PDA

View Full Version : Galway

Pages : [1] 2

naoise kennedy
18/03/2009, 7:33 AM
Great start to the season for galway, top of the table, good start for us also two clean sheets, lets hope for another clean sheet and maybe a few goals. I think eddie has to change something up front..

BrayUnknowns
18/03/2009, 8:20 AM
We have been pretty much playing a 4-5-1 this season so it's hard for Byrne upfront on his own, if we stick to that system then it would be even harder for Mulroy or Kelly considering their height.

Personally i'd stick with the same side, it's worked ok so far so no point in changing it really. We have been really unlucky not to score in both games so far and it's not as if we are not creating chances.

But your right, Galway have got off to a flyer. Brilliant start for them and seeing as they were our bogy team last season i think we will be up against it on Friday night, very tough match for us.

Captain2007
18/03/2009, 9:07 AM
Great start to the season for galway, top of the table, good start for us also two clean sheets, lets hope for another clean sheet and maybe a few goals. I think eddie has to change something up front..

Eddie will have to change it, Paul Byrne suspended for Galway game.

Hulsey
18/03/2009, 8:28 PM
Mulroy deserves his game,not convinced about Forsyth tbh

To be fair Forsythe has only got a few minutes in both outings so it's very harsh to form a negative opinion of him when he hasn't had enough time on the pitch to make any kind of impact

BrayUnknowns
19/03/2009, 1:32 PM
I'd tend to agree with that, there is not a hope in hell that a player should be judged on 2 sub apperances. He is new to the club and needsd time to settle and when he gets games under his belt he will do well for us but to judge him after 2 bit part apperances is plain silly

Mr Maroon
19/03/2009, 6:53 PM
For us, Dave Cooke returns from injury but I'd say he'll only make it onto the bench. John Russell and Johnathan Keane are still out.

naoise kennedy
19/03/2009, 7:39 PM
For us, Dave Cooke returns from injury but I'd say he'll only make it onto the bench. John Russell and Johnathan Keane are still out.

I read in a paper today that there will be a scout from west ham for tomorrows match looking at jay o shea..

centre mid
19/03/2009, 7:41 PM
Dont fancy us at all if we cant score, Galway look a good side at the moment to me.

Mr Maroon
19/03/2009, 8:34 PM
I read in a paper today that there will be a scout from west ham for tomorrows match looking at jay o shea..

Yeah, apparently they watched him during the Pats match aswell. They're supposed to be sending their chief scout over this time.

naoise kennedy
19/03/2009, 9:06 PM
Yeah, apparently they watched him during the Pats match aswell. They're supposed to be sending their chief scout over this time.
At least this time he might be going to good team.. i've been a hammers fan for years.

Weatherman
19/03/2009, 9:39 PM
dont think this game is looking good! galway are the form team at the minute n o'shea always ups his game against us. foster is doing a great job and without paul byrne we have no proven goalscorer including forsythe. lots of players who can beat a man or three but none with an end product. mccabe n coughlan cant cross a ball or even test the keeper most of the time n paddy is amazing but he's not the answer up front.

Terry-Lander
20/03/2009, 10:08 AM
Take it easy on yourselves.............you may not have scored but you haven't conceeded either. Obviously my heart says a win for us but I would be content with a point. I fear this one more than last weeks.

Just hope the pressure of the transfer talk and scouts doesn't get to Jay for his own sake.

BrayUnknowns
20/03/2009, 10:56 AM
Take it easy on yourselves.............you may not have scored but you haven't conceeded either. Obviously my heart says a win for us but I would be content with a point. I fear this one more than last weeks.

Just hope the pressure of the transfer talk and scouts doesn't get to Jay for his own sake.

I'd have to agree with you there, i think your ladas are a little over the top. Bray have never been a free scoring team , we have always struggled to find the net consistantly over the years BUT we have always been a hard team to play against and have done well for the past 5 seasons proving our worth in the Premier. This season we have played 2 and drawn 2, no goals scored and none conceeded, but it's not as if we hav'nt created any chances, in both games we have created the better goalscoring chances and hit the post and bar in both games, we have also finished the stronger team in both games.

