PDA

View Full Version : Rovers v Galway

Pages : [1] 2

Rovers Maniac
24/03/2009, 3:51 PM
We have to try and lift ourselves for this live on TV and pride at stake. Not a good start to the season but we can turn it around. Lets get behind the lads from the start, should be a good crowd with Galway being top of the league (No laughing down the back) :). Actually they seem to be quite a decent team to be fair and their manager has them playing well. Pressure will be on them as we are the underdog for this.

perfect game to kick start our season

Brush,

Keane, Peers, Ventre, Holmes

Doherty, O'Grady, Ryan, Morrison

Parkhouse, McTiernan

I would chance McTiernan up front as he is probably a better forward than Cash. I thought our back line did not good or balanced at all last week so i would go back to playing Ventre at centre back and Keane back to right back. Hopefully we will see Doherty back for this but without Raf and Rommy it will be tough but i think we can get something, and a big game Live on tv is what the lads need right now to get stuck into.

Rovers1
24/03/2009, 3:57 PM
I would chance McTiernan up front .

Id chance McTiernan up front every game TBH,certainly a better player than Parkhouse. I cant see Cook starting him though.

dong
24/03/2009, 9:40 PM
Was away for the weekend so missed the Pats game. Very negative feedback on that one. Sounds like tough times ahead but this game could kick start things so I hope we get a good few down to Terryland to cheer the boys on. Easy to get despondent but thats no use to anyone so hoping to sneak a win. Would agree that Parkhouse has been a big disappointment but he has scored half of our goals this season so we'll have to perservere! I thought at the start of the season he'd be a good buy so I hope he gets it together. He's no Berbatov but he seems have his attitude.Our best team for this weekend:
Brush
Ventre
Keane
Peers
Holmes
Morrison
O'Grady
Ryan
Cash ( or Doherty if fit )
Parkhouse
McTiernan

I think we're missing Doherty as an outlet on the wing. We'll be decent once himself and Almeida return. Fitness worrying though and we're going to have to fight hard for points. Is a win against one of the big boys away too much to hope for??

sligoman
24/03/2009, 9:48 PM
Is a win against one of the big boys away too much to hope for??You're not referring to Galway there are you?

dong
24/03/2009, 10:18 PM
God no! I can see how it might have read that way but that's just lunacy Sligoman!!:D
I was thinking more like Bohs,Pats,Derry or Cork.

Mayo Red
25/03/2009, 8:34 AM
Slightly optimistic maybe but we need to kickstart our season and what better place to do it than in Galway, I'll go for a 2-1 Rovers win, it'll be a tight game though!

dong
25/03/2009, 2:08 PM
Decent article in today's Independent about Galway with a couple of interviews. They're talking the talk anyways.....

rob mcdonald
25/03/2009, 5:01 PM
McT up the front??? Dont know about that and leave Cash on the bench where's the benefit there. When did McT last score?? although he did have a diving header at some keeper last season only problem was the keeper had trhe ball at his feet, make good telly though.....

dong
25/03/2009, 5:31 PM
McTiernan hasn't had too many chances though. Mostly just coming on as a sub last season. Cash was poor against Shams and from what I've heard, not much better against Pats.
McTiernan will always give 100 per cent and he still has a bit of pace which we'll be lacking in the absence of Boco and Cretaro.

Rovers1
25/03/2009, 6:44 PM
McT up the front??? Dont know about that and leave Cash on the bench where's the benefit there. When did McT last score?? although he did have a diving header at some keeper last season only problem was the keeper had trhe ball at his feet, make good telly though.....

Paul has never got a fair chance under Cook IMO. TBH i dont see the benefit in starting Cash, in any game.

Rory H
25/03/2009, 7:06 PM
Team news up now

Sean South
26/03/2009, 6:16 PM
Alright lads time to get behind The Bit O'Red we should all try and group together in one block and make as much noise as possible it will also make our display look better ;-)

Patrick Dunne
27/03/2009, 7:29 AM
Galway United Supporters Trust invite all supporters of Sligo Rovers to Fibber Magees, Eyre Square, before and after tonights Premier Division match.

celticV3
27/03/2009, 10:25 AM
Galway United Supporters Trust invite all supporters of Sligo Rovers to Fibber Magees, Eyre Square, before and after tonights Premier Division match.
Can I ask why fibbers?

