PDA

View Full Version : Books on History of Clubs & Leagues in Ireland

historynut
19/03/2009, 12:29 AM
Always interested in collecting books on Irish club & League history's.
Have -
Clubs :-
Athlone Town, Dundalk, Drogheda, Shamrock Rovers (2), Finn Harps, Sligo Rovers, Derry City(3), Home Farm, Waterford United.Killybegs, Adare United
Leagues :-
League of Ireland
Alex Graham 1921-2004
Niall McSweeny 1921-1984
Gerry Desmond & Dave Galvin Annuals 91/92, 92/93, 93/94
League of Ireland Handbook Annuals 1991, 1992,1998/99, 2000, 2001/02
Munster Senior League
Cork Aul
Mayo League
South Tipperay & District League
Donegal League
Inishowen Senior Soccer Players

If there are others out there please let me know

Dunny
19/03/2009, 12:31 AM
New book about Shels coming out if it's any use to you.

http://www.libertiespress.com/index.php?option=com_cartage&main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=62

Mr A
19/03/2009, 10:08 AM
There's a book on senior footballers from Inishowen, that may even have been the title.

I can't recall more details than that but might have a look at the house to see if I can find you more on that.

seand
19/03/2009, 12:07 PM
Two others I can think of...
'Strings of my Harps', Patsy McGowan (Harps manager) published in the 90s I think
'From the Lodge to the Box' by Plunkett Carter, published about 1994. Good history of Cork soccer, lots on Cork Hibs in particular. Pretty hard to find though.

There are at least 5 Shamrock Rovers books... 'The Hoops' history by Doolin/Goggins (very hard to find, I'm still looking for one!); a history by Willoughby; a centenary history by Robert Goggins; We Are Rovers by Eoghan Rice; Dyed in the Wool by fan Robin Brewett

Sheridan
19/03/2009, 12:12 PM
We Are Rovers by Eoghan Rice
That one's hilarious, the amount of myth-making and rationalisation in it is unreal. Apparently no-one came to Milltown because Shamrock Rovers were too successful (which is presumably why the Nou Camp, Celtic Park and the San Siro are empty every week.)

Dodge
19/03/2009, 12:38 PM
And look at the job he's in now! gulp...

Sheridan
19/03/2009, 12:59 PM
That's why I'd never register with that site...

gspain
20/03/2009, 7:23 AM
That one's hilarious, the amount of myth-making and rationalisation in it is unreal. Apparently no-one came to Milltown because Shamrock Rovers were too successful (which is presumably why the Nou Camp, Celtic Park and the San Siro are empty every week.)

He may have a point as they were too dominant. They appeared to get better crowds under Giles and the early McLaughlin days. I would have been at most of the Limerick games from the late 70's until they left Milltown and the crowds did appear to fall away in the mid 80's.

They were the most dominant team I can recall in the league. We were still at 2 points for a win and they won the league by 9 points, 6 points twice and even the year Galway pushed them reasonably close it was never really in doubt. It was 3 double sin a row too and even UCD's cup win in 84 was a massive shock.

stann
20/03/2009, 7:25 AM
Always interested in collecting books on Irish club & League history's.
Have -
Clubs :-
Athlone Town, Dundalk, Drogheda, Shamrock Rovers (2), Finn Harps, Sligo Rovers, Derry City(3), Home Farm, Waterford United.Killybegs, Adare United
If there are others out there please let me know

Don't know which Blues book you have historynut, presume it's one of the Brian Kennedy ones?
He has written two now though, Singing The Blues which is more a collection of facts, figures and history in general, and Blue, White & Dynamite which is more on the anecdote and reminiscence side.
Both highly recommended though, for all LoI fans. :)

gspain
20/03/2009, 9:18 AM
Don't know which Blues book you have historynut, presume it's one of the Brian Kennedy ones?
He has written two now though, Singing The Blues which is more a collection of facts, figures and history in general, and Blue, White & Dynamite which is more on the anecdote and reminiscence side.
Both highly recommended though, for all LoI fans. :)

There is also the Tony Reid one from the 70's on Waterford.

historynut
20/03/2009, 9:50 AM
Singing the Blues - Brian Kennedy

stann
23/03/2009, 7:04 AM
Ah right.
He's done another one since so, Blue, White & Dynamite it's called. Very good book, better than the first IMO. A load of varied contributors, Tommy Lynch, David Breen and Prince Charles among them, a bit of fiction, even a play!

Never even heard tell of the Tony Reid book, Gary. Hard one to track down now I'd say. Time to get back to trawling through the second-hand bookshops! :D

gspain
23/03/2009, 2:39 PM
Re Waterford history book,

It was produced in 1976 and printed by Abbey Printing (Dublin). The author Tony Reid was a well known and well respected reporter/statistican on Irish football. Tony sadly passed away many years ago while still a young man. It is entitled Waterford yearbook but covers the whole history of the club. There is a foreword from Charman Joe Delaney (John's Dad) which means it was official.

I have never seen it appear on offer or for sale. I'd imagine the local secondhand bookshops would be your best bet.

superfrank
29/03/2009, 12:27 PM
There's a few books available in the Wanderers club shop called Wanderers Stories and (I think) More Wanderers Stories. They're not a history of the club but they contain many fascinating stories about ex-players and such since the 50's, iirc.

It's been years since I read them though.

stann
30/03/2009, 7:56 PM
Re Waterford history book,

It was produced in 1976 and printed by Abbey Printing (Dublin). The author Tony Reid was a well known and well respected reporter/statistican on Irish football. Tony sadly passed away many years ago while still a young man. It is entitled Waterford yearbook but covers the whole history of the club. There is a foreword from Charman Joe Delaney (John's Dad) which means it was official.

I have never seen it appear on offer or for sale. I'd imagine the local secondhand bookshops would be your best bet.

Cheers, Gary, thanks.

ForzaForth
02/04/2023, 9:54 AM
Surprised to find a few copies of a new book in Ferrycarrig yesterday. By Pat Kelly, it's called "It Happened by Chance." Published in 2022, the proceeds are going to charity. Didn't actually know who Pat Kelly is, but he seems to be a former Cork-based referee. Loads of photos in it and looks like a chatty and pleasant read about Pat's career in football.