Farsley Celtic-England
West Allotment Celtic-England

Estar
07/12/2003, 11:04 AM
Lourdes Celtic - Duff played for them I think. Dublin

Castlebar Celtic - Mayo

DruggyDrog
07/12/2003, 12:14 PM
I think its teams who do not play in this country that he's interested in, teams that may have been started by ex-pats, etc. I'm sure the likes of Canada and the US must have a few.

Ruairi
07/12/2003, 3:43 PM
Originally posted by Conor74

Borris In Ossory

ooh ooh, TWO MILE BORRIS!!! MAD!!!

Colin T played with Casement Celtic

liam88
07/12/2003, 4:21 PM
Originally posted by DruggyDrog
teams that may have been started by ex-pats, etc. I'm sure the likes of Canada and the US must have a few.

Sod Celtic in the US-www.sodceltic.com hehe sounds like a 'gers site;)

EireBadBoy
07/12/2003, 5:36 PM
:D Seeing is believing!! What a Team! (http://www.sodceltic.com/home.htm)

crc
08/12/2003, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Ruairi
ooh ooh, TWO MILE BORRIS!!! MAD!!!

we could just turn it into a post of ridiculous placenames. i found a place called 'BOOBYGLASS' on a map once, its in Co.Kilkenny.

------

On the original point, you could include non-soccer teams like Boston Celtics (basketball).

SÓC
08/12/2003, 10:32 AM
Ya really have to feel sorry for Ossory. He has all of Borris' Two miles in him.

Ouch

Also you can never forget Mullagh in County Meath.

Paddy Ramone
08/12/2003, 11:26 AM
There's also Stalybridge Celtic.

How many teams are called Hibs or Hibernian in Ireland? Hibernian means Irish. There was a Cork Hibs and an Athlone Hibs. Any others?

gustavo
08/12/2003, 2:19 PM
in the sligo leitrim leagues theres
ballygawley celtic
calry celtic
strand celtic
gurteen celtic
ballymote celtic
innisfree celtic
aughanagh celtic
cloonamahon celtic
treacy celtic
aclare celtic
and
manornhamilton rangers

Paddy Ramone
08/12/2003, 2:58 PM
Originally posted by gustavo
in the sligo leitrim leagues theres
ballygawley celtic
calry celtic
strand celtic
gurteen celtic
ballymote celtic
innisfree celtic
aughanagh celtic
cloonamahon celtic
treacy celtic
aclare celtic
and
manornhamilton rangers

Brother Walfrid, the Marist Brother who founded Glasgow Celtic was from Ballymote, Co Sligo which explains how Ballymote Celtic got their name.

Sean Fallon one of Celtic's most famous ever players and trainer of the Lisbon Lions was from Sligo Town.

This might explain the large number of Celtics in Sligo and Leitrim.

Macy
08/12/2003, 3:09 PM
Originally posted by Paddy Ramone
This might explain the large number of Celtics in Sligo and Leitrim.
LOL!

In Longford there's Colmcille Celtic...

eamoss
08/12/2003, 3:21 PM
LSL - Quay Celtic - Dundalk
M&D - Rock Celtic - Blackrock, Dundalk

Paddy Ramone
08/12/2003, 3:24 PM
I also should mention that Sean Fallon was educated by the Marist Brothers in Sligo Town where he learned about Brother Walfrid and the Marist connection with Celtic. There seems to be a fairly strong between Celtic and Sligo.

TheRealRovers
08/12/2003, 6:57 PM
There seems to be a fairly strong between Celtic and Sligo.
Ya I think the North West has strongest links Celtic then any other region in Ireland because of all the history.
Don't forget Castlerea Celtic in Roscommon I think they are one of the oldest teams in Ireland.

Paddy Ramone
08/12/2003, 7:35 PM
There's also Castlebar Celtic in County Mayo. They were founded in 1924. Michael Davitt the Irish patriot was born in Mayo and supported Celtic.

Athlone Town claim to be oldest club in Ireland. They were founded in 1887 the year before Celtic formed . There are Marist Brothers in the town.

