PDA

View Full Version : Republic of Ireland V Bulgaria - Saturday, 28th March 2009 - World Cup 2010 Q

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Lionel Ritchie
22/03/2009, 1:00 PM
Fantastic news for us. :ball:

weldoninhio
22/03/2009, 1:19 PM
I've watched every bulgaria game in these qualifiers, and the highlights of their euro 2008 qualifiers, and i've also researced the new players brought in by Stoilov. I said man for man our first choice 11 is better than theirs, and you're mentioning people like keogh and noel hunt who are nowhere near the first 11. All it takes is a bit of research into these players histories, their success, their international records to tell you that we have a better starting 11. Can Bulgaria say that they have one of the top 5 keepers in europe, with the captain of Manchester City and a man who has made over 300 appearances for Manchester United infront of him? Martin Petrov and Duff are of similar ability, but Petrov is out, they have nobody of McGeadys talent, they have Berbatov up front, but nobody to partner him, when we have Kevin Doyle, who has proved to be a fine international player. Stoilov has resorted to recalling three 32 year old defenders, Igor Tomasic, Elin Topuzakov and Dimitar Telkiyski, and the 35 year old radostin kishishev, who was an average player in his prime. I'm usually quite pessimistic, but the facts are that we have a stronger first 11 than they do, and id say that a lot of bulgarian fans would even admit this. Again, im not saying were going to hammer bulgaria, but i think we should definatley be looking to beat them at home.

I also mentioned McShane, Whelan, Andrews, who are all likely to start but you seem to have brushed over them. Yes we have a good goalie, he still conceded 2 against the mighty Aalborg the other night, even with "the captain of Manchester City" playing in front of him, who is by his standards having a very very poor season. Duff has not been the same player since WC 2002 and has recently only showed brief glimpses of his old self. And while McGeady is extremely talented, he still fails to deliver on a consistent basis.

Add this to the fact that even at home in front of 30-40000 fans (i know croke park holds 80,000) we will play defensivly and try to hit them on the break.

And the match vs Serbia
"served as the international testimonial of Savo Milosevic, the 35-year-old striker who is Serbia's top all-time scorer and most capped player. On his 102nd appearance for the national team, Milosevic scored a brace to take his international tally to 37, but could have grabbed twice as many had he not been showboating when taking the two penalties" so i wouldn't read into the result too much.

mark12345
22/03/2009, 1:38 PM
Injury news always seems to concern us, but for once this is on the other side of the fence, and good news for Gio and co ahead of next Saturday.

DIMITAR Berbatov is out of next Saturday's World Cup qualifier in Dublin.

It is not yet known the severity of the injury, following United's defeat at Fulham on Saturday, but it was deemed serious enough for him to withdraw from the Bulgaria squad to face the Republic of Ireland and Cyprus.

"There's no chance of Berbatov of playing against Ireland and Cyprus," said Bulgarian team doctor Mihail Iliev. "I've spoken Manchester United's medical staff and they informed me that he'll need to rest in the next two weeks and his foot will be immovable during that period."

United assistant manager Mike Phelan added: "Dimitar has got a good crack on his ankle. There is some swelling there and we are going to have that looked at."

geysir
22/03/2009, 2:09 PM
Bulgarian team doctor Mihail Iliev
"I've spoken Manchester United's medical staff and they informed me that he'll need to rest in the next two weeks and his foot will be immovable during that period."

He should take the lead from Don Givens and ask for the xrays to be faxed plus an independent medical report on Berbatov.
Surely the team doctor would be aware of the miraculous healing powers of the sea waters around Malahide.

richieos
22/03/2009, 2:44 PM
Bojinov starts for Man City today, hes certainly a player who would put in twice the effort that Berbatov does

danonion
22/03/2009, 2:55 PM
I have a good feeling about these games. On form I might have selected Stephen Carr on the basis of his current form and taking into consideration his club career was in shambles when he retired again. Mcshane is some lifetimes away of being an international full back for a side with ambitions of the playoffs. I would love some creativity in the middle of the park against Italy; I would ideally play an attacking 451 with hunt and duff out on the wings and McGeady playing as a central playmaker. The reason I could not opt for that is because Doyle is too good to drop, as is keane, and mcgeadys consistency is suspect.

So 442 it is then..

