PDA

View Full Version : Republic of Ireland V Bulgaria - Saturday, 28th March 2009 - World Cup 2010 Q

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

richieos
19/03/2009, 8:50 PM
I think the team will be:
Given, McShane, Dunne, O'Shea, Kilbane, Mcgeady, Whelan, Andrews, Duff, Keane, Doyle.

although i would have hoped for foley instead of McShane. Id even prefer Kelly or Carr.

I honestly think we can win this game 1-0 or 2-1

back of the net
19/03/2009, 9:01 PM
I think the team will be:
Given, McShane, Dunne, O'Shea, Kilbane, Mcgeady, Whelan, Andrews, Duff, Keane, Doyle.

although i would have hoped for foley instead of McShane. Id even prefer Kelly or Carr.

I honestly think we can win this game 1-0 or 2-1

agree with everything you said on team lineup and prediction But i dont want to see carr play for ireland again.

Was a great player but not good enough now - he has retired from INTL football anyway- better for every1 he stays retired imo

Hibernian
19/03/2009, 9:02 PM
Im going for Ireland to win 2-0

I think Bulgaria will be tough but I think they lack confidence at the moment and even with new manager I think Irerland will have too much in the tank for them

kingdomkerry
19/03/2009, 9:13 PM
ireland 2-1 bulgaria
italy 0-0 ireland

Hibernian
19/03/2009, 9:45 PM
ireland 2-1 bulgaria
italy 0-0 ireland

i would be vey pleased if those two results were for real..

I really do think Italy are there for taking but im still very worried by our midfield..

I think we have enough for Bulgaria but i think draw is best we get against Italy.

4 points would be good job done

centre mid
19/03/2009, 11:08 PM
This is going to be an incredibly difficult week, I expect us to beat Bulgaria but we need to be at 100%. A drew would be a brilliant result in Bari, although I'd take the win there if you offered it to me. We cant afford to have any injury to a key player between now and April 2nd. I'd have liked Stephen Ireland to contact Trap and make himself available for the Bulgaria game but hey-ho. Cant wait for it actually..........

Crosby87
19/03/2009, 11:47 PM
Im not even thinking about Italy honestly.
I think after the Georgia start they will come out better and take charge. Although giving up the early goal to Georgia seemed like a good thing ultimately. Sometimes that stuff can spurn you on.
Eire 4-2

mackannovic
19/03/2009, 11:59 PM
Really don't want to see Andrews playing, but I've a terrible feeling he will.

TerryPhelan
20/03/2009, 12:15 AM
Lads, I can only admire the optimism but it is to my great sadness that I cannot share it. I'm afraid I don't see Ireland as being anywhere near clinical enough to knock any more than 2 goals past any team in this group, and Bulgaria will be the technically strongest team we will have come up against: the first 'real' team we've faced, as Dunphy might put it.

I think this game has a score draw written all over it. The Bulgarians will have watched the Polish and Georgian games and will certainly come out on the offensive and try and unsettle us early on. How ready we will be for this, mentally and tactically, is anyone's guess. I don't for a minute think that Trap would neglect to impress the importance of standing firm from the off to his players, but the nerves generated by the event can dislodge even the best-taught of lessons. I think we will score, but I also think we will concede - at least once. It will just be that type of game. Plenty of talking points. Lots of chances - heart-in-mouth moments. Both teams know how important this is for the fate of their standing in the group.

I don't see us thrashing anybody these days, but I don't see anybody thrashing us either. Two goals are all that will be in it. The most optimistic prediction that I can allow myself in the circumstances is the following:

Ireland 2 Bulgaria 2
Italy 1 Ireland 1

Two points would be a decidedly positive return and a huge boost to our qualification hopes. Firstly, we stay unbeaten, which reinforces the team's morale and the belief in Trap's methods. Secondly, we maintain the distance between the Bulgars and ourselves (don't forget that they drew with Italy - a result we may have to equal if we are to stay abreast of them in this group. No mean feat, gentlemen.) - and if anything, drawing with Italy away is an even greater achievement than what the Bulgars managed at home in Sofia.

