PDA

View Full Version : McAteer for the Under 21's?

rambler14
21/03/2009, 9:41 PM
Said this morning on Soccer AM that when he finishes his B licence and progresses to his A licence that he would love to manage the Ireland U 21's!

I wouldn't complain if he took over, I wouldn't complain if Josef Fritzl took over from Don Givens who I think we all agree is a crap manager!

prince20
21/03/2009, 9:57 PM
Said this morning on Soccer AM that when he finishes his B licence and progresses to his A licence that he would love to manage the Ireland U 21's!

I wouldn't complain if he took over, I wouldn't complain if Josef Fritzl took over from Don Givens who I think we all agree is a crap manager!
Mr Fritzl is unavailable at the moment:)

tricky_colour
21/03/2009, 11:15 PM
Well he would certainly stop the team sneaking off to the pub.

tetsujin1979
22/03/2009, 1:00 AM
Clip is online here: http://www.skysports.com/video/clips/0,23791,13894_5080637,00.html?ssvTab=3&ssvSelectedTab=13312&ssvBasket=13894&ssvPage=1
Mentions the U-21s at the 4:50 mark

Weatherman
22/03/2009, 11:09 AM
i wouldnt let him run a marathon never mind a football team!!!:eek:

kingdomkerry
22/03/2009, 3:12 PM
Free Fritzl!

sullanefc
22/03/2009, 4:37 PM
i wouldnt let him run a marathon never mind a football team!!!:eek:

He couldn't be any worse than givens in fairness. Although I'm sure we can do better than McAteer. Would Aldridge be interested?

Edit: John Sheridan is idle at the moment.

happydays97
22/03/2009, 7:28 PM
Edit: John Sheridan is idle at the moment.

So is Roy Keane :cool:

elroy
22/03/2009, 8:02 PM
In fairness U21 job is a rough enough job, not many people would want the role. Im not standing up for givens by any means but usually the best players under 21 arent available to the manager as they are called up to the senior squad. Having said that Givens hasnt got the U21s even close to qualifying in recent times which isnt good enough.

Razors left peg
22/03/2009, 8:13 PM
Best kind of manager to have in that ranks is a young, ambitious guy hungry to be successful and work his way up the ranks. He doesn't strike me as coaching material but who knows!

totally agree with that, been saying it for years that our under 21 manager should be like his players and have ambitions to someday move into the Senior job.... Not McAteer for me though. I think Kenny Cunningham would be my choice of our ex internationals at the moment.He doesnt have any experience but he is very knowledgeable about the game from what Ive seen and was always an excellent organiser on the pitch

back of the net
22/03/2009, 9:08 PM
Best kind of manager to have in that ranks is a young, ambitious guy hungry to be successful and work his way up the ranks. He doesn't strike me as coaching material but who knows!

i second that - young and amnbitious - loved playng for ireland and wants to see ireland become a force again - why not give the guy a go once he gets the licence.

in fairness he wouldnt strike alot of ppl as coaching material but then again there have been players who alot of ppl would have presumed would have made great managers and when they got the chance they didnt cut it

id love to see mcateer get a chance

Stuttgart88
23/03/2009, 12:01 PM
Isn't that how Croatia blooded Slaven Bilic?

macdermesser
23/03/2009, 12:22 PM
Stan is also out of a job at the moment

frog-gufc
23/03/2009, 6:30 PM
Stan is also out of a job at the moment:p id rather see scumbag keano back,
seriously though id like to see aldridge take over if givens ever went, he done a good job with tranmere back in the day

Razors left peg
23/03/2009, 6:34 PM
:p id rather see scumbag keano back,
seriously though id like to see aldridge take over if givens ever went, he done a good job with tranmere back in the day

Aldo talks some awful rubbish when he is a pundit though, doesnt inspire confidence that he would be good for us as a manager anyway.

macdermesser
24/03/2009, 12:16 PM
:p id rather see scumbag keano back,

ha ....

aldridge, chris hughton, david kelly, john sheridan .. stephen kenny ... there are a lot of possible candidates there in the unlikely event that the job becomes free soon.

PartySaint
24/03/2009, 12:25 PM
I think Kenny Cunningham

With Gary Breen as his assistant, that would be immense

as_i_say
25/03/2009, 7:39 AM
So is Roy Keane :cool:

So am I and so is my 82 year old granny and we would both probably do a better job in fairness

cavan_fan
25/03/2009, 8:34 AM
The right choice would be Brian Kerr, hes an underused asset in Irish football.

Deckydee
25/03/2009, 9:16 AM
The right choice would be Brian Kerr, hes an underused asset in Irish football.

I second that. Maybe a jump too far for the senior team but would do well here.