Galway have had a dream start to the new season and are high on confidence but that will have to end at some stage and if we get a bit of luck tonigt then it could be us that inflict Galway's 1st defeat of the season. Galway were our bogy team last season and even with all of Eddies work and talk i'm sure that will play on our players mind a bit, it should be a tight enough game but ya just never know in football...

Scouts have been looking at Jay for the past year and a move to Derby fell though. If anything all the attention and talk has made Jay step his game up to a completely new level so i have no doubts that a scout from West Ham would put him off his game at all...

Weatherman
20/03/2009, 2:50 PM
Foster should do a 'keely' and keep o'shea on the bench to wade of any intrest in him!!!

That would suit us nicely anyway!!!!!

tippex
20/03/2009, 6:14 PM
Hopefully there will be a decent home crowd at the game. Although I'm not holding my breath on that one....

gufcfan
20/03/2009, 6:16 PM
Is East Coast FM carrying any commentary?

Galway Bay are a bit hit and miss. Often end up talking bogball in the studio instead of covering the match.

tippex
20/03/2009, 6:25 PM
I don't think so but never too sure.
I was hoping to have the match tracker set up but trying to get my site sorted first and work being what it is took priority.

naoise kennedy
20/03/2009, 9:25 PM
Where do you start.. we loose our main striker in the first five minutes, then we are one down, paddy gets a great header one all. Another goal against us through bad defending then paddy goes off and its not half time.
Second half we played much better,ok we did'nt play that bad in the first half but there was an improvement, massey defended ok but then passed the ball to galway every time..
Hand ball from a fantastic strike with five minutes left, up steps gary who was having a good game anyway and it's 2-2.. Can't see why the second penalty was awarded to us but i won't argue, up steps gary again and the goalie saves it..Fair play to gary for stepping up again but there will always be questions, why gary again, why the same side again..
But we came back in the second half, deserved the point and we could have got all three.. good fighting spirit in the second half and we held galway, the league leaders.. and still undefeated..

Weatherman
20/03/2009, 9:28 PM
Any updates on the 2 lads??? Why did mccabe hit it in the first place?? i know he scored but just shows the lack of set piece takers we have since cawley left

superfrank
20/03/2009, 9:30 PM
Second pen was for a foul by Davoren on McCabe on the far side.

McCabe took it because, I'm guessing, he scored the first one. Can't fault him really. He went the same way but loads of people will do that.

Thought McCabe had a cracking game for us. Defo our MOTM.

Weatherman
20/03/2009, 9:34 PM
was'nt at the game meself but what was the team n how did everybody play??

naoise kennedy
20/03/2009, 9:36 PM
Any updates on the 2 lads??? Why did mccabe hit it in the first place?? i know he scored but just shows the lack of set piece takers we have since cawley left

I was asking a few people after match about the two lads,, they reckon forsyth could have cracked ribs,it would be very hard luck for forsyth, his first chance to impress and this happens hope its not that bad though,, paddy did look like an angle injury..i agree about gary and set pieces.. i actually thought that massey might have a go since he has a good left foot for the free kicks..

naoise kennedy
20/03/2009, 9:40 PM
Thought McCabe had a cracking game for us. Defo our MOTM.[/quote]

McCabe did have a great game, huge improvement from last match. I can't knock him for second peno..

Weatherman
20/03/2009, 9:45 PM
I was asking a few people after match about the two lads,, they reckon forsyth could have cracked ribs,it would be very hard luck for forsyth, his first chance to impress and this happens hope its not that bad though,, paddy did look like an angle injury..i agree about gary and set pieces.. i actually thought that massey might have a go since he has a good left foot for the free kicks..

very hard to pick a player to take the set pieces, the game against rovers we wasted loads of gud chances by just hitting a short pass where as cawley would have buried at least one of them. hope the injuries ar'nt that serious. we dont really have any dept in the squad this year. did brennan play??

naoise kennedy
20/03/2009, 9:51 PM
very hard to pick a player to take the set pieces, the game against rovers we wasted loads of gud chances by just hitting a short pass where as cawley would have buried at least one of them. hope the injuries ar'nt that serious. we dont really have any dept in the squad this year. did brennan play??

