PDA

View Full Version : Man U

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

KK77
07/07/2009, 1:21 PM
Don't know about Owen but I have read an interview with Fowler where he said the only two clubs he cared about as a kid were Everton and Rangers.

As a kid!

DeLorean
07/07/2009, 1:26 PM
Isn't Owen an Everton supporter as well?

According to Wiki he is anyway...
Michael Owen Early Life (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Owen#Early_life)

tetsujin1979
07/07/2009, 2:33 PM
So was Ian Rush, I believe

Metrostars
07/07/2009, 3:50 PM
And Steven Gerrard. http://farm1.static.flickr.com/157/349822293_083f911762.jpg?v=0

John83
07/07/2009, 4:20 PM
...If he were an Inter player moving to Juventus after two years at the San Siro for example no-one in Italy would bat an eyelid...
No one would think it strange, but the Inter fans would hate him for it. And in Italy, that means rocks and petrol.

KK77
08/07/2009, 8:17 AM
And Steven Gerrard. http://farm1.static.flickr.com/157/349822293_083f911762.jpg?v=0

A hell of a lot of great reds blues growing up! Easy to see why they are the bitters:D:D:D:

Roadend
08/07/2009, 8:25 AM

Ah yes, the wonders of photoshop

Macy
08/07/2009, 8:41 AM
Ah yes, the wonders of photoshop
No, he is just about old enough to have his photo taken with a league trophy in merseyside.

Roadend
08/07/2009, 9:31 AM
That was proven to be a false photo:p

Denis The Red
08/07/2009, 9:28 PM
I can't believe this hasn't been absolutely slated. Maybe it's so mental that people didn't even know where to begin. Owen has pretty much a goal to every other game ratio so how can his entire career be revolved around one goal. Yes, it was a very high profile goal but you could hardly argue that he promised more than he delivered, scoring another 39 goals for England including a hat-trick in Germany. He won the FA Cup for Liverpool turning defeat into victory with 2 great goals. He scored 118 times for Liverpool in 216 games and even at Madrid, where he was considered a failure by most, he scored 18 times in 41 appearances (only 15 of which were starts)ref-Wiki!! Yes, I can see how you would compare his contribution to a defensive midfielder who just happened to score one famous goal.:confused: By the way, Jensen also scored once for Arsenal!!

Well we were all waiting for you to look up wikipedia before my post got slated.
First, I may have been a little harsh by summing up his entire career on one goal but you have to agree that his entire career has been based on the one thing he now lacks, speed.
Second, my grandmother could have scored against Germany that night, they were awful. Even Heskey scored that night, what's his goal to game ratio mr. wikipedia, I couldn't be ars*d looking it up.
Third, yes his goals won the F.A. cup final but lets admit it they shouldn't have because Arsenal should've had the game wrapped up at this stage. Not his problem I suppose.
Finally, I didn't say John Jensen never scored for Arsenal, I said it took him nearly 100 games before he did so.
Look, I'm a Man U fan and I wish him the best of luck while he's playing for them. I hope he scores 42 goals, wins the treble and gets FIFA player of the year in his first season. I will support him but I don't know what Fergie is thinking by this signing. He did nothing to help Newcastle stay up and I'm sure injuries will always be an excuse, it's an excuse not to sign him as well. I'm just glad he cost nothing.
Well they do say God works in mysterious ways.

Closed Account 2
09/07/2009, 12:11 AM
I think he's like Ronaldo (the podgy one)... Pace was a key aspect of his game but since all the injuries he just doesnt seem to be the same threat as an attacker. 10 years ago he was world class but now I think his legs are gone. I watched a few Newcastle games at the end of last season and you could tell that a combination of two from Viduka, Martins, Lovernkrands (in a forward role) and even Andrew Carroll, were more likely to be a threat than him. I think if he drops down and plays at a lower level (something like the Dutch league, Championship in England or SPL) then he would thrive much in the way Ronaldo now is looking like a good player at Corinthians back in Brazil

DeLorean
09/07/2009, 9:36 AM
Well we were all waiting for you to look up wikipedia before my post got slated.

That would explain the delay alright.

First, I may have been a little harsh by summing up his entire career on one goal but you have to agree that his entire career has been based on the one thing he now lacks, speed.

