PDA

View Full Version : Fingal announce new iniaitive for junior supporters

gufc2000
24/03/2009, 5:48 PM
As part of Sporting Fingal Football Club’s school promotions scheme, the club has begun to roll out its Freddie the Fox Supporters Club programme.

The scheme, aimed at kids between the ages of 5 and 12, encourages school-children to sign up to the junior supporters club.

For just €5, each child receives a Freddie the Fox gift pack, including a Sporting Fingal gift, Freddie the Fox poster, and a membership card which entitles the child to free entry to all home games this season. The kids will also receive visits from Sporting Fingal players over the course of the year. The players will assist in coaching sessions as well as educational talks on topics such as healthy eating and anti-racism.

As this is a non-profit scheme, all money raised from the Freddie the Fox Supporters Club goes directly to the school and the club encourages each school to use the money to purchase sports equipment.

Sporting Fingal Club Promotions Officer Conor Cullen says the scheme has been a huge success.

“The interest in it has been brilliant so far," said Cullen. "We’ve got over 350 kids already signed up, and that’s only in a handful of schools. Hopefully in the next few weeks we can have few hundred more sign up.

“The schools are so keen to sign up, as are the kids. Hopefully it will result in improved equipment for the schools, improved attendances at our games, and most importantly that the kids get some enjoyment from it.”

Maynard
24/03/2009, 5:56 PM
It's a great drive. It's an awful shame it's being done by this shower however:o

Youths4Ever
24/03/2009, 7:35 PM
It is an excellent idea to get young kids involved and following LOI
No matter what club is starting it

jebus
24/03/2009, 7:50 PM
Good idea
Horrible club

Sums it up I feel

GalwayRed
24/03/2009, 8:11 PM
Great idea, should see an increase in their attendences. Could more clubs not try this? I mean theyre hardly breaking the bank here giving out free posters and pencil cases. Could be very beneficial in the long run.

Dunny
24/03/2009, 8:19 PM
Great idea, should see an increase in their attendences. Could more clubs not try this? I mean theyre hardly breaking the bank here giving out free posters and pencil cases. Could be very beneficial in the long run.

I thought Shels had a junior supporters club?

Edit: They do.

http://www.shelbournefc.ie/news.php?id=1107

Dalymountrower
24/03/2009, 9:15 PM
Bohs introduced this months ago. Its free unlike Sporting Franchise, Mr Gannon`s cash flow must have mysteriously dried up.

The Junior Gypsies Supporters Club is for fans aged under 14. Anyone who signs up to becoming a Junior Gypsy for the 2009 season will be entitled to free entry into the Jodi Stand

As a Junior Gypsy, you will receive:
Credit Card style Junior Gypsies membership card that entitles the bearerer to FREE entry into Dalymount Park for all home games
Bohs Junior Gypsies badge
A Bohemian F.C calendar
Quarterly Junior Gypsies newsletter
10% retail discount on all kids merchandise in the club shop
Christmas Card from the team
Exclusive Christmas Party for all Junior Gypsies members at Dalymount Park
A vote for the “Junior Gypsies Player of the Year” award
Members can also enter Exclusive Competitions! Prizes include:
A chance to be mascot at one of our 2009 home fixtures
A Family Day out at Dalymount Park, the home of Irish football
Tickets for your class and a teacher to attend any home league fixture
A training session for your team with your favourite Bohs players

Magicme
24/03/2009, 9:56 PM
If you read the original post you would see that Sporting Fingal are not making any money out of this they are giving the money to the schools.

Sunny Jim
25/03/2009, 1:45 PM
Good idea
Horrible club

Sums it up I feel

Couldn't have put it any better myself.

dcfcsteve
25/03/2009, 3:44 PM
What's the fox thing all about ? :confused:

Fingal's symbol is a bird ?

boris
25/03/2009, 4:25 PM
good to see all the "support" for this idea. seeing as we all moan about people not supporting loi teams then this idea gets the mesage out to the next generationof fans. also if you pay for something you will appreciate it more than if you get it for free and as already pointed out by someone who took the time to actually read the post, the club make no money out of this.

nice to see the wexford and limerick fans agreeing on something :)

Lamper.sffc
25/03/2009, 5:48 PM
What's the fox thing all about ? :confused:

Fingal's symbol is a bird ?

