PDA

View Full Version : Press conference report!

Colm
09/12/2003, 6:36 PM
I was at the press conference today and I must say it really was a great show, the likes of which I've never seen from CCFC before.
It was full of glitz and glamour, there was a silver stage with two flat screen TVs on either side displaying the all new Rebel Army logo. A silver curtain hung at the back of the stage.
Lennox introduced a peice of footage with loads of City goals including the 3-2 game against Bohs. He then said "that was then but this is now", the Nissan logo flashed up on the screens, the music started and two gorgeous models appeared. One was wearing last seasons home jersey, the other last seasons away. They pulled down the silver curtain and behind there was a board with the logos of Nissan, RedFM, Evening Echo, Rebel Army and the City crest. The models took off their jerseys to reveal the new home and away jerseys underneath. Then Flynny and Kev Murray emerged in the new kits. Guinness were announced as our offical beer sponsor and their logo is on our new shorts.
Dolan then made his speech and introduced Fenn who signed a 3 year contract there and then. He also announced that Flynny wants to commit to City and that he is currently "in talks with the club".
The new jerseys are very nice imo and will be on sale in the club shop on Friday.
Lennox said that the combined new sponsorship deals are worth upwards of 750,000 euro to the club over the next four years. Apparently the biggest sponsorship deals ever in Irish football.

James
09/12/2003, 6:53 PM
cheers for the report colm
nice one

looks like good times ahead for the REBEL ARMY :)

Snatch
09/12/2003, 7:12 PM
Sounds very impressive indeed.

Let the good times roll.:) :) :)

flynnster
09/12/2003, 7:34 PM
this is where dolan comes into his own he done fierce things with st pats on the commercial side and this is why he jumped at the chane to join us he knows the potential we have - could you imagine murphy getting involved in this i know dolan prob gettin more bobs but murphy barely evere wrote a note for the programme - figures of 750k been mentioned or whatever are brilliant news for us - HAVE WE TURNED THE CORNER??????

A face
09/12/2003, 7:42 PM
Lads it is 750k over 4 years though ... so hang on a while.

It sounds like it is getting better and better though.

I can remember one new jersey launch a while back, Ollie Cahill volleying a ball on Panna .... kinda crap like .... this sound way better.

Can someone merge the two Press conference threads

adamcarr
09/12/2003, 7:45 PM
any news on the away jersey. whens it out? whats it look like?

niamh
09/12/2003, 8:05 PM
Em...good news maybe all round but a figure of 750k over four years doesn't sound that much tbh.

thecorner
09/12/2003, 8:54 PM
Originally posted by flynnster
HAVE WE TURNED THE CORNER??????

YES WE HAVE:D :D

flynnster
09/12/2003, 11:12 PM
i still think that we have to let more players go maybe casey n the likes these guys are all on a wage, imagine if we got rid of 5 players (we have the biggest squad in the league after all) and with the funds we could go and purchase a player of quality like kevin hunt or heary a quality midfielder and we wouldnt be far off title challenge.

Colm
10/12/2003, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by niamh
Em...good news maybe all round but a figure of 750k over four years doesn't sound that much tbh.

In fairness Niamh, it's a hell of a lot by el standards. The kind of sponsorship money the club has never seen before.

fonzi
10/12/2003, 12:16 PM
did anyone take pictures of the actuall event so we can see the lads wearing the new shirts?

Macy
10/12/2003, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by fonzi
did anyone take pictures of the actuall event so we can see the lads wearing the new shirts?
I'd prefer to see the models tbh.....

Macy
10/12/2003, 12:32 PM
btw fair play to O'Neill's for being environmentally friendly..... Good to see the old Mayo kit recycled.....

James
10/12/2003, 12:58 PM

I believe u might find some pics here (http://joehurley.net/december03/) .. nice one joe :)

opplock
10/12/2003, 1:10 PM
This is fantastic news. Well done to all concerned. There's a real positive vibe about the club which will hopefully build and build. Was also fantastic on the day that's in it to see Doyler score for Ireland U-20s and have him mentioned on Eurosport commentary as being a Cork City player. Well done to him and Kearney. Roll on next season. It can't come soon enough!

Schumi
10/12/2003, 1:38 PM
Originally posted by Colm
The models took off their jerseys to reveal the new home and away jerseys underneath. I'd say you were disappointed. :D

The away jersey looks awful!

tiktok
10/12/2003, 2:53 PM
it's actually started to grow on me, initially i thought it was revolting. still can't get used to Nissan on the front though.

niamh
10/12/2003, 4:32 PM
In fairness Niamh, it's a hell of a lot by el standards. The kind of sponsorship money the club has never seen before.

Absolutely Colm. But instead of focusing on how this is the biggest deal blah, blah, blah maybe we should be focusing on how to get more in the future??

The home jersey is growing on me but the away one is absolutely disgusting. Wat were they thinking when you compare it to last year's one, which I think is class.