Patrick Dunne
27/03/2009, 10:44 AM
Fibber Magees sponsor GUST. Foxes was our previous pre-match meeting point, the same person runs both pubs.

avvenalaf
27/03/2009, 12:31 PM
And you can smoke in Fibbers:)

sligofan4ever
27/03/2009, 10:42 PM
A much improved performance from the lads, we were the better team but Galway had the better of the chances. I think it goes to show we lack strength up front without Raff and Boco. O' Grady fully deserved MOTM, Morrison,Ryan,Brush,Keane and Peers all had good games too. I tought Ventre's sending off was very harsh, player went down far too easy. Hope they play like this against Dundalk when we have Raff and Boco back in the team.

red arrow
27/03/2009, 11:32 PM
v. good result on a horendous night for football. good to see the unity in the team. we are slowly beginning to gel. i thought holmes and keane were solid
and peers was outstanding as well as brush. he is turning into a v. good keeper. once the weather gets better we will begin to perform. in my opinion a v. good performance on a very difficult night. remember we were down to the bare bones. next two games very important . target 6 points.

Rovers Maniac
27/03/2009, 11:52 PM
Better team on the night, thought Keane was excellent in the 2nd half and Holmes improved as the game wore on. Thought Peers, Ryan were superb and Parkhouse i felt did well, good point considering Alan Kelly's terrible decision to send Ventre off, which changed the game. Steve Feeney done very well when coming on and playing at centre back, it seems to be more his natural position. Deffo signs of improvement and a lot to take out as positive from the match. Roll on next week and Mr Connor.

dong
28/03/2009, 1:03 AM
Good result, especially considering all the players missing. What was the starting eleven lads?

Bigone57
28/03/2009, 2:56 AM
Keep it up go get Conner next week please:p

Well Red
28/03/2009, 8:19 AM
Good performance last night on a terrible night for football. Squad is pretty threadbare, club should appeal the sending off. Need a few players back from injury and I am sure this team can make progress as played the type of football last night that they did last season. We need a target man as we are very week up front and obviously this is also in the managers mind, he said we had no cutting edge up front. A few wins would sort out a lot of problems.

kkontour
28/03/2009, 8:49 AM
Happy with performance. Not a sending off, but I thought we did very well with 10 men, was going to be tough for McT to get anything working on his own up front. A few players need a bit more composure on the ball. Too much long htigh balls from some players. Thought OGrady and McDaid were excellent. The cutting edge missing up front . Raf and boco back should make the difference. Would also like to see cash get down the wing more, he turned back a few times, would like to see him test the full back a bit more.

Well Red
28/03/2009, 8:57 AM
How many games is Boco missing, just one?

Nah Nah Nah Nah
28/03/2009, 9:00 AM
Happy with performance. Not a sending off, but I thought we did very well with 10 men, was going to be tough for McT to get anything working on his own up front. A few players need a bit more composure on the ball. Too much long htigh balls from some players. Thought OGrady and McDaid were excellent. The cutting edge missing up front . Raf and boco back should make the difference. Would also like to see cash get down the wing more, he turned back a few times, would like to see him test the full back a bit more.

McDaid didn't do anything wrong alright last night...............?????

Why don't we shoot from long range? Everytime Galway got within 30 yards they were taking shots

dong
28/03/2009, 10:16 AM
Starting team?

prodsc
28/03/2009, 10:35 AM
Richard Brush; Alan Keane, Gavin Peers, Daniel Ventre, Shaun Holmes; Owen Morrison (Eoin Torpey, 86), Conor O'Grady, Richie Ryan, Sean Doherty (Steve Feeney, 65), Brian Cash; Stephen Parkhouse (Paul McTiernan, 65).
Subs not used:Ciaran Kelly, Jason Noctor.

McDaid?

Boo_Boy
28/03/2009, 11:22 AM
Must have meant O'Grady and Ryan.

kkontour
28/03/2009, 1:05 PM
McDaid didn't do anything wrong alright last night...............?????

Why don't we shoot from long range? Everytime Galway got within 30 yards they were taking shots

Richard Brush; Alan Keane, Gavin Peers, Daniel Ventre, Shaun Holmes; Owen Morrison (Eoin Torpey, 86), Conor O'Grady, Richie Ryan, Sean Doherty (Steve Feeney, 65), Brian Cash; Stephen Parkhouse (Paul McTiernan, 65).
Subs not used:Ciaran Kelly, Jason Noctor.

McDaid?

Oops, Meant Ryan,

Rovers fan
28/03/2009, 1:42 PM
Ryan is quality imo. We will see the best of him this season. His passing, in the first half especally was top notch. A good midfield partner for o'grady, more balanced than an o'grady-ventre partnership.