I am very keen to hear grounded, reasoned opinions from those who see us beating Bulgaria on Saturday week. Come kick-off I will be somewhere in the Cusack (having had to shell out an outrageous €85 for the privilege, but anyway...), roaring my head off, making innumerable deals with God to give us the lead and keep the Bulgarians scoreless, praying, hoping, wishing out loud... But now there is just about enough time, before the emotional fever of pre-match excitement properly kicks in, to cast some cool, rational reflection on our chances.

We face a technically gifted side who, if they have done their homework, will know that to shut down Ireland's wingers is to shut down Ireland. If they manage this, I don't know where the creativity is going to come from. We have been solid but unspectacular, and have shown the very encouraging knack of digging out results in unlikely and often unattractive situations. Bulgaria will call upon that ability, certainly, but Montenegro aside, they possess the best and most potent attack we will have faced yet. I'm not convinced that Bulgaria are strong enough to beat us at Croker, but equally I don't see why we have many grounds to expect ourselves to beat them either. We are a tight, well-organised outfit, not without its weaknesses. We have long struggled against technically proficient sides, big and small. Of late we have shown the organisation and grit not to get beaten by these teams. But beating them? In the words of Fox Mulder, 'I want to believe'. But I just don't see it happening. A draw at best, and a narrow defeat in Bari are my most painfully honest expectations of what will actually happen.

I welcome any and all comments that give reason for optimism, of course.
Lord, help my unbelief!

Irish_Praha
20/03/2009, 12:38 AM
Really don't want to see Andrews playing, but I've a terrible feeling he will.

Who would you prefer, from the available players?

richieos
20/03/2009, 12:54 AM
Lord, help my unbelief!

Well, my reasons for thinking that Ireland stand a good chance of winning are:
1. I believe that Montengro are a stronger side than Bulgaria man for man, and also seem to have much better team spirit, and weve already drawn with them away from home.
2. I believe that man for man, bulgarias first 11 doesnt compare to Irelands, and yes i have done my homework. Take out Berbatov (who i believe is heavily overrated) and Petrov, and they have a very very average side. They struggle greatly in defence, and their new manager Stoilov has resorted to calling up three 32 year old players, who are relatively inexperienced at international level for their age, which seems to me to be an act of desperation. I think the manager will know that he has to focus on shutting down our wingers, but with the quality of defenders bulgaria have at their disposal, i think they will struggle greatly to do this.
3. I believe that Georgia have a better back 5 than bulgaria, and we have managed to score 4 times in 2 games against them.
4. People point to our central midfield, but other than Stiliyan Petrov, they have little or nothing in central midfield, and their main creative force Martin Petrov is missing.
5. Cyprus and Georgia both played 5 in midfield against us when we struggled, but Stoilov prefers to play with an open 4-3-3 formation, which in my opinion plays right into Irelands hands, and i think Traps tactics perfectly counter this.

I'm definatley not saying its a sure thing, but i think we have a great chance of beating them at Croke Park. Apologies for the drawn out post!

Ordinary Fan
20/03/2009, 12:58 AM
The Bulgarian game will depend on the influence of their new manage, if they are interested it will be a long hard night, but regardless I think the worst we will do is draw 1-1 but I hope we can grab a second goal to win.

Sadley we will be out of gas in Italy and despite the fact this is still a poor Italian team I thik they will win 0ne or two nil with both goals comming late in the second half.

Ever the optimist I will be at both matchs believing Ireland will win.

SkStu
20/03/2009, 1:05 AM
Lads, I can only admire the optimism but it is to my great sadness that I cannot share it. I'm afraid I don't see Ireland as being anywhere near clinical enough to knock any more than 2 goals past any team in this group, and Bulgaria will be the technically strongest team we will have come up against: the first 'real' team we've faced, as Dunphy might put it.

