PDA

View Full Version : Republic of Ireland V Bulgaria - Saturday, 28th March 2009 - World Cup 2010 Q

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9

Scram
27/03/2009, 8:59 AM
Not so sure about that guys, I think a draw would be the best result. Last thing we want is Montenegro up our asses.

Monty who?

OUCH. :o

tetsujin1979
27/03/2009, 9:22 AM
Anthony Stokes called into the squad: http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4138

Dun Laoire
27/03/2009, 9:31 AM
If we can edge Bulgaria with a narrow victory i think we will get something in Italy for sure. Even a draw won't be the worst result but i think if we lose it might knock us for six and belief might not be as high going into Wednesday.

gwhite
27/03/2009, 10:11 AM
I would've called Morrison, Reid, Lawrence or one of the Quinns up before Stokes. Strange one that...

Weatherman
27/03/2009, 10:29 AM
Stokes ahead of reid?? trap really holds a grudge doesnt he!!! bet reid will never call him granda again!!!!

frog-gufc
27/03/2009, 10:30 AM
ya i cant understand not calling up liam lawrence, i think its safe to say andy reid is gone altogether while trap is in charge, stokes attitude stinks

tetsujin1979
27/03/2009, 11:12 AM
Stokes getting the call does surprise me, but has Trapattoni ever called up Lawrence? He's not going to call up a player he's never seen so close to the game.

gwhite
27/03/2009, 11:26 AM
He called up Lawrence for the B game against Forest but he got injured. He's started the last few games for Stoke too. As for Stokes, I'm surprised he could hear his phone ringing in whatever nightclub he was in when he got the call.

Torn-Ado
27/03/2009, 11:35 AM
I agree with that. Their defence must surely be weak? If I was a neutral I would fully expect Keane, McGeady, and Doyle to rip these guys up.

I disagree with Eirebhoy that if Bulgaria lose this game they are not out. Technically they will still be in it, but a defeat on Saturday would be psychologically devastating.

I think we will be pleasantly surprised by how weak they will be.

People forget that Hector Cuper is an absolutely brilliant manager and the main reason behind Georgia's excellent performance in Dublin. This Bulgarian team is a shambles, we'll hammer em.

We'll definetely not hammer them. Whilst they have very few household names playing in less glamouress leagues than the premiership, you can bet they''ll be far more technically gifted than us. Most Easten European teams are. I do not think that we'll lose at home in front of a big crowd but I can't see where the goals are going to come from either. Duff out is massive blow and will probably mean our only realistic creative outlet is McGeady.

0-0.

fergalr
27/03/2009, 12:32 PM
A typical Trapp-ist 1-0 win will do me just fine.

ken foree
27/03/2009, 1:03 PM
score draw (set-piece) and a 1-0 loss to the italians. sorry! :o

lionelhutz
27/03/2009, 1:34 PM
Is Stylian Petrov injured? I saw someone mention it earlier in the thread but not sure whether its true. With Martin Petrov and Berbatov injured, who are the other players who would be considered their most influential?

I'm heading to Dublin from Limerick tomorrow full of optimism that we'll get the victory. Duffs injury is a huge blow admittedly - his form with Ireland has been consistenly excellent - but I still feel very confident that Keane, Doyle and McGeady (hopefully he'll be ok) will produce the goals needed and that our defence will hold firm with Dunne and O'Shea being rock solid again.

I believe Reid should be there to replace Duff - he'd offer us so much more creativity than Hunt - but we're still good enough to win. My predictions are;

Ireland 2 -0 Bulgaria

Italy 0 - 0 Ireland

tetsujin1979
27/03/2009, 1:42 PM
Is Stylian Petrov injured? I saw someone mention it earlier in the thread but not sure whether its true.
Latest on Petrov:
from http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/27032009/1/doyle-desperate-world-cup-spot.html

although Aston Villa's Stiliyan Petrov should be fit despite limping out of training yesterday, defender Jivko Milanov remains a doubt with a knee problem

from http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/newsid=1041945.html

While Stiliyan Petrov and Zhivko Milanov are doubts.

from http://www.herald.ie/sport/soccer/stoilov-we-must-forget-about-dimi-1688922.html

Captain Stiliyan Petrov was an injury concern but the former Celtic man is expected to be fit for the game
If I had to guess, I'd say he will play

mypost
27/03/2009, 2:06 PM
Hoping for a 2-0 win, if we will win though, it'll probably be by one goal only.

Noelys Guitar
27/03/2009, 2:34 PM
In a post hangover, bizarre kind of way I feel more confident today that we will beat the Bulgars than I felt Wednesday. Expectations are back were they should be after the Duff injury news. I was reading way too much about the next 2/3 games ****e in the papers. How crap the Bulgars are, injuries etc etc. We are not good runaway favourites. We are back to horrible 1-0 terrority. Great. Roll on the match.

bwagner
27/03/2009, 2:51 PM
Mine would be:

Given

Foley Dunne O Shea Deleney

Mc Geady Whelan Andrews Kilbane

Keane Doyle

tetsujin1979
27/03/2009, 3:03 PM
same as the line up against Georgia, with Hunt in for Duff

TerryPhelan
27/03/2009, 3:51 PM
McShane looks to have been given the nod for tomorrow:

"The question of the right-back berth was also addressed by Trap. Steve Finnan’s absence from the squad because of injury meant Stephen Kelly, Kevin Foley and Paul McShane were vying for the spot and the boss has opted for the latter.