Morrison did well but should try from distance more often.

Cash looked better but turns back too often.

Overall it was much improved. Still a crap match but that was due to the weather. The lads showed much more drive which is encouraging.

One thing which annoyed was the corners in the first half. With that wind, any corner put in near the 6yard box was threatening. Yet 3 times we didn't do this. Wasted oppertunities imo.

edit- it must be said while it shouldn't have been a red card that incident would have been avoided completely had ventre not made such an awful mistake.

brianw82
28/03/2009, 7:46 PM
Ryan is quality imo. We will see the best of him this season. His passing, in the first half especally was top notch. A good midfield partner for o'grady, more balanced than an o'grady-ventre partnership.

Definitely. Ryan was easily my MOTM. His passing is excellent. Our problems lie further up the pitch, unfortunately.

Overall, it was a better performance and we've gotta be happy with a point away from home.

lifelong rover
28/03/2009, 9:03 PM
one of the main problems with rovers is that doherty and cash
are just too windy, cash is afraid of his own shadow.

showgies
28/03/2009, 9:29 PM
Richie Ryan is one of the finest players I have seen in a Rovers jersey for some time. His comfort and time on the ball is superb. His problem and Rovers problem are the players in front of him. Their movement doesn't help a good ball player like Ryan.

Cash annoyed me against Galway with his unwillingness to take a player on. Last season he was spoilt with having the option of passing it to Coleman bombing past him. This season he has to responisbilty for creating the chances.

I have said it before and I'll say it again, for the next game I would like to see Morrison on the right wing and Doherty on the left. Doherty played there for the most of last season, why then is he not good enough to play there now?

Considering the lack of depth in the squad, I may be criticised for saying this but for me the sending off for Ventre may be a blessing. Danny has at least 2 or 3 mistakes in him every game, and the one against Galway should have led to a goal. I don't rate him as a Centre Half, Full Back or Midfielder.................

For me Peers Ryan, or Brush should have got MOTM.

sligofan4ever
28/03/2009, 10:15 PM
Richie Ryan is one of the finest players I have seen in a Rovers jersey for some time. His comfort and time on the ball is superb. His problem and Rovers problem are the players in front of him. Their movement doesn't help a good ball player like Ryan.

Cash annoyed me against Galway with his unwillingness to take a player on. Last season he was spoilt with having the option of passing it to Coleman bombing past him. This season he has to responisbilty for creating the chances.

I have said it before and I'll say it again, for the next game I would like to see Morrison on the right wing and Doherty on the left. Doherty played there for the most of last season, why then is he not good enough to play there now?

Considering the lack of depth in the squad, I may be criticised for saying this but for me the sending off for Ventre may be a blessing. Danny has at least 2 or 3 mistakes in him every game, and the one against Galway should have led to a goal. I don't rate him as a Centre Half, Full Back or Midfielder.................

True, but who will play at centre-back with Peers ? It will probably be Feeney or Keane with Noctor going right back.

WoodquayBoy
28/03/2009, 10:49 PM
I thought Ryan was more impressive than O'Grady. And as for suggestion to shoot from distance, well, we did a couple of times and had one shot on target, it is all well and good when you are facing a suspect keeper, but both Ryan and Brush are quality so would be pointless. I also thought Doherty did well for ye, as well as Peers and ALan Keane - they werre my 4 top Rovers players last nigiht

WoodquayBoy
28/03/2009, 10:56 PM
Oh, and Ventre's sending off was a joke, thought so at the time, confirmed after watching recording of game, ye should deffo appeal

red bellied
28/03/2009, 11:19 PM

Best post in a long time. Cash is useless cant cross a ball and any pace he had seems to be gone. Feeney was on for 10 minutes and he looks more in the making as centre half as Ventre ever will. With all the budget problems these two lads should never have been re-signed....

lowroadrover
29/03/2009, 9:46 AM
We were much improved from the Pats game but we give the ball away far to easily,I lost count of how many times we passed straight to a galway player.

roversforever
29/03/2009, 11:23 AM
I don't like all the criticism of cashie here...he's going through a rough patch and he needs support. To all those that are saying he should take people on etc have you ever played the game?if you did you'd know its a confidence issue with the lad at the minute. If a winger is low on confidence he'll always look to go back and keep things simple. Give him a couple of games and the confidence will come.I think myself he's better used as an impact sub anyway,i wouldn't have him starting when everybody is fit but he's not as bad a player as people here are making out he is.

