PDA

View Full Version : UCD 3-0 Monaghan

John83
20/03/2009, 9:03 PM
McMillan 27
Kilduff 31, 88

Team: Barron, Harding, Shortall, Leahy, Boyle, Creevy, Reilly (McMahon 85), Finn, Kilduff, D McMillan (E McMillan, 2nd half), Mulhall. Unused subs: Nangle, Ward, Brenna

Top of the league again. :cool:

DeNiro
20/03/2009, 9:11 PM
What were Kilduff's goals like? Was it a good performance overall?

John83
20/03/2009, 9:26 PM
I have only Schumi's updates here (http://twitter.com/ucdupdates) to go on. He described Kilduff's first goal as, "He broke through on the left and rounded the keeper." and his second one as, "Squeezed under the keeper."

DmanDmythDledge
20/03/2009, 9:42 PM
What were Kilduff's goals like? Was it a good performance overall?
First goal Finn got the ball around centre circle and broke forward pretty easily, no Monaghan players were closed him down at all. Through ball to Kilduff who calmly rounded the keeper and slotted into empty net.

His second came towards the end, can't really remebered it. Kind of a scrappy finish, keeper got something to the ball but it went under him.

First time I've seen us this season and I thought we were pretty good. Kilduff and McMillan were great upfront and Reilly and Mulhall on the wings also impressed. Monaghan weren't at the races at all in midfield or attack and never looked dangerous, though our defence failed to deal with a few balls into the box, particularly Barron who I thought was crap.

pineapple stu
21/03/2009, 1:15 AM
Yeah, Barron's still learning the ropes; nearly cost us a goal when he completely missed a ball at the edge of the box, but Mons couldn't get someone off the ground quick enough to tap into the empty net. He'll learn though.

Would still expect Mons to be top half; we've nine points from three games against probable top half teams, and now have Harps and Kildare to come. An exceptional start so far.

Kilduff's goals were well taken; very similar - both a case of holding the defender off to slot home in a one-on-one position (with a defender trailing). An excellent player.

Poor Student
21/03/2009, 4:17 PM
I'm hoping Barron will settle. We all remember how shakey Gregg was in his first season with us. I don't think he's helped by the defence in front of him. The centre half pairing of Boyle and Leahy lack height and we look ropey every time a half decent ball is whipped into the box. I think MacMillan and Shorthall/Leahy would be a better pairing.

Attacking wise the game was very positive. Kilduff was great. Took two goals under pressure very well. David MacMillan's goal was similarly excellent. Ronan Finn pulled the strings in midfield and is excelling at this level without appearing to break a sweat. Harding and Mullhall worked excellent on the right wing and piled on the pressure with roving runs. I feel the left side is a bit weak as we're playing two right footers on that side and it's hard to overlap.

Overall it was a very satisfying performance and the players looked hungry and worked very hard. Here's hoping we can keep it up. The trip to Donegal next week will be a big test.

colmanthesaint
22/03/2009, 9:46 AM
I'm hoping Barron will settle. We all remember how shakey Gregg was in his first season with us. I don't think he's helped by the defence in front of him. The centre half pairing of Boyle and Leahy lack height and we look ropey every time a half decent ball is whipped into the box. I think MacMillan and Shorthall/Leahy would be a better pairing.

Attacking wise the game was very positive. Kilduff was great. Took two goals under pressure very well. David MacMillan's goal was similarly excellent. Ronan Finn pulled the strings in midfield and is excelling at this level without appearing to break a sweat. Harding and Mullhall worked excellent on the right wing and piled on the pressure with roving runs. I feel the left side is a bit weak as we're playing two right footers on that side and it's hard to overlap.

Overall it was a very satisfying performance and the players looked hungry and worked very hard. Here's hoping we can keep it up. The trip to Donegal next week will be a big test.

good analysis, especially on the lack of height down the middle. That was why Evan McMillan came on!

Real lack of balance in the side as there's no left footed player in the team! :eek:

Still though, a lot to be positive about. The league campaign starts from here though, first 3 games have all been in Dublin so the team have yet to go out on the road yet and test themselves.

Anyone tell me which lad is Leahy and which is Boyle?

Who's the blondie lad and who's the taller dark skin headed lad?!

Poor Student
22/03/2009, 10:12 AM
good analysis, especially on the lack of height down the middle. That was why Evan McMillan came on!

Cheers. Actually on that note, we appeared to go 5-4-1 when Evan came on and totally lost shape and attacking initiative. We looked like we were defending a 1-0 lead in the European Cup final not winning comfortably 3-0 at home.

Anyone tell me which lad is Leahy and which is Boyle?

Who's the blondie lad and who's the taller dark skin headed lad?!

I think Leahy is the blonde guy and Boyle is the other? Boyle's the one who had a couple of dody moments against Limerick and Fingal.

I seem to be doing a lot of moaning but overall I am impressed with the team and really enjoying coming to watch them.

pineapple stu
22/03/2009, 5:14 PM
Believe it or not, we went 5-2-3! It was apparently to counter the expected Monaghan onslaught while giving counter-attacking opportunities. And, it could be argued, it worked.

Colie
27/03/2009, 7:17 PM
Our goals were class. I love division 1 we really get to play footy. Highlight for me was the confetti incident. This league has it all!