five minutes from time.

. The St Patrick's Athletic man
controlled a right-wing cross six yards
out from goal before lashing the ball
to the net to give Ireland a glimmer of
hope going into the closing stages.

The same bloody report is posted @
http://www.rte.ie/sport/2003/1209/soccer/u-20.html

a bloke called Shane Murray is responsible.
The St Patrick's Athletic man
I ask ya.

they're a bloody disgrace

NorthoftheLee
10/12/2003, 8:22 AM
do you really expect anything else??? totally agree, they are a bloody disgrace.....

razor
10/12/2003, 8:31 AM
I have sent a mail
Please forward all your correspondance to
sportonline@rte.ie

DolansWaistcoat
10/12/2003, 8:33 AM
MUPPITS:mad: :mad: :mad:

ccfcgirl
10/12/2003, 9:11 AM
i think everyone should send a email

vito_golightly
10/12/2003, 10:31 AM
Coverage in general has been diabolical. If they had won yesterday, semi-final was a probability having already beaten UAE this year.

Des Cahill (a true sportsfan who never follows the hype but the the real sporting achievements) commented this morning on Morning Ireland that the sports section of either the Times or the Independent - not sure which - led with Manchester United!!!
Unbelievable!
What's there to report? - they were thru anyway - werent they?

I wasnt in a pub during any of the Irish games - I didnt take the risk. I watched them all at home. But can anyone confirm my suspicions that for example Sky Sports News or the Racing Channel took precedence? Not to mention the opening game against Saudi 'clashed' with a poxy premiersh!t match between 'they would be giants' Newcastle and Liverpool. Did anyone happen to spot 'football pubs' opting for that? Any barstoolers crying out for it?

It makes me so mad.

That team made me so proud yesterday. Forget Robbie Keane! They were 2-0 down, dead and buried and their goalscorer Montana came off celebrating - with some cause. They were certainties and Doyle kippered 'em! Could have snuck it!

Gutted for the lads in two respects - that they didnt progress and that they didnt get the 110% recognition they thoroughly deserved.

What a country...

I'll find out which paper it was and the sports editor is gonna feel my wrath as will aertel right now.

NorthoftheLee
10/12/2003, 10:43 AM
you'll find that most papers led with the manure story this morning....it seems like it was massive news that they'd topped the group....mirror had the irish story about 6 pages back....was a good enough write up but it was behind, all the "big" 1st div news....

as for the pubs showing the games.....i think the quad showed them all ...not too sure tho....they did have the saudi game anyhow....

razor
10/12/2003, 12:49 PM
Got the following reply to my mail

Apologies for the error. I was watching the match on
Eurosport, who reported that Doyle played with St
Patrick's Athletic. Now, maybe I should have checked
this up but I was under pressure to get the story out
to both RTÉ Online and Aertel and thought it ok to
continue. A busy night of Champions League action
followed and so I didn't have time to check it out
afterwards.

In an ideal world I would know the details of each and
every one of the Irish players or at least have had
them to hand. However, it's not an ideal world and I,
as a journalist who covers everything from Champions
League soccer to provincial hockey, athletics, GAA etc,
can't be all-knowing all of the time.

I have made the change to the report and hope my
response is noted.

Regards,
Shane Murray
Senior Sports Journalist
RTÉ Publishing

Pretty quick response in fairness.

opplock
10/12/2003, 1:00 PM
Just a couple of points. Was in Barrys of Douglas for Mexico game. Ignored by all apart from myself and a handful of others. Saw the end of the Colombia game yesterday in the Ovens bar where it was being watched by a group of suits after work who didn't have much of a clue about football.

Eurosport commentator referred to Kevin Doyle of CORK CITY towards the end of the game. Captions (not supplied by Eurosport) listed him as being with Cork city in earlier games.

Sorry Shane you may be a sports generalist but it's your job to get it right. Not good enough.

patsh
10/12/2003, 1:04 PM
The Times and The Examiner both had the under-20 story as the lead. It's only O'Reillys rags and the red tops who are Anglo-centric.
As regards aertel, I almost put my foot throught the television last night! I switched to aertel, and it just happened to be the page about SPA.
A WHOLE season at City and aertel still haven't copped on...:rolleyes:

Druss
10/12/2003, 1:05 PM
Originally posted by razor
Got the following reply to my mail

In an ideal world I would know the details of each and
every one of the Irish players or at least have had
them to hand. However, it's not an ideal world and I,
as a journalist who covers everything from Champions
League soccer to provincial hockey, athletics, GAA etc,
can't be all-knowing all of the time.

I have made the change to the report and hope my
response is noted.

Regards,
Shane Murray
Senior Sports Journalist
RTÉ Publishing

Pretty quick response in fairness.

Stupid mistake, and he could have checked the details on FIFAs or the FAI website.
Still fair play to him for replying so quickly.

Schumi
10/12/2003, 1:23 PM
Originally posted by vito_golightly
Des Cahill (a true sportsfan who never follows the hype but the the real sporting achievements) commented this morning on Morning Ireland that the sports section of either the Times or the Independent - not sure which - led with Manchester United!!! Hypocrite, which game would RTÉ have shown?

BTW The Times led with the Ireland game if memory serves.

vito_golightly
10/12/2003, 1:49 PM
Originally posted by Schumi
Hypocrite, which game would RTÉ have shown?

who's a hypocrite - me or him?
if me well then i'm sorry you think so but how so?
if Cahill then... how so?
which game would RTE have shown? Utd of course.
Your point being?
I'm not being larey - I only seek to clarify...

Schumi
10/12/2003, 2:06 PM
who's a hypocrite - me or him? Sorry, him not you.

if Cahill then... how so?
which game would RTE have shown? Utd of course.
Your point being?
That, if RTÉ would have showed the United game ahead of the Ireland game, they're in no position to slag a newspaper for effectively doing the same.

vito_golightly
10/12/2003, 2:51 PM
ok fair point but as i said Cahill has no say in that matter and I hope that you would acknowledge that he is one of the few genuine sports people in RTE who is also competent and genuine?

Schumi
10/12/2003, 2:55 PM
ok fair point but as i said Cahill has no say in that matterBut I'm sure he wouldn't have mentioned it had it been RTÉ who did it.
and I hope that you would acknowledge that he is one of the few genuine sports people in RTE who is also competent and genuine? To be honest, I rarely listen to RTÉ in the morning but most of the time I hear him, he's going on about how he hates Man Utd.

vito_golightly
10/12/2003, 3:05 PM
no he doesnt but anyway...

vito_golightly
10/12/2003, 3:12 PM
no he doesnt but anyway...

sorry that's irresponsible of me.

Des Cahill doesnt go on about Man Utd like he used to.

What I mean about genuine (which I just noticed I repeated twice) is that on those bulletins he will sort out the hype from the real achievement.

For example, Baseball wouldnt have a huge following in Ireland but when the Marlins won he gave it top billing.
Thats a poor example but you get my gist. He wont GENERALLY dwell on mundane bits of info from the English Premiership etc etc

I'm tired of this.

Whatever.

Maybe he was a bad example but he's the best of a horrible bunch

Schumi
10/12/2003, 3:20 PM
Des Cahill doesnt go on about Man Utd like he used to. Fair enough, as I said I don't listen to RTÉ much in the mornings recently.

pete
11/12/2003, 11:49 AM
Fair enough for RTE lad for giving genuine reply.

I wouldn't take the Aertel mistake personnally cos Aertel are as sloppy as they come.