sligobhoy67
29/03/2009, 1:41 PM
I don't like all the criticism of cashie here...he's going through a rough patch and he needs support. To all those that are saying he should take people on etc have you ever played the game?if you did you'd know its a confidence issue with the lad at the minute. If a winger is low on confidence he'll always look to go back and keep things simple. Give him a couple of games and the confidence will come.I think myself he's better used as an impact sub anyway,i wouldn't have him starting when everybody is fit but he's not as bad a player as people here are making out he is.

well said. get behind the player I say

showgies
29/03/2009, 2:25 PM

I agree it could be a confidence thing, but he needs his manager's encouragement to do the positive things and have a go at defenders. He has to accept that it won't always come off but if he doesn't try then he will never regain confidence.

We can't afford to have have two players on the one side unwilling to attack. It is no wonder we are struggling to score.

Shedzer
29/03/2009, 7:43 PM
I read here that some of ye reckon Ryan is one of the 'finest' players we have had in awhile...

What are ye snorting?

He has no drive, goes missing constantly, is purely left sided, his passes that ye talk about are 10 yard passes..

Has Ryan ever split a defense? Drove at a team? No.

Anto Murphy player centre mid 3-4 times last season, was brilliat, Chris Turner was generally a class player, Hughes a mile ahead of Ryan..

Need to come around to yerselfs lads..he is decent, no better that that

brianw82
29/03/2009, 7:47 PM
I read here that some of ye reckon Ryan is one of the 'finest' players we have had in awhile...

What are ye snorting?

He has no drive, goes missing constantly, is purely left sided, his passes that ye talk about are 10 yard passes..

Anto Murphy player centre mid 3-4 times last season, was brilliat, Chris Turner was generally a class player, Hughes a mile ahead of Ryan..

Ryan plays like Pirlo. He sits there and distributes the ball. He's not going to make runs into the box, he needs other players to do that. He can't split a defence because we have nobody making any runs at all. O'Grady doesn't get into the box, which is a problem. Hughes did it loads in 2007, and look how many goals he got. He'd work well with Ryan, IMO.

Red Star
29/03/2009, 8:40 PM
Bit off topic but nice display again from the lads I couldn't make out what the banner said but the crowd cover was class

showgies
29/03/2009, 8:50 PM

What are ye snorting?

All different sort of players with different qualities.

Did you not see Ryan's pass to Keane on friday night in the second half, when Keane stumbled an attempt of a cross. We could and should have made more of it. Ryan does one of those rare things - he keeps possession for the team.

The only reason he seems to go missing is because of our tactic of long kick outs from Brush, by-passing centre midfield.

Rovers1
29/03/2009, 9:05 PM
Bit off topic but nice display again from the lads I couldn't make out what the banner said but the crowd cover was class

the full banner said "Sligo Rovers Football Club, The Pride Of Connacht"....dont think it went as well as planned:(. One of the lads made it. Its too good not to try and use it again.

prodsc
29/03/2009, 11:08 PM
the only reason he seems to go missing is because of our tactic of long kick outs from Brush, by-passing centre midfield. ____

Indeed!!!

prodsc
29/03/2009, 11:20 PM
How many games is Boco missing, just one?

Looks like it for now..June might be different

6/6 v Sudan
20/6 v Mali
:eek:

Mayo Red
30/03/2009, 9:56 AM
The weather conditions took a lot from the game alright, but both sides were fairly evenly matched with us being down to the bare bones and all and Galway missing O'Shea. After Ventre was sent off it changed the game and a point was a decent return. I thought both sendings off were harsh aswell, it's no coincidence that Alan Kelly has to make himself the centre of attention for every live tv game that he does.

Was in the new stand with my Galway Utd supporting mate and his kids, last time I'll do that!!;) Because of that I got out a small bit earlier probably than the rest of ye, was there any trouble walking back up the Dyke Road to the bus or anything? No big deal I'd say in the end, but when I was passing there were a load of pimply faced teenagers gathered together and on about waiting there for the Rovers fans etc, my mate's daughter said she saw a few of them picking up stones??

roversforever
30/03/2009, 10:00 AM
No big deal I'd say in the end, but when I was passing there were a load of pimply faced teenagers gathered together and on about waiting there for the Rovers fans etc, my mate's daughter said she saw a few of them picking up stones??

Yea i saw them actually,there was a good gang of them alrite but think they were more the sort that were trying to look hard without having the balls to do anything!