Brennan and mucahy played in centre mid. mulcahy made some good recovery tackles they both played well.. massey did have some terrible passes but did'nt play that bad really, the ref was the only person that had a crap game,, well up to the 85 minute.

Weatherman
20/03/2009, 9:54 PM
brennan centre mid?? defo thought he'd be playing centre back. dont rate him as a midfielder but then he didnt play often enough for pats to rate properly

Grey Boy
20/03/2009, 10:16 PM
That game had pretty much everything. For 2 supposedly good defences there were an awful lot of goal scoring chances. I don't think Brennan would merit a place in our defence at the moment tbh. Galway look like they will score a shed load of goals this year. Faherty and O' Shea are formidable. If we are the 2 pre season favourites to go down then this augurs well for the league as a whole as there was a lot of skill out there tonight from both teams. Having said that we should have won - again. Draw was probably the right result though.

Solid enough start, this time last year we had 1 point and people were on here looking for Gormleys head.

Grey Boy
20/03/2009, 10:19 PM
Does anyone know the extent of the injuries tonight yet?

superfrank
20/03/2009, 10:28 PM
No, but pretty sure both were taking off in the ambulance.

tippex
20/03/2009, 10:32 PM
Yep both went off in the ambulance and from the looks of it both could be out for a while. If forsyth has done his ribs it could be about 6 weeks and paddy god only knows at this stage.

BTW the ref was awful talk about card happy....

superfrank
20/03/2009, 10:33 PM
Yeah he was but he calmed down in the second half. There were a few heavy tackles that would have been cards in the first half.

naoise kennedy
20/03/2009, 10:34 PM
Yep both went off in the ambulance and from the looks of it both could be out for a while. If forsyth has done his ribs it could be about 6 weeks and paddy god only knows at this stage.

BTW the ref was awful talk about card happy....

If our first peno was for hand ball against breen why was he not sent off...

Grey Boy
20/03/2009, 10:45 PM
If our first peno was for hand ball against breen why was he not sent off...

I think at that speed it would have been a bit harsh. I thought Mc Cabe was probably a bit lucky to be on the pitch before he stepped up in fairness. He is a bit petulant at times, puts a foot in when he's lost the ball a lot. He did this a bit too often tonight and was lucky not to get a couple of yellows. Was Forans booking right. Thought he won the ball fair and square.

tippex
20/03/2009, 10:45 PM
I reckon if he had've been sent off it would have been harsh. Conceeding a peno was enough.

centre mid
21/03/2009, 12:45 AM
Does anyone know the extent of the injuries tonight yet?

Dont think Forsyth is that bad but Kavanagh has done ankle ligaments.

centre mid
21/03/2009, 12:50 AM
Thought McCabe had a cracking game for us. Defo our MOTM.

Cant agree with that. Was very poof in the first half, seemed intend on kicking Jay O'Shea. Touch was poor and struggled to get into the game in the first half. Totally different second half, was brimming with confidence and was excellent.

I thought Stephen Brennan had a really good game, tired after about 70 mins but his distribution was good and always looked to get involved, never afraid to get stick in. Looks a good signing.

naoise kennedy
21/03/2009, 9:13 AM
Dont think Forsyth is that bad but Kavanagh has done ankle ligaments.

Has this been confirmed or just speculation hopefully its not this bad, john flood also went off with what looked like an angle injury.. this could be a very costly draw, looseing three players.

