PDA

View Full Version : MNS & The First Div.

Pages : [1] 2

SunderlandBohs
24/03/2009, 12:40 PM
After looking at MNS last night, I was wondering about new ideas for the show. Then it came to me. Instead of all the bullsh1t items like 60 (RIP) and Thunder strike, when don't they do a first div round-up a la Goals on Sunday with their round-up of the Championship. Does anyone agree?

P.S MNS p1sses over Goals On Sunday!!:D

Rovers Maniac
24/03/2009, 12:43 PM
After looking at MNS last night, I was wondering about new ideas for the show. Then it came to me. Instead of all the bullsh1t items like 60 (RIP) and Thunder strike, when don't they do a first div round-up a la Goals on Sunday with their round-up of the Championship. Does anyone agree?

P.S MNS p1sses over Goals On Sunday!!:D

Yes it would be a good idea, i'd say €€€€ is the issue.

Magicme
24/03/2009, 12:45 PM
But as was suggested here, even if they couldnt show the goals could they not talk about us for a few mins? The first game of the season for us was a great talking point, coming back from 3-0 down to draw 3-3.

Talk is cheap as they say!

jebus
24/03/2009, 12:50 PM
They could give us a mention, even just 5 minutes of talk as I'd say they can't afford to send cameras to the First Division grounds (nor should they with some of the crowds down here, it would look terrible). Well maybe they could show an important game or two near the end of the season

If they did that I might tune in for instance, don't know if there are any other First Division fans like me but I've got zero interest in the show and have watched it about twice

SunderlandBohs
24/03/2009, 12:51 PM
But as was suggested here, even if they couldnt show the goals could they not talk about us for a few mins? The first game of the season for us was a great talking point, coming back from 3-0 down to draw 3-3.

Talk is cheap as they say!
Exactly! If you round all the filler items you'll probably have 10mins to spare for the Div 1. They only need of few local camera men and someone to talk over the footage. Can't imagine that been to expensive. They don't even give a proper run down of the results or fixtures.

Black and White
24/03/2009, 12:59 PM
Somebody mentioned money being a factor there, that aint the case they coudl use the noney they are spending on all the extras liek thunderstrike, 60, karaoke yoke to show the 1st division highlights, I remeber Eircom League weekly(yes i know but it showed some highlights) showed a load of our home games becase we record all our home games above the ehd and sent them in, they didnt show them all the time but showed quite a few!just an idea!I know alot of clubs fans would video their team playing so why not send them in and see, seen as though there is 1 less Premier Division game to show each week with the Division going down to 10 teams.

Ash
24/03/2009, 1:00 PM
They mentioned our upcoming game against Waterford ... but alas gave out the wrong date and time!

jebus
24/03/2009, 1:05 PM
If you want to market the league better though then showing fan made videos on prime time TV isn't the way to go

Tis-smeee
24/03/2009, 1:08 PM
Im a Waterford fan and obviously I would love to see our games every week. bUt that is just bias on my part , do I really want to see athlone v limerick or longford v anyone ???????????????
Answer would have to be no , they should continue doing there thing as its a very entertaining show .

PS, I really enjoyed the phonecalls to Mooney and Fahey this week. Keep up the good work MNS

Rovers Maniac
24/03/2009, 1:11 PM
No i think it would be good to show highlights from one game inn the first each week alright. Or maybe put the clubs highlights on the website.

GlasnevinRed
24/03/2009, 1:25 PM
If they did that I might tune in for instance, don't know if there are any other First Division fans like me but I've got zero interest in the show and have watched it about twice

Agreed. The only time I ever watch it is if I happen to be in front of the tv at the time. I know money would be a factor but even a five minute round up wouldn't hurt.

I'm sure come the end of the season the teams down the bottom of the PD would want a look at their possible playoff opponents aswell.

Claret Murph
24/03/2009, 2:08 PM
I have always said they should have a division one round up , I am sure more people would watch it :ball:

Macy
24/03/2009, 2:13 PM
I've probably watched more than twice, but I certainly don't go out of my way to watch it. If they can't even get people who already have an interest in the league to watch, they obviously doing something very wrong. A couple of minutes to review results, look at the table and preview upcoming fixtures wouldn't cost them.

Maynard
24/03/2009, 3:07 PM
Yeah. I mean they are clearly devoid of any (good) ideas to place as acceptable "filler" in the show. Surely a "Best of the First" goal round up at least is easily doable. Most 1st Div teams record their home games and would be willing to send in the tapes/goals. Top 3 or 5 goals would give each club a chance to be on the show every week - the clubs a reason to send the tapes and the fans a reason to watch...Oh, and it also gives the average football viewer what they want...GOALS!:cool:

gufc2000
24/03/2009, 3:45 PM
They barely even read out the 1st Div results, which I think is bad form. People might go to more Div 1 games if they showed some goals from the games on MNS....I'd definitely be for this idea

Lionel Ritchie
24/03/2009, 4:06 PM

They barely even read out the 1st Div results, which I think is bad form. People might go to more Div 1 games if they showed some goals from the games on MNS....I'd definitely be for this idea

In agreement with these gents, as a supporter of a first division club I'm not going to, metaphorically, sit "outside the window looking in at the party" every monday night just because the clubs I'm watching are in the division I'd like to see my club in.