I think this game has a score draw written all over it. The Bulgarians will have watched the Polish and Georgian games and will certainly come out on the offensive and try and unsettle us early on. How ready we will be for this, mentally and tactically, is anyone's guess. I don't for a minute think that Trap would neglect to impress the importance of standing firm from the off to his players, but the nerves generated by the event can dislodge even the best-taught of lessons. I think we will score, but I also think we will concede - at least once. It will just be that type of game. Plenty of talking points. Lots of chances - heart-in-mouth moments. Both teams know how important this is for the fate of their standing in the group.

I don't see us thrashing anybody these days, but I don't see anybody thrashing us either. Two goals are all that will be in it. The most optimistic prediction that I can allow myself in the circumstances is the following:

Ireland 2 Bulgaria 2
Italy 1 Ireland 1

Two points would be a decidedly positive return and a huge boost to our qualification hopes. Firstly, we stay unbeaten, which reinforces the team's morale and the belief in Trap's methods. Secondly, we maintain the distance between the Bulgars and ourselves (don't forget that they drew with Italy - a result we may have to equal if we are to stay abreast of them in this group. No mean feat, gentlemen.) - and if anything, drawing with Italy away is an even greater achievement than what the Bulgars managed at home in Sofia.

I am very keen to hear grounded, reasoned opinions from those who see us beating Bulgaria on Saturday week. Come kick-off I will be somewhere in the Cusack (having had to shell out an outrageous €85 for the privilege, but anyway...), roaring my head off, making innumerable deals with God to give us the lead and keep the Bulgarians scoreless, praying, hoping, wishing out loud... But now there is just about enough time, before the emotional fever of pre-match excitement properly kicks in, to cast some cool, rational reflection on our chances.

We face a technically gifted side who, if they have done their homework, will know that to shut down Ireland's wingers is to shut down Ireland. If they manage this, I don't know where the creativity is going to come from. We have been solid but unspectacular, and have shown the very encouraging knack of digging out results in unlikely and often unattractive situations. Bulgaria will call upon that ability, certainly, but Montenegro aside, they possess the best and most potent attack we will have faced yet. I'm not convinced that Bulgaria are strong enough to beat us at Croker, but equally I don't see why we have many grounds to expect ourselves to beat them either. We are a tight, well-organised outfit, not without its weaknesses. We have long struggled against technically proficient sides, big and small. Of late we have shown the organisation and grit not to get beaten by these teams. But beating them? In the words of Fox Mulder, 'I want to believe'. But I just don't see it happening. A draw at best, and a narrow defeat in Bari are my most painfully honest expectations of what will actually happen.

Lord, help my unbelief!

agree with this and good to see such a well thought out and balanced post here. I have a feeling that 2 possibly 3 points from this set of fixtures is about right. If we get 3, it will be the Bulgarian game.

I am naturally pessimistic regarding Ireland football these days though so here's hoping...

(PS - good to see that Terry Phelan can take some time out from scampering down the left wing to post on foot.ie)

RogerMilla
20/03/2009, 8:02 AM
ireland 2-1 bulgaria
italy 0-0 ireland

what he said

RogerMilla
20/03/2009, 8:07 AM
Well, my reasons for thinking that Ireland stand a good chance of winning are:
1. I believe that Montengro are a stronger side than Bulgaria man for man, and also seem to have much better team spirit, and weve already drawn with them away from home.
2. I believe that man for man, bulgarias first 11 doesnt compare to Irelands, and yes i have done my homework. Take out Berbatov (who i believe is heavily overrated) and Petrov, and they have a very very average side. They struggle greatly in defence, and their new manager Stoilov has resorted to calling up three 32 year old players, who are relatively inexperienced at international level for their age, which seems to me to be an act of desperation. I think the manager will know that he has to focus on shutting down our wingers, but with the quality of defenders bulgaria have at their disposal, i think they will struggle greatly to do this.
3. I believe that Georgia have a better back 5 than bulgaria, and we have managed to score 4 times in 2 games against them.
4. People point to our central midfield, but other than Stiliyan Petrov, they have little or nothing in central midfield, and their main creative force Martin Petrov is missing.
5. Cyprus and Georgia both played 5 in midfield against us when we struggled, but Stoilov prefers to play with an open 4-3-3 formation, which in my opinion plays right into Irelands hands, and i think Traps tactics perfectly counter this.