And yes I know...i'm never happy. I'll be happy if we win de league in it with all our money!!

jofyisgod
10/12/2003, 5:32 PM
You can see plenty of pics on citynet. All good news really. Good about Flynny-thank god.

Éanna
10/12/2003, 5:35 PM
The money is more than anyone has got before which is good. I think the jerseys are alright. While the money might look fairly small when you break it down, its more than we were getting before, and that has to be considered a step in the right direction.

pete
11/12/2003, 12:28 PM
The models took off their jerseys to reveal...

I bet that set a few hearts fluttering ;)

I think 750k is great news. A 4 year deal means city can make plans based on guaranteed income over that period.

Whether hes capable of creating a winning team is unknown yet but Dolans input at this stage in the clubs development alongside Lennox is obviously key.

Dunno about that away jersey - it just my eyes are blurry. Me thinsk home jersey pretty good though. Wonder what predicted sales be like...?

adamcarr
11/12/2003, 5:13 PM
home jersey is daycent pity about the away one but thats all you could expect from o neills

GavinZac
11/12/2003, 9:43 PM
i fidn it very strange the way half of the people are saying they love the home and hate the away, and anohter half think the home is rank and love the away...

i like um both, but the red blobs on the home kinda spoil it :|

so i guess im in a third half, the easily satisfied one ;)

GavinZac
11/12/2003, 9:46 PM
why are people putting down o'neills? is it because they're irish? they are a very successful brand and we should be proud to have them, rather than le coq or addidas, or worse still the nike throw away waterford have.

fonzi
12/12/2003, 9:06 AM
i totally agree with you GavinZac i mean, there will be more interaction between the club and the shirt makers, lets say for orders and getting things into the club shop quicker.
as well O'Neills are opening an office in cork soon.

by the way though, if you look at the home shirt close enough there seems to be a diffrence between Fenn;s shirt andFlynnies.
fenns one-the nissan and crest are very far apart and then flynnies ones are higher up the shirt, and in my opinion looks nicer
i hope its that one that will be released.

Schumi
12/12/2003, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by GavinZac
why are people putting down o'neills? is it because they're irish? they are a very successful brand and we should be proud to have them, rather than le coq or addidas, or worse still the nike throw away waterford have. Because they've done some awful jerseys, Bohs' current one being a case in point. Having said that, our current one is quite nice.

A face
12/12/2003, 1:00 PM
What do you think of their wetsuits though .....?? (http://www.southshoresurfandskate.co.uk/oneill_wetsuits.htm)

Macy
12/12/2003, 1:24 PM
by the way though, if you look at the home shirt close enough there seems to be a diffrence between Fenn;s shirt andFlynnies.
fenns one-the nissan and crest are very far apart and then flynnies ones are higher up the shirt,
Get used to every batch being different if our experience of O'Neill's is anything to go by....

A face
12/12/2003, 1:37 PM
Originally posted by Macy
Get used to every batch being different if our experience of O'Neill's is anything to go by....

Did you have a contract drawn up to guard against that happening.

pete
12/12/2003, 1:51 PM
I think people are moaning too much about the new jerseys mainly based on just a few pics.

O'Neills are going to PAY city to wear those jerseys. I severly doubt le Coq or Adidas do that?

Colm
12/12/2003, 1:56 PM
Originally posted by Macy

Well we had that problem with Le Coq. Small crests on some, big crests on others etc.

as well O'Neills are opening an office in cork soon

They are, in fact, moving their entire operation to Cork next year. So City will actually be wearing a Cork brand.
I tell ya something, if that doesn't display the pride and the passion of the Rebel Army I don't know what does!;)

James
12/12/2003, 1:58 PM
I tell ya something, if that doesn't display the pride and the passion of the Rebel Army I don't know what does!;)

i ask you ?
sounds like another piece of the jigsaw is fitting into place
the most positive off season in aaages and no jealousy from wws is going to change that..

:ball:

Peadar
12/12/2003, 2:17 PM
Well we had that problem with Le Coq. Small crests on some, big crests on others etc.

Did they put the crests on or was it someone else?
I remember some place in Killarney or somewhere doing the crests on the Ireland shirts for USA94 World Cup.

In answer to your question Pete I'd say most companies pay major teams to wear their kit. It would be small money compared to the profits made on selling replicas.
Slightly off the supject here but I was in London the other day and English Premiership shirts are GBP£30. They're €60 over here so that's GBP£11 of a difference.

ROI = Rip-off Ireland

James
12/12/2003, 2:23 PM
Originally posted by Peadar
Slightly off the supject here but I was in London the other day and English Premiership shirts are GBP£30. They're €60 over here so that's GBP£11 of a difference.

ROI = Rip-off Ireland

maybe you'd be better off supporting cork city so from Engerland and paying your taxes to the queen so peadar
:D