Aside from MNS -I watched a good bit of Shams and Bohs last weekend and RTE couldn't even bring themselves to update on the scores in the first division at HT. Whatever about not showing highlights on MNS due to technological constraints it's just lazy, scandalous, elitist nonsense that they can't get a score update or result for three or four fixtures.

atfconline
24/03/2009, 4:09 PM
Aside from MNS -I watched a good bit of Shams and Bohs last weekend and RTE couldn't even bring themselves to update on the scores in the first division at HT. Whatever about not showing highlights on MNS due to technological constraints it's just lazy, scandalous, elitist nonsense that they can't get a score update or result for three or four fixtures.

Heading home from Limerick on Friday night, Radio 1 couldn't even confirm the full-time score from two Premier Division games, about half an hour after the games had ended.

jinxy lilywhite
24/03/2009, 4:22 PM
Last season I would of wholeheatedly agreed that the 1st division should get more coverage. Don't know why now- strange

anyway back to my point. Our matchday mag had Con Murphy and one of the reasons was that while, MNS is being done, it is being done right. The last thing they want is bad camera angles and mobile phone coverage of the games, so i'd say the cost of the having and extra 6 camera's at games could possibly cost too much.
I do think though that a 10 min round up or a feature of the big 1st division game should be on it. The first should be spoken more of than the previous week results & this weeks fixtures and the league table.

Iorfa2MaccaJim
24/03/2009, 4:30 PM
I totally agree.

Not that I dislike the ideas that they have come up with, but I think it's only fair that M.N.S. do the First Division.

Maynard
24/03/2009, 4:53 PM
Last season I would of wholeheatedly agreed that the 1st division should get more coverage. Don't know why now- strange

anyway back to my point. Our matchday mag had Con Murphy and one of the reasons was that while, MNS is being done, it is being done right. The last thing they want is bad camera angles and mobile phone coverage of the games, so i'd say the cost of the having and extra 6 camera's at games could possibly cost too much.
I do think though that a 10 min round up or a feature of the big 1st division game should be on it. The first should be spoken more of than the previous week results & this weeks fixtures and the league table.

Not necessary. Harps - UCD - Shels - Longford - Waterford - and others all have perfectly suitable TV gantries (most if not all have been used for live games in the past) and as I mentioned above most are filming their own games anyway. If the clubs are sending in camera phones from an upturned Guinness crate then of course RTE won't (and shouldn't) give them air-time. I know that Shels film all of their home games from the Riverside and the quality of the footage is excellent as those who film it put highlight DVD's on sale for the SSDG at regular intervals during the season and have done for 2+ years now AFAIK

GlasnevinRed
24/03/2009, 4:59 PM
Not necessary. Harps - UCD - Shels - Longford - Waterford - and others all have perfectly suitable TV gantries (most if not all have been used for live games in the past) and as I mentioned above most are filming their own games anyway. If the clubs are sending in camera phones from an upturned Guinness crate then of course RTE won't (and shouldn't) give them air-time. I know that Shels film all of their home games from the Riverside and the quality of the footage is excellent as those who film it put highlight DVD's on sale for the SSDG at regular intervals during the season and have done for 2+ years now AFAIK

The record the away games aswell but obviously not all clubs have TV gantries but it generally looks quite good.

While I think showing highlights might be a step too far for MNS:rolleyes: a short little 5-10 minute discussion wouldn't hurt.

DmanDmythDledge
24/03/2009, 5:01 PM
There isn't enough time in the show to give the Premier Division a decent amount of coverage so there's no chance of them being able to squeeze in time for the First Division, even before taking costs etc into account.

Martinho II
24/03/2009, 5:10 PM
was talkin to our PRO last night and he was sayin to me there should be a few mins allocated for the first division. also its an awful pity that mooney and fahy werent asked for their opinion on the eircom league instead of the league across the water. also why are they showin classic ireland matches it should be eircom loi or have rte ran out of archive??

Iorfa2MaccaJim
24/03/2009, 5:27 PM
I couldn't be bothered reading down through all the posts.
I totally disagree with the cost issue, if they really wanted to they could easily afford to have a camera at EVERY First Division ground.

Is there any way of starting a petition on here for games to be aired on M.N.S. I mean lets face it, even that load of r()bb!$h on TV3 showed the odd (now I said odd) First Division game.