The fox is the mascot.

http://www.sportingfingal.ie/LinkClick.aspx?link=generalimages%2Ffreddyfoxverti call.gif&tabid=1310&mid=2393

Maynard
25/03/2009, 5:54 PM
The fox is the mascot.

And how does that explain anything?

If you're just picking random stuff I'd vote for Klu Klux Clam.

http://www.chimpout.com/forum/image.php?u=1216&dateline=1225210683

Lamper.sffc
25/03/2009, 6:00 PM
And how does that explain anything?

http://www.chimpout.com/forum/image.php?u=1216&dateline=1225210683

What:confused:

A girl of about 12 designed the mascot last year for a competition run in the local schools. She named him Fingal Freddie. Since when does the mascot have to have a direct connection with the club. Just have a look at other mascots for clubs around the world and tell me they all have have a connection with their club. Do me a favour mate, take you anger and negativity elsewhere.

longfordjames
25/03/2009, 6:17 PM
LTFC used have a mascot

Schumi
25/03/2009, 6:19 PM

http://www.chimpout.com/forum/image.php?u=1216&dateline=1225210683:D

I suppose Flatulent Fox isn't too far off.

Kildare Lad
25/03/2009, 6:44 PM
Great idea by Fingal, hope it works out for them and more clubs follow up with something similar.

The Lep
25/03/2009, 7:34 PM
It's a great drive. It's an awful shame it's being done by this shower however:o

Typical response from a shels head ;)

Still got your Dublin City shirt ? :D

GalwayRed
25/03/2009, 9:39 PM
Still got your Dublin City shirt ? :D
Why would he have a Dublin City shirt?:confused:

thischarmingman
25/03/2009, 10:45 PM
:D

I suppose Flatulent Fox isn't too far off.

"...Ghost Mutt?"

http://z.about.com/d/animatedtv/1/0/4/m/simp2006_Marge_f.jpg

Maynard
25/03/2009, 11:34 PM

A girl of about 12 designed the mascot last year for a competition run in the local schools. She named him Fingal Freddie. Since when does the mascot have to have a direct connection with the club. Just have a look at other mascots for clubs around the world and tell me they all have have a connection with their club. Do me a favour mate, take you anger and negativity elsewhere.

Well fair play to the young girl for designing it and all. But other than it starting with an "F" I don't see any connection. Considering your entire crest is a giant bird, I really expected that a mascot of an avian nature would have been as wide as you cast your net.

I believe that Bray Wanderers (The Seagulls) Have "Sammy the Seagull" which is obviously connected; off the top of my head West Ham have a giant Hammer, Millwall have a lion, Hull a Tiger, Man Utd "Eric the Red Devil" et cetera et cetera et cetera

As it happens my class have contacted all the Dublin "commuter-belt" clubs (as part of a LOI drive/project) via email and Fingal got back to us (along with Bohs and Bray) and mentioned this initiative. So, again; a grudging fair play.

CSFShels
26/03/2009, 12:12 AM
seeing as we all moan about people not supporting loi teams
Sporting Fingal don't count here. This just applies to the other 21. Sporting Fingal are pretty much just there to be hated.

ciaraa
26/03/2009, 12:14 AM
I believe that Bray Wanderers (The Seagulls) Have "Sammy the Seagull" which is obviously connected

Its actually Rocky the seagull - a giant gull who beat Drogs mascot (some kind of deformed lion) in penalties at half time during the cup semi in 05. Decent penalties too it must be said. In fact the general consensus on the terrace was that Rocky could feel aggrieved not to have been picked ahead of Tarzan O'Brien up front.

dcfcsteve
26/03/2009, 1:10 AM

In fairness - most mascots do actually have some sort of connection to their club though :

'Billy Blue' at Linfield.
'R mucker' (the candystriped tiger) at City.
H'angus the monkey at Hartlepool
The Owl at Sheffield Wednesday.
The fox at Leicester City.
The Seagull at Bray

You get the idea without me having to go on.....

osarusan
26/03/2009, 1:17 AM
A 12-year-old girl came up with the name right? I'd imagine there was nothing more complicated involved than choosing an animal that began with an 'F'.

So bloody what if one mascot is the same animal as on the crest while another mascot isn't? Who honestly gives a f**k if there is any link between the club and the mascot?

Well dont to Fingal for going ahead with the creation of a young girl, and well done on the idea for junior supporters.