It's hard to know how quick or slow he is these days as any matches he plays he seems to be just back from a long lay off. Obviously as the years go by he's only going to be getting slower. Although speed was his major attribute when at his best, he also scored loads of goals by being in the right place and having the ability to finish his chances.

Second, my grandmother could have scored against Germany that night, they were awful. Even Heskey scored that night

Although I agree they were an ordinary German side and particularly poor that night they still ended up in the WC Final conceding only one goal en route.

what's his goal to game ratio mr. wikipedia, I couldn't be ars*d looking it up.

I don't see the problem with using Wikipedia to confirm what I already think. If I check it and it turns out I was wrong then it'll have saved me posting uneducated rubbish.

Third, yes his goals won the F.A. cup final but lets admit it they shouldn't have because Arsenal should've had the game wrapped up at this stage. Not his problem I suppose.

Yes, definitely not his problem. If anything it shows how valuable he was having the ability to win a match for his team when they were totally outplayed.

Finally, I didn't say John Jensen never scored for Arsenal, I said it took him nearly 100 games before he did so.

Fair enough.

I don't know what Fergie is thinking by this signing. He did nothing to help Newcastle stay up and I'm sure injuries will always be an excuse, it's an excuse not to sign him as well. I'm just glad he cost nothing.

It's pretty obvious what Ferguson is thinking really. A no risk signing. I'm sure injuries will always be used as an excuse, and a pretty valid one in my opinion if they continue.

coast boy
09/07/2009, 9:38 AM
I think if he drops down and plays at a lower level (something like the Dutch league, Championship in England or SPL) then he would thrive much in the way Ronaldo now is looking like a good player at Corinthians back in Brazil[/quote]

I agree. Its amazing all the United fans saying what a good bit of business it is by ferguson. If he had signed for Chelsea or Arsenal they would be slating it. And this new signing Obertan couldnt even get on the Borbeaux team. I think Valencia is a good player but he's no replacement for Ronaldo. He only scored 2 goals last year. I do think Rooney will be a better player with Ronaldo gone though. Ferguson really needed Benzema or Ribery but wont get either.

Macy
09/07/2009, 9:42 AM
I agree. Its amazing all the United fans saying what a good bit of business it is by ferguson. If he had signed for Chelsea or Arsenal they would be slating it.
I think most are saying it could be a good bit of business. It's a no risk one - he cost nothing, he's on pay as you play (low basic, rest appearance based), so if he gets a few crucial goals it will be excellent business.

I do think Rooney will be a better player with Ronaldo gone though. Ferguson really needed Benzema or Ribery but wont get either.
I agree about Rooney, obviously we'll have to wait and see on that one how much better. I'm not that fussed about Benzema, who was the only realistic target of the two.

coast boy
09/07/2009, 9:47 AM
I agree about Rooney, obviously we'll have to wait and see on that one how much better. I'm not that fussed about Benzema, who was the only realistic target of the two.[/quote]

Who are they realistically goin to play up front with Rooney? In my opinion Owen wont cut it or else will be injured and Berbatov should never be playing with a club like United. He is the laziest player iv seen in a long time.

DeLorean
09/07/2009, 9:58 AM
Its amazing all the United fans saying what a good bit of business it is by ferguson

I think most United fans feel it's a no risk signing, which it is. It could be a good bit of business by Ferguson but then again it might amount to nothing. I think it's worth trying out, nothing ventured nothing gained. Would I be worried if Arsenal, Liverpool or Chelsea had signed him?- probably not but that's not to say it wouldn't have worked out for them.

Macy
09/07/2009, 10:03 AM
Who are they realistically goin to play up front with Rooney? In my opinion Owen wont cut it or else will be injured and Berbatov should never be playing with a club like United. He is the laziest player iv seen in a long time.
At the moment I'd expect it to Berbatov, and tbh I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt - this will be his first pre season and his first full season at the club.

coast boy
09/07/2009, 10:52 AM
At the moment I'd expect it to Berbatov, and tbh I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt - this will be his first pre season and his first full season at the club.[/quote]

I wouldnt be overly afraid of that strikeforce. Rooney is class but scores in bursts and then doesnt score for a few games. Torres, Van Persie, Drogba are a lot more frightening to be honest.

Shannon Boy
09/07/2009, 11:24 AM
I think if he drops down and plays at a lower level (something like the Dutch league, Championship in England or SPL) then he would thrive much in the way Ronaldo now is looking like a good player at Corinthians back in Brazil

I agree. Its amazing all the United fans saying what a good bit of business it is by ferguson. If he had signed for Chelsea or Arsenal they would be slating it. And this new signing Obertan couldnt even get on the Borbeaux team. I think Valencia is a good player but he's no replacement for Ronaldo. He only scored 2 goals last year. I do think Rooney will be a better player with Ronaldo gone though. Ferguson really needed Benzema or Ribery but wont get either.[/quote]

personally i think valencia will shine at united.he has great pace and can cross a great ball and even defend something ronaldo wouldn't do.maybe berbatov,rooney and owen will score more goals when valencia's delivery is shown.also i hope hargreeves gets back to full fitness haven't seen alot of him but when he has played,hes played great roles. i.e scoring in the penalty shoot out against chelsea and slotting in at right back when they needed him.aguero is a class act which we need to buy.him and rooney would be some strike force.we need to hold onto vidic for as long as we can also as alot of clubs are asking about him.a brilliant signing.if hargreeves doesnt improve then i would turn to yaya toure.all talk about ronaldo and messi being world palyer of the year and theirs no mention abou xavi or iniesta.they ran the show against man united in the champions league final.

DeLorean
09/07/2009, 3:15 PM
Last I heard it wasn't looking too good for Hargreaves. I agree he would be a key player if fit. He looked class, when selected, in his first season there and I honestly don't think they would have won either competition without him.

NeilMcD
09/07/2009, 8:12 PM
I think that the fact that teams must have more players in their Champions League squad that are borin the country of the club has influenced Fergusons decision I think.

old git
09/07/2009, 9:50 PM
I think if he drops down and plays at a lower level (something like the Dutch league, Championship in England or SPL) then he would thrive much in the way Ronaldo now is looking like a good player at Corinthians back in Brazil

I agree. Its amazing all the United fans saying what a good bit of business it is by ferguson. If he had signed for Chelsea or Arsenal they would be slating it. And this new signing Obertan couldnt even get on the Borbeaux team. I think Valencia is a good player but he's no replacement for Ronaldo. He only scored 2 goals last year. I do think Rooney will be a better player with Ronaldo gone though. Ferguson really needed Benzema or Ribery but wont get either.[/QUOTE]

we will have to wait and see how it all works out.. just remember the same was said when ferguson signed van nistlroyd after his bad injury and a certain christano ronaldo a virtual unknown portugese young player both of these did not work out to bad at utd ... :ball:

coast boy
10/07/2009, 7:42 AM
we will have to wait and see how it all works out.. just remember the same was said when ferguson signed van nistlroyd after his bad injury and a certain christano ronaldo a virtual unknown portugese young player both of these did not work out to bad at utd ... :ball:[/quote]

Thats true but Van Nistleroy had a fantastic scoring record at the time. Wasnt much of a gamble really. Your goin to say Owen has a great record too but how many years ago was that? What has he done recently only lose his England place and be injured all the time. And Ronaldo was unknown outside of Portugal but as i can remember the players convinced Fergie to buy him. He was young and had potential but i suppose no-one knew how great he'd turn out.

coast boy
10/07/2009, 7:44 AM
Looks like Villa is goin to Barcelona but Aguero is still available. I'd be surprised if he moved to England though. Probably stay in Spain. What a signing he would be for any club.

John83
10/07/2009, 10:47 AM
Thats true but Van Nistleroy had a fantastic scoring record at the time. Wasnt much of a gamble really.
After that injury? Yes, it was.

Your goin to say Owen has a great record too but how many years ago was that?
I'd pretty much thought the same, but his record isn't bad at all. He scored 23 goals in 62 games in his last two seasons at Newcastle. With better service, who knows?

DeLorean
10/07/2009, 10:53 AM
Thats true but Van Nistleroy had a fantastic scoring record at the time.

As did Dirk Kuyt:rolleyes:

rambler14
10/07/2009, 1:53 PM
Lee Cattermole would be a great signing for Man Utd in my opinion. Sunderland have apparently lodged a bid for him and seeing as Fergie is always keen on looking at players for the future I would like to see him hijack the bid.
Since he broke in to the Middlesbrough team when he was 17 and onwards to Wigan he has been very impressive and to me he looks like a replacemnt for Roy Keane.

old git
10/07/2009, 5:41 PM
Lee Cattermole would be a great signing for Man Utd in my opinion. Sunderland have apparently lodged a bid for him and seeing as Fergie is always keen on looking at players for the future I would like to see him hijack the bid.
Since he broke in to the Middlesbrough team when he was 17 and onwards to Wigan he has been very impressive and to me he looks like a replacemnt for Roy Keane.

cattermole a replacement for roy keane ... i assume you were joking :D:D

rambler14
10/07/2009, 5:42 PM
cattermole a replacement for roy keane ... i assume you were joking :D:D

Not immediately but give him a few years.

DmanDmythDledge
10/07/2009, 5:47 PM
I hate when people tout some obscure player as the next big thing just to make it look like they know loads when in reality they haven't a clue what they are on about.

old git
12/07/2009, 11:12 AM
Not immediately but give him a few years.

how many more years !!!!!.. he has been around the preimership long enough now and still playing with one of the so-called weaker teams why have utd / chelsea / arsenal / liverpool not shown any intrest so far :ball:

lionelhutz
13/07/2009, 11:07 AM

Please God tell me you're taking the ****....

coast boy
13/07/2009, 1:16 PM
rambler14 must be Lee Cattermole's agent.

Jofspring
13/07/2009, 4:05 PM
In the sports news that Fergie has come out and said Man U will not be buying anymore players.

cartman
14/07/2009, 2:18 AM
I hate when people tout some obscure player as the next big thing just to make it look like they know loads when in reality they haven't a clue what they are on about.

I hate when people tout a 1 legged, paceless, gutless wonder as the next big thing just because alex ferguson has signed him, when in reality you haven't a clue what you're on about :-)

Give me cattermerole over owen any day - i would be in shock if united win the league this season with the squad they have at the moment. They have sold two of their three most potent strikers and ferguson has replaced them with michael owen!!

Lads, theres a reason that hull, stoke, etc. were after owen - thats his level now at best. Did anybody actually watch owen this season??

I honestly can't say own is anywhere near what united have in reserve at the moment in wellbeck and macheda. So, united will be starting rooney and berba up front - Rooney is a superb player when on form, but berbatov!! Give me strength..

coast boy
14/07/2009, 7:55 AM
I honestly can't say own is anywhere near what united have in reserve at the moment in wellbeck and macheda. So, united will be starting rooney and berba up front - Rooney is a superb player when on form, but berbatov!! Give me strength..[/QUOTE]

Maybe Macheda will get a run in the team next year. I can see Fergie starting with Berbatov and Rooney but eventually losing patience and giving Macheda a chance. He should have done all he could to keep Tevez happy last year and got rid of Berbatov.

elroy
14/07/2009, 9:49 AM
He should have done all he could to keep Tevez.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/archives/2009/0713/sport/eykfidojeycw/

If you believe this, he apparently did.

endabob1
14/07/2009, 9:53 AM
I think Owen is a masterstroke (and I'm no Utd fan) he will be used sparingly, whereas at a Stoke, Hull etc he would have to play every week, he works well with Rooney and will compliment Berbatov in a good blend of Pace & Guile.
It's undoubtedly a risk but Fergie has done it before with Bland (when it didn't work) and Larrson when it did.
If I was a Utd fan I'd be more concerned about the centre of midfield, it looks seriously lightweight compared to the other skyballbig4.

Neish
14/07/2009, 9:54 AM
http://www.breakingnews.ie/archives/2009/0713/sport/eykfidojeycw/

If you believe this, he apparently did.

If Ferguson had played him more regulary than that lazy berbatov h*re he would of stayed

DeLorean
14/07/2009, 10:21 AM

So basically you're saying it's easier to score goals at a lower level, think that's a given. Surely Owen should only be credited for wanting to play at the highest level he can.

Its amazing all the United fans saying what a good bit of business it is by ferguson. If he had signed for Chelsea or Arsenal they would be slating it

But why would United fans be happy if they thought Owen was going to turn out to be useless, that makes no sense.

If I was a Utd fan I'd be more concerned about the centre of midfield, it looks seriously lightweight compared to the other skyballbig4.

Agreed.

gustavo
14/07/2009, 11:41 AM
If Ferguson had played him more regulary than that lazy berbatov h*re he would of stayed

He played in 2 less games than Berbatov and match going United fans would rate Berbatov higher than Tevez

DeLorean
14/07/2009, 12:21 PM
match going United fans would rate Berbatov higher than Tevez

Didn't sound like that from watching on TV. For most of the season Berbatov was ahead of Tevez in the pecking order. He was injured for a while and Tevez caught up on games a bit.

Neish
14/07/2009, 9:56 PM
He played in 2 less games than Berbatov and match going United fans would rate Berbatov higher than Tevez

Well after seeing the response he got when he was subbed off in his last game at Old Trafford(vs Arsenal if memory serves) I belive he was a lot more favoured than. Berbatov. Tevez gives 100% in every game he plays, if the ball isn't in Berbatov's imediate area he doesn't seem bothered

DmanDmythDledge
14/07/2009, 9:59 PM
Well after seeing the response he got when he was subbed off in his last game at Old Trafford(vs Arsenal if memory serves) I belive he was a lot more favoured than Berbatov
Doesn't mean the fans didn't think that Berbatov performed better (which they did).

Neish
14/07/2009, 10:09 PM
Doesn't mean the fans didn't think that Berbatov performed better (which they did).

Granted Berbatov's scoring rate per game played was higher then Tevez's, but that kinda happens when one player rarely ventures out side the attacking half of the pitch and the other run up and down the pitch all day. Tevez would probably of scored a lot more if he just hung around in the last 3rd of the pitch like Berbatov

Denis The Red
14/07/2009, 10:39 PM
In the sports news that Fergie has come out and said Man U will not be buying anymore players.

Yeah, heard that too, and I only hope Fergie is up to his old tricks with the media because as endabob1 said...

I'd be more concerned about the centre of midfield, it looks seriously lightweight compared to the other skyballbig4.

we really need a midfielder as was so obvious in the Champions League final when Xavi and Iniesta made it look like they were playing in a school playground.
If I were a real sadist (and I've been known to be at times), I'd put in a bid for Alonso:D. I rate the guy highly and think he's better than Carrick. P1ss of those scousers no end.
Although I don't think he'll stay in the Premier League.
C'mon Fergie spend some of that 80 million!!!

DeLorean
15/07/2009, 11:28 AM
match going United fans would rate Berbatov higher than Tevez

How do ye draw these conclusions and why is the match goers opinion so much more valuable than the couch potato when all of United's games are televised now? If anything I have a better feel for a match when seeing it on TV (depending on where I'm seated in the stadium of course). You do miss the off the ball stuff on TV but in the case of Berbatov you're missing zero unlike Tevez.

elroy
15/07/2009, 11:48 AM

Is he going to play with City much more than he did at United?? With adebayor, robinho, santa cruz, bellamy, caicedo, chances are he might not.

I see Stewart Downing is on his way to Villa, wonder does this pave the way for a move for Ashley Young to United as the rumour was at the wkd. Would be a fantastic signing for united.

DeLorean
15/07/2009, 12:08 PM
Is he going to play with City much more than he did at United?? With adebayor, robinho, santa cruz, bellamy, caicedo, chances are he might not.

It'll be interesting anyway. I'd rate Tevez much higher than all of those guys to be honest but he'll have to try to keep the rest happy. Presume Robinho will just be played on the left, Wright-Phillips on the right with one from Adebayor/Santa Cruz and one from Tevez/Bellamy up front. Bellamy may play out right instead of Wright-Phillips as well I suppose. Presume the likes of Caicedo can forget about it from here on. Makes me wonder as well why they wanted to keep Daniel Sturridge so badly when he couldn't even get in their more modest line up last year, although he does look a really good prospect.

I see Stewart Downing is on his way to Villa, wonder does this pave the way for a move for Ashley Young to United as the rumour was at the wkd. Would be a fantastic signing for united.

Or will Villa try to transform him into a cental midfielder as a replacement for Barry. Don't think it'll really work if they do as his main attribute is his pace going down the left and getting good balls in. Himself and Young both need to be played on the left really so you might be onto something alright.

Macy
16/07/2009, 12:01 PM
How do ye draw these conclusions and why is the match goers opinion so much more valuable than the couch potato when all of United's games are televised now?
Because they see the whole game, not just what TV shows, and they're also paying in week in week out - a crap player has more of an impact on them than someone who's just pressed remote. They're also less swayed by what people in the media say, and appreciate more than running around a lot which is what seems to be the main arguement for Tevez.