I'm definatley not saying its a sure thing, but i think we have a great chance of beating them at Croke Park. Apologies for the drawn out post!

i am clambering on board here , i believe montenegro are just as good as bulgaria too , also the two midfielders from the bundesliga chankov and the other fella are not up to much at all. bulgaria are second seeds but i believe we are the better team and will win , petrov a huge loss for them , new manager will need a while to make a difference...

frog-gufc
20/03/2009, 1:18 PM
ireland 2-1 bulgaria doyle,duff
ireland 0-0 italy

elroy
20/03/2009, 2:10 PM
Usually not the most positive but i think if we get 3 points out of these two games we have to be happy. That obviously is a win over Bulgaria, at that rate it almost guarantees us the play off spot.

I really feel though that the next two games and the Italian game in particular is where having a strong tactical manager in charge will really show its worth.

I dont think we will lose to Bulgaria and with the likes of Martin Petrov likely to be absent we have a chance of sneaking a win. We are not going to win well by any means and it will be a nervy night. I need to do a bit more research on them but I think our defence should be strong enough to keep them out. The question is whether our midfield and attack will be able to do the damage. It is vital we dont give anyway anything silly. If you were in the Bulgarian camp, you wouldve identified our weaknesses in centre midfield, right back and our poor starts of late as been areas of opportunity.

Although getting a result in Italy is going to be a difficult task, I think this is the type of game where Trap can excel. It will be a defensive performance from Ireland where we aim to nick a goal from a set piece or on the break. This I believe is the scenario when Trap's system is strongest. IMO the system is at its weakest when forced to chase a game because we dont really have to players to do so, although we did manage to turn the Georgia game around (just about)

kingdomkerry
20/03/2009, 2:40 PM
I agree with that.

Would not be suprised if we got a result against italy cause its a game like this that the tactics we employ are most effective.

magnumpi
20/03/2009, 3:34 PM
really enjoyed reading Terry Phelans post there. Well thought out and would agree with it more or less. i've said before i don't agree we'll beat bulgaria, but i think 2 points from these two matches would be a great result.

However, if we did beat Bulgaria, i think we are more likely to go and get the draw in Italy. The pressure would be off, and the atmosphere brilliant as all the fans won't be nervous about getting enough points as we'd already have got more than we thought we would.

Anyway, great post, great to see people thinking/worrying about this as much as others!!

third policeman
20/03/2009, 3:51 PM
On the basis that its less likely to happen if I write it down.

Ireland 1 Bulgaria 2

Italy 2 Ireland 0

I am not confident on the basis of performances against Serbia, Columbia, Cyprus, Poland and Georgia at home that our midfield or back four (especially if it contains McShane and Kilbane) is good enough to get results in these games. I sincerely hope I am wrong, but I have bad feelings.

Weatherman
20/03/2009, 3:56 PM
ireland 1-0 bulgaria
italy 0-0 ireland

i can really see us not conceding in either game but cant see us hammering in the ball in the back of the net in either game. i can see us getting a late late goal v bulgaria and a boring game in italy dominated by the 2 midfields. Andrews included!!!!!!

Pike B
20/03/2009, 4:39 PM
Here goes....

Ireland 1-0 Bulgaria
Italy 2-0 Ireland.

NeilMcD
20/03/2009, 5:02 PM
I think a 1-0 win for us is fare more likely than a 2-2 game to be honest and I cannot see an open game as Terry Phelan has said. I think it will be a nervous tense affair somewhere in between the Wales and Slovakia home games of last year. I think the game will either be 1-0 to us or a 1-1 draw to be honest.

For the Italy game it will either be 0-0 if we have one of those nights from the Jack Charlton era or Brian Kerr 2005 where we are solid away from home against a top team. However I think Italy winning 2-0 is the most likely there.