I think Doyle will score in Italy. If Cannavarro plays Doyle will have a height advantage he does not normally enjoy which will supplement his good aerial ability

But I'm not worried about italy. If we beat bulgaria we are on our way to our dramatic win over Norn Iron 1-0 in the playoffs

mjpcc
22/03/2009, 4:50 PM
I think we will beat Bulgaria and are probably just good enough to do it.

If we do not win in Dublin I think we are in trouble as there will be a lot more pressure on us to get a result in Italy.

2-1 Irish win in Dublin.
1-0 Italy win in Bari.

Hope I'm wrong and if our guys win in Dublin a lot of the pressure is off in Bari and that improves our chances of sneaking a draw.

Stuttgart88
22/03/2009, 6:51 PM
I also mentioned McShane, Whelan, Andrews, who are all likely to start but you seem to have brushed over them. Yes we have a good goalie, he still conceded 2 against the mighty Aalborg the other night, even with "the captain of Manchester City" playing in front of him, who is by his standards having a very very poor season. Duff has not been the same player since WC 2002 and has recently only showed brief glimpses of his old self. And while McGeady is extremely talented, he still fails to deliver on a consistent basis.

Add this to the fact that even at home in front of 30-40000 fans (i know croke park holds 80,000) we will play defensivly and try to hit them on the break.

And the match vs Serbia
"served as the international testimonial of Savo Milosevic, the 35-year-old striker who is Serbia's top all-time scorer and most capped player. On his 102nd appearance for the national team, Milosevic scored a brace to take his international tally to 37, but could have grabbed twice as many had he not been showboating when taking the two penalties" so i wouldn't read into the result too much.I'd say you're a fun guy to go out with.

For the sake of some balance can you think of anything positive to say? You can make it up if you want.

And only 30-40,000 fans?

shakermaker1982
22/03/2009, 7:34 PM
I'd say you're a fun guy to go out with.

For the sake of some balance can you think of anything positive to say? You can make it up if you want.

And only 30-40,000 fans?

I bet this guy would be on a downer if he was invited to the playboy mansion!

We managed at least 40,000 at Croke Park on a Wednesday night. I'm sure Bulgaria on a Saturday night will be closer to the 60,000 mark at the very least.

It might not be pretty but we get results under the Trap. Obtaining 4 points would not surprise me in the slightest weldoninhio. We may not be overflowing with outstanding individual players at this moment in time but we are functioning well as a team. Keep the faith.

elroy
22/03/2009, 8:06 PM
IWe managed at least 40,000 at Croke Park on a Wednesday night. I'm sure Bulgaria on a Saturday night will be closer to the 60,000 mark at the very least.

A sat night game will always get alot more than a wed night for obvious reasons. As always the hill will be empty but other than that expect the place to be full so i think it will be closer to the 70k mark.

weldoninhio
22/03/2009, 8:22 PM
A sat night game will always get alot more than a wed night for obvious reasons. As always the hill will be empty but other than that expect the place to be full so i think it will be closer to the 70k mark.

At E50 a ticket?? No chance.

And i am great laugh to go out with.

tetsujin1979
22/03/2009, 9:11 PM
At E50 a ticket?? No chance.
The rugby team got 80,000 at the last 2 home games at €90 a ticket!

weldoninhio
22/03/2009, 10:00 PM
That was in a tournament that they had a very good chance of winning and one of those was against the aul enemy England!!!!!!

richieos
22/03/2009, 10:27 PM
are you actually irish? you have very few positive things to say about our team

mackannovic
23/03/2009, 4:44 AM
Rooney gets suspended, Berbatov instantly pulled out of Bulgaria squad. Coincidence or is it just those Man United physios and their approach to internationals??

Razors left peg
23/03/2009, 6:44 AM
Rooney gets suspended, Berbatov instantly pulled out of Bulgaria squad. Coincidence or is it just those Man United physios and their approach to internationals??

In fairness I think Berbatov left Craven Cottage with a protective cast on so the injury looks real anyway

magnumpi
23/03/2009, 8:33 AM
anyone agree with Giles' contention that Berbatov being injured makes no difference? i can understand his reasoning, in that berbatov often just doesn't show up, but still a huge threat.

Scram
23/03/2009, 8:38 AM
anyone agree with Giles' contention that Berbatov being injured makes no difference? i can understand his reasoning, in that berbatov often just doesn't show up, but still a huge threat.