Maynard
24/03/2009, 5:37 PM
There isn't enough time in the show to give the Premier Division a decent amount of coverage so there's no chance of them being able to squeeze in time for the First Division, even before taking costs etc into account.

Ah come off it! Do you even watch the show?! The needless intro where they have pre-recorded clips of the feckin pundits for God sake! 60/Thunderstrike/That singing rubbish/Clips of old Ireland games/reading emails/showing pics/giving out contact info...And there's not enough time to show a few goals?

Don't get me wrong, you can't say 5/10 minutes chat or footage of the FD - Even five minutes is a HUGE chunk of a show that (ads aside) clocks in at about 48/50 mins I'd say. BUT that's not what you'd need here - 2.30 - 3mins would be plenty to show a handful of goals and give a quick chinwag about a particular incident/game/upcoming event in the FD.

It's just that everybody has the Fran Gavin "If the First Division is so tough then why don't you get out of it?" mentality:rolleyes:

mrtndvn
24/03/2009, 5:52 PM
God I hope we don't start showing 1st division games, probably the best way to turn kids of LOI football.

The 60's, thunderstrike are all good craic, gets people interested in the league

Dunny
24/03/2009, 5:54 PM
God I hope we don't start showing 1st division games, probably the best way to turn kids of LOI football.

The 60's, thunderstrike are all good craic, gets people interested in the league

Don't think the karaoke thing would though.

jebus
24/03/2009, 5:55 PM
Some of the stadiums would be of sufficient quality but the last thing we need is for them to show highlights of

Jackman Park at a Limerick game
A half empty Tolka Park
A Mons, UCD or Kildare game with the attendences they get
and the crowds at the other games are nothing to write home about either to be fair

Maynard
24/03/2009, 6:26 PM
Some of the stadiums would be of sufficient quality but the last thing we need is for them to show highlights of

Jackman Park at a Limerick game
A half empty Tolka Park
A Mons, UCD or Kildare game with the attendences they get
and the crowds at the other games are nothing to write home about either to be fair

We'd be doing well...it holds over 9,000...

For the record our home crowds are basically the same as they were in the PD

jebus
24/03/2009, 6:28 PM
We'd be doing well...it holds over 9,000...

For the record our home crowds are basically the same as they were in the PD

Fair enough, I'd be in favour of not showing Shels if they get back to the Premier as well :p

Maynard
24/03/2009, 6:31 PM
Fair enough, I'd be in favour of not showing Shels if they get back to the Premier as well :p

I'd be in favour of giving Limerick to the Brits in exchange for the North - but hey - we all have our opinions:p

Hope you lot bring the champagne with you on Friday again.:rolleyes:

Magicme
24/03/2009, 7:13 PM
I dont see why they couldnt do a 5 min on the league. Or at least if they do insist on doing thunderstrike or other silly bits, include first divison teams in that so that the people watching get to become familiar with the division on some level.

DmanDmythDledge
24/03/2009, 7:22 PM
Ah come off it! Do you even watch the show?! The needless intro where they have pre-recorded clips of the feckin pundits for God sake! 60/Thunderstrike/That singing rubbish/Clips of old Ireland games/reading emails/showing pics/giving out contact info...And there's not enough time to show a few goals?

Don't get me wrong, you can't say 5/10 minutes chat or footage of the FD - Even five minutes is a HUGE chunk of a show that (ads aside) clocks in at about 48/50 mins I'd say. BUT that's not what you'd need here - 2.30 - 3mins would be plenty to show a handful of goals and give a quick chinwag about a particular incident/game/upcoming event in the FD.

It's just that everybody has the Fran Gavin "If the First Division is so tough then why don't you get out of it?" mentality:rolleyes:
You've said mostly what I was going to say so you've saved me a good bit of typing.:)

They show very little of each match as it is. An hour long programme isn't really long enough imo. Adding goals of First Division matches is not a good idea for loads of reasons- in this context it would only make the show seem even more of a rushjob, even if it was replacing some of the gimmicks that they have.

jebus
24/03/2009, 8:19 PM
I'd be in favour of giving Limerick to the Brits in exchange for the North - but hey - we all have our opinions:p

Hope you lot bring the champagne with you on Friday again.:rolleyes:

We still have a few bottles of Dundalk vintage left over from their Christmas hamper they sent us so we'll be bringing that alright

We're running a sweepstakes on how many of our SC bus windows get smashed in as well, I'm saying three, do you want in?

Town Legend
24/03/2009, 8:29 PM
They could give us a mention, even just 5 minutes of talk as I'd say they can't afford to send cameras to the First Division grounds (nor should they with some of the crowds down here, it would look terrible). Well maybe they could show an important game or two near the end of the season

Well I'm not in Ireland for this season and even if I was I wouldn't bother watchin it cos of the lack of coverage the First Division is giving.