Pike B
20/03/2009, 5:14 PM
I think a 1-0 win for us is fare more likely than a 2-2 game to be honest and I cannot see an open game as Terry Phelan has said. I think it will be a nervous tense affair somewhere in between the Wales and Slovakia home games of last year. I think the game will either be 1-0 to us or a 1-1 draw to be honest.

For the Italy game it will either be 0-0 if we have one of those nights from the Jack Charlton era or Brian Kerr 2005 where we are solid away from home against a top team. However I think Italy winning 2-0 is the most likely there.
So basically what I said??
Thats all you had to say Neil.. :p

paul_oshea
20/03/2009, 5:52 PM
On the basis that its less likely to happen if I write it down.

Ireland 1 Bulgaria 2

Italy 2 Ireland 0

I am not confident on the basis of performances against Serbia, Columbia, Cyprus, Poland and Georgia at home that our midfield or back four (especially if it contains McShane and Kilbane) is good enough to get results in these games. I sincerely hope I am wrong, but I have bad feelings.

its only less likely if its IRELAND remember!!

shakermaker1982
20/03/2009, 8:13 PM
Ireland 1 Bulgaria 0 - Keane scores early again and we hold on for dear life in the 2nd half.

Italy 0 Ireland 0 - bore draw or a flukey 1 nil win would do very nicely.

Stuttgart88
20/03/2009, 8:38 PM
2-0 Ireland. Liam Brady to have a stormer and get sent off.

mark12345
20/03/2009, 9:15 PM
Terry, your post is right on the money. Everything you say is accurate - I hope you are slightly off on the results though. I would like to think we can get a win against Bulgaria - the game is really there for the taking for whichever team imposes itself on the other early on.

You mention Bulgaria shutting down our wingers. I agree that would be a smart tactic for them and in that regard I think we should have Stephen Hunt (one who can run at defences and keep them off guard) on from the start, possibly in place of Whelan. I'm also one who fancies Robbie playing as an attacking midfielder with Doyle and Noel Hunt as the front two.

But we'll have to possess the ball a lot better through the middle than we did against Georgia.

If we get the three points against Bulgaria I don't care what happens in Bari.

Pike B
20/03/2009, 10:36 PM
If we get the three points against Bulgaria I don't care what happens in Bari.
Ah come on man..

irishfan86
21/03/2009, 12:04 AM
I think we should have Stephen Hunt (one who can run at defences and keep them off guard) on from the start, possibly in place of Whelan. I'm also one who fancies Robbie playing as an attacking midfielder with Doyle and Noel Hunt as the front two.

Stan, is that you?

Torn-Ado
21/03/2009, 4:46 AM
0-0 ..

geysir
21/03/2009, 8:55 AM
Bulgaria diving about the place, get 4 of our players booked, eventually win a penalty, Shay goes the wrong way (some ballboy had swiped his iPod from the back of the net).

weldoninhio
21/03/2009, 11:18 AM
I know that this is an Ireland fansite, but the blind optimism is shocking. I believe that we will lose both games. Bulgaria will be technically a lot better that Georgia, who we only beat with the most ridiculous penalty ever given.

Richeos says that man for man Bulgarias first XI doesn't compare to Irelands. How many of these players has he actually seen play?? How does Stanislav Angelov (Energie Cottbus) compare to Glenn Whelan(Stoke) for example?? Both playing for relegation threatened teams?? I would imagine that just as most of us don't know a lot of the Bulgarian team, most bulgarians would not know whelan, andrews, mcshane, keogh, kelly, n. hunt. So to say man for man we are better is ridiculous.

I think 1-2 to bulgaria and 3-0 to Italy, with the excuses about it being a young (in international terms) and inexperienced team being trotted out afterwards. And we know whos fault the squad is.

eirebhoy
21/03/2009, 12:43 PM
weldoninhio, I think a lot of people are arguing that Bulgaria are about the same level as Montenegro who we deservedly drew with away from home (while Bulgaria would supposedly have been lucky to lose by just the 1). We're playing at home now. I'd expect us to beat Montengro, Bulgaria, Cyprus at home. These teams are on the same level imo (Georgia have the players too but obviously not the team). Maybe we're on that level too but we're the team at home.