I read somewhere that Brother Walfrid, the founder of Celtic was living in Athlone before he moved to Glasgow and may have been involved in the founding of the local football club. It mightn't be true though.

Neil
08/12/2003, 7:50 PM
Originally posted by Conor74
Why don't we just do a list of placenames in Ireland. I'll start...

Newtownmountkennedy
Muff
Nobber
Muing, Tralee
Oola
Hospital
Emly
Borris In Ossory
Tubbercurry
Pilltown
Yokeville

TheRealRovers
08/12/2003, 7:56 PM
Originally posted by Neil
Tubbercurry

Real Tubber is the local team there.

thecorner
08/12/2003, 8:46 PM
u didnt mention football or any any sport

boston celtics

Macy
09/12/2003, 7:35 AM
I also should mention that Sean Fallon was educated by the Marist Brothers in Sligo Town where he learned about Brother Walfrid and the Marist connection with Celtic. There seems to be a fairly strong between Celtic and Sligo.
There's enough threads of people trying to justify "Celtic are Irish", don't think we need another one here....

Paddy Ramone
09/12/2003, 8:57 AM
Originally posted by Macy
There's enough threads of people trying to justify "Celtic are Irish", don't think we need another one here....

So are you denying that Celtic have Irish roots and connections, which is just as bad the muppets like who think Celtic are Irish and that it is the patriotic duty of all Irishmen to support them.

But the simple fact is Celtic do have strong Irish connections as do Hibernian. The first soccer club ever founded by Irish people was not in Ireland but Scotland. Hibernian were launched in 1875 on the centenary of Daniel O'Connell's birth. James Connolly as young boy was present in the hall then.

It was clubs like Hibernian, Celtic and Manchester United that helped inspire the founding of many Irish football clubs. I wonder were Cork Hibs called after Edinburgh Hibs. Also the large numbers of the very English sounding Uniteds was surely inspired by the likes of Man Utd and Leeds Utd.

The simple fact Macy whether you like or not, soccer is a British sport which brought here as the garrison game or brought here by Irish people who lived in Britain. To deny otherwise is revisionism.

Estar
11/12/2003, 8:27 PM
I read somewhere that Brother Walfrid, the founder of Celtic was living in Athlone before he moved to Glasgow and may have been involved in the founding of the local football club. It mightn't be true though.

A bunch of local lads formed a team and played a team from The British army based in Athlone Barracks.

Athlone also claim to have the oldest pub in Ireland = Sean's Bar, mmmm! tell us another one.:p

Paddy Ramone
12/12/2003, 9:56 AM
Originally posted by Estar
A bunch of local lads formed a team and played a team from The British army based in Athlone Barracks.

Athlone also claim to have the oldest pub in Ireland = Sean's Bar, mmmm! tell us another one.:p

What I should I said that Athlone Town claim to be the oldest surviving club in the Republic of Ireland, formed in 1887 (the oldest Irish club is Cliftonville in the north). There are Marist Brothers in Athlone and there is evidence that Brother Walfrid lived in the town. I have an edition of the Celtic View from the mid 90's where some Marist Brothers are holding up a photograph of Brother Walfrid while he was living in Athlone.

Not only does Athone have the oldest pub in Ireland but also produced Ireland's (and the world's) first pop star, the opera singer John McCormack. :D

gspain
12/12/2003, 10:54 AM
I'm convinced.

Now I trust you will also agree that Rangers are Irish and we should all abandon our national league teams and support them too. Many Irish teams are called after Rangers eg

Park Rangers (Shannon)
Fairview Rangers (Limerick)
Palmerstown Rangers (Dublin)
St Marks Rangers (Dublin)
Valley Rangers (Waterford)
Vale Rangers (Dublin)
Manor Rangers (Sligo/Leitrim presume Manorhamilton in Leitrim)
Gorey Rangers (wexford)
Fethard Rangers (Wexford)
Tramore Rangers (waterford)
and many many more.....

and of course Kevin Moran started out at Rangers FC a schoolboy club in Dublin

Paddy Ramone
12/12/2003, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by gspain
I'm convinced.

