PDA

View Full Version : Ban on international transfer of minors

Sheridan
24/03/2009, 4:19 PM
Resolution ratified
All four groups present at the meeting (associations, clubs, leagues and players) agreed on the principle that there should be no international transfers of minors – players aged under 18 – either into Europe or within Europe. A resolution for the protection of young players and encouragement of youth development was ratified by all four representatives' groups.

If this were implemented properly it could single-handedly transform Irish football. How are they getting around it currently? I know the big English clubs circumvent the rules regarding recruiting within their catchment area by sorting out jobs locally for the player's family, but it's not common practice for Irish youngsters' families to follow them across.

redobit
24/03/2009, 4:28 PM
Could be a good and bad thing id say. It would defo aid the league of Ireland, on the other hand if more centres of excellence and a higher level of coaching is not implemented at grass roots; there will be less quality players breaking through and going to big european clubs when they reach 18 and thus hurting the international set up.

sligoman
24/03/2009, 4:32 PM
Could be a good and bad thing id say. It would defo aid the league of Ireland, on the other hand if more centres of excellence and a higher level of coaching is not implemented at grass roots; there will be less quality players breaking through and going to big european clubs when they reach 18 and thus hurting the international set up.Sounds great to me.

A face
24/03/2009, 4:51 PM
Could be a good and bad thing id say. It would defo aid the league of Ireland, on the other hand if more centres of excellence and a higher level of coaching is not implemented at grass roots; there will be less quality players breaking through and going to big european clubs when they reach 18 and thus hurting the international set up.

You could have a case now though the junior clubs dont have an option to ship young lads away at 14 and 15 and have to develop them. Obviously if LOI clubs are better at it then they will do well out of it.

Sounds great to me.

And me, is it actually all our dreams come through? Although ....

agreed on the principle

Magicme
24/03/2009, 7:40 PM
The FAI have started building up the Regional Development Centres around the country already and there will be more work done with the Emerging Talent programmes in these areas in the coming years so it seems like good timing!

WexCar
24/03/2009, 8:51 PM
Ban on international transfer of minors and the 6 + 5 rule(if it happens), how'd ya think tat would affect the LOI and international team?

Flawless
24/03/2009, 8:53 PM
The FAI have started building up the Regional Development Centres around the country already and there will be more work done with the Emerging Talent programmes in these areas in the coming years so it seems like good timing!

And these are essential to developing our burgeoning talent.
I still maintain that a setup close to what the french have at Clairefontaine is what we need here, maybe schooling and coaching kids at the same time.
I know its a money thing aswell, but this would be the way forward.

OneRedArmy
24/03/2009, 9:01 PM
What age does the right to freedom of trade within the EU kick in?

holidaysong
24/03/2009, 9:04 PM
Good news for the LOI which in the long run is good news for the international team.

osarusan
24/03/2009, 9:30 PM
What age does the right to freedom of trade within the EU kick in?
Good question, although (and I'm just going on the info in Sheridan's post) it seems to be a principle agreed by the clubs themselves, so maybe EU laws would never come into it?

If it did come into effect, it would be good news for domestic football, but I'd agree that we'd need to start setting up places for our players to get the sort of training that young players currently get abroad.

Longfordian
24/03/2009, 9:40 PM
Minors would have to sue through their parents or guardians I think but I don't see why they couldn't do so if they wanted to as EU citizens.

Dodge
24/03/2009, 10:09 PM
Good question, although (and I'm just going on the info in Sheridan's post) it seems to be a principle agreed by the clubs themselves, so maybe EU laws would never come into it?

But it would nly take one club to challenge that through the ECJ

AFAIK there aren't any provisions in the various EU treaties regarding age, but both full and part time workers are covered (which would include mot trainees).

I'd imagine we'll see the big european clubs offer more education than currently and try the "student" route as opposed to trainee professionals

Interesting proposal

John83
24/03/2009, 10:20 PM
UEFA has compromised with the EU over labour laws in the past - the fact that players cannot terminate employment with a short period of notice is evidence of this. I wouldn't be surprised if this is permitted under such an agreement.

