PDA

View Full Version : Sligo Tips

Iorfa2MaccaJim
17/03/2009, 6:32 PM
Hi lads.

I have probably mentioned before that I am coming up to Sligo, in a couple of weeks. I have the best part of a day in the city. I was just wondering, I will coming up with my family, and I have never been to Sligo. Could someone give my some tips on what to see and do in " The Place of Hearts Desire "

Thanks lads.

Mr Maroon
17/03/2009, 6:51 PM
Hi lads.

I have probably mentioned before that I am coming up to Sligo, in a couple of weeks. I have the best part of a day in the city. I was just wondering, I will coming up with my family, and I have never been to Sligo. Could someone give my some tips on what to see and do in " The Place of Hearts Desire "

Thanks lads.

There's a city in Sligo?

Red&White Rover
17/03/2009, 6:59 PM
Yeah. With drinkable water too.

avvenalaf
17/03/2009, 8:50 PM
Hi lads.

Thanks lads.

If you want to do The Yeats Thing, climb Dooney Rock (The Fiddler of Dooney). Good views over Lough Gill and it's not a hard climb. You can visit the Yeats grave in Drumcliffe. There's a really good pub/restaurant down there (Davis) serving good nosh all day. If the row with Sligo Council is sorted and it's open again, Lisadell House and Gardens (home of Countess Markievitz) is well worth a visit. Feeling real energetic? Climb Knocknarea to Queen Maeves's Grave and view a rake of counties from the top. When you come down go into Strandhill and have a seaweed bath at Celtic Seaweed. You can then go surfing on the finest surf in Europe.
Of course, if it's ****ing as usual, go to The Showgrounds and watch the lads train.
Hope this helps.

Iorfa2MaccaJim
17/03/2009, 9:18 PM
WOW !

Thank you very much Avvenalaf. I've definately got a few ideas there. The reason I only have a day in Sligo, is because I am heading to Ballybofey on the following day to see Stephen Hendersons' Mighty Blues
hammer Finn Harps.

Hopefully i'll be alright saying that on this forum. :)

brianw82
17/03/2009, 9:30 PM
I'd agree with what Avvenalaf says. I find there's more to see around the county than in the town itself.

Rosses Point is also a nice spot if the day is good. There's a looooooooong beach there if you fancy a walk.

Mr Maroon
17/03/2009, 9:54 PM
Yeah. With drinkable water too.

Glad to hear it. We have one of them too.

Iorfa2MaccaJim
23/03/2009, 1:52 PM
Hi lads.

Just a small update on my trip to " The Land of Hearts Desire " in April.
I book my hotel last night, so I'd just like to thank yoou for all ye're help.