No, even if dormant for 80 minutes of a game, he is probaly more of a threat as a goalscorer than any player in the world. The threat alone would make any back four nervous.

smasher
23/03/2009, 8:43 AM

I think its a shame that he's not playing. When going gets tough he vanishes, for club and country

Stuttgart88
23/03/2009, 8:49 AM
Hard to know. He's undoubtedly class when he's bothered. Maybe his absence will make their dressing room a better place and maybe his replacement will have more aggression.

Anyway, like all eastern European teams I expect they'll be very accomplished on the ball and will move it around far easier than we ever do. But that's always been the case and yet we've often got good results at home. We should have beaten the Czechs - who are far better than Bulgaria - last time out with players like Douglas, McShane & Henderson, and Stephen Kelly at left back.

I hate this attitude of being afraid of respectable teams. We typically play better against these teams anyway.

I'm looking forward to it - these are the contests I've always loved in Irish international football.

Pike B
23/03/2009, 9:50 AM
Agree completly. I think we'd have handled lazy boy no problem. Now we face the unknown. Could be more difficult.

gwhite
23/03/2009, 9:51 AM
We should have enough in the tank to beat a Berbatov-less Bulgaria at home. I'm going for 2-0 to us.
I think there'll be plenty of Bulgars at the game too. There's quite a few of them working here in Brussels since they joined the EU and some of them who drink in my local are organising trips over. Add to that the ones living in Ireland and there'll be a couple of thousand at the game.

geysir
23/03/2009, 10:29 AM
Going 2 ahead and staying 2 ahead? great if it happens.

I think we will be well up for the game and meet the challenge.
The team under Trap is inching steadily forward the more we play.
Peaks and troughs do my head in.

ifk101
23/03/2009, 10:38 AM
I think we'll win if Whelan and Andrews give a good account of themselves in the middle. I suppose you can see certain similarities between us and Bulgaria in that Berbatov and Martin Petrov are as important to Bulgaria as Keane and Duff are to us. With both Berbatov and Petrov missing this game, we have a real opportunity to put a big dent in Bulargia's qualification hopes. Hopefully we can do that.

drummerboy
23/03/2009, 10:59 AM
Well Andrews and Kelly both got game time at the weekend, both coming as half-time substitutes. Duff also started for Newcastle.

Closed Account
23/03/2009, 12:00 PM
Nearly everyone got a run out at the weekend and I can't see anyone pulling out this week, maybe Folan as he has a tendency to.

Shay Given Manchester City Started, played whole game.
Dean Kiely West Brom Unused Substitute.
Keiren Westwood Coventry City Started, played whole game.
Alex Bruce Ipswich Town
Damien Delaney QPR Started, played whole game.
John O'Shea Manchester United Started, substituted on 70m.
Kevin Foley Wolves Started, played whole game.
Paul McShane Sunderland Unused Substitute.
Richard Dunne Manchester City Started, played whole game.
Stephen Kelly Birmingham City Started on bench, introduced on 46 m.
Kevin Kilbane Hull City Started, played whole game.
Darren O'Dea Celtic Started, played whole game.
Aiden McGeady Glasgow Celtic Started, played whole game.
Damien Duff Newcastle United Started, played whole game.
Darron Gibson Manchester United
Glenn Whelan Stoke City Started, played whole game.
Keith Andrews Blackburn Rovers Started on bench, introduced on 46 m.
Liam Miller QPR
Stephen Hunt Reading Started on bench, introduced on 18 m.
Andy Keogh Wolves Started on bench, introduced on 54 m.
Caleb Folan Hull City Started on bench, introduced on 61 m.
Kevin Doyle Reading Started, played whole game.
Robbie Keane Tottenham Hotspur Started, played whole game.
Shane Long Reading Started on bench, introduced on 63 m.
Noel Hunt Reading

reder
23/03/2009, 12:04 PM
Im not even going to think about the Italy game until late on Saturday night. Forget about the razzle-dazzle tie against them and concentrate on the job in hand against Bulgaria. If we lose against Bulgaria the true benefit of a positive result against Italy will be lost.

I have watched Bulgaria in depth throughout the campaign and also researched the players added to their squad and firmly believe that a disciplined, organised performance with the level of commitment shown in the 2nd half against Georgia will get the job done. Bulgaria will come with all guns blazing and our lads must take control from the start. The nonsense that we saw at the start of the Georgia game cannot happen again. If we manage to get a goal within the first 15 mins, I am in little doubt that Bulgarian heads will drop and it could be a solid 2-0 win.