He said: “Yesterday I saw all the right-back defenders in training. I think McShane has the best chance because he can play right-back and also in the centre. I can also change John O’Shea to right-back. McShane will play.”"

Also, Keogh and Long are mentioned as contingency plans should McGeady fail a fitness test. Hadn't thought about Long as an option there.

My brief dalliance with optimism has taken an absolute nose-dive since reading about Duff's injury. Changes the complexion of our chances in these two games entirely. Terry is back in Pessimismville.

Question: who takes our set-pieces now? Whelan and Hunt? The former has a marginally better delivery, but both are pretty erratic unfortunately. Hunt's delivery has been terrible in the qualifiers so far. Foresee a lot of wasted frees and corners - a frustrating evening.

Scram
27/03/2009, 4:11 PM
McShane looks to have been given the nod for tomorrow:

"The question of the right-back berth was also addressed by Trap. Steve Finnan’s absence from the squad because of injury meant Stephen Kelly, Kevin Foley and Paul McShane were vying for the spot and the boss has opted for the latter.

He said: “Yesterday I saw all the right-back defenders in training. I think McShane has the best chance because he can play right-back and also in the centre. I can also change John O’Shea to right-back. McShane will play.”"

Also, Keogh and Long are mentioned as contingency plans should McGeady fail a fitness test. Hadn't thought about Long as an option there.

My brief dalliance with optimism has taken an absolute nose-dive since reading about Duff's injury. Changes the complexion of our chances in these two games entirely. Terry is back in Pessimismville.

Question: who takes our set-pieces now? Whelan and Hunt? The former has a marginally better delivery, but both are pretty erratic unfortunately. Hunt's delivery has been terrible in the qualifiers so far. Foresee a lot of wasted frees and corners - a frustrating evening.

I'd be happier if he plays O'Shea at right and McShane Centre.

Still have a 0-0 feeling about this. Though on the positive front, Saturdays have been good to Irealnd sport this year.

irishfan86
27/03/2009, 5:07 PM
Very worried about the prospect of breaking up the O'Shea-Dunne axis, and bringing McShane into the middle.

He simply hasn't played enough games lately, and his confidence is obviously low.

This has Andy O'Brien vs Cyprus written all over it.

richieos
27/03/2009, 5:41 PM
thats never in a million years going to happen with trap. his philosophy is to make as few changes as possible, mcshane in for finnan is one change, mcshane in for o'shea and o'shea to right back is 2 changes which unsettles the balance of the team and trap knows this, theres no need to worry about o'shea being moved in my opinion.

irishfan86
27/03/2009, 6:24 PM
thats never in a million years going to happen with trap. his philosophy is to make as few changes as possible, mcshane in for finnan is one change, mcshane in for o'shea and o'shea to right back is 2 changes which unsettles the balance of the team and trap knows this, theres no need to worry about o'shea being moved in my opinion.

If he hadn't said anything, I'd agree with you, but he's mentioned it in an interview today or yesterday, and I remember him mentioning it around the time of the Georgia game as a possibility.

I've had nightmares about this. :eek:

richieos
27/03/2009, 6:27 PM
if anything that should assure you, he mentioned it before and didnt do it, and had success, so why would he do it now

irishfan86
27/03/2009, 6:31 PM
if anything that should assure you, he mentioned it before and didnt do it, and had success, so why would he do it now

The fact that he's still talking about doing it, and the fact that O'Shea is playing regularly at right back for United should give us all reason to worry.

The Fly
27/03/2009, 6:43 PM
Aiden MacGeady has come through a full training session unscathed and therefore passed his fitness test.
He is now certain to take his place in the starting eleven tomorrow - PHEW!!!

the doc
28/03/2009, 8:59 AM
I'm going for a 2-1 win, time to put all our moaning aside for 90 mins and back the team.

corkboy360
28/03/2009, 9:10 AM
Are rovers clashing with the game ?

Razors left peg
28/03/2009, 9:50 AM
With Duffer out Im struggling to come up with a prediction for tonights game.If McGeady continues his form from the last game and Robbie plays well I expect us to win, no clue of a score though.
The Italian game game depends on tonights performance, an excellent performance tonight and they will go to Italy with the confidence to take them on

WexCar
28/03/2009, 10:23 AM
where is best place for parking for tonights game? I know for GAA games clonliffe college is used, would it be available tonight?

irishultra
28/03/2009, 10:51 AM
ive woken up today with a fresh sense of optimism about the match and hunt in particular.