In my opinion,you will be able to beat Georgia in Germany(if you had played in Tbilisi i would say X).
I think that neither you or Bulgaria will be able to beat us in Podgorica.

Bulgaria is pretty weak team.Believe me,I know what I am talking about.I dont know what are they playing,it is not football for sure.They are defending with everyone of their 11 players(including Berbatov) and then playing counter-attacks(they are good at that).I can see their tactic work when they are away(although,they will not play against as weak defence as Montenegrin,so I dont think that they will score too many goals away in rest of the matches).

Against Bulgaria we had 58% possesion at the end.Also,one of the reasons we ended up 2-2 draw is that our players tried to score third goal and did not come back to defence.On the other hand Ireland is much better team than Bulgaria.I am sure of that.Every Montenegrin player said the same on the press conference.

You are obviously better team than Bulgaria especially in defence,although they are better technically.I would bet on you wining twice or eventually your win and draw in two games against them against them.

richieos
21/03/2009, 1:30 PM
Richeos says that man for man Bulgarias first XI doesn't compare to Irelands. How many of these players has he actually seen play?? How does Stanislav Angelov (Energie Cottbus) compare to Glenn Whelan(Stoke) for example?? Both playing for relegation threatened teams?? I would imagine that just as most of us don't know a lot of the Bulgarian team, most bulgarians would not know whelan, andrews, mcshane, keogh, kelly, n. hunt. So to say man for man we are better is ridiculous.

I've watched every bulgaria game in these qualifiers, and the highlights of their euro 2008 qualifiers, and i've also researced the new players brought in by Stoilov. I said man for man our first choice 11 is better than theirs, and you're mentioning people like keogh and noel hunt who are nowhere near the first 11. All it takes is a bit of research into these players histories, their success, their international records to tell you that we have a better starting 11. Can Bulgaria say that they have one of the top 5 keepers in europe, with the captain of Manchester City and a man who has made over 300 appearances for Manchester United infront of him? Martin Petrov and Duff are of similar ability, but Petrov is out, they have nobody of McGeadys talent, they have Berbatov up front, but nobody to partner him, when we have Kevin Doyle, who has proved to be a fine international player. Stoilov has resorted to recalling three 32 year old defenders, Igor Tomasic, Elin Topuzakov and Dimitar Telkiyski, and the 35 year old radostin kishishev, who was an average player in his prime. I'm usually quite pessimistic, but the facts are that we have a stronger first 11 than they do, and id say that a lot of bulgarian fans would even admit this. Again, im not saying were going to hammer bulgaria, but i think we should definatley be looking to beat them at home.

Stuttgart88
21/03/2009, 2:34 PM
I know that this is an Ireland fansite, but the blind optimism is shocking. It's not blind optimism - the fact is that we're at home and we've actually got a very good record at home against second / third ranked teams. Bulgaria have not played well for at least a year now. We've got some very good players with question marks over right back and central midfield Nobody denies this here but I think the players we have are good enough to beat Bulgaria at home if they play well and avoid dumb mistakes. This is measured opinion, not blind optimism.

And anyway, I do think it's worth people watching the Georgia game again. Bad start - but next 75 minutes was perfectly decent, actually quite good in parts.

zenokelly
21/03/2009, 2:39 PM
I know that this is an Ireland fansite, but the blind optimism is shocking. I believe that we will lose both games. Bulgaria will be technically a lot better that Georgia, who we only beat with the most ridiculous penalty ever given.

I think 1-2 to bulgaria and 3-0 to Italy, with the excuses about it being a young (in international terms) and inexperienced team being trotted out afterwards. And we know whos fault the squad is.

