PDA

View Full Version : Lansdowne - Seat Problem

rebus2008
22/03/2009, 10:12 AM
Lads,
Anyone ese hear about the problem with large number of back rows in new stadia.
Apparantly, fancy wave roof design means that signifigant number of seats in last few rows cannot see far side of the pitch. (And thats just for football- whatever about high kicking and goal attempts in rugby). I heard it from several sources both on/off site. Also that architects involved in original design have agree to take out 10 year leases on worst affected seats. However, problem runs in several 100's.
Anyone else hear similar?
Apol's if covered elsewhere.
Surely this couldn't be correct?:o

Claret Murph
22/03/2009, 11:04 AM
If this is the case someone will have their nuts on the block .

Dodge
22/03/2009, 11:51 AM
Huge amount of seats in millenium stadium can't see half the pitch just to top tier overhanging. They installed TVs on the overhang. Still dreadful IMO

fionnsci
22/03/2009, 3:20 PM
It's a complete and utter **** take that they couldn't get this right. Someone should be shot for that.

Docboy
22/03/2009, 4:38 PM
It's funny that this has been brought up because I was only thinking that when I passed on the train the other week. Certainly looks that way. Ridiculous if true...

pete
22/03/2009, 5:02 PM
I don't see how the top rows would fail to see all the pitch unless the roof is very low.

Would not be uncommon not to be able to see high balls for rugby. In Croke Park if at the back of the bottom section can't see the top tiers if stand up.

rebus2008
22/03/2009, 7:35 PM
The quote from one of the construction lads was that signifigant % of seats in some of the last few rows can't see the "pitch".
There add on comment was that the only positive was if Kilbane was on that wing:).

My understanding (haven't been up that way) is that roof supports are in (not covered yet) and when u sit on the concrete steps (no seats yet), alot of these seats can't see far side of pitch.

That would indicate that for alot of people at ruby matches, they will lose sight of the ball very early when kicked up.

jbyrne
23/03/2009, 7:58 AM
Huge amount of seats in millenium stadium can't see half the pitch just to top tier overhanging. They installed TVs on the overhang. Still dreadful IMO

the issue in the millenium stadium is that in the back rows of the lowest tier you cant see the ball when its kicked high. my understanding is that you can still see the full pitch ok.

i severly doubt this lansdowne rumour is true

gspain
23/03/2009, 9:01 AM
I don't think there are any seats blocked in the Mill Stad but from the bottom tier you wouldn't be able to see high balls.

I assume Lansdowne Road is going straight up with a big overhang as opposed to Croke Park which seems to go back. If you have the room and go back then there are no obstructed views as in CP but fans are further from the pitch.

Dodge
23/03/2009, 9:29 AM
I don't think there are any seats blocked in the Mill Stad but from the bottom tier you wouldn't be able to see high balls.

You can't see past the 18 yard line on seats right at the back of the bottom tier (sideline view). As I said they installed TVs for fans to see everything

redobit
23/03/2009, 10:44 AM
A joke if true.
You cant see the goals or six yard box properly in the new tallaght stadium if you are sitting beside the end of stand closer thing, on the M50 side of the stand anyway.

gspain
23/03/2009, 1:50 PM
You can't see past the 18 yard line on seats right at the back of the bottom tier (sideline view). As I said they installed TVs for fans to see everything

Have you been in the seats?

I was at the back of the lower tier in 2003 at a rugby match and could see the whole pitch.

See this website also (again can't vouch for it's reliability). It suggests the small screens are there because you can't see the big screen.

http://www.ciao.co.uk/The_Millenium_Stadium_Cardiff__5288022

The relevant quote

The view in the stadium has been designed so that no seats have obstructed views. As well as this at either end of the stadium are two gigantic TV screens which give close up shots through out the game. If you are sat in the lower tiers where the upper stands can restrict the view of the large TV screens then they have added smaller TV screens so that everyone can see close up action. I live near Cardiff and have been to many matches and sat in various seats around the stadium. I also work part time in the hospitality boxes in the stadium. I can honestly say that the view from different stands in the stadium are very similar. If I had a preference I would choose to sit in the middle tier of the stadium as the top tier can seem very high up and you can sometimes end up watching the screen more than the pitch.

Dodge
23/03/2009, 1:58 PM
Yes I've sat in the seats, and yes my view was obstructed.

magnumpi
24/03/2009, 9:30 AM
anyone pressed the FAI for a line on this? dreadful if true

SuperDave
24/03/2009, 1:02 PM
HOK are apparently one of the top stadium design companies in the world.... I would be very surprised if this were true.... At Old Trafford, you can only just see the other side of the pitch from the top of the north stand, but you can see enough....

TBH it's much more of an issue for rugby fans than for us if it's true.

pete
24/03/2009, 1:23 PM
At Old Trafford, you can only just see the other side of the pitch from the top of the north stand, but you can see enough....

Patchwork (not greenfield) stadiums are always likely to have that issue.

TBH it's much more of an issue for rugby fans than for us if it's true.

I don't think rugby fans could expect to be able to see all high balls.