Dodge
24/03/2009, 10:27 PM
UEFA has compromised with the EU over labour laws in the past - the fact that players cannot terminate employment with a short period of notice is evidence of this. I wouldn't be surprised if this is permitted under such an agreement.

yeah, but that was a good thing for the big clubs. Presumably, this new rule wouldn't be.

Of course the statement indicates they're all going to row in behind it so I could just be overcynical (again)

Dyl10
25/03/2009, 12:24 AM
I believe one of the Scandinavian countries(Norway?) have had this rule implemented and working for a long time

Dodge
25/03/2009, 12:52 AM
Yeah but Norway aren't in eu

Macy
25/03/2009, 8:11 AM
Ban on international transfer of minors and the 6 + 5 rule(if it happens),
I can't see the 6+5 rule ever happening.

how'd ya think tat would affect the LOI
It should be a good thing. Many of the kids that go over are fooked out by the time their 18, and are lost to football. If they were still in the Irish system at 18 they'd be more likely to stay playing imo, which would benefit the league. There's been a few examples of players being picked up later in recent years (like Doyle, Mooney, Fahy etc), which will give them the motivation to carry on playing the league.

and international team?
Frankly, I couldn't give a toss, but the international class players would still be picked up at 18.

Personally, I can't see it happening, too many big clubs too interested in young boys, and not just Arsenal these days.

pineapple stu
25/03/2009, 8:30 AM
IHow are they getting around it currently?
Isn't there something at present whereby young players (maybe under 16) can't move abroad unless they have familial consent or something? So the club puts some of the family up in the same dive they put the player, player and family get to think they live the dream for a year until they get released and everyone's happy. Could be imagining that though.

redobit
25/03/2009, 8:38 AM
Sligoman, A face and Macy: are ye club over country people or just couldnt care about the international set up?

Macy
25/03/2009, 8:53 AM
Club always more important than country to me, however the disconnect has grown for me in recent years especially since Delaney took over and then started messing with the international tickets (it was the straw that broke the camels back after a few other things).

jimhacker
25/03/2009, 9:12 AM
agree that we'd need to start setting up places for our players to get the sort of training that young players currently get abroad.

You mean the sort of training that they get at places like Mansfield and Colchester.

If ever an advert was needed to counter the infatuation with cross channel football, it was provided by the U/12 team in last year's games v portugal and England.

We produced a team full of one paced, one sided, plodders from the lower level U.K clubs.

None of these players would have been any the worse off had they stayed with local clubs here.

I doubt that this ban could be successfully enforced - but it would be nmarvellous if it could be and might bring an end to one of the last vestiges of child labour in Europe.

Longfordian
25/03/2009, 10:52 AM
If ever an advert was needed to counter the infatuation with cross channel football, it was provided by the U/12 team in last year's games v portugal and England.

We produced a team full of one paced, one sided, plodders from the lower level U.K clubs.

Bit harsh to be writing them off as one paced plodders at 12 ;) .

jimhacker
25/03/2009, 11:35 AM
You mean the sort of training that they get at places like Mansfield and Colchester.

If ever an advert was needed to counter the infatuation with cross channel football, it was provided by the U/21 team in last year's games v Portugal and England.

None of these players would have been any the worse off had they stayed with local clubs here.

I doubt that this ban could be successfully enforced - but it would be nmarvellous if it could be and might bring an end to one of the last vestiges of child labour in Europe.

Alright alright!

There's always one!

Boh_So_Good
25/03/2009, 1:07 PM
Sounds great to me.

So is Martin Cullen meeting with Niall Quinn to stop this attack on our great sporting traditions?

John83
25/03/2009, 3:23 PM
yeah, but that was a good thing for the big clubs. Presumably, this new rule wouldn't be.

Of course the statement indicates they're all going to row in behind it so I could just be overcynical (again)
If it ever goes, it'd end transfer fees. That would hurt small clubs as much as help them. Most clubs are happy that half their team can't walk out tomorrow because the manager's a tit or something.

thischarmingman
25/03/2009, 3:28 PM
Most clubs are happy that half their team can't walk out tomorrow because the manager's a tit or something.

Not sure why you have to bring Cork into this? :confused: