PDA

View Full Version : Northern Ireland ar Ibrox

Paddy Ramone
09/12/2003, 12:40 PM
According to the following link NorthernIreland may play their home game against England at Ibrox to bring in more cash.

www.irelandssaturday.co.uk/international/story.jsp?story=470800 (www.irelandssaturdaynight.co.uk/international/story.jsp?story=470800)

With the possibility of the Republic of Ireland playing it's home games at Celtic Park, it seems like both national teams are beginning to seem more and more like the Old Firm.

lopez
09/12/2003, 1:09 PM
Unfortunately that's what many 'supporters' of these two teams would like to see.:(

Beavis
09/12/2003, 2:32 PM
Cannot see the logic in even suggesting Ibrox.
Surely this would further cause catholics to feel unwelcome at Northern Ireland matches and discourage nationalists from declaring for the north.(which might work out nicely for us so actually I'm all for it;) )

gspain
10/12/2003, 3:06 PM
This is rubbish paper talk.

They've confirmed all home games for Windsor and fair play to them for not taking the cash and going to england/Scotland where they could sellout Old Tafford a few times over for the England game.

I appreciate a lot of our posturing is to embarrass the government and get equal funding for the country's most popular sport but it would be a real disaster if we moved our games due to having only 22,000 seats and NI left theirs at home with 12,000.

Duncan Gardner
13/12/2003, 10:04 AM
I think it's about 13,500 Gary.

I would like to see NI play a friendly at another ground- if Latvia can get to the Finals with an 8,000 stadium, we should be able to play at Ballymena or Glenavon?

Slash/ED
13/12/2003, 5:01 PM
We wont have the 22,000 now. That's no longer an option. Lansedown will be a building site when we play our qualifyers.

It looks like Croker will be there for the big clashes but it leaves us in a bad position for the smaller ones. If you ask me, the FAI should just put money towards Tolka/Dalymount/Tallaght and play our small matches there while Lansedown is out of use.

lopez
13/12/2003, 6:50 PM
Originally posted by Slash/ED
We wont have the 22,000 now. That's no longer an option. Lansedown will be a building site when we play our qualifyers.

It looks like Croker will be there for the big clashes but it leaves us in a bad position for the smaller ones. If you ask me, the FAI should just put money towards Tolka/Dalymount/Tallaght and play our small matches there while Lansedown is out of use.
Agreed. If it is just for one campaign - and it is a BIG IF - it's not going to hurt too much playing the game against the Faroes at one of the above stadiums. Still, if the FAI can sell 50,000 tickets in blocks for Croke Park, then why not stick with that. If the redevelopment of Lansdowne goes ahead, the Grab All Association will be rid of us forever, so they may as well make some money out of the garrison games.

MikeW
14/12/2003, 12:21 PM
They'd be able to get a decent crowd into Croke Park even for the lesser qualifiers against the Faroes and Cyprus purely out of the novelty value of seeing a football game in Croke Park. That'd bring people out in their thousands who wouldn't normallly go, especially if the new stadium was being built in the meantime meaning it might never happen again.

I'd say they'd easily exceed 50,000 at either of those games depending on ticket prices and obviously the availability of the stadium. If the game was on in an unrestricted Lansdowne you could have expected 30,000 anyway, so I think its reasonable to say you'd get a lot more at Croke Park.

A face
14/12/2003, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Slash/ED
Tolka/Dalymount/Tallaght

Which one though ... they all need it !!

Ozymandias
15/12/2003, 1:13 PM
I must have missed something..I didn't realise there was a stadium in Tallaght......Bob the builder must have made it with Muck,scoop and dizzy while i was asleep....

Slash/ED
15/12/2003, 5:10 PM
There's something there alright, a half shell of a stand anyway.

lopez
17/12/2003, 6:29 PM
Originally posted by davros
Yes,depends on whether the 'Ulster fry'contingent,lie yerself turn out,g(l)ory-hunters or otherwise......
Three posts from the man (see also LRd re-development and derry & cliftonville) who has spent the last week as Ben Kingsley's stunt double in Thunderbirds The Movie...erm...sorry...an extra with Colin Farrell on the set of Alexander The Great (Who said shirtlifters couldn't fight?). Yet not one makes any sense except having a pop at the alleged girth of a certain guest Northern poster. It's not like you're an eejit Hood man.:rolleyes:

lopez
18/12/2003, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by davros
Should corroberate part of the above....& apologise for allowing petty squabbles to drift on these august pages..........simply that the artiste,DG has been guilty of more inertia in recent months than the Walls of China/Berlin respectively........& his obscure postings are partially to blame!
Post number four. :rolleyes: Me thinks you've been on the sesh too much with young Farrell. Either that or overdone it with the Moroccan Old Holborn:D