Good man Eamonn. Put your hat in the ring for Trap's job so on the 2nd of April.:rolleyes:

Park_Lane
21/03/2009, 8:36 PM
Berbatov left Craven Cottage with his leg in a cast apparently....

tetsujin1979
21/03/2009, 8:54 PM
Swollen ankle according to this - http://www.focus-fen.net/index.php?id=n174959

Bulgarian centre forward Dimitar Berbatov landed awkwardly on his ankle at the end of the first half of today’s match Manchester United vs. Fulham (0:2). He is under serious question for the qualification game Bulgaria-Ireland next Sunday.
Assistant manager of Manchester United Mike Phelan said that the Bulgarian player has a swelling on his ankle and its condition will become clear as early as tomorrow morning

richieos
21/03/2009, 9:05 PM
i just came on here to comment on berbatov's form, and i find out that he may be injured for the match.

take a look at these:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A48900530
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A48898075
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A48901548

he's playing extremely poorly for Manchester United and im not sure his injury is very good news.. considering they have a young hungry hardworking striker in popov to come in for him, or even bojinov if he is ready to start, compared to the lazy and out of form berbatov.

Superhoops
21/03/2009, 9:10 PM
i just came on here to comment on berbatov's form, and i find out that he may be injured for the match.

take a look at these:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A48900530
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A48898075
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A48901548

he's playing extremely poorly for Manchester United and im not sure his injury is very good news.. considering they have a young hungry hardworking striker in popov to come in for him, or even bojinov if he is ready to start, compared to the lazy and out of form berbatov.

Top post, my fear exactly whe I heard Mike Phelan say that Bulgaria would have to do without Berbatov. I hope he plays, injured or not!

irishultra
22/03/2009, 1:17 AM
Ireland 1 Bulgaria 0
Italia 1st Ireland 0

Agree 100% about the opinions expressed about Bulgaria. I think there is a tendancy to overrate teams like this. There squad is extremely weak for a 2nd seed team and their first 11 is not upto much. We arent great but these are poor. It will be interesting to see what strategy they emply next week. I havent seen much of cottbus this year but the bulgarians ( thers 2 right?) were decent but just look at them. i see no creativity without petrov and their defence on paper is poor. they held italy at home but they seemed shambolic against montenegro and werent they beaten 6-1 by serbia recently? we really could get more than 1 but dont want to get ahead of myself.

TerryPhelan
22/03/2009, 3:15 AM
really enjoyed reading Terry Phelans post there. Well thought out and would agree with it more or less. i've said before i don't agree we'll beat bulgaria, but i think 2 points from these two matches would be a great result.

However, if we did beat Bulgaria, i think we are more likely to go and get the draw in Italy. The pressure would be off, and the atmosphere brilliant as all the fans won't be nervous about getting enough points as we'd already have got more than we thought we would.

Anyway, great post, great to see people thinking/worrying about this as much as others!!

skstump, mark12345 and magnumpi, thanks a million for your very generous and kind comments. I really appreciate it - thanks a million.

As for my current impressions, I have to confess that I cannot but have been moved by the Irish rugby team's victory today. What a monumental achievement. Too often we have seen Irish athletes of true class falter at the highest stages of international competition, or get foiled by mischievous opposition or a nefarious referee. Today we saw true fortitude and moral character shine through and endure above all the mistakes and understandable lackings in composure that we displayed. Today we saw the best qualities of Irish sportsmen - courage, perseverence, belief, intelligent footballing - shine to the fore. And for once, for the first time in a very long time, those qualities were rewarded not merely with a moral victory but with the victory that mattered most. What they did today, although frequently messy and often sloppy, should be an inspiration to everyone with an interest in Irish sport. How satisfying to see guys of genuine quality having that quality rewarded with silverware. How satisfying to see Irish sportsmen stick at it where otherwise we might have 'had a go' and then have left it be. How satisfying to see a team of guys drawn from (almost) all four corners of the country, united by a common purpose, and celebrated by their united achievement. Brilliant. What a night.