2-0 ireland:D

stiffler
28/03/2009, 11:47 AM
2 nil ireland

keane 1st half

keane 2nd half

amaccann
28/03/2009, 11:52 AM
1 - 1 draw tonight, Bulgaria going in front and a battling comeback by Ireland saves blushes.

0 - 0 Moral victory in Bari on Wednesday

Bottle of Tonic
28/03/2009, 12:10 PM
Discounting the Slovak - Czech doubleheader, as that era was marked by incompetence and we were going nowhere fast under Stan, this week has to be the biggest week for Irish football in years, maybe since 2002 WC. A bright future or darkness and gloom await.....

Ireland 1 Bulgaria 0
Italy 1 Ireland 0

Would love to be in Dublin today cheering on the team, but will be doing me bit in Bari. :ball::ball::ball:

elroy
28/03/2009, 1:48 PM
where is best place for parking for tonights game? I know for GAA games clonliffe college is used, would it be available tonight?

Think i heard on the radio that its available alright. Depends where your coming from but if i were you, why not park at the luas park and ride at the red cow and get the luas in and out.

elroy
28/03/2009, 1:49 PM
1 - 1 draw tonight, Bulgaria going in front and a battling comeback by Ireland saves blushes.

Please god no, really dont want the team falling behind again. Vital we start strong this time and keep things tight at the back throughout. Clean sheet please and a win should follow.

Razors left peg
28/03/2009, 2:17 PM
This must be nearly the first time that Trap hasnt announced his team early, I wonder if he is gonna throw in a surprise??

irishultra
28/03/2009, 2:26 PM
ah i can just imagine it now, croker floodlights shine down on a mysterious round shaped figure as he slowly walks to the pitch, aerosmiths 'I don't want to miss of things' blasts out over the sound system...a light shines on the figures face, it is none other than andy reid...he glances at trap, who nods back in cautious approval..before woddling onto the pitch to lead ireland to victory.:rolleyes:

amaccann
28/03/2009, 2:35 PM
Please god no, really dont want the team falling behind again. Vital we start strong this time and keep things tight at the back throughout. Clean sheet please and a win should follow.
Although I think we have a strong team well organised by Trap, I just don't believe we have the ability to boss a game & dictate the pace. So if the Bulgarians come out all guns blazing we might struggle. But of of course I hope not! :)

Razors left peg
28/03/2009, 2:40 PM
ah i can just imagine it now, croker floodlights shine down on a mysterious round shaped figure as he slowly walks to the pitch, aerosmiths 'I don't want to miss of things' blasts out over the sound system...a light shines on the figures face, it is none other than andy reid...he glances at trap, who nods back in cautious approval..before woddling onto the pitch to lead ireland to victory.:rolleyes:

Id settle for Andy Reid on the wing and Steven Ireland in the middle:D:D

WexCar
28/03/2009, 2:58 PM
Think i heard on the radio that its available alright. Depends where your coming from but if i were you, why not park at the luas park and ride at the red cow and get the luas in and out.

tanx, comin from wexford wont be near any luas line

richieos
28/03/2009, 3:30 PM
This must be nearly the first time that Trap hasnt announced his team early, I wonder if he is gonna throw in a surprise??

the team was announced last night:
Given, McShane, Dunne, O'Shea, Kilbane, McGeady, Whelan, Andrews, Hunt, Doyle, Keane.

elroy
28/03/2009, 4:02 PM
Ok here we go, heading off to croker now. Tonight could really set us on our way, heres hoping!!! Its been a while since we've won a big game at home so hopefully tonight is the night.
Nervous night ahead but i think we'll just about do enough to win, probably relying on a Keane goal again!

ken foree
28/03/2009, 4:40 PM
any quality streams to recommend? chrs!

SkStu
28/03/2009, 4:43 PM
yes, mucho helpo with streams required here too.

Boo_Boy
28/03/2009, 4:45 PM
I'll post a good one like last game when coverage starts on rte ;)

ainsie
28/03/2009, 4:51 PM
http://livefooty.doctor-serv.com/sat28.3/Ireland_Bulgaria.html

Is this what you mean. Hopefully it will work later. You might have to download the flash player if you dont have it.

strangeirish
28/03/2009, 5:05 PM
yes, mucho helpo with streams required here too.

any quality streams to recommend? chrs!
Hopefully one of these will work...

http://www.myp2p.eu/broadcast.php?matchid=34085&part=sports

SouthAfrica2010
28/03/2009, 5:53 PM
Great keep the streaming options coming, here in switzerland hoping for the best.

radio 1 has game, also usual places like justintv and iraggoals can be useful,

I predict 2-1 ireland, and 1-1 in bari.

Come on you boys in green !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boo_Boy
28/03/2009, 6:01 PM
Ireland v Bulgaria (http://sportinglory.webs.com/)

Best feed out there, no break up or pauses and great quality!

strangeirish
28/03/2009, 6:04 PM
Ireland v Bulgaria (http://sportinglory.webs.com/)

Best feed out there, no break up or pauses and great quality!
Sweet!

Ya boy ya:D