Seagull
21/03/2009, 10:32 AM
Was very poof in the first half

There's no need for that...:D

BrayUnknowns
21/03/2009, 12:11 PM
Really entertaining game of ball last night in the Carlisle. We started very brightly and then the injury to Forsyth knocked us. How the Galway centre half didn't get a booking for his tackle is beyond he, especially seeing as how the ref was so card happy ! Both of Galway's goals came against the run of play IMO but we showed a lot of spirit and dertermination to come back twice. 1st half was very even, apart from the 2 goals, which by the way we gifted to Galway, Skippy had one save to make. We deserved to be level at half time, Galway were not better than us. 2nd half Bray upped it steadily throughout the half, only a couple of fantastic save from Ryan and a last ditch tackle kept Galway in the game. Both penos were stone wall penos, my only compliant is that the ref didnt book either Galway player for stopping goal scoring chances. Galway crumbled in the last 5-10 minutes when we applied real pressure and they were hanging on your thrre lives at the end. Dissapointed we only drew looking back at it.

O'Shea was very poor for most of the game last night. Mulcahy had another very good game in the middle for us, excellent player going forward and defending. McCabe 2nd half tore the Galway right back apart.

Just on the 2nd peno, Ryan was about 4 yards off his line when he saved it.

gufcfan
21/03/2009, 1:14 PM
Match Highlights available below.

High definition - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8EkJ1L_nYA&fmt=22

Normal quality - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8EkJ1L_nYA

Maroon 7
21/03/2009, 1:25 PM
Match Highlights available below.

High definition - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8EkJ1L_nYA&fmt=22

Normal quality - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8EkJ1L_nYA

2nd penalty was just outside the box. Went down looking for it anyway.

naoise kennedy
21/03/2009, 4:10 PM
No, but pretty sure both were taking off in the ambulance.

Any more news on the two lads injuries.. you can add john flood to that list also..

Hulsey
22/03/2009, 12:12 AM
very hard to pick a player to take the set pieces, the game against rovers we wasted loads of gud chances by just hitting a short pass where as cawley would have buried at least one of them.

Lads, last season Cawley scored 2 free kicks, with more of them being poor than good. Both goals were due to bad goal keeping errors. Can't help but feel his free kicks are being slightly romantisied at the moment due to the lack of a regular taker this season.

Weatherman
22/03/2009, 11:06 AM
Lads, last season Cawley scored 2 free kicks, with more of them being poor than good. Both goals were due to bad goal keeping errors. Can't help but feel his free kicks are being slightly romantisied at the moment due to the lack of a regular taker this season.

Yeah but we always looked like we had a chance of scoring from them and even his delivery into the box from a good few free's was superb as in now its the opposite, massey is alrite, can be a bit wild at times but he will only mature

dublinwanderer
22/03/2009, 2:52 PM
Cawley might not have scored all the time, but at least his deliveries looked dangerous and caused defenses problems. We are missing a good set piece player.

Hulsey
23/03/2009, 12:41 PM
The problem isn't that the corners are bad, 1 or 2 quality deliveries against Galway, the problem is no one gambling to get on the end of them

Weatherman
23/03/2009, 1:09 PM
The problem isn't that the corners are bad, 1 or 2 quality deliveries against Galway, the problem is no one gambling to get on the end of them

I have to disagree with you there now, maybe against galway yeah but in the other games our final ball hasnt been the best, corners included. last year we had myler, rowe, o'keefe and dunphy to aim for up front and this year byrne and forsythe are probly better in the air then the other four put together so if anything its the deliveries thats the problem, i mean daire doyle doesnt even go up for corners n he's taller then most of the team

get on to it eddie!!:D

Hulsey
24/03/2009, 12:00 AM
Against Rovers the corners were poor, but I thought the corners v Drogs and Galway for the most part were good. A more adventurous approach to attacking them is needed if they are to bare fruit

naoise kennedy
24/03/2009, 7:36 AM
Against Rovers the corners were poor, but I thought the corners v Drogs and Galway for the most part were good. A more adventurous approach to attacking them is needed if they are to bare fruit

speaking of our attacking approach, any word on the two lads,, paddy and forsyth injuries..

Hulsey
24/03/2009, 5:41 PM
Was up the Carlisle today picking up the new jersey and Paddy was on crutches. Didn't get a chance to chat to him cos had to head collage but it doesn't look good