Longfordian
26/03/2009, 10:03 AM
Well fair play to the young girl for designing it and all. But other than it starting with an "F" I don't see any connection. Considering your entire crest is a giant bird, I really expected that a mascot of an avian nature would have been as wide as you cast your net.

I believe that Bray Wanderers (The Seagulls) Have "Sammy the Seagull" which is obviously connected; off the top of my head West Ham have a giant Hammer, Millwall have a lion, Hull a Tiger, Man Utd "Eric the Red Devil" et cetera et cetera et cetera

As it happens my class have contacted all the Dublin "commuter-belt" clubs (as part of a LOI drive/project) via email and Fingal got back to us (along with Bohs and Bray) and mentioned this initiative. So, again; a grudging fair play.

Fred The Red actually ;) . The Town have had various Longford Lions as mascots, don't think we ever named them properly. One of them won a penalty shootout against Bray's seagull years ago much to the latter's displeasure. Marty The Monkey made an appearance a few times last year too :D

mcgonigle
26/03/2009, 10:40 AM
Don't forget Lily the panda, a connection if ever there was one!

Lamper.sffc
26/03/2009, 10:42 AM
A 12-year-old girl came up with the name right? I'd imagine there was nothing more complicated involved than choosing an animal that began with an 'F'.

So bloody what if one mascot is the same animal as on the crest while another mascot isn't? Who honestly gives a f**k if there is any link between the club and the mascot?

Well dont to Fingal for going ahead with the creation of a young girl, and well done on the idea for junior supporters.

Which is why I had my original confusion at maynards comment.

Sporting Fingal don't count here. This just applies to the other 21. Sporting Fingal are pretty much just there to be hated.

By some shels fans who have a chip on there shoulder.

I believe that Bray Wanderers (The Seagulls) Have "Sammy the Seagull" which is obviously connected; off the top of my head West Ham have a giant Hammer, Millwall have a lion, Hull a Tiger, Man Utd "Eric the Red Devil" et cetera et cetera et cetera.

In fairness - most mascots do actually have some sort of connection to their club though :

'Billy Blue' at Linfield.
'R mucker' (the candystriped tiger) at City.
H'angus the monkey at Hartlepool
The Owl at Sheffield Wednesday.
The fox at Leicester City.
The Seagull at Bray

You get the idea without me having to go on.....

In fairness i did say that you couldnt tell me they all have a connection with their club. Of course you can find some that do, just like you can find some that dont

Reading have a lion

Leeds have a Tiger

Aston villa have a lion and cat

Preston have a duck

Damn you people for getting me into one of the worst arguments i have ever had on this site :)

Schumi
26/03/2009, 11:32 AM
In fairness, a Candystriped Lion is a pretty tenuous connection too.

Damn you people for getting me into one of the worst arguments i have ever had on this site :)You're just getting started. :D

Ezeikial
26/03/2009, 12:08 PM
Unfortunately this thread has got polluted (like so many others) with negativity and begrudging attitudes - hardly informative or entertaining!

It seems that enduring juvenile sniping posts are the price that has to paid to for the real gems on this site

Well done Fingal on your efforts (and also to Bohemians, Shelbourne and any others who are putting in this effort) Congrats Pats on your 80c kids tickets promotion.

Larry 'da' Wyse
26/03/2009, 12:36 PM
Unfortunately this thread has got polluted (like so many others) with negativity and begrudging attitudes - hardly informative or entertaining!

It seems that enduring juvenile sniping posts are the price that has to paid to for the real gems on this site

Well done Fingal on your efforts (and also to Bohemians, Shelbourne and any others who are putting in this effort) Congrats Pats on your 80c kids tickets promotion.

POTM! Well said. Is it any wonder our League hasn't flourished when there are plenty supporters quick to mock and knock any bit of progress.

Maynard
26/03/2009, 2:35 PM
POTM! Well said. Is it any wonder our League hasn't flourished when there are plenty supporters quick to mock and knock any bit of progress.

Some of ye would want to get real here. And I certainly hope that the emboldended bit above is not directed at me as I have now stated twice in this thread my (albeit grudging) respect for the Sporting Fingal effort. Does this mean that we all have to fall in love with the club too?:rolleyes:

Ye, let's all hold hands across Dublin between Pats, Bohs, Shels, Rovers, UCD and Fingal and say how great we all are.

I think I need a lie down away from this forum for a month.