I fail to see the logic in what Giles said regarding Berbatov. He is a moany, lazy waster at times but he has the ability to turn a game with one moment of brilliance. His abscene is a nice plus to us.

Pike B
23/03/2009, 12:24 PM
Im not even going to think about the Italy game until late on Saturday night. Forget about the razzle-dazzle tie against them and concentrate on the job in hand against Bulgaria. If we lose against Bulgaria the true benefit of a positive result against Italy will be lost.

I have watched Bulgaria in depth throughout the campaign and also researched the players added to their squad and firmly believe that a disciplined, organised performance with the level of commitment shown in the 2nd half against Georgia will get the job done. Bulgaria will come with all guns blazing and our lads must take control from the start. The nonsense that we saw at the start of the Georgia game cannot happen again. If we manage to get a goal within the first 15 mins, I am in little doubt that Bulgarian heads will drop and it could be a solid 2-0 win.

I fail to see the logic in what Giles said regarding Berbatov. He is a moany, lazy waster at times but he has the ability to turn a game with one moment of brilliance. His abscene is a nice plus to us.
I disagree. I think they'll sit deep and be negative. I hope your right though as it would suit us better.

Brendan 82
23/03/2009, 1:07 PM
Think of it this way lads; If Berbatov was Irish, would you start him? Nuff said.

tetsujin1979
23/03/2009, 2:20 PM
from http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/manchester_city/s/1104106_hughes_delighted_for_bojinov
Hughes on Bojinov VS Sunderland at the weekend
Hughes said: "I was pleased for him that he was able to start a game in the Premier League and that he came through more than an hour.

"It was important for him. I felt it was good for him to get the start today from both a footballing and mental point of view."

It may be too soon for Bojinov to resume his international duties and there are question marks about some of the other walking wounded, too.

smasher
23/03/2009, 2:21 PM
Think of it this way lads; If Berbatov was Irish, would you start him? Nuff said.

If Trapp was to start him he would need an immediate attitude change, if he was interested in playing , that is.

Noelys Guitar
23/03/2009, 11:50 PM
Given and McGeady are injury doubts. Tardelli has said that he expects both to be fit by the weekend. I hope so.

TerryPhelan
24/03/2009, 7:20 PM
Just heard on Newstalk that apparently John O'Shea has said that Berbatov's injury isn't exactly as reported and there is still a strong chance that he will play on Saturday.

Is this an instance of mindgames from the Bulgarians? Not sure what to make of it all.

BigmanCas
24/03/2009, 8:11 PM
I predicted driving up to the Georgia game that our main problem was Stephan Kelly. Surely to God - what happened in the first minute!!!! Anyone but Kelly. Would go with Foley (Trapp might stick with Kelly though? if this happens I will loose a lot of faith in him!!!!!!) with Duff helping him on the right. Mc Geady to destroy them on the left with Kilbane sitting and Ireland to win 1-0. Doyle.

stojkovic
24/03/2009, 8:33 PM
Believe we will get four points.

Funny thing is that I think it will be ;

Ireland 0-0 Bulgaria
Italy 0-1 Ireland

The Bulgarians will do everything not to lose on Saturday. Lose and they are out.

eirebhoy
24/03/2009, 8:40 PM
Lose and they are out.
Far from it.

richieos
24/03/2009, 8:59 PM
Far from it.

i agree, although i think it would be nearly impossible for the bulgarians to recover mentally from losing against us in dublin and us being 10(7) points ahead of them halfway through

the-blue-harp
24/03/2009, 9:55 PM
On the basis that its less likely to happen if I write it down.

Ireland 1 Bulgaria 2

Italy 2 Ireland 0

I am not confident on the basis of performances against Serbia, Columbia, Cyprus, Poland and Georgia at home that our midfield or back four (especially if it contains McShane and Kilbane) is good enough to get results in these games. I sincerely hope I am wrong, but I have bad feelings.

i wouldnt have mcshane on my sunday league team!!

the-blue-harp
24/03/2009, 9:58 PM
i think four points is realistic and achievable.
if we get the three against bulgaria, dont count us out on getting at least in Italy. I think we can do it. Believe, I think the players do again.

elroy
24/03/2009, 10:48 PM
Just heard on Newstalk that apparently John O'Shea has said that Berbatov's injury isn't exactly as reported and there is still a strong chance that he will play on Saturday.