Anyway, I agree with magnumpi that a win at home on Saturday will lend a carnival atmosphere to the Italy game. But this is a match that could turn very sour very quickly. At the risk of repeating myself, Bulgaria are a technically proficient side. By and large, we cannot make that claim of ourselves. Thus it will be a considerable battle to try and impose our gameplan on them, as they possess a superior ability to hang on to possession. While personally I rate our front four and Whelan quite highly in the technical stakes, I am not convinced about the ability of our other 6 as regards keeping the ball. I say Whelan because I have been very impressed with his close control under pressure and the quality of his passing. Granted, he has made some stray passes (as has everyone), but generally he has made an impression on the side by virtue of his ability to retain and recycle possession: doing the simple things well, as well as possessing a solid shot from distance and a decent dead-ball ability (although personally I believe Andy Reid should be taking all our frees). I think if the Bulgarians pressure us and make space tight then they are well on the way to turning the screw on us. This, more than any other, will be a tactical battle. Both teams are reasonably evenly matched. How they pit themselves against one another, as opposed to what players are available (and it seems possible that Berbatov may be injured), will be the key factor. Where individual battles are won and lost will be massive. If Keane and Doyle set their back four on the, er, back foot from the off then we may get some very encouraging results in terms of space and damaged Bulgarian confidence. Whoever said that it will come down to our ability to manage of setpieces was right. That said, our execution of frees and corners thusfar has been ****-poor. I hope this game sees an improvement in that, in our performances in general and in our goal-scoring creativity. If ever we needed a hard-fought win against quality opposition, this is it.

Stand up and fight.

stiffler
22/03/2009, 8:56 AM
Shock! Berbatov Injured before the Match with Eire

Six days before the decisive world qualifier vs Ireland in Dublin Bulgarian top striker Dimiter Berbatov is out of the game because of injury. The captain of the Bulgarian national team was changed during the Fullham vs Manchester United match after Berbo fell badly fighting for the ball. He is said to have sprained his right ankle that ached him before the game with Inter.

http://paper.standartnews.com/en/article.php?d=2009-03-22&article=26998

I don't know how reliable that report is, I would assume a half fit Berbatov will still start for the Bulgarians.

geysir
22/03/2009, 9:57 AM
Is there shock value in the news of a Manchester Utd. player pulling out of an International squad due to "injury"?

Claret Murph
22/03/2009, 12:09 PM
No matter what I am going for a 1-0 win on Saturday and 0-0 in Bari , lads get down the bookies and get yer money on it .;)

tetsujin1979
22/03/2009, 12:39 PM
Looks like Berbatov is out: http://www.javno.com/en-sports/berbatov-to-miss-bulgarias-world-cup-qualifiers_244893

"There's no chance Berbatov of playing against Ireland and Cyprus," Bulgarian national team doctor Mihail Iliev told local state television on Sunday.

"I've told to Manchester United's medical staff and they informed me that he'll need to rest in the next two weeks and his foot will be immovable during that period," he added.

Berbatov's injury is another blow for Bulgaria coach Stanimir Stoilov who has already lost Manchester City winger Martin Petrov and Leicester City defender Alexandar Tunchev due to injuries.
I've never heard of that site before, so don't take it as gospel

Maroon 7
22/03/2009, 1:05 PM
Berbatov has pulled out alright according to Sky.

Irish_Praha
22/03/2009, 1:12 PM
Top post, my fear exactly whe I heard Mike Phelan say that Bulgaria would have to do without Berbatov. I hope he plays, injured or not!

As the saying goes; it only takes a second to score a goal. Berbatov might appear lazy and uninterested at times but with 41 goals in 67 international games he has to be considered a big threat. I'm sure with the abuse he got in the media after the last game that he would probably try to put more effort in for the next few games aswell. So I'd say it's good that he could possibly miss the next 2 games. I hope Cyprus can do us a favour and get at least a draw against them.

If they lose against Ireland and fail to beat Cyprus at least second place would be a safe bet for us. We could even afford a slip up in the game away against Cyprus. That is one game that really worries me but if we only need a draw then I would feel much more comfortable.

elroy
22/03/2009, 1:22 PM
Berbatov has pulled out alright according to Sky.

Yes confirmed. Hes out for both of their games. Great news for us, although not playing well, id sooner not have him there.