SMorgan
24/03/2009, 8:31 PM
On MNS and coverage of the LOI this item that appeared in the Dundalk v Drogheda Matchday programme is well worth a read.

http://www.dundalkfc.com/news/090322_MNS.asp

passinginterest
24/03/2009, 8:33 PM
Would the fanscope segment possibly present an opportunity for clubs to submit footage? I'm sure they'd be happy to show a spectacular goal from the first if decent footage was sent in.

Personally I think it's a good show and I don't have any real problem with them dedicating it to premier division, that said a bit more time given to results and fixtures from the first wouldn't go astray.

Dunny
24/03/2009, 8:34 PM
On MNS and coverage of the LOI this item that appeared in the Dundalk v Drogheda Matchday programme is well worth a read.

Yes great interview.

sheao
24/03/2009, 9:29 PM
I think that Mns really should conisder showing 1st division goals on the show.When you take all the games into account 1st division clubs played last season were only showen 1 or 2 times in the fai cup. Really must be annoying for supporters of 1st division clubs watching mns onlt seeing the result of their game on the screen at the end.

the-blue-harp
24/03/2009, 9:34 PM
Heading home from Limerick on Friday night, Radio 1 couldn't even confirm the full-time score from two Premier Division games, about half an hour after the games had ended.

they must have been relying on aertel!:rolleyes:

the-blue-harp
24/03/2009, 9:44 PM
i dont know if a camera at every game is worth it to show a few goals.
but at least a section in the show dedicated to the first division with results, previews and reviews of games and the table, just to show it exists.

mns is trying to sell a product and bohs and all are the best teams to do this to the minnions. I have to say from watching mns this year the crowds look up, the atmosphere at games look good and it all looks rosy in the garden from the outside.

regards the first division....it aint easy to dress up a turd.:D

Dunny
24/03/2009, 9:48 PM
it aint easy to dress up a turd.:D

Ah come on, the wardrobe department try their best with Roddy.

prince20
24/03/2009, 11:17 PM
As League Director Fran Gavin said.."you only put your best suits in the shop window":rolleyes:

Umberside
25/03/2009, 3:41 PM
i dont know if a camera at every game is worth it to show a few goals.
but at least a section in the show dedicated to the first division with results, previews and reviews of games and the table, just to show it exists.

mns is trying to sell a product and bohs and all are the best teams to do this to the minnions. I have to say from watching mns this year the crowds look up, the atmosphere at games look good and it all looks rosy in the garden from the outside.

regards the first division....it aint easy to dress up a turd.:D

That worries me... the fact that everything is rosy in the garden reminds me of last year. If things are good at the moment then it puts more pressure on the clubs to keep everything in order.

I would consider a year without financial trouble as a good year.

CameramanConka
26/03/2009, 10:34 AM

I was on one of the cameras at that Athlone game - still hurts to watch :(

Phil Coulter bought dinner that day though.

gufc2000
30/03/2009, 9:50 PM
Again, no attention paid to Division 1 tonight. They didn't even mention Mervue winning their first LoI game, or the fact that Pat Scully lost his first game with Limerick.

I feel sorry for ye 1st Division fans. Ye and ye're clubs are being shown no respect

shelsfan1
30/03/2009, 11:56 PM
how many first division teams record their own games. I've seen vids from shels,youths,athlone,kildare so could they and other clubs not just send mns the highlights and let them decide on wether its worth showing then

LeixlipRed
31/03/2009, 10:57 AM
Any footage I've seen from 1st division teams is not worthy for national tv. Our own is the best quality and it's still not up to that standard.

Sam_Heggy
31/03/2009, 11:14 AM
Ours games have all been recorded but the quality would not be good enough for T.V.

BohDiddley
31/03/2009, 12:16 PM
Ours games have all been recorded but the quality would not be good enough for T.V.

Thanks for your honesty Sam.

Showing First Div on television would be quite unhelpful for the league. We're doing well getting the Premier Division highlights on the box, but the show would lose all credibility reaching to a lower level out of a misplaced sense of equality. Roddy Collins would have a field day.

Whatever we may think of the quality in the prem, it is the best the league has to offer and that should be what is in the showcase.

I agree with other observations that MNS should stick to its brief. Bigging up ex-LoI players now in Britain sends out all the wrong messages and cements the patronising notion that we are nothing more than a feeder league for the real game elsewhere. Fair dues to Fahey and Mooney, but they will get covered on RTE, BBC and Sky etc if they really are good enough.

There also is more than enough boys-in-greenism and ancient history. In a tight schedule for what is a precious resource, MNS should be foregrounding the league as it is now, and not sneaking off into RTE's hackneyed football topic range and cheapo fillers from the archive.