You don't expect to get anything down there!

rebel yell
29/09/2001, 10:07 AM
These are the words of Bobby Browne before the game has even been played. I think Pete Mahon of Bohs said a similar thing after
the Bohs game this year as many others have in the past. I know
it's a subject more suited for a University Thesis but maybe fellow
City fans can help me out?
1) Where exactly does this myth of invincibilty come from? Does
anyone know exactly what our home record is in ALL competitive games?
2) Which factor contributes most, the crowd? pitch? distance for away team to travel?
3) Can other EL clubs lay similar claims to the claim of away teams
not getting anything at their grounds? If so which ones? And what have they got in common with us?
4) Does it annoy u to hear this , given what I even as a city fan would say the club's few trophy successes means we really are mediocre underachievers?
5) Put yourself in the shoes or boots of opposing teams/fans. What would u feel about an away trip to the X?
6) Why are such teams( invincible at home) really poor overall.
In England Sheffield Utd are always hard to beat at home but they too have a mediocre history. Southhampton are another example.
7) Someone please please tell me( and Gunther!) why Dundalk always beat us despite our so called fortress. Haven't they heard
about it? If not, I think they should be told.:confused:

Peadar
29/09/2001, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by rebel yell
These are the words of Bobby Browne before the game has even been played

Bobby Browne doesn't expect to get anything anywhere!

Monaghan United PL9 W0 D3 L6 F4 A18 GD-14 PTS3
His best chance is to play on the underdog tag and hope that something happens. If they lose he was an honest manager who was realistic about his teams chances. If they win then it was a fantastic victory down at the "fortress".
If we don't win by at least two goals then we will have to settle for a good run in the cup this season.

pete
29/09/2001, 10:44 AM
:confused:

Peadar
29/09/2001, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by rebel
Huh? :confused:

Go back to bed Pete. :D

pete
29/09/2001, 12:15 PM
The "huh"? was directed at rebel yell (cos you just got your post in b4 me) as i'd no idea what the was & still don't :confused:

Go back to bed Pete.

No beds at work :(

Neil
29/09/2001, 12:26 PM
No beds at work :( [/B]
He must have thought you worked at a matress factory...?

Peadar
29/09/2001, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by neil

He must have thought you worked at a matress factory...?

I forgot that Pete can sleep at his desk.
If you weren't such a lazy basta Pete you wouldn't have to come into work on a Saturday.

pete
29/09/2001, 12:56 PM
I forgot that Pete can sleep at his desk. If you weren't such a lazy basta Pete you wouldn't have to come into work on a Saturday.

Says the guy who has to work thru the night cos he didn't get his work done ;)

Peadar
29/09/2001, 1:09 PM
Says the guy who has to work thru the night cos he didn't get his work done ;)

It's the pot and the kettle Pete.
Don't know where you got the cat from.
My advice, take to the DSPCA shelter.

The reason I have to work through the night is because we have to bring down the e-mail systems during the migrations so it needs to be done outside office hours and fully functional again by 08:00 Monday morning.
You're only fooling yourself anyway Pete, going in on a Saturday and spending the day on the Internet means that you'll be no better off on Monday. No more mid-week trips to City games for you.

rebel yell
29/09/2001, 4:00 PM
Sorry if my point escaped everyone. I wasn't just talking about Monaghan- as Bohs also made the point about hard to get anything in Cork and they won! And if we are such a 'fortress'
why aren't we winning everything. You have to admit away teams do fear coming to the X. And my point again, if this is so, why is our record in winning trophies so mediocre?

pete
29/09/2001, 6:21 PM
why is our record in winning trophies so mediocre?

Because in 2 of the last 3 years when we had chances of trophies the team bottled it in the big games. We lost 3 times to pats in the league in the season it came down to the Hanlon ref performance in Richmond! IMO in those seasons our away record was much more impressive. I think the Dublin teams think they fear the X as its the rare they travel so far for a game.

You're only fooling yourself anyway Pete, going in on a Saturday and spending the day on the Internet means that you'll be no better off on Monday. No more mid-week trips to City games for you.

Still stuck in work as s/w release due yesterday! Almst 40 hours work in last 3 days :(
If only all the mid-week games were next month would have had no problem making them as will have more days in lieu than I know what to do with ;)

joe
29/09/2001, 11:16 PM
If only all the mid-week games were next month would have had no problem making them as will have more days in lieu than I know what to do with ;)

why not hold onto them for the cup replays and European trips.

pete
30/09/2001, 1:36 AM
why not hold onto them for the cup replays and European trips.

Given i'm still here (just finishing up) should have enough time built up to make any trips i want too except hours get kinda reset at the end of the month :(

At least working thru the weekend eliminated any thoughts i had of travelling down for the Monaghan game ;)