CSFShels
26/03/2009, 6:27 PM
By some shels fans who have a chip on there shoulder.

Funnily enough no fans of other clubs openly disagreed with me on that opinion. So I'd wager its not just Shels fans that don't want you around.

dfx-
26/03/2009, 6:33 PM
Sporting Fingal Club Promotions Officer Conor Cullen says the scheme has been a huge success.

“The interest in it has been brilliant so far," said Cullen. "We’ve got over 350 kids already signed up, and that’s only in a handful of schools. Hopefully in the next few weeks we can have few hundred more sign up.

“The schools are so keen to sign up, as are the kids. Hopefully it will result in improved equipment for the schools, improved attendances at our games, and most importantly that the kids get some enjoyment from it.”

Calling Nicky Brennan to North Co. Dublin, that's Nicky Brennan to North Co. Dublin please.

dcfcsteve
26/03/2009, 11:47 PM
In fairness, a Candystriped Lion is a pretty tenuous connection too.

You're just getting started. :D

It's only tenuous if you don't know what you're talking about..... :)

'The Candystriped tiger' was the name of a 1986 documentary on the phenomena that was city's retrun to football in 1985 by BBC1 Northern Ireland. The name stuck.

Also - you do understand that a lion and a tiger are two different animals....? :o

dcfcsteve
26/03/2009, 11:59 PM
In fairness i did say that you couldnt tell me they all have a connection with their club. Of course you can find some that do, just like you can find some that dont

You're just plain wrong here mucker. The overwhelming majority of mascosts have some sort of connection with a club - it's history, its name, its colours, its crest, its location etc. Because that's the whole idea about a mascot - it should have some sort of meaning.

To prove the point, let's look at the examples you gave of ones you thought had no connection :

Reading have a lion : Their nickname is 'The Royals', and the lion is the king of the jungle. Hence that choice.

Leeds have a Tiger : That's 'Kop Kat' : a play on words between the Kop part of their stadium, and the old cartoon character 'Top Cat'

Aston villa have a lion and cat : Have you ever seen Villa's crest...? :o

Preston have a duck : 'Deepdale Duck'. Deepdale is their stadium : 'Me duck' is a term of endearment in Lancashire. A bit like City's mascot being called 'R Mucker'.

You may choose to argue that some of the above are tenuous - but they have some sort of reference back to their clubs none-the-less.

Damn you people for getting me into one of the worst arguments i have ever had on this site :)

Indeed...... ;)

HulaHoop
27/03/2009, 12:17 AM

Exactly why this site is boycotted and christened fool.ie in some quarters ;)

Lamper.sffc
27/03/2009, 1:27 AM
Funnily enough no fans of other clubs openly disagreed with me on that opinion. So I'd wager its not just Shels fans that don't want you around.

RRRiiiiiggghhttttt

You win:rolleyes:

Lamper.sffc
27/03/2009, 1:29 AM
You're just plain wrong here mucker. The overwhelming majority of mascosts have some sort of connection with a club - it's history, its name, its colours, its crest, its location etc. Because that's the whole idea about a mascot - it should have some sort of meaning.

To prove the point, let's look at the examples you gave of ones you thought had no connection :

Reading have a lion : Their nickname is 'The Royals', and the lion is the king of the jungle. Hence that choice.

Leeds have a Tiger : That's 'Kop Kat' : a play on words between the Kop part of their stadium, and the old cartoon character 'Top Cat' (please)
Please

Aston villa have a lion and cat : Have you ever seen Villa's crest...?

Preston have a duck : 'Deepdale Duck'. Deepdale is their stadium : 'Me duck' is a term of endearment in Lancashire :). A bit like City's mascot being called 'R Mucker'.

You may choose to argue that some of the above are tenuous - but they have some sort of reference back to their clubs none-the-less.

Indeed...... ;)

No more than Fingal freddie in fairness. Is he any more tenuous than what is mentioned above. (really)
The original point still stands, the mascot does not have to have a direct connection with the club dont ya think. Please lets leave it there:o

Larry 'da' Wyse
27/03/2009, 12:20 PM
Imagine ... if that school girl only new what debate her design would cause among adults

Longfordian
27/03/2009, 12:21 PM
Worst. Argument. Ever.

Lamper.sffc
27/03/2009, 1:32 PM
Worst. Argument. Ever.

Agreed:o