Is this an instance of mindgames from the Bulgarians? Not sure what to make of it all.

Ya Doyler just said the same on the news, id be surprised if he made it but.....

RiffRaff
25/03/2009, 6:29 AM
Ireland 1-2 Bulgaria
Italy 3-0 Ireland

I hope I am wrong but I don't have the same confidence in Trap as some people. Our luck has to run out at some point.

Deckydee
25/03/2009, 9:18 AM
Ireland 1-2 Bulgaria
Italy 3-0 Ireland

I hope I am wrong but I don't have the same confidence in Trap as some people. Our luck has to run out at some point.

Wow! - Thats harsh!! :eek:

For me:

Ireland 1 - 0 Bulgaria

Italy 0 - 0 Ireland

I think it will be a huge struggle

tetsujin1979
25/03/2009, 10:00 AM
Bojinov out (not too surprisingly) and the secondary striker Domovchiyski has been refused permission by his club to join the Bulgarian squad, according to this: http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/bulgaria-rocked-as-berbatov-lsquoalternativesrsquo-ruled-out-1684937.html

shakermaker1982
25/03/2009, 10:22 AM
I'm sticking with my 4 point prediction. I've got us ending up on 22 points. Optimistic/deluded?

Bulgaria's run in looks like this:

Republic of Ireland - Bulgaria
Bulgaria - Cyprus
Bulgaria - Republic of Ireland
Bulgaria - Montenegro
Italy - Bulgaria
Cyprus - Bulgaria
Bulgaria - Georgia

Noelys Guitar
25/03/2009, 10:44 AM
It all depends on how we play. I don't care whether Berbatov is playing or not playing. I guarantee everyone that the Bulgars will have able replacements. We have never beaten a mid to top rank team unless we ourselves played well. I am hoping for a good team performance against Bulgaria. Whelan and Andrews getting their passing game right. McShane not getting exposed. We have enough firepower upfront to cause anyone problems. But I feel we will have to score twice to beat the Bulgars. And I believe we are capable of doing that. So 2-1 for me.

Pike B
25/03/2009, 10:57 AM
Every player from that region say Romania, Croatia, Bulgaria are all very technically sound, and I worry about us against that kind of opposition. On the big pitch, they could well play us off it..

shakermaker1982
25/03/2009, 11:09 AM
if Whelan and Andrews protect the back 4 and we're able to get quick ball to McGeady and Duff then we should be ok. If we allow them time on the ball then we might be chasing shadows all evening so I'm hoping the team press them as soon as their defenders have the ball (sorry Keane and Doyle) and our midfield then have to push on. If they leave huge gaps then it's a waste of effort from our front two. We cannot sit back. McGeady should be full of confidence so hopefully we're able to get the ball to him early.

McShane/Kelly or Foley at RB?

Wolfie
25/03/2009, 12:10 PM
McShane/Kelly or Foley at RB?

From Today's Indo:

One thing that the manager will have to worry about over the next few days is his starting choice at right-back with Steve Finnan unavailable. Stephen Kelly started there against Georgia, and has been absolved of blame by Trapattoni for his part in their opening goal, but he only got the nod on that day because Paul McShane was short of fitness.

The Sunderland man is fine to play this time around, while Wolves defender Kevin Foley would be another option.

However, Trapattoni seems to be leaning towards a straight choice between McShane and Kelly, although he also confirmed that a reshuffle resulting in John O'Shea being moved out to the flank was in his thoughts.

"We have the option of Paul McShane or Kelly there, in the next few days I decide," he said, "But we can also play O'Shea on the right, and put McShane at centre-half."

Celtic's Darren O'Dea is out of the frame, though. Although named in the initial 26-man selection last week, the FAI now say he was only a preliminary selection and is on standby in Glasgow in case he is needed for the Italian game.

shakermaker1982
25/03/2009, 12:15 PM
McShane at centre back could be interesting....played well against the Czech's many moons ago but he must be a little rusty since being recalled by Sunderland. When was the last time he even played centre back for club/country?

Wolfie
25/03/2009, 12:24 PM
McShane at centre back could be interesting....played well against the Czech's many moons ago but he must be a little rusty since being recalled by Sunderland. When was the last time he even played centre back for club/country?

It would be risky, no two ways about it.

I'd resist the temptation to tamper with the Dunne / O'Shea partnership. Its not perfection by any stretch but if it aint broke don't fix it!!!