Now I trust you will also agree that Rangers are Irish and we should all abandon our national league teams and support them too. Many Irish teams are called after Rangers

They could be called after Queen's Park Rangers. :D

Rangers got their name from a list of English rugby clubs so it wasn't original whereas Glasgow Celtic were certainly the first Celtic. I'd say most Celtics were called after them.

I never said that people should abondon supporting their national league teams. Unfortunately most of the Irish national team are based in Britain which means more support for British teams at the expense of Irish teams. And no one can deny most of top teams in Britain have strong Irish connections including Rangers. :D

Duncan Gardner
13/12/2003, 9:43 AM
Grace Neill's in Donaghadee, Co. Down also claims to be Ireland's oldest pub. Keats, Thackeray and even Emperor Peter the Great all stood their round there.

sadloserkid
13/12/2003, 4:20 PM
They could be called after Queen's Park Rangers. :D

Rangers got their name from a list of English rugby clubs so it wasn't original whereas Glasgow Celtic were certainly the first Celtic. I'd say most Celtics were called after them.

Well Celtic just nicked their name from a long-dead culture so they shouldn't win many points for originality either!!!

Also, Dundee United (formerly Dundee Harps) have some kind of Irish links too though they've been heavily diluted over the years.

DruggyDrog
13/12/2003, 7:05 PM
Originally posted by Macy

Set up by the Irish, for the Irish. What more do you want?

TheRealRovers
13/12/2003, 10:13 PM
Why the **** is this thread in eL General

Estar
15/12/2003, 7:48 PM
There are Marist Brothers in Athlone and there is evidence that Brother Walfrid lived in the town. I have an edition of the Celtic View from the mid 90's where some Marist Brothers are holding up a photograph of Brother Walfrid while he was living in Athlone.

:D

What your saying is probably correct, as the Marist School is next door to St. Mels.

Colm
15/12/2003, 8:48 PM
thread moved to general football

liam88
16/12/2003, 5:25 PM
How did Boston Celtics get their name? I take it from the Irish in Boston ;) Though their are lot's elsewhere :confused:

And whoever called Celtic a long dead culture-Celtic jewellry, dance and patrionism is as alive as ever. I take it you don't regard yourself as a Celt ;)

The words Celtic and Hibernians BOTH imply Irishness. If you want to slam Celtic(s) go ahead-no one said Rangers wern't Irish (though I suppose the Union Jacks, Rule Brittania, Royal Blue home kit's and Orange Away kit's suggest to those of us with common sense that they're not :rolleyes: )

Duncan Gardner
16/12/2003, 6:20 PM
Let's compromise and agree that Rangers aren't Irish...

Paddy Ramone
17/12/2003, 9:44 AM
Originally posted by Duncan Gardner
Let's compromise and agree that Rangers aren't Irish...

They've got loads of Northern Irish fans though and all the songs they sing originated in Ireland. :D

Rangers also have strong orange connections and the Orange Order was founded in Ireland, we've even got orange on our flag.:D

sadloserkid
17/12/2003, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by liam88
I take it you don't regard yourself as a Celt ;)

The words Celtic and Hibernians BOTH imply Irishness.

Actually the Celts were from central Europe originally, we've just hijacked the term so the T-shirt industry can throw it onto pictures of shamrocks and leprachauns! :D

Personally I quite like Celtic but am I a Celt? I come from Celtic stock I suppose but so does most of the population of Austria and Hungary if you're to be fair. I prefer to think of myself as being Irish to be honest.

liam88
17/12/2003, 7:31 PM
we've even got orange on our flag.:D

Do you guys still prefer Orange rather than Gold?

Paddy Ramone
18/12/2003, 9:31 AM
Do you guys still prefer Orange rather than Gold?

Well Green, White and Orange are the colours of the Irish flag whether we like or not. Article 7 of Bunreacht na hEireann states that the National Flag is the Tricolour of Green, White and Orange.
The confusion between Orange and Gold is because the Irish flag used pre-1916 was the Green Flag with a Gold Harp and Silver (White) strings.