Bluetonic
25/03/2009, 11:20 AM
It's quite obvious from looking at all the section of the roof which is in place at the moment (the lower supports) and the back of the upper tier that there will be no problem with visibility of any part of the pitch from any seats.

No point in letting the visible facts get in the way of a good story though.

pineapple stu
25/03/2009, 11:35 AM
anyone pressed the FAI for a line on this? dreadful if true
Has anyone pressed the FAI for a line on a random post on the internet? Would you ever... Knee-jerk stuff.

(Not saying the original post is necessarily incorrect either)

Schumi
25/03/2009, 12:31 PM
It's quite obvious from looking at all the section of the roof which is in place at the moment (the lower supports) and the back of the upper tier that there will be no problem with visibility of any part of the pitch from any seats.

No point in letting the visible facts get in the way of a good story though.It's the back of the lower tier that's in question.

Bluetonic
25/03/2009, 12:45 PM
It's the back of the lower tier that's in question.

Really?

Anyone ese hear about the problem with large number of back rows in new stadia.
Apparantly, fancy wave roof design means that signifigant number of seats in last few rows cannot see far side of the pitch. (And thats just for football- whatever about high kicking and goal attempts in rugby).

There is no way the roof will affect seats on the back of the lower tiers, although I feel you (Schumi) have gotten your wires crossed somewhere.

Schumi
25/03/2009, 12:54 PM
Apologies, you're right. It was the Millenium Stadium example that concerned the lower tier.

Bluetonic
25/03/2009, 1:03 PM
Apologies, you're right. It was the Millenium Stadium example that concerned the lower tier.
It looks like it will be tight in Lansdowne, in that once the ball is in the corners at height the opposite upper side at the back will struggle for a view, but will be able to see the pitch at all times.

The worst I've seen in the back of the lower Bullens Road in Goodison Park. Once the ball is past the centre circle on the far side and a few meters off the ground your done for. Won't be bettered for atmosphere though so hopefully the tight roof to the upper tier in Lansdowne will help echo the noise in the upper tiers and create some decent atmosphere.

magnumpi
25/03/2009, 1:08 PM
Has anyone pressed the FAI for a line on a random post on the internet? Would you ever... Knee-jerk stuff.

(Not saying the original post is necessarily incorrect either)

well, sorry, but it a quick e-mail / call could end/confirm rumours. that's what you do when you want to know if somethings true or not, you ask the people involved.

pineapple stu
25/03/2009, 1:31 PM
And the people involved have better things to be doing than replying to every internet rumour going.

magnumpi
25/03/2009, 1:39 PM
yeah, actually now that you've said that i have heartfelt pity for the FAI employee who has to take 2 minutes out of his day to read the e-mail.

I imagine their inbox is bombarded with a deluge of questions regarding internet rumours everyday.

Conversation could go; "is their a problem with some seats in the new lansdowne road development having a restricted view?"

Answer: "no, that's b*****s" / "yes, there's a flaw in the design, and we're negotiating a claw back of fees from the architect".

Thanks. & apologies for making you do your job and answer people's queries.

Bluetonic
25/03/2009, 2:09 PM
yeah, actually now that you've said that i have heartfelt pity for the FAI employee who has to take 2 minutes out of his day to read the e-mail.

I imagine their inbox is bombarded with a deluge of questions regarding internet rumours everyday.

Conversation could go; "is their a problem with some seats in the new lansdowne road development having a restricted view?"

Answer: "no, that's b*****s" / "yes, there's a flaw in the design, and we're negotiating a claw back of fees from the architect".

Thanks. & apologies for making you do your job and answer people's queries.
Maybe you should apply for the job, you've obviously too much time on your hands.

magnumpi
26/03/2009, 12:36 PM
as Bluetonic and Pineapple Stu have rightly pointed out, I do in fact have way too much time on my hands.

here's the response i got. good news i'd say:

"Your query to the Lansdowne Road Stadium Development Company in relation to the stadium has been passed on to me. I have been conscious of these rumours over the past few weeks. It is a rumour and normally we wouldn't speculate on rumours but as this is reasonably easy to dispel here are the facts.
The capacity has always been 50,000 and we are happy to confirm that there will be 50,000 seats with unrestricted views of the pitch.

In addition there are a limited number of seats which could potentially have restricted views of the ground. We have, however, known about these from the outset. This is quite common in stadia. At this moment in time we are not certain whether we will even put seats into these locations. A final decision will be taken when the seats are actually being installed.

Further to that at the northern end of the ground as you will be aware there is only one tier. This is to ensure that there is no overshadowing of houses at that end of the ground.

The roof there does come down quite steeply and there is a pocket on each side where there could be restricted views. No decision whatsoever has however been taken on whether to put seats into those areas or not.

The one thing I would emphasise is that I can confirm that there will definitely be the 50,000 seats all with unrestricted and superb views of the pitch.

Hope that helps"

jbyrne
26/03/2009, 12:50 PM
The one thing I would emphasise is that I can confirm that there will definitely be the 50,000 seats all with unrestricted and superb views of the pitch.

Hope that helps"

i know someone involved with the project and the actual capacity is officially 50,500. id say the 500 are the ones that they may / may not actually install