Celtic fans who are always going on about Orange b******s should remember that many of your most famous players were Orangemen, and some of them were even Rangers fans. :D
The great Bertie Peacock who played for Celtic and Northern Ireland in the 50's was an Orangeman from Coleraine. :D

I certainly prefer the Orange to Gold because it represents the hope for reconciliation between the two main traditions on the island. There is supposed to be peace process at the moment. :D
You hardly saying we should get rid of the Orange in the Tricolour. Maybe you want all the "prods" sent back home to Scotland and England, but the Brits could retaliate and send all the "plastic paddys" who support Celtic back home to us. :D

liam88
20/12/2003, 8:42 PM
I never said anything about changing the Orange or sending anybody back home!
In fact I am a massive support of the peace process (though with the likes of Paisly about it's going to be tough).
I never even said that I preffered Gold to Orange or that I found orange unionist in any way.
I was just asking the question because some Irish I know talk of the Green White and Gold, whilst others (the Wolfe Tones included) talk about the Orange White and Green.
At the end of the day it may not even matter as long as you respect the flag ;)

So if I'm a peace process supported why do I listen to the tones? Don't ask :rolleyes:

liam88
20/12/2003, 8:55 PM
Originally posted by DruggyDrog
Set up by the Irish, for the Irish. What more do you want?

The foot.ie Celtic directory....

Belfast Celtic-No Longer playing
Glasgow Celtic-Scotland
Cork Celtic-No Longer in existance
Farsley Celtic-England
Lourdes Celtic -Dublin
Castlebar Celtic-Mayo
ballygawley Celtic-Sligo
calry Celtic-Sligo
strand Celtic-Sligo
gurteen Celtic-Sligo
ballymote Celtic-Sligo
innisfree Celtic-Sligo
aughanagh Celtic-Sligo
cloonamahon Celtic-Sligo
treacy Celtic-Sligo
aclare Celtic-Sligo
Boston Celtics-Basketball
Sod Celtic-U.S.A
Colmcille Celtic-Longford
Quay Celtic – Dundalk
Rock Celtic - Blackrock, Dundalk

:D Well done lads

A face
21/12/2003, 2:33 PM
Caheragh Celtic - Cork
Gurrane Celtic - Cork
Togher Celtic - Cork
Ilen Celtic - Cork
Castletown Celtic - Cork
Old Chapel Celtic - Cork
Aultagh Celtic - Cork

Footie_Fan
21/12/2003, 7:05 PM
Howth Celtic - Dublin
Castleknock Celtic - Dublin
Swords Celtic - Dublin
Donaghmede Celtic - Dublin

aussie_tim_1798
29/12/2003, 11:35 AM
just want to correct something sadloserkid said. the present-day population of Austria, Hungary, Switzerland, etc, contain very little trace of "Celtic" DNA. we know from plain old history that the East-to-West migrations of the Dark Ages (Avars, Magyars, Huns, etc, etc) pushed ancient populations - those detailed by Greek and Roman writers - out of their original dwelling places. Central Europeans are first and foremost Slavic, then Germanic, then Urgaric, then Asiatic, then Mongolian. then perhaps Celtic.

nlgbbbblth
05/01/2004, 8:06 PM
New Ross Celtic - won FAI Junior Cup in the 1980s

RebelBhoy
06/01/2004, 3:02 PM
Yes the celts origionated on the continent but moved northwards. They ended up in Ireland ,Scotland,Wales,Cornwall,North Spain, North France and a few channel Islands. All these areas have simular langauges and peoples are simular. Therefore "CELTS".

Duncan Gardner
12/01/2004, 7:38 AM
Originally posted by davros
They even accused our erstwhile contributor,Duncan G.,of being an Irish Republican!

Had they done so, they would of course have been correct.

What they actually accused was that I was a "blind Fenian *******".

It's an occupational hazard in football refereeing alas :)

Beavis
12/01/2004, 3:13 PM
Wayside Celtic,beat Waterford in the cup a few years back and win the Leinster Senior league most years

Paddy Ramone
13/01/2004, 8:06 AM
The foot.ie Celtic directory....

Belfast Celtic-No Longer playing
Glasgow Celtic-Scotland
Cork Celtic-No Longer in existance
Farsley Celtic-England
Lourdes Celtic -Dublin
Castlebar Celtic-Mayo
